Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,170
    That is the primary reason I own 3 of them!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Well kept isn't always beautiful... :shades:

Out this morning, I am thinking turn signals are a rarely ordered option on late model BMWs. Also saw a Rav4 with a hard spare tire cover and I think wind deflectors (which points to a certain demographic) stop for a green light, I don't know what that was about. And saw a younger woman in a red 2013 SL550 with a phone to her ear - should be a 5 figure fine for her.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    That example has never happened in my 50+ years in the insurance business. Speculations can be wild. ;)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004
    edited January 2013
    How many "speculative" links re insurance companies trying to shift the blame onto the victim would you like? :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    Amazing! I didn't represent GEICO, SAFECO, & a few other "national" companies. I learned early on that regional small carriers are a lot more reasonable. Two of the most pleasure to deal with were Oregon Mutual and Unigard. :) Other agent friends were proud of their appointments with Mutual of Enumclaw & Pemco. All decent to deal with in regards to claims and underwriting. ;)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004
    edited January 2013
    For the first time in forever I'm with a very small company mostly local to Michigan, but financially stable, as near as I can tell from a search at the insurance commission. Even have an agent for the first time in a decade.

Since it's been 34 years since I've had to make a claim, I can't speak to the claims process.

"Mutual of Enumclaw" sounded like a joke name so I looked it up. Never heard of that Washington city - bit ironic that the name the insurance company uses translates as "place of evil spirits". :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ...from a pair of (exceptionally bright) teenagers:
    They just got home from their D.C. trip, and both made the observation that folks on foot in the Washington/Baltimore area are very aggressive when crossing streets regardless of crosswalk, and don't bother looking much - they just go, often buried in newspaper and/or device.

Wonder how their auto/pedestrian statistics compare to other metropolitan areas. Anybody remember 'stop, look & listen'?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    An example of a "considerate" approach to enforcement of traffic laws?

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/187600941.html?refer=y
  • That's nice, but I don't think it will make much of a difference. All drivers should know all the rules, not just informing the ones they happen to catch on their one mistake.

From the article:
    In the first two weeks of the "In Focus" program, Edina police stopped about 20 drivers for obstructed vision. Long said most people lean out their windows and ask, "What did I do wrong?"

Seriously? :confuse:
  • Tonight on the way home from work, I must have been moving too slow (40 in a 45) on a 2 lane road with mostly double yellow. The Grand Cherokee behind me flashed his lights about 10 times to get me to move faster. I should be thankful that he didn't flash 200 times to teach me a lesson. :P

It's winter here, cold temperatures, snow, high winds. It's not like driving on dry pavement on a sunny summer day. The 4WD/AWD crowd wants to drive like it's summer, but they're the ones usually ending up in the ditch. :sick:
    Yes, seriously. Do you live in an area where it snows a lot? People driving around with obstructed windows is very common where I live... and a big safety issue.

Everyone should know you don't do things like text while driving, camp in the left lane, drive without lights in dim light etc. etc. But how many posts here have been directed at those and other rules that "everyone should know"?
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 700
    edited January 2013
    It really depends on the traffic. A cold, snowy, blustery day with no traffic... on a flat, straight highway shouldn't slow anyone down much.

For there isn't anything on a road like that requiring sudden stops or steering changes.

Unfortunately, we have drivers here in the US that are so poor that they actually *CAN'T* handle driving in a straight line at a steady speed... even in *GOOD* weather.

Case in point: http://youtu.be/kzlg3oQMze4
    You should see it when it snows in Seattle. Some will just clear a little peephole, like driving a tank.

Rainy drive tonight, several cars with no lights or parking lights (after legal sunset but not the civil twilight some cling to :shades: ), lots of no signals, actually spotted no phone yappers, no egregious crosswalk crowders.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    You should see it when it snows in Seattle. Some will just clear a little peephole, like driving a tank.

See that here too. These are incredibly, in priority order, lazy and dumb and irresponsible and inconsiderate drivers
    Tonight, raining again, yay. Nothing too terrible, but still too many running with light issues. Tonight it was mainly parking lights. I wonder what the mentality is for this..."I want to be visible, but not too visible"? Also, do BMW X5s come equipped with turn signals? Got crosswalk crowded once by an older woman in a new Beetle, who gave me an apologetic wave when she noticed.
    Partly clear evening ,beautiful sunset, and hardly any cars with headlight issues - yes, not as dark, and more "drivers" were using lights. Gotta love it.

No real issues other than random slowpokes or bad lane changes, but while on foot saw a woman yell "Excuse me, I'm walking, I'm walking!" at a Solara that had a close call with her in a crosswalk. Doesn't seem to be an enforcement priority.
    edited January 2013
    Doesn't seem to be an enforcement priority.

It does seem hard to believe that the LEO who was on the scene didn't issue a ticket to the Solara driver who almost hit the woman.

There was a LEO on the scene, right?

I'd like to see stopping for green lights for no reason at all be an enforcement priority, too. Also I'd like to see tickets issued to people who pass on the right... when there's no lane there. I observed both of those behaviors today. Oh wait... there was no LEO around to observe those acts. Guess we need to put more LEOs on the streets... hmmm, more money needed there, methinks. You go first, I know others will also contribute.
    edited January 2013
    LEO, red herring? There never is one. They are busy speedtrapping wide clear visibility underposted streets. Follow the money.
    No red herring at all. YOU were the one asking for enforcement of things like a car getting close to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. How many crosswalks are there in your city? Quite a few in mine.
    Irrelevant distraction from you again. I cross quite a few 5 days a week - NEVER seen a cop near one. The priority is about revenue, which means speedtrapping.