Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    edited April 2013
    It would be interesting to see where the funding comes from.

The Copper Wire Landline Association methinks.

How can you keep both hands on the wheel while sipping a Starbucks or Big Gulp or whatever?

Don't you people have knees? :P
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    Drinking water or any other beverage is not really a distraction. It doesn't take much thought process to drink a beverage, it's pretty much a motor reflex. If picking up a water bottle (and I think most drivers don't do this while needing to change lanes or mind a merge; reasonable judgment as to when it is a good time to pick up the drink is important here) is dangerous, then stick shift manuals are dangerous, because it's basically the same thing, one hand off the wheel, temporarily. If anything shifting requires more thinking because you have to decide what gear, up or down, whereas drinking is drinking.

Cell phones are particularly distracting because they make people mindless zombie drivers. It really is about how much brain power is being used on activities other than driving, but only as long as you keep at least one hand on the wheel (and one eye on the road) at all times.

Speaking of which, can you still get a driver's license if you have one eye?
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Drinking water or any other beverage is not really a distraction. It doesn't take much thought process to drink a beverage, it's pretty much a motor reflex. If picking up a water bottle (and I think most drivers don't do this while needing to change lanes or mind a merge; reasonable judgment as to when it is a good time to pick up the drink is important here) is dangerous, then stick shift manuals are dangerous

Good point. Could be a bottle of coke or pepsi too. Of course, don't pick up the bottle if driving on the twisties in a rural area or in the fast lane of an interstate. Another idea is to drink out of the right side of mouth rather than center. Do not have to pick up head.

Cell phones are particularly distracting because they make people mindless zombie drivers. It really is about how much brain power is being used on activities other than driving

Exactly. Would like to see some scientific studies on this. Have to guess that very little brain processing resources used to drink from a water bottle vs an "active" conversation with a driver on the cell phone.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Holding a container with a beverage, which could be hot, is in no way comparable to operating a stick shift. Compare for example the time it takes to move your hand from the stick shift back to the wheel, in case an emergency maneuver is required, vs. replacing the beverage (maybe that hot one) in its holder, then getting both hands on the wheel. Also it's not possible to spill the contents of the stick shift on you, which is a huge distraction--especially if the contents are hot.

If listening or talking via hands-free device is distracting, then so is listening to the radio, especially if it's "talk radio". So that needs to be banned also.

Yes, you CAN get a driver's license with one good eye. Why do you ask?
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    I don't *always* have both hands on the wheel, and I'm guessing a lot of us don't either.

Coffee, soda, water? No big deal... leave it in the cupholder until you can comfortably get to it.

Talk radio? No thanks. Don't need another source of potential road rage. :mad:

One eyed license? A law-enforcement (both car & motorcycle) officer friend of mine lost an eye to cancer years ago.

I seem to remember 'dual outside mirror' requirements years ago for one-eyed or hearing impaired drivers, but since most cars have mirrors on both sides now, it's pretty much a moot point.
    Coffee, soda, water? No big deal... leave it in the cupholder until you can comfortably get to it.

Sometimes have a third or half cup of coffee, with lid and small opening for mouth, left over after stopping at a fast food place for a sandwich, burger, etc. Eat the burger in the car while parked, coffee left over. No big deal to finish up coffee while in the car on the road. While fully stopped at one or more traffic signals and waiting for light to turn green. Not inconsiderate. Safe.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    how many semi crashes are the result of the driver being distracted by using his CB radio. :confuse:
    Compare for example the time it takes to move your hand from the stick shift back to the wheel, in case an emergency maneuver is required, vs. replacing the beverage (maybe that hot one) in its holder, then getting both hands on the wheel

If you really had an emergency where for some very odd and rare reason you couldn't do it with one hand and needed a second hand, you could simply throw the drink on the passenger and worry about the spillage later. Takes all of .01 seconds to do that, and you won't get any on yourself.

Spillage is another thing entirely, as our hot drinks (which should have a good lid). First, don't spill, second, if it's hot, be extra careful. If you do spill, don't let it distract you until it is safe to be distracted.
    Yeah, but the open lidded containers are better for quenching the dropped cigarette that's burning a hole in your pants leg.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    This story has a driver cutting in front of the 2nd driver and brake checking him 3 times. On the third time, the 2nd driver rear ended the irrational guy in the video. A marine, indeed.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=73b_1364917659
    If the link doesn't work, full story here:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/03/marine-absolutely-loses-it-during-roa- d-rage-incident-caught-on-tape-get-the-fk-out-of-your-truck/

This message has been approved.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    Jogged by a fender bender maybe 30 seconds after it happened - Infiniti G coupe rear ended a F01 7er - significantly more damage to the Infiniti. Both drivers were standing outside talking on their phones.

Light traffic volumes this afternoon, didn't see many yappers, and most people seemed to use their signals. Weird. Had a tiny young likely new driver woman in an GLK tailgate me for about a mile - I don't think she was being aggressive, just bad driving style - as the road wasn't crowded, and she had plenty of room to go around, and didn't appear to have any emotion or movement at all.
    Infiniti G coupe rear ended a F01 7er - significantly more damage to the Infiniti. Both drivers were standing outside talking on their phones.

F01? What was that? A fighter jet of early vintage? What's it doing on a public road?
    2009+ 7 series.
    I personally find it easier to remember a year range and model name such as 2001-2005.5 A4's rather than B5 or B6 or worse E38, E45 vs. a year range and 330 or 325 or 335
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    That's pretty insane. Yeah, like you're going to convince someone to get out of a vehicle by promising to pummel them. Riiiigggghhhht. :D

It's too bad the video doesn't include the alleged incident that sparked the confrontation, but I've been in a situation like that before and the first thought going through your head isn't, "gee, I should film this for posterity."
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    For safety purposes, it's so worth it to beep that horn over speed bumps.
    It's for the children.
    (it's safer for a few of them to be awakened briefly than to be hit by cars while sleepwalking or whatever.)
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    yes indeed, it's a Boston/NE thing. Hub of the universe.
    Drove a bit today, a few dumb people out there. Got behind a Civic on a right turn highway interchange with its left signal on, going no more than 40mph, braking for no reason - went around it, funny hat driver had a death grip, I didn't get close to the speed limit and blew past, and could see others doing similar.

Got behind a woman I won't describe, Honda Pilot, green turn arrow, she stops and dawdles so we miss the light, I honk (which apparently wakes her up), she lunges forward, then freezes, then tries to reverse - she gets back a little and then scares me with her lack of attention and awareness, so I honk again, she stops and I feel relieved.

Saw several phone yappers/texters, and few turn signal users.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    Speaking of non-motorists being irritated, today I saw a guy on a bicycle being held up (and yelling, motioning) on a busy 4 lane 30mph arterial because the oldsters in a MPV in front of him randomly came to a stop to look at a building. Oblivious.

One of my worst-ever encounters happened while I was on my road bike. This was several Aprils ago, in a beach town in NC. The middle section of this barrier island can get a bit congested, and my 16-17mph in the headwind actually kept me with vehicle traffic pretty well. A college-age female driving a CR-V with MD plates pulled out of a side street and forced me to brake... and then brake-checked me again.

I gave her a well-deserved earful and invited her to return to MD when I passed her before making my left turn at one of two signal lights on the island.
    edited April 2013
    Seems to be a lot of that going around.

Bikes Sharing the Road