Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Phaeton

Comments

• I can't speak for new car purchases but in my opinion the Phaeton represents the BEST used car value out there. It is clear a marketing failure vs engineering or technology (sure there are some faults but I can't find one car it this class that doesn't have a few (some more than others)). It is a shame it won't be a platform that is continue to be improved but since the opportunity is there why not capitalize.
    I have taken three friends to the local VW dealer to look at the Phaeton and each of them are not looking to buy one since you can get it less than 45K used (low mileage). It would not surprise me now that people are buying up the "deals" that Phaeton will have a spike in popularity before its death...
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    The Bentley wheels and larger tires are on my Phaeton and everything appears fine during and after a 3 mile drive home in the dark. More news as it comes. :)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I rode on the expressway next to one of these tonight. Very sleek, conservative car. The owner had that look on his face like nothing else in the world mattered.

M
    Sleek and conservative sometimes. The new wheels and tires are *just* this side of bling. ">:-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Those are great pictures - they really are! - but they are too wide for the display. Do you see how the text is pushed out to the right under the right sidebar when the pictures are displayed?

Try to keep the width no more than around 500 pixels. If that's not possible, just post links to the pictures. That will keep parts of messages being obliterated.

Thanks! :)
    You don't see the right side overflow? You've got to get them no wider than 500 pixels. I'm not sure what you did, but it doesn't look any different to me.
    No right side overflow here on my laptop using the reduced size. I'll go check the size on Photobucket.

[edit] 730 x 550 Yes, a little bigger than 500 pixels. Sorry, next time will use links.
    Could be my default font size ... if they are not wider than 500 pixels, they'll be fine for everyone else. :-) Sorry for the confusion, I'll be quiet now. ;)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The wheels look great! They look like original equipment.

M
    Here are some additional photos of my 2004 Phaeton V8 sporting 2004 Bentley Continental GT 5-spoke painted wheels and Pirelli PZero Rosso 275 40 19 tires. I am 100 percent thrilled with it!

The photo below shows my Phaeton on the stock VW Challenge wheels with 255 45 18 Michelin tires.

• I've been researching the Phaeton for a few weeks now. Seems like a great buy if you don't plan on reselling in the near future. I'm hoping to get some feedback on a couple of items:

1. Does anyone know what I should be paying for a used 2004 V8 with 10 - 20 K miles? Pricing seems to vary quite a bit.
    2. Is the 2004 Phaeton Sirius ready? I wouldn't want to clutter the beautiful inside lines with some fm modulator hanging off of my windshield.

Thanks for the help.
  • jb317jb317 Posts: 3
    I've owned my V8 for a month or so and had a problem with the a/c. The wooden covers over the vents wouldn't retract no matter what I did. Anyway according to my dealer they just hadn't been activated, which he did.

However, I'm still not sure everything is working properly. Does anyone know whether the air vents are inoperable unless the ventilation is switched to manual or the temperature differences extreme i.e. if the a/c is on automatic and you try and adjust the vents using the switches below they will not respond and the LED lights will remain off? If that is the case is there a way to get warm air to your body and fresh air to your face?
  • I'm an '05 owner w/ 18,000 miles. I've had poor reception from the beginning - been in the shop twice so far, with no evident improvement from "booster" installation. The upgraded stereo produces truly spectacular sound for CDs or when reception is good, but there are many pockets in Southern Calif where this car just doesn't receive, am or fm. Does everyone else have poorer reception than experienced with other cars, or might mine really be fixable? Appreciate any input. Thanks.
  • Sounds to me like your vents work properly. The buttons below work more to close a vent when the auto temp control would have them open.
    Still grinning and prepping for a 1,700 mile 26 hour round trip excursion. No VW decals yet - on a slow boat from China.

image">

This one is a little off-center, but you get the idea. I'll order another set and try to be a little more accurate in my placement next time. :-)">
    The plan was for an OEM look with larger wheels and tires sourced from a VW owned brand. I narrowed the choices down to Audi and Bentley. The 5-spoke wheels I chose are the best fit for appearance and performance.

Very nice!! :)
  • I pulled out of my office lot today and out of the office lot next door came a ruddy metallic colored Phaeton. Wow what a great looking car.

These are super nice cars . . . it is so sad they were unloved, especially at the prices you could "acquire" one for.

So sad.

I stayed with the car and gave the driver my thumb, pointed skyward.

The market hath spoken.