Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    In a lot of cases, it really should just be more "catastrophic" coverage.

Thats one of the reasons you have deductables, to cover the small stuff. But what may be small stuff for you might be catastrophic for another. Let's say for the fender bender, those can cost some bucks to fix. Last one I had the damage was just north of $2K (IIRC). Two years ago I would haven't blink an eye. Now with the wife having just gotten off of two years of unemployment $2K is a bit more money (but still doable). My kid who is just finishing up college $2K is a big chunck of money and would put him in a terrible bind.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

Regarding reasonable speeds,

The thing is is that "reasonable" is rather subjective. What one considers "reasonable" another may not. Also someone may consider something "unreasonable" then may consider it "reasonable" once they learn more facts on the subject.

Let me ask you this; is it reasonable to have 9 speed bumps in about 4/5ths of a mile of a residential street?

Hmmm...I see that one way street share the road ideal again.

What "one way share the road ideal"?

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

Traveling on a divided road with two lanes in each direction approaching a point where the road narrows to one lane in each direction. Only traffic in front of me is an SUV and the nearest traffic behind is a block or two back.

Both the SUV and myself are in the left lane (right lane ends a bit ahead of us) and the SUV is doing just under 50 in a 45, no big deal for me so I just settle in behind him (her?). All of a sudden they start slowing down, fast enough to make me think they took their foot off the gas. So I figured that maybe they were about to turn so I merged into the right lane and started to pass maintaining my speed of about +/-50. As soon as I start getting a little in front of him he starts to gun it. :confuse:

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    Would it be possible for a car to hit a telephone pole, snap it completely, and be able to drive away?

Reason I'm asking is that, around 7:30 this morning, I was aroused by the rumble of a big-rig type engine. Looked outside, and saw a couple fire engines blocking the road up the street. Then, I noticed that the top of one of the telephone poles, about 300 feet from my house, was at about half its normal height. I couldn't see the lower part of it, because it was partially blocked by evergreens that I've planted around the perimeter of my yard, to give me some seclusion.

But, I went down and looked, and near as I can tell, someone coming towards my house had veered onto the wrong side of the road, took out the neighbor's mailbox, and then went into the telephone pole hard enough to snap it in several places. There was a little bit of plastic debris scattered, but not too much. And, no vehicle to be seen, by the time I went out there.

I really hope that whoever did this wasn't able to drive off and get away, scott free. Plus, it did some minor damage to my place. There are two poles between my house and the one that snapped, but I guess there was enough vibration that it pulled the Verizon FIOS cable loose from where it attaches to the house. So, nothing irreparable, but it still annoys me.

One of the neighbors said he heard a noise around 5:00 in the morning, so that's when it happened I guess.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    edited January 2013
    A car? I doubt it. But possible for some kinds of vehicles with "big rig" kinds of engines, for example...

Would it be possible for a car to hit a telephone pole, snap it completely, and be able to drive away?

I would say yes. It all depends on force, speed, angle of the collision, how well the car is built and the condition of the telephone pole.

It is also possible that the car was towed away before you saw what was happening (and most likely).

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    It is also possible that the car was towed away before you saw what was happening (and most likely).

Yeah, that's my guess. Last time a telephone pole was actually snapped in my neighborhood, was back in 1987. It was the one right in front of my house. A drunk in an early 70's Ford pickup hit it, snapped it, and the impact was bad enough that it pulled the pole behind it down into my neighbor's pine tree, setting it on fire. That truck was destroyed, though.

Also back in the 80's, an early 70's Pontiac Ventura had hit the same pole, but didn't hurt it. Took out our mailbox as well. There was a scrape mark on the road, and out of curiosity, we followed it, about two miles. That's where we saw this horribly smashed Ventura sitting in someone's driveway and figured they'd been punished enough, no need to bring up the mailbox! Also back then, someone in a '78-79 Magnum hit a telephone pole about 600 feet up the road. No damage to the pole, but the passenger, who wasn't wearing her seatbelt, broke the windshield and left a horrible bloody spot on it. And that car wasn't driveable, as the wheel well pushed into the tire.

A few months ago, someone hit a telephone near my job, in a Mustang. Here's the result:

Sorry about the fence being in the way...
    I seem to recall many decades ago a telephone pole near where I lived was snapped by something that you wouldn't think would break a telephone pole. IIRC a large piece of debre during a rather violent windstorm (possible tornado). However the pole was struck by a truck a year or so earlier which may have done a lot on damage that wasn't noticed and the windstorm was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Oh and talking about telephone poles winter is here and the roads are getting slippery. Right down the block from me the road curves with a slight down hill slope. At the end or the curve along the road on the outside of the curve is a fire hydrant. It's in a perfect location for someone to hit if they take the curve a little to fast when it's slippery. About once every other winter someone takes that hydrant out. It remained unassaulted the last two winters so we are due.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    edited January 2013
    There's nothing subjective about reasonable speeds on the road in question, pointless silly circular argument distractions included. It's unreasonable to go 45 on a road when 60 and most cars are able and more than willing to go within 5mph of that limit.

Think about this, is it reasonable to ask tangental questions?

The one way share the road ideal is that everyone should make way for the slow/timid/scared/inept, not that those slow people ever have to make way for those actually driving. Sharing needs to be a two way street.
    I guess it would be on a local news site if someone was hurt.

MB W140 or G-wagen could probably do that kind of damage and drive away :shades:
    Went down to Portland - not a bad drive. Lots of very early/dawn speedtraps on I5, but they seemed to be going for those at 10+ over. Hardly any LLCs, but not zero either, bless their souls, they know not what they do. Portland drivers are just like Seattle - texters and yappers everywhere, fun mix of slowpokes and speeders, and saw an Infiniti FX come within an inch of hitting a woman in a crosswalk - she even screamed, it was that close. Something about some vehicles seems to isolate the "driver".
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    Don't mind them; a text just came in. :P
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    I was in the Portland area today, too. I probably saw a dozen OSP officers monitoring speeds. What an insanely wasteful use of time....

Unlike you, LLCs were rampant while I was out. It is mind-boggling how inconsistently many drivers' speeds can be on straight, flat roads. :confuse:
    The one way share the road ideal is that everyone should make way for the slow/timid/scared/inept, not that those slow people ever have to make way for those actually driving. Sharing needs to be a two way street.

Yes. The slower drivers "make way" for those driving faster by keeping right. Then those going faster keep left and don't abuse (tailgate, honk, fingers, flash lights etc.) those going slower. It's not brain surgery here, folks.
    edited January 2013
    They keep right? Maybe in Yourup. Here in "share the road" land, I see a lot more LLCers than people tailgating, flashing, etc. Mostly, people who at least wanted to proceed at the limit would just pass on the right - even though they really shouldn't have to. For so many, lane discipline is indeed rocket surgery :shades:
    I only experienced 5 and 405 for small journeys in and out of the city, most of my time was on surface streets. The worst LLCs seemed to be N of Olympia or S of Chehalis. In between is there the speeders congregated - got passed by a later model Suburban that must have been going 90.

The speedtrap mentality is indeed incredibly wasteful. Target that while other issues go unchecked.

Oh, another thing is there like here - slow mergers. So fun merging onto a lightly populated 60mph highway at 41mph.
  • So fun merging onto a lightly populated 60mph highway at 41mph.

Not 40 or 42, but 41?

What type of radar are you using to measure this? :D
    Well, I was in a car with a digital speedometer. We hit 42, eventually :shades:
    Well, I didn't say everyone shares the road as they should, did I? If so, there wouldn't be over 20,000 posts here I bet.