Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Need help! I had my van's rotor, cap and harness replaced three times and the GM dealer service center said it was corroded. They did not know what cause it to be. IDoes anyone has some help or had a similar problem?

Thanks.
  • Our 2000 Venture has 59,000 miles. Recently, when the gas tank gets down to a quarter tank or so, the gauge starts wigging out. It'll go up to full, then drop down to half, then up again. It's all over the place. And now, after a recent trans flush, the automatic transmission "clunks" as it shifts through the gears. It's a palpable clunk that everyone in the car can feel. This is an intermittent problem. Anyone else have either or both of these problems? I really would hate to have to put in a new transmission on this vehicle!
  • i have a 97 astro with 113000 on it . it started with the red coolant problems. after i cleaned it out heating was a little better. when it was running hot. when taking off it had no power ,we took it to the dealer the codes were egr, engine misfire, trans slipping.
    had the egr replaced wp replaced tune up all four ox sensors and it still acts the same. the dealer said he didn't know what to do. i seem to think the trans is starting in 3rd or 4th gear . took the motor cover off the motor seems to torque to the right when engine starts idling right the motor drops to the left maybe torque conv lockup also had new injectors also catilic converter . any help?
  • Before you get into all that, check the vacuum lines on the top of the engine, I had this happen on my 97, I cant remember exactly where it was, but it was melted clear thru, 1/2 of vacc line fixed it, I vaguely remember it being on the top of the engine, somewhere near the base of the throttle body. I didn't even need to take off the engine cover, it was right there! look before you get to deep, no vac sends it to the defrosters, mine started acting up on acceleration, then got worse. good luck
  • Please, what problem did I not have with this van. Funny though that the 2003s still do this. I have a 98 Chevy Venture, which I bought used. I took it back to the dealer 2 months after I bought it because every time the car shifted gears it would jerk very hard. The dealer told me I had no clue because I was a woman and that it was supposed to do this. I threatened him with a lawsuit and he finally agreed to do "exploratory surgery". I got the car back a month later and it was fine for a while. I found myself at the top of a very large hill, took my foot off the brake to go and literally rolled down the entire hill backwards in DRIVE. Then of course it started a very loud clanking noise every time we went up a hill, turns out my transmission was completely shot. Had that rebuilt, and now every light is on in the car, from the ABS, TCS, Brake, Service Engine Soon, etc. My daylight running lights switch on in the sun and off in the dark. My interior lights are half on/half off. My mechanic told me that it was an electrical problem. Now I am told by another mechanic that the converter is either the wrong one or was installed wrong. I can't win with this car.

Oh well, figured I would share my pain.

C
  • Sorry meant to say my actual headlights not the daytime running lights. :)
  • Yesterday, I bouhgt some slip over seat covers from sam's club, and when i tried to put them on, i relized that the arms are in the way, if any one knows a way to get these arm rests off, please message me.
    thanks
    hewitt1
  • As I was driving, my power locks and windows stopped working. The locks started to flip to "unlock" while driving by themself. The next day, they all worked fine. Thought I might need to replace the fuse, and I wondered which fuse # belongs to the power locks? I see the one for the power windows. My battery that was not even 2 years old died just days before this happened, and I wonder if this had drained it. Hoping to keep it from happening to this new more expensive battery. Please help? I have a 2001 venture.
    Thanks!
  • I have a 2000 Astrovan with 93K miles on it. The service engine light came on and stayed on, and engine misfires. I took it to a local mechanic who diagnosed the problem as needing a tuneup. As a result, the sparkplugs, distributor cap, air filter, gas filter, wire set, gas gap and fuel injector cleaner were replaced at a cost of over $400. Two miles down the road, the service engine light came on again and it started misfiring again. Returned to service station where he cleared the service engine light and left again. Five miles down the road, service engine light comes back on and engine starts misfiring again. Now have appointment to return for a third time. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Can't trade it in while it is doing all of this......would really like to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.
  • bosco2bosco2 Posts: 1
    I found out that the fuel pump is in the gas tank. I need the easiest way to rplace it. Thanks
  • Thanks for the information. It seems i might have the same problem. One question though, Did your van stall when you were coming to stops and/or rounding corners?
  • makrismakris Posts: 5
    Will a transmission from a 1998astro van fit a1993 astro?
    engine on both is 4.3w transmission model e40d to 700r4
    gm has had lots of tranny problems ever since the switched to the 4l60e. i have about 50 safari & astro vans,and trust me, they have a lot of other problems. i've had trannys replaced with only 6000km on them. brace your self,,,it's about a 2000$ rebuild. when whining starts,start whining to your dealer about a torque-inverter. 700r4 rules,,,,bring it back G M.
    check your fuel pressure, see manual for unit pressure. is fuel gauge fluctuating? have coil tested. and believe it or not, check your neutral safety switch.
    were the plugs changed at the same time? if so, check the base of the distributor,where the screws set in, for cracks,distortion or pitting. check grounds on engine,firewall and body.you will find a moisture track somewhere.
    sure is,,, motor & circut board is only 150$. you need a 10 mil socket, t 20 torx screwdriver, and a bit of patitence,,, pop the rod off before you loosen bolts
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    Both transmissions are the same size dimensionally and will fit in either van. The problem is the 4L60E is controlled by the computer and the 700R4 has a tv cable that runs to the throttle bracket on the throttle body which controls the shift points. The best way would be to swap the engine, transmisson and computer from the 98 into the 93. I would check also with different publications like hot rod magazine for more information on this swap.
  • Its not the tank has to be emptied and taken down .
  • leathleath Posts: 1
    I read your problem with interest. I have a 96 Chrysler T&C that had a similar problem and it turned out to be moisture on one of the contacts in the passenger side front door. It took me awhile to isolate where the problem was coming from, but I finally found it. It took the door panel off and cleaned the cable contacts then sealed it with tape and replaced the covering over it that had been split. That solved the problem.
  • have a 1991 astro apr ox 250k, has had a trans cooler on it from my purchase when it had 10k. Second trans rebuilt at 100k, noticed this week trans does not up shift as quick to 3rd and 4th or not at all. Reverse works normal, take off and acceleration normal. wondering if electronics possible problem or does anyone know if this 700R4 has a counter weight like the old turbo 350 and 400's. thanks for any feed back