Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element

Comments

• wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    My experience tells me the load limit is strictly a "lawyer" thing. I had two adults and two teens (both over 6') along with luggage and a car top carrier on a road trip last summer....no ill effects. :confuse: I could feel the car carrier when it was windy, but no bottoming out or engine overheating problems.

The true capacity of the Element will likely never be known due to legal issues.

It is important to know the load rating of your tires and inflate them upward (not to the max!) if you will be carrying a load.">
  • bft4x4bft4x4 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 05 EX AWD which I have loaded up like a truck. I have used to haul my junk to the landfill with the rear door bungeed down, and brought home large purchases and I have never noticed any difference. The utility of the E is great. I have also towed two ATVs (600lb each plus trailer), which exceeded the weight but did it none the less with ease. Not bad for a 4 cyl.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds like Gator Greg, with his CR-V. He got about an acre of sod inside his Honda. :D

-juice
  • kyusskyuss Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I are proud owners of an '01 Accord and an '06 Ridgeline. We have been going back and forth for some time between the CR-V and Element (both EX 4WD models)to replace the (2 door)Accord once kids are in the picture. Well we just recently found out that we are going to be parents for the first time so we need to make a decision a little sooner. Here's my question does anyone have experience with both vehicles and an infant... which vehicle is best for loading/unloading a car seat etc.? I have figured at this point the Element would be better without the pillar in the way. As far as we know, both vehicles get almost the same rating based on CR findings. Oh yeah, need to occasionaly haul a 115 lb rottweiler and 85lb lab...is there plenty of room in the back of the Element for dogs this size with the seats up (regardless of their spaztic and chaotic behavior)? Thanks for any input.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Congratulations!!

I can half way help you out - I have dogs (3), but not kids, and own an EX 4wd, Element.

I can tell you that one thing that is nice about loading things into the back seat of the Element (like you would be doing with a car seat), is there is a ton of floorboard space between the front seat and the rear seat. In other words you can open the suicide doors (like you mentioned earlier, no pillar to get in the way), and if you have a heavy load, you can rest it on the floorboard before actually setting the item on the back seat.

The Element is awesome for dogs, because most of the interior can be wiped down (don't have to worry about stains). I did however buy a roll of carpet at the hardware store, and made a huge custom mat for the rear, and a matching mat for the front.

With having said all of this, if I were you, I would buy the CR-V. The Element is a better vehicle for hauling dogs, but the CR-V will probably be better for kids. If you plan on keeping it a long time, the suicide doors would probably be a pain as the kid(s) get older.
  • david_waynedavid_wayne Member Posts: 8
    Congrats on the baby. I have no children, but my grilfriend does, and I have to large dogs myself (Shepherd at 100lbs and a Pit Bull at 50lbs). This vehicle works the best for me. I did invest in a divider, just to make sure the dogs stayed in the back, which was a big help but I don't leave it in the car all the time. (It leaves marks on the ceiling)
    Now, there is one thing that I love about this car: EASY TO CLEAN. Kids spill drinks ALL the time ... the dogs love swimming and then running in every mud puddle they can find, and this car cleans up so well. The previous post recommended a rug for the back, and I agree. I had a customer of mine give me a stack of rubber backed throw rungs and they fit perfectly! They also keep things from sliding all over the place.
    I would also add, the All Wheel Drive is spectacular in the snow and is safe. Up against the CR-V though, I think I might go with the CR-V. I also use my car for my business (painting contractor) so cleaning the inside is really important. If your dogs don't swim in the river (as my dogs do) then you may not need the industrial interior.
    " did invest in a divider, just to make sure the dogs stayed in the back, which was a big help but I don't leave it in the car all the time. (It leaves marks on the ceiling)"

I bought a piece of dense foam, about 1/2" thick, and I then cut a couple of smaller pieces out of it. I put a piece of foam between the ceiling, and the tensioner bars - this seems to eliminate marks on the ceiling.

In my opinion, the Element is a great vehicle if you don't own a truck. This past weekend, I took the rear seats out, and took it to the garden center and bought 30 bales of pine needles (20 in 1 trip, and 10 in the second). It only took me about 30 minutes worth of cleaning to get the interior looking brand new again. All I had to do was vacuum the inside, and wipe down the interior and floor with a damp rag - I also had to lift up the floor panel that covers the spare tire, and vacuum down in there. I then reinstalled the custom carpeting panel I mentioned earlier, and put the seats back in. I was literally done in 30 minutes.
  • troubledogtroubledog Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 element and have never had a windshield crack before now. That is the only thing i don't like about the element so far and wonder if others are having the same problem or is it just me winning the lottery over and over again?!!! oh yea.....the clock could be a bit larger for my middle aged eyes
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    Any vehicle with a flatter windshield will crack more easily. Jeep Wranglers are especially prone to chips. I believe the 03 (and maybe the 04) Elements had a faulty windshield clip? that made the windshield more prone to cracking and Honda would replace these.

We have 85k on our 04 and have fortunately had to replace only once. We have gravel/rock quarries very close so it is very common for us to get chips.
  • rog96rog96 Member Posts: 21
    Put your new turbo diesel with tiptronic in the Element soon! I drive a Sprinter at work (turbo 5 cyl w/tiptronic) and it is quick and efficient - for a delivery van. Relatively quiet too.
  • pinto00pinto00 Member Posts: 1
    If any consolation, my 06 Element with 7K miles thus far used up two wind shields already. It's same route to work everyday, the wind shield on my previous two cars last 100K with no issue. With Element, I tried stay under 65 m/h to minimize possible impact, but to no effect. Now I just drive with a cracked wind shield and be done with it.
  • ragetsragets Member Posts: 63
    I just got my deal done and made and I'm getting a 2007 Honda Element EX 4wd. It's silver and TOTALLY awesome. I'll probably go get it next week sometime. Tell you guys about it later. :D
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk to Honda owners who researched safety ratings before making their purchase. Please reply to [email protected] no later than Thursday, March 29, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
  • holdie1holdie1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.

I'm looking at the element, and I'm curious what folks think about the 2wd versus 4wd. I don't feel like i NEED the 4wd per se (not driving in snow, over mountains, etc.) so i guess i'm feeling like i'm inclined not to pay for it. but thought i'd throw it out to the group.
  • bergiebergie Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 07 LX that I love. My only concern is in backing up, I don't feel comfortable with not being able to see well out the back. Has anyone installed a backup sensor?
    If so, what have you used? I am not real crazy about drilling holes in the bumper so I was thinking about a license plate mounted one. I have found one on the net for about $150 but I know nothing about them so I am leery about just jumping out and buying one.
    How much snowfall do you get in your area per year?

Do you drive on the beach?

Do you drive on dirt or gravel roads often?

If not, FWD costs less and saves gas. But if you can justify the AWD, it's a more complete vehicle and will likely be easier to re-sell later.
    Hey guys! I just got my Element yesterday. I got the Cargo Cover as an accessory, but I need to know how to remove it and install it back in. Does anyone know how? Easy steps, please. :D
    Never mind I found out how to get it out.

Thanks anyways!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, what was the trick?

(Someone in 3 years will buy a used one and will show up here searching for the same answer ;) ).
    Well, I thought I would try different things and see if I could get it to come out. I looked for a release button or any other clue or something on getting it out, then I thought about it. All you have to do is pull the two black pieces that hold the screen against the wall and pull them toward the center of the screen roll and it pops right out. Not as hard as it sounds. I just love my Element. It is the greatest car ever. Love the whole thing! :D
    Great - thanks!

And enjoy the ride. :D
  • umpoutumpout Member Posts: 2
    hello all, I was wondering on the comfort of the element. I have a herniated disk in my lower back and my 1992 honda prelude is killing me....thank you :sick:
    I own a 2007 Honda Element EX and I love how comfortable the seats are. Everyone that has rode with me say that they are one of the most comfortable seats they have sat in, in a car. I have to agree with them. The seats coupled with the head room, combine to make the most comfortable car my family has had!
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    See the Odyssey Accessories and Modifications forum.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Element* 3,187 5,216 -41.2% 16,728 22,125 -25.0%

The -41.2% is May'07 vs May '06, the -25% in year-to-date '07 vs. '06. Looks like Element sales are declining faster now. WHY??
    A brand new CR-V sitting right next to it in the showrooms.

Interestingly, when the Element came out, it never cannibalized the CR-V. This new CR-V is hurting the Element a bit, though.

Perhaps because Honda took some risks with the styling this time around, the CR-V isn't as generic any more. Before, anyone who found the CR-V boring would get an Element. Now, the CR-V is a bit more adventurous, and my theory is that's cannibalizing a few Element sales.

But what do I know, that's just a conspiracy theory. :D
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Member Posts: 10
    HOT DOGS?

Considering getting an Element for my two Newfoundland dogs but am concerned about (1): getting sufficient air back to them since the rear windows don't open much and, (2): if I get the EX with the skylight, does the available sunshade protect enough from the heat? I don't know if the AC provides enough power to adequately cool the "dog area."

Has anyone had problems with cooling/ventilating the Element?
    We have an '06 EX, 4wd, and the a/c seems pretty good.

If you roll down the front windows, and pop the sunroof up (leave it in, just open it), and open the rear, pop-out windows, you get a pretty good breaze flowing through.

In terms of the sun shade, I don't have one, but I was under the impression you weren't supposed to drive with the sunshade in place, but I may be wrong.
  • k2qok2qo Member Posts: 10
    Hi Gang,

My Buick Rendezvous is about ready for replacement. About 4 times per year I engage in Roving which is part of an amateur radio contest that involves loading a vehicle with all man manner of VHF, UHF and microwave gear along with antennas for 10 bands.

See this for details; just click on Rover at the top of the page.

www.buffalo.edu/~msadams

Now, my questions are:

1. What is the height from the floor in the rear to the ceiling?

2. What is the average width of the back area with the seats removed?

3. Any issues with Yakima roof racks? That is what I have now.

I must say that the Buick has been really good. Lifetime fuel econ with AWD has been 19.5 and I have 75,000K mi on the clock. It is VERY comfortable and the AWD is decent. But Buick no longer makes this SUV and the 2007's were only made with FWD. The [non-permissible content removed] of this is that I qualify for GM employee discount and the only GM vehicles that are suitable for roving are $35K to start! I simply will NOT pay that much.

Best regards,
    Mark K2QO
    Nothing wrong with Yak (or Thule) racks except the price.
    Has Anyone used the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred Tires?

If so, did they decrease MPG?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please try Honda Element Tires and Wheels.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • vamuralivamurali Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 2005 Honda element EX 4WD. I found one for $17000 which included the 7yr/100,000 miles warranty transfer and accessories like tow package, cargo mats, liner etc.

Please let me know if this is a good offer to go for and also the experience with Honda element.

Thanks
    Tony
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    I am a 30 year old guy and I have a lot of time off from my job on a regular basis. It just struck me that it would be cool to zip off on road trips without always having to find a hotel room- but I have no desire to drive a bus/RV and have a separate other car. My current car is 14 years old and I live in New England- I'm due for a new car, and would get the 4 wheel drive Element. Is sleeping in the Element something you would only do in an emergency, or are there ways of making it ok for 1 person? I see there's some sort of tent accessory, but it's apparently not weatherproof. I guess I am looking for a better version of an old VW bus
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Member Posts: 10
    There is a company (the only company, apparently) that makes a compact pop-top camper for the Honda Element. It may be just what you're after. Check out ursaminorvehicles.com. Good luck.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    That looks just like my bag, yeah baby, yeah. Thanks for the tip. Sorry for the bad Austin Powers.
    That tent is sooooo awesome!!!!!!!!! I would love to get it for my 2007 but they are only available in California (I live in Ohio) and it cost $4000 all together. Just got my car so no money for that right now. Maybe in two years. :)
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    It is a super cool set up. I had the fortune to meet Ursa Minor and got to check out his creation. It is solidly engineered, and well executed. The craftsmanship and the material choices are first rate, adding only ~100lbs to the vehicle. The $3,500.-- + are well spent on this quality addition.
    So I went to visit an old friend over the 4th, and noticed a pair of Elements in the drive way.

Sure enough, her husband had one first, and she liked it so much that she bought one too!

I asked about how they use them, and the only difference is that he leaves his seats out, while she keeps them in.

Both were RT4WD. His is a bit older, hers was new.

Any other families with TWO Elements? :)
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    Oh Yes,

check on www.elementownersclub.com and search '2 E Family' ...

It is not very common yet but I have seen several 2 E families and many multiple Honda families. Pssst, - I got 4...
    Four?! You're allowed to buy other cars, ya know? ;)
  • harry28harry28 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know what Honda charges for the equipment and to install this in a new car? The car I want has it already installed, but I would rather not pay for it.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I just bought my E last night and im trying to figure out if i get REAL stations thru XM or just these funny weather channels and channels that tell how to order XM. I already have a Sirius set up that i can take between my vehicals so i will mainly be using that, except that with sept and oct coming XM has mlb. And id hate to miss a game while going on a road trip ;)
    I had read a lot of posts in which people's Element's panels had faded over time. I've had mine since April and the panels started to fade. I was at my friend's house, who is a mechanic, and he was showing this stuff to me for my tires to make them Shinier and look brand new. It was pretty cool. I told him about the panels. He put the stuff on them and it took the fading away and made the panels look great. It is called "Wet'N' Protect "Wet" Tire Finish". But anyways, just spray some on a rag and apply it to the faded area. It works great and made it look brand new.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Finally, after several weeks of on and off reading, I got to read all the posts.
    Wow...bored much? (no offence intended)
    It is always good to see the problem areas of the past owners as well as any unique experiences. Actually, reading the site is a nice break from work. It appears we are the only two on the site though. The element is around 1600 miles and averages 22 mpg. I can't wait to test its trip mpg which will come in December.

Actually, it is going to be quite nice to get to drive my xB next week.
    Not sure if I have done this yet, but mine (actually my wife's) is a LX-2WD with fog lights, mudflaps, cargo mats (rubber in front and middle) and carpet in the back, and a chrome tailpipe.

The Element is our family car. It replaced a 95 Corolla. I only wish I still had the Corolla's mileage. LOL
    Have a few over 4K on my E. acerage about 21-22 most days. Huge step up from my 01 silverado.