Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Razor

Comments

• I rather like the looks of big wheels, so long as they arent heavy or hurt performance.

And personally, I prefer hardtops. I dont even care too much for sunroofs either. I like the cabin to be quiet and non turbulent when I am driving hard, so I can hear my music. Also, I like the extra torsional stiffness of a hardtop.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    no music on this thing, unless you're talking about the engine noise. ;)
  • imaramimaram Posts: 36
    From what I've read over in Aftermarket & Accessories, past a certain point, lowering the profile and raising the wheel diameter doesn't enhance performance, it rather detracts from it. But I'm not savvy enough to know the hows and whys.

I just think the look is a touch overboard. If they're using 18s and 19s, I think I'd be just as happy with 17s and some 50-55 series rubber.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,266
    Exactly, the proportion to the car is all wrong IMO. You aren't supposed to look at the wheels; the wheels are part of the car, not vice-versa. It's like wearing size 20 shoes with your tux. You don't want people staring down at the ground.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• "From what I've read over in Aftermarket & Accessories, past a certain point, lowering the profile and raising the wheel diameter doesn't enhance performance, it rather detracts from it. But I'm not savvy enough to know the hows and whys."

Well that is kinda misleading. True to a certain extent but still misleading. It has to do with 3 major factors. Wheel design, wheel material, and tires. You basically want to have as little rotating mass as possible, but if the wheel design is good, then you can take advantage of the handling characteristics of size, plus increased area for bigger brakes and better brake cooling.

Its a long discussion, we can have it if you want, but it basically comes down to the wheels design.
  • "Exactly, the proportion to the car is all wrong IMO. You aren't supposed to look at the wheels; the wheels are part of the car, not vice-versa. It's like wearing size 20 shoes with your tux. You don't want people staring down at the ground."

Well I look at it a different way. To use a similar analogy, I would say it is like wearing a nice pair of shoes. They might catch some attention, but they wont divert the attention fully. Its an accesory to the style. It seems as though to you, a shoe is just a necessary item of clothing, where to me it can be a compliment to a great looking tux.

I think the wheels can be one of the most attractive parts of any car. A well designed wheel(not just taking into account the size, but the style and physical design as well) can compliment any car, no matter how beautiful the car already is. And size can be a good thing, function wise, if designed right.

I claim you are supposed to look at the wheels, because they are there. To use your analogy again...I could wear some black and purple Nike Airs with a Hugo Boss tux, and it would be ok...because you arent supposed to look at the shoes, you are supposed to look at the tux.
  • if it is the wheels that are giving this car such an unearthly weight, especially given the small engine, transmission, wheelbase, and spartan interior, then I can give up the wheels.

We still haven't figured out why this car is so heavy. I mean, it is still light by most cars standards, but with the equipment it has it should be more around 2200 lbs or maybe even 2000.
  • rezo00rezo00 Posts: 103
    if you want 2200lbs go get a toyota mr2. With the HP and the cheap target price no way will they make it 2200lbs...think 2400
  • If you look at the pricing, it is about even with a Neon ACR, which has a beautiful suspension setup, weighs about 2,500 lbs...

So give a neon ACR RWD, and the SRT engine. Voila...you have a Razor.

Don't expect 20+ inch wheels...if it did come with them, I would sell them to some ricer to get myself a set of nice light 16-18 inch wheels that actually have R compound tires. Fairly soon I will be launching a fan website for the Razor :) Stay tuned!
  • conversation has been dead for a couple days so i thought i would bump it up. i read a new article on the razor in automobile. didnt really have anything new to say. has anyone heard anything about a possible release date on this car?
  • There is none. The Razor is only a concept car
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    SO STOP BUMPING THIS LISTING.
  • ill stop bumping
    Oops, I bumped it again.

Britney
  • like your style imaram
    Well, I just love the dang concept. It worries me that I'm seeing more press about Lutz and Holden/Pontiac than I am about Razor. Makes me think that some circuits between Germany and Auburn Hills are still disconnected. The fact the the Crossfire (no spark plug jokes, Joseph), and not the 300C got the production nod seems to prove it.

BTW, the name MUST change. And the wheels. Other than that, AHWANNIT, AHWANNIT, AHWANNIT!
  • chem123chem123 Posts: 272
    They build, I buy. It would b great if it would drop a few pounds and come with 16" wheels instead with some decent rubber for under $15K. Haha, what am I thinking...Dodge doesn't have the guts to build this car.
  • dodge(chrysler) has one thing going for them, i would say it is the balls to build things other people wouldnt, i.e. the prowler
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    not so much anymore...since the takeover, chyrsler has castrated those "balls". Proof? the chrysler 300 hemi convertible. Everybody wanted this car, but instead, we get the crossfire.
    Could just be a learning curve thing. Maybe the fact that taking an all-Chrysler concept to market without screwing it up (Viper, Concorde, Intrepid) creates big consumer interest and demand is just taking a while to sink in on the teuton mindset.

Then, also, the 300C is a project that offered direct competition to MB, so I somewhat understand the shelving of that one. Razor doesn't appear to offer competition to anything else DCX, a lesson GM could stand to learn.

The fact that they're showing the concept in the first place is hopeful, I think.
  • who is everyone, first of all, and even if "everyone" did want it, there is still no auto maker with the record for producing concepts that is anywhere near equivelant to the record of chrysler.
    everyone meaning every car enthusiast auto show attender who saw the 300C and the Crossfire.

I will agree...chrysler is 10 fold better than most companies, even under DCX. The closest I can compare would be Nissan, but that is only because they don't really release concepts unless they have the intention of releasing them as production cars. Still though, I wouldnt get your hopes up for this car, just because the prowler and viper came to production. That was with lutz in the hot seat...now they have some german shmuck.
    "That was with lutz in the hot seat...now they have some german shmuck..."

Well, thanks a LOT! I have to have SOMETHING to look forward to, dammit! :)

This one makes sense to produce, though. Not only does it not really compete with other DCX product, it's mostly parts-bin stuff. I, for one, have no issues whatsoever with parts-bin efforts, so long as the whole is greater than the sum of said parts.
    This one makes sense to produce...and it just might, unless mercedes sees this car as competition to the C coupe.

Thats the thing I hate most about this takeover. Chrysler comes out with some great concepts, but they are scrapped if they have any possible chance at competing with a mercedes product. As long as it doesnt compete, then Chysler gets the ok. They are an American and a German brand...they better compete, or I wont have anything to do with either one of them.
    The March issue has an article on Razor, Crossfire too.

Of course, my subscription ran out in January. Anybody see it yet?
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    It probably takes a while to get to Bangladesh anyhow. You sure move a lot.
    LOL!

I just like playing with the flags, Don!
  • dont see how the razor would compete in anyway with the c coupe. the razor is a totally stripped car with a 250 turbocharged motor. the c coupe is a cheap benz that still rides well, is quiet, and is aimed at women in there twenties looking to come across as having status. the razor is just a good old fashion roadster for young men in their late teens to early twenties who like to mod and like to go fast.
    "the razor is just a good old fashion roadster for young men in their late teens to early twenties who like to mod and like to go fast."

Small, attractive, sporty, and easily modded coupes. They are both in the same market, just one a little more upscale.
This discussion has been closed.