Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pickup Trucks for Women (Experiences/Opinions)

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    but I wouldn't mind the girl either!!! I agree with mtngal. Just what the hell is a Wrangler? It is nearly a "do all" vehicle and a lot of fun to boot. I would love to be able to afford a Wrangler to use as my daily driver and keep the F-350 for working. But you know, mortgage and kids.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    At the moment I'm not real excited about getting our Tacoma fixed, because that means we're using the Wrangler as our daily driver. The Wrangler is certainly more comfortable than the Taco. However, I've always found full sized pickups to be very comfortable, probably more comfortable than the Wrangler, so think that your F350 might be a better daily driver, unless you are talking about commuting in a congested urban area. Then the Wrangler wins big time.
    the Wrangler is to look at the reviews comparing mini-SUVs. They hardly ever mention the Wrangler, so it must not fit into that category...
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    In the 1930's the U.S. Govt asked manufacturers to produce a 1/4 ton truck for military purposes.My '47 CJ 2 is classified as a truck on the pink slip and insurence policy.
    It's a truck.

kip
    Good point! The military version continued to be classified and officially known as Truck, 1/4 Ton, until it was finally phased out of the Army. I was still on active duty when that happened, and have read many equipment reports (TO&Es).

It's interesting that the pink slip for your CJ has it classified as a truck.
    I think the reason why the Wrangler is never mentioned in the mini-SUV comparisons is because the Wrangler will beat them every time. I can't read commercial vehicle comparisons because lots of times they never say anything bad about the vehicles. I remember one in particular that Motortrend did, I'm a little biased toward the Ford, but I promise I won't twist what they said, and if anyone has the transcripts to prove me wrong, please tell me. They compared the 3/4 ton Silverado to the F-250 XLT. The trucks were similarly loaded with extended cabs, auto's, 4x4, and so on. I'm not for sure on the engines, but I think the Ford had the 5.4 while the Chevy had a 6.0(?). They talked about how much nicer it was that the Chevy bed was 6 inches lower to the ground so loading would be easier, never mentioned what that 6 inches would cost you off road. They compared towing capabilities with a 5,000lb(I think) trailer, not maximum weight. If you'll notice, they compared the extended cabs, not crew cabs and they compared gassers, and not diesels. I know these shows try to compare what the average buyer wants, but around here, most 3/4 ton trucks are Ford PSD. I think Chevy "paid" them more than Ford for the favorable comparison. I'm sorry, this was completely off topic. I had to vent on that one, even two years later, it still makes me ill.

Back to the thread. The long wheelbase of the F-350 does make for a comfortable ride, but I have always loved the Wrangler.
    I enjoy reading the reviews of vehicles. I learn a great deal from them - if only about the reviewer. Seriously, though, what I'm looking for in a vehicle isn't what most people look for, so I take what I read at it's face value - just someone's opinion. Truck reviews are no different than SUV reviews - they don't always look at vehicles from my prospective (hence my comment about the Wrangler reviews). I take that into account, and if I were to buy what some of the reviewers suggest, I'd never get out of my driveway in winter! The Wrangler is excellent for that.

I'm particular about the height of my trucks. As I mentioned before, I quit looking at the Dakota because the dealer I went to only had 1 and it was lowered. I thought it looked like the most worthless truck in the world. I've since seen "real" ones and am sorry I didn't look at them further. My opinion (like yours) - higher is better. Why would someone want a lower truck if it won't make it through the field when you are picking up bales of hay?

I will admit that the F-350 I looked at (crew cab - they didn't have an extended cab when I test drove one) looked wonderful. However, I couldn't figure out how to park it. I would definitely have to practice, since I am now used to parking the Wrangler. And yes, it sure is a fun little vehicle, whatever it is!
    I haven't kept up with it in the last few years, but if we let Consumer Reports guide us into our vehicle purchases, we'd all be driving Camrys or Accords. The height issue, amongst many other reasons, is why I got away from a Chevy. My 2wd 350 sits higher than my last 4wd Silverado. That Chevy would come out of a field dragging objects the 350 just rolls right over. I just have to laugh when I see someone with a lowered truck. Why don't they just buy a car? It's obvious that is really what they want. We even have a couple of lowered 1 tons around here, talking about useless.
    The last full sized pickup I had was a '76 3/4 ton Chevy and it had pretty good height for a 2wd. It certainly was tough. I sold it in excellent running condition in 1990 (exterior was rough, but it wasn't that great before I bought it).

I guess its a matter of "to each his own." I agree with you - a lowered 1 ton doesn't make sense to me, but it does to someone else. I guess that's why they still make all sorts of cars - what makes sense to my parents living in the middle of the Mojave desert wouldn't work for me up here in the mountains.

I personally don't like the styling on the 1/2 ton Ford Flare side - I prefer my truck to provide maximum cargo space (whether it be a compact or a full sized truck). On the other hand, I do like the styling on the Dodge Ram pickups. And if I were to be able to afford a full sized truck I would most likely start by looking at the Chevys, since I had such good luck with my old one(s). But if they are lower (and they could be - there was so much noise a while ago to lower both trucks and SUVs), then I'd go with the Ford or Dodge instead.
    Your '76 3/4 ton Chevy is a tough truck. In fact, I wish some manufacturer still made them. GM really changed their trucks from the '87 to '88 model year. I had both an '87 and an '88, you would not believe the difference. The '87 would handle anything imaginable that you would do with a 1/2 ton. That was one tough truck, it was built "like a rock". The '88 on the other hand, well, let me put it to you this way. I burnt the tranny up pulling a 4,000lb trailer. It would not drive in slow city traffic in the summer without overheating. Every damn switch in that truck gave me trouble. I measured the rear portion of the frame, under the bed. It only measured 3 inches top to bottom. The '87 measured nearly 4 inches. Everything about that truck was built too light for my taste. But, don't get me wrong, that truck ran up and down the road, empty of course, light a bat out of hell. The '87, well, anything over 70mph was beginning to push it. It had a 4.10 rear in it. I didn't have a tach, but at 70, it sounded like a Winston Cup Car. I used to drive around with the windows down just to hear it scream. Of course, I do that now just to hear the PSD and smell the exhaust.

Boy, did I ramble on? Sorry.
    Don't get me started on some of my favorite topics, or I'll go on too long. Actually I was interested in what you had to say. I didn't realize that GM did such a major redo on their pickups that year - they didn't change much on the exterior styling. It is sad that they lightened the vehicle that much.

I've had compact pickups recently, (no longer own horses) and even they have changed significantly recently. My dream is to someday retire, buy a full sized pickup and a 5th wheel trailer and go explore North America for a couple of years. I'd love to see New England in the fall, and Alaska in the summer, Florida in the winter and all points in between. So I'm trying to keep up with what's going on with full sized pickups.
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you are talking about the change from the '88-'99(?) bodystyle to the current one. I was referring to the change from the old '87(box style like your '76) to the rounded '88-'99 bodystyle. I haven't had any experience with the current GM vehicles as I gave up on them some time ago.
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    Anyone have a 4x4 Taco w/ 4cyl automatic? How's the small four cylinder do in this truck?

Leo
    I don't have the 4x4 or the auto, but I do have the 4 cylinder. With a 5 speed it is adequate for my needs, since it will go 65 mph (no faster though) in 4th gear uphill. I doubt if it would maintain that speed with an auto, especially with the extra weight from the 4x4 system. I would not go with an auto in a Tacoma with less than a V6.

As you know, I'm not a fan of the Tacoma. Mine is currently in the shop with a very dead radiator (the truck is only 18 months old!). Service person said that he had never seen a radiator with a blockage he couldn't get to move at all, and he figured there was no point in rodding it out because it would probably break before it moved. So I get to buy a new radiator.
  • tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    Before you agree to replace the radiator on your truck, you should find out if anyone who has serviced your truck added the wrong anti-freeze to it. This can cause the anti-freeze to "gel" and block your radiator. Has the dealer done all the oil changes/service work, or have you had other places change oil, etc.? Your dealer should be able to tell if it has blockage from "dex-cool" being mixed with regular anti-freeze. Just my $.02 worth.
    Tom
    The dealership said that the blockage acted more like cement than gelled anti-freeze. The service person said he had never seen anything quite like it - he couldn't budge the blockage at all (something you would be able to do if the fluid had gelled). I usually use a local mechanic rather than the dealership for most of our servicing, and did have the radiator flushed late summer/early fall at 30,000 miles. It is now at 62,000 miles and hasn't had anything additional added to it.

The story does have a happy ending. The service department talked to the Toyota extended warranty people and they will cover the replacement radiator. We'll go to pick it up Saturday (I won't be on the Bakersfield side of the hill until then). I'm very happy with the service we are getting. I am very glad that I have the opportunity to shop in Bakersfield - everyone is so friendly and you get such great service all over the city. A wonderful change from the LA attitude!
  • tomh12tomh12 Posts: 240
    Glad for the resolution. Something is rotten in Denmark with that radiator blockage. I would ask the dealership to cut into the thing and find the blockage just to satisfy my curiosity. Or, at least haul the thing to your own mechanic and see if he can figure it out. Good luck.
    Tom
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893

Just a reminder that the Town Hall chat is on tonight (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). Hope you can join in on this week's topic: Inconsiderate drivers! Share your stories.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You have the 4x2? That has a little smaller 4cylinder than the 4x4, I think? Hmm might have to go test drive a 4cyl 4x4 Taco and see. Don't know if we can afford a new Taco 4x4 w/ V6. From what I seen they run about 2K more than V4.

Leo
    V4 Taco???
    The 4 cylinder 4x4....I think it's the 2.7L in the 4x4 version of Tacoma. ;)

What's the correct term? an inline 4 cylinder? Thus and I-4? ;)

Leo
    Sorry Leo, just picking on ya'.
    Definitely test drive. Assuming that the 4x4 has a larger engine, it will have to handle the extra weight etc. of the 4x4 system. That could mean that it would drive the same as my smaller engine 4x2. If that is the case, then it would be fine with a manual, but questionable with an auto. And it also depends on how you are going to use it. If you don't have to climb steep mountain passes at freeway speeds it might be OK. That old Nissan of mine had no tranny problems for the first 10 years I owned it. It was only when I moved to the mountains that I started to burn up trannys.
    Jim,

I figured you were teasin' ;)

Leo
    I wouldn't mind a manual, but it will probably be an automatic so the wife can drive.

I live in western Pennsylania so no mountains to climb. I would use it as my daily driver--60 mile round trip, plus my hunting vehicle but not towing anything.

I might have to take a serious look at the 6 cylinder then.

Figure, I keep my vehicle 8-10 years so it might be worth scraping up the extra$$.

Leo
    Also make sure you can live with those seats. I understand they improved them for 2002.
    When I bought the Taco I had every intention of keeping it 8-10 years, and replacing the Wrangler next. However, it isn't going to work that way - I hate the seats enough to want to dump the Taco as soon as I can afford to. The Wrangler is going to have to wait for a few more years. Since I love it and would be replacing it with another, newer one, it isn't a problem. Just have to figure more maintenance costs as things wear out.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    I went to college in Pittsburgh in the mid 80s, so I know western PA very well. No mountains, but that side of PA is very hilly. I only had to drive a stick out that way once (my cousin's 1981 Accord), but that was enough. Double-downshifts were the norm, not the exception when a road hit a minor hill. If you're going to have the weaker 4-banger, the automatic will be easier on you too.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    small world! I drive into Pittsburgh, Oakland to be more specific, every day for work. 30 miles one way. Yep, it can get hilly around here. It can be tough on us manual users. But since the wife has a significant influence on our next vehicle purchase, it will more than likely be an automatic.
    I don't know if any seats can be more uncomfortable than my seats in Toyota Paseo. They're ok for the 1hr commute to work, but much longer than that and your back feels it. But I'll definitely take a careful look at the Taco's seats.

I might do what your doing, and see if I can wait until sometime next year to buy. But a '94 Toyota Paseo w/ 186k+ miles, starts to make me consider getting a new vehicle this year. Hmm. we'll see if Toyota runs any of those special financing later this year and play it by ear.

Leo
This discussion has been closed.