Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    In WA, all they have to do is get "Law Enforcement Memorial" plates, which I would wager receive leniency from well compensated taxmen/patrolmen.

Around here, hang out around a law enforcement office with nearby restaurants, and eventually you'll see some fun stuff.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    The LLC may or might be able to provoke rage in another driver, but remember it is the other driver who makes the decision to react in a rage.

Enraged drivers are not the only dangers on the road. The un-enraged driver may be put in a more dangerous situation solely because of the LLC forcing them to pass on the right, which is inherently more dangerous.

So it doesn't require rage, or idiocy for an LLC to create a dangerous situation. Traffic congestion in and of itself raises the risk level, and that congestion is caused by the LLC.

Frankly, the act of LLCing is in and of itself proof of horrible driving, inattention, negligence, or outright ignorance and incompetence. If it is on purpose then it is a form of aggressive driving in and of itself.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    The LLC may or might be able to provoke rage in another driver, but remember it is the other driver who makes the decision to react in a rage.

Most states have signs on their Interstates and other multi-lane highways that say "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" or "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS"
    They are black letters printed on a rectangular white sign, which means it is the law, just as much as "SPEED LIMIT 65" or whatever.

Therefore, the LLC is violating the law. And whether it's by inciting rage in other drivers, or by forcing them to pass on the right, which is inherently more dangerous, this violation of the law makes the highway less safe.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    Keep + Right + Except +To + Pass = You can't just hang out in the left lane.
    Period. Simple math.
    Move over.
    Keep + Right + Except +To + Pass = You can't just hang out in the left lane.

My wife was pulled over on I-77 in West Virginia a couple years ago. She was doing 75 in a 60, but that's not why she was pulled. Cop warned her about hanging out in the left lane.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,737
    >Speed + Limit = 65

>You can't just speed because you want to do it.

>It's the LAW.

>Period. Simple math.

>Slow down.

This message has been approved.

edited May 2013
    >Speed + Limit = 65

>You can't just speed because you want to do it.

>It's the LAW.

>Period. Simple math.

>Slow down.

And who put you in charge of enforcing an arbitrary and artificially low speed limit? Isn't that why we have police patrolling the highways?
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    Well, if all the LLCs were to get out of the left lane, those that choose to go faster could pass me, since I'm in the right or center lane about 95% of the time.

Not only are you not the lane monitor, you're not the speed police, either.
    Well, if all the LLCs were to get out of the left lane, those that choose to go faster could pass me, since I'm in the right or center lane about 95% of the time.

Of course the LLCs will argue that if you would just drive the speed limit, it wouldn't matter what lane they were in.

Unfortunately, arguing the law will only take us in circles.

OTOH, common courtesy dictates that we drive on the right and pass on the left. Or that we don't hold up traffic.

Studies have shown that 85% of drivers will travel at a safe speed for that roadway, regardless of the speed limit. There has been progress since the mid 1990s when states were again allowed to set their own limits, but I'd wager that a lot of speed limits are lower than the 85th percentile speed. So where a SL is 65 mph, the maximum safe speed could be 70-75 mph. Until an LLC decides he/she wants to enforce the 65 mph limit, therefore making the highway less safe.
    >And who put you in charge of enforcing an arbitrary and artificially low speed limit? Isn't that why we have police patrolling the highways?

That would be the same people who gave you the right to enforce the arbitrary lane laws? That's why we have police patrolling the highways. :)

It would be better if the people wanting to speed and yet point fingers at others would just take care of their driving and not try to enforce the lane laws. Just slow down and obey the speed limits. :sick:

It would be better if the people wanting to speed and yet point fingers at others would just take care of their driving and not try to enforce the lane laws. Just slow down and obey the speed limits.

You don't have a moral or legal high ground here. It's just convenient that the LLC can actually impose his or her will on the other drivers. Whereas the speeder would have to drive up on the shoulder and move the LLC back into the right lane in order to "enforce" the law.

But I guess that's what LLCing is really about... imposing your will.

Like I said in another post... it's pointless for LLCs and speeders to argue the law. Both are breaking it. But the "speeder" traveling at the 85th percentile speed is not making the highway inherently less safe, while the LLC is.

Not to mention the whole common courtesy thing. Give and take, you know?
    edited May 2013
    >But I guess that's what LLCing is really about... imposing your will.

Indeed. Odd that speeders who are often tailgaters and aggressive drivers project their own imposition of will into the idea that it's others trying to control them. Paranoia? :surprise:

>Not to mention the whole common courtesy thing. Give and take, you know?

Yup. :)

If I'm in the left lane, I'm not going below the given speed limit. If someone else needs to speed and go above the limit, I am happy to move to another lane when it's convenient to safely do so. If I'm already doing above the limit, a violation of law, I move over when it's safe and convenient to do so.

I just do my own driving and let them do their own.

>Give and take, you know?

It's easy to identify the LLDs as they drive aggressively. They don't get out of the left lane as they overtake someone on the highway. They themselves won't use the open spaces, if any, in the lanes to the right to tuck in for a while; instead they just stay in the left lane. However, they do intend to "make" everyone else clear "their" lane.

On the other hand, watch the drivers who believe in keeping right for themselves. They tuck into a clear area to the right and then move out to the leftmost lane to pass. They're the ones for whom I'll plan ahead to be over in a lane to the right if there's a long enough space for me to drive without having to slow down below my superlegal or legal speed.

It's all in sharing the road rather than using a machine to vent one's aggressions. The automobile and the road are meant for traveling and not power games.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    edited May 2013
    You all do realize, don't you, that the troll was well fed over the last day? Seriously; don't take the bait! We've already discussed this topic over, and over, and over.... :sick:
    edited May 2013
    Indeed. I had to feed the troll too, but had no idea it would snowball so badly.

And I'll say it again - just keep right. No matter your speed or your aged stubbornness, just keep right except to pass. It works in locations with superior human development indices to the US, it can work here, too. Even in middle America.

Also, "sharing the road" means both moving around the slowpokes without aggression, and for the slowpokes to know their place and move over. It needs to be a two way street.

I'll end it with saying speed limits need to be justified by the untouchable overpaid bodies who set and enforce them, with fear of losing their bloated undeserved pensions if they fail to do so. It's time for these pseudo-engineers and egoistic LEOs to put up or shut up.
    No real bad driving noticed this morning, but did see quite a few phone yappers - sunglassed dbag (it wasn't sunny) in a hideous black Escalade and a similar git in a Lexus IS come to mind. Oh, saw one of our beloved and necessary third world taxi drivers go straight in a turn only lane, earning a nice honk from the car he cut off.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Last June in Message 18834, I wrote about perhaps the most dangerous and outrageous LLC I have ever seen: "Yesterday on I90, a Prius is blocking traffic in the the left lane. Car was weaving slightly. Cars ahead of me getting around in right lane over maybe 3-5 miles. My turn to get around, look to left when passing and saw a woman holding a cell phone to ear and had what looked like a wad of 8.5 x 11 printed papers on her steering wheel."
    Just slow down and obey the speed limits.

What if you can't obey the 65 MPH speed limit because the LLC is going 62 or 63 MPH in the left lane? You are obeying the speed limit, yet you will rear-end them in the left lane going the speed limit if they don't move over to the right to avoid impeding you; which they are doing as I've stated they are a LLC.
    Of course the LLCs will argue that if you would just drive the speed limit, it wouldn't matter what lane they were in.

that's a wildly fallacious argument as the LLC's will then say stuff like:

Anything within 5 MPH of the speed limit is good enough to them because

1. Humans can't control their speed as good as cruise control can.
    2. Speedometers might not be accurate.
    3. Conditions might make someone slow down (of course you can slow down for conditions in the right lane better than in the left lane).
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    edited May 2013
    My inconsiderate of the year..... INCONSIDERATE BIRDS!

Seriously. I wash my car probably three times per year, and all between about May 1 and Sept 15th, because the rest of the year is frozen, dark, and cleaning cars during that time is generally a difficult, pointless endeavor.

So, after a full seven months of crud accumulation on my new car, I cleaned it on Sunday until it gleamed with a radiance that previously only existed in faded memory. It was a wondrous beacon of automotive shine! Monday night, when I left work to drive home, wouldn't you know it....

Apparently, a very large gathering of very small birds decided to alight upon the overhead electric wires nearby and all take flight simultaneously in a southern direction.... You see where this is going, right? Yeah, about 30+ bird mini-bombs on my perfectly clean car... less than 24 hours after washing it for the first time since September 2012. I should note, here, that there was nary a dropping on it over that time.

Oh, the terrible irony. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. My wife, on the other hand, had no such reservations; she immediately laughed. Later, she told me that it served me right (I guess she was still mad that I didn't wash her car on Sunday. Apparently, it was Mother's Day, and that would have been a thoughtful thing for me to do.). :(