Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    Hello,

Here are the words you were waiting to hear:

The fix couldn't be easier-

The temperature probe is "kaput" Open the hood and look down and to the left in front of the radiator. There's a little black gizmo (about an inch or so long) with numbers stamped into the side of it attached there with wires & a plug attached to it. Disconnect the plug and carefully remove it, chances are you'll break the attachment but don't worry, you can reattach the new one with a zip tie if it breaks.

Take the part to the dealer and get a new one - 2 years ago it was about a $ 10 part, might be a little more now but still cheap. The part # is stamped on the side so you can call around and get the best price. Once you've got the new one,just plug it in & reattach. Thats it and your display will be back to normal.

:shades:
  • neustkgneustkg Posts: 35
    Thanks! Sounds like a very easy fix. I've got a discount with a local Chevy dealer here for parts, too. Maybe I'll save a dollar, but a dollar is a dollar. I also need a new window motor for the very back passenger side window.
    Good luck...

Interestingly enough, I got our part at a Cadillac dealer which is up the street. I called them to see if they had it and they gave me a price on the phone (about $ 9-10.00) My wife went to pick it up and when she gave them the part # they asked her if the guy quoted her a price on the phone..fortunately I told her what to expect...I wonder if they would have charged her more?
  • these vehicles are wired a little different than vehicles 5 years older, they have only one brake light wire, when installing a trailer wiring kit, you have to get one with a "single brake light box" its a little box that you run the wires in one side and it gives you 2 brake wires out. Most local parts stores should be familliar with these.
  • Can anyone tell me where to see a fuses diagram of the 2001 Chevy Venture LT? I have a CD player that is stuck in the 'Check CD' error message, and overnight it drained my battery. I need to pull the fuse for the stereo system, but the owner's manual doesn't show which fuses are for what. Thanks.
  • neustkgneustkg Posts: 35
    Well, I purchased the motor above and when I took it out of the box (and compared it to the motor in my vehicle, it looked like my motor was in good working order. I just needed the clip (shown to the right in the diagram above). I ordered it (considerably less expensive than the motor) and tried to take out the existing clip, but the phillips screw is so tight, I ended up messing up the head of the screw. Any ideas on how I can take it out? Screwdriver keeps slipping now. Can I use an easy out tool w/my drill?
    I think you can try the easy out...just go really carefully...if you break the glass you'll get really upset. If you use a really small bit and just drill it out you might get it to separate. You might want to hit it with a little penetrating oil of your choice as well...anything to make it want to move.

Good Luck :shades:
  • My 2004 Chevy Venture has been running funny, it cuts out going down the road on occasion, and sometimes stalls at stopsigns/lights. At this point it starts right back up. When it first happened the check engine light came on and the code P0341(camshaft positioning sensor) was the result. We changed that sensor and the light went out but the problem did not go away, I have tried dry gas, fuel injector cleaner, changing spark plugs, replacing the fuel filter, and crank sensor, my husband also checked to see it the coils were sparking and they are not? I don't know what to do next, short of taking it to the shop?
  • chaseschases Posts: 41
    Pull the eletrical plug apart under the drivers side of the van near the drivers seat and check all the pins in that plug. The main power pin going to the fuel pump might be shorting. Clean it up, adjust for better contact and apply some eletrical grease and reassemble.
  • Ok here is my situation

1998 Chev Venture 160,000 km

The other night we had a big snowfall (not sure if that matters) I drove home in this and parked the car out front of my house. No problems.

The next morning I go to start the van, startss running real rough, the check engine light flashes and the oil PRESSURE light comes on. I drive it back to my house (about 200 feet) and the bus idles real bad for about 30 seconds then dies. Oil level is good.

I started the van this morning and drove it around back and into my garage, ran like HELL and lights still on. I know it wasn't the best to drive it but I need it in my garage not on the street.

It sounds like an oil pump but man there was no warning, do pumps just GO or do they usually give a warning?

How can I test the pump?
    Is there anything electrical that it can be? I awas thinking something got disconnected or wet or something during the drive in the snow?? Sounds unlikely but one never knows

What about the timing belt? I have never changed that, if it jumped timimg would it cause these symptoms?

Thanks I will run a scan on it tonight and let you know the results.

Shawn
  • tlake1tlake1 Posts: 1
    On my 2001 venture the rear side window (driver side) is not closing or opening all the way when switch is pressed..what is the procedure to correct this and how to remove the motor if needed
  • Hi, I have the same problem in a 2003 chevy venture. Did this (see below) solve the problem?

'Pull the eletrical plug apart under the drivers side of the van near the drivers seat and check all the pins in that plug. The main power pin going to the fuel pump might be shorting. Clean it up, adjust for better contact and apply some eletrical grease and reassemble.'

Thanks.
  • ajaxxajaxx Posts: 1
    I was in a minor car accident on 11/27/08 and noticed that the lights on my dash board came on after starting my car and would not go out. It turns out that the seatbelt on the drivers side was the cause and the entire unit had to be replaced. The automobile inspection regulations in my area will not allow a vehicle to pass inspection with any indicator lights on.
  • chrisj5chrisj5 Posts: 3
    For the first time the radio was out. Another sympton is the remote key entry does not work. Radio fuse was blown. Immediately upon replacing the 10amp fuse it blows. Tried turning off the radio (a guess) first and replace fuse, still blows right away.
    I have a 2003 Chevy Venture (Warner Bros. series).
    Any suggestions on what the culprit is?
This discussion has been closed.