Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• jjackson12jjackson12 Posts: 27
    Not trying to pick a fight, just gently reminding the LLC that they shouldn't be in the left lane, capped with an exclamation mark of full throttle acceleration as soon as they move right.

You could also try flashing your high beams a couple of hundred times.

That will teach them a lesson.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    The lack of repercussions is precisely why so many drive so poorly.

I favor cattle-catchers mounted on the front of cars; that way, should someone not recognize the 'slower traffic keep right' ideal... one can simply ram the offending driver off the road (given an appropriate warning, such as a flash of the high-beams, and time to respond).

You'd quickly see the errant behavior end, as there would actually *BE* repercussions for doing so. Much in the same way that speeders are pulled over by police, ticketed, and points assessed on their record.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    A small car-to-car missile or some kind of EMP probe would do the job, too.

I was out today, got behind a couple of women in an early 00s STS - so slow. I had to honk to get them to exceed 20. Going downhill, would hit the brakes when they got within 5 of the limit. Would tap the brakes everytime an oncoming car passed by. And the driver didn't even appear to be very old, nor a newbie. Finally turned - signaled two blocks beforehand before rounding the corner at 4mph. Seriously. Why are people like this?
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    edited May 2013
    Finally turned - signaled two blocks beforehand before rounding the corner at 4mph. Seriously. Why are people like this?

Well, you can start by firing their driving instructor, and firing their DMV driver's license tester.

Their trainer should have taught them better, and the driver's license test should fail such shenanigans.

Speaking of which, doesn't the DMW usually only require teenagers to spend just 6 hours driving with an instructor in the vehicle? If your an adult suddenly learning how to drive correctly is no longer important and zero hours are required I believe. All you have to do is get lucky and make 25 good guesses on a multiple choice exam, and avoid breaking any obvious laws during a 5 minute drive around the block.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    I have 2 kids in Driver's Ed now. 6 hours of instructed drive included in the course, but they must also have a minimum of 50 hours of practice driving (documented by parents) before they qualify for the drive test for their license. Drive tests are now administered by the driving schools, not the DOL. Pass the class, pass the drive test, get your hours in, take all the paperwork to DOL & smile for the camera.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, here the testing is privatized - which is probably more efficient, but I bet opens the door for potential shenanigans - ie: spend enough, get a license. I suspect it won't help conditions on the road.

And that's right, IIRC at 18, one can simply pass the written and 15 minute driving test, and that's it - you're free to drive an Accent or a Veyron or a 42ft behemoth motorhome. It at least needs to be as difficult as getting a motorcycle endorsement. Those are also privatized now, but from the motorcycle instructors I have met, they won't just pass someone for the hell of it.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    edited May 2013
    Kids here always seem to flunk at least the first test and often the second, and often for no rhyme or reason.

That costs the family another $100 to retest, most of which goes in the tester's pocket. Quite the scam and it really hurts the family when you live in a place where there's no good jobs.

My neighbor is retired DMV; back in his day he'd ask the parents if their kid could drive (everybody knows everybody). If Dad say yes, the kid would get the license - no test. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,020
    edited May 2013
    Drive tests are now administered by the driving schools, not the DOL. Pass the class, pass the drive test, get your hours in, take all the paperwork to DOL & smile for the camera.

I've mentioned this before, but I sent my son to the two day teen school at the BMW Performance Center as well as to the BMW CCA Foundation's one day Street Survival course(which let him experience how his own car handled in extreme situations). The Street Survival course is a huge bargain at just $75.

Kids here always seem to flunk at least the first test and often the second, and often for no rhyme or reason.

My son flunked the first time because he bumped one of the cones in the parallel parking test. That's totally understandable; hundreds of kids die every year while attempting that dangerous procedure...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 242
    "hundreds of kids die every year while attempting that dangerous procedure... "

You owe me a keyboard...mine has coffee on it now...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    edited May 2013
    Construction zone: I was at an unfamiliar ramp onto an overpass on a major back highway where they built an overpass instead of the ground level stoplight intersection with US Route 40. They have a stop sign on a ramp at a 90 degree turn that's on the uphill part of the overpass. Apparently they didn't want to buy more land to build a real ramp.

I looked, gauged the oncoming Honda to be far enough away in a 45 mph construction zone and accelerated. But not full throttle which would have wound rapidly through my lower 2 gears and had me moving.

I didn't realize that the uphill slope would cut my acceleration along with the AC compressor that was on low volume. So the oncoming Element had to slow down for me as I was doing about 40 by the time he caught up to me. I didn't accelerate full throttle at first underestimating the slope AND I didn't accelerate at first enough to cut off the AC with the throttle position.

The Element tailgated me at 5 feet behind up over the top of the overpass and down the other side at 45 mph. The speed limit of the road was 50 in that area normally. If I'd been in my 98 leSabre, I might have had to brake for a dog or cat on the road, but I'm not ready to trade this 03 leSabre.

So I was the inconsiderate boob who didn't just wait. But I decided I was no longer the problem and the tailgating Element was the problem. Of course he zoomed around me since I was only doing 50 in the high semi traffic zone at the I-70 service area. The driver was doing nothing to mitigate the effects of my driving error.

You really don't want to tailgate someone with the company name on the doors of your company vehicle. Maybe he thought gray hair meant I wouldn't be able to see the sign. But I've spent lots of money from me and Mediscare getting new eyes last summer. I called his company asking what this guy's problem was other than I slowed him down by about 10 seconds in his arrival to the I-70 ramp to Columbus from London. I admonished the manager about how that kind of driving appears to the general public and how I really would like to have a replacement car for my 98 leSabre and I wished I had been driving it. I believe I also mentioned road rage as an adjective for the 5-foot tailgating.

I was inconsiderate. I am a recovering inconsiderate driver. This is the first step of the 12-step process. :)

This message has been approved.

I fear something different in my area, ie; you have a lot of money but are a crap driver - just pay me enough, and I will pass you. With some of the shenanigans I see from high end cars with newbie looking drivers, my theory isn't without merit.
    Was on foot today, saw a cop driving behind a bicyclist. I didn't see what happened, but the cop announced over the intercom "if you are going to ride on the street, you must follow traffic laws!". I laughed out loud.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    The truck from Edmonton on its way to Vancouver, Washington was carrying a drilling machine which was too tall unless the truck moved over toward the center of the two lanes., which the driver wanted to do. But because a truck was passing him on his left, he could not move over - and I suspect he therefore struck one of the diagonal braces across the top of the bridge entrance. (The brace above the outside lane is curved to be lower by design.)

The at fault trucker was hemned in by another Southbound trucker traveling adjacently. IMO, the other trucker pinning the Canadian truck to the outside lane is most inconsiderate.

Yet, the Canadian trucker should have slowed down on approach to the bridge and given himself enough time to occupy the center lane of the two lanes going his way.

Always look out for the truckers & yield to them for safety. ;)
    edited May 2013
    >Always look out for the truckers & yield to them for safety.

I see the wink icon, but I have to respond to the other meaning of that statement.

For a few years here in this greater area we had signs up showing that the car driver should not cut in front of truck after passing. They had to go out an unknown greater distance before moving back into the lane in front of the semi.

In Kentucky, they even ran (run now) public service commercials from the highway department to not cut in front of trucks because it causes them to get into accidents. The signs have disappeared from where I used to see them on I-75 in Ohio. I don't know if KY still has the signs. \

But why is it okay for truckers to cut in front of cars with as little as 8 feet spare before they wag their trailer back over, but cars cutting over with much greater distances to spare in front of trucks causes accidents? Gimmeabreak.

In KY they actually used a distance radar in a trap truck to measure how closely autos pulled over in front of the truck and then gave them tickets.

I give truckers courtesy and about 60% respond. I find FedEx semis and dual trailer drivers to be very good drivers in this part of Ohio. We have a terminal near I-70 and I-75 junction, so there are a lot of them.

As for the I-5 semi driver: that's why God invented brakes--he should have stopped instead of entering the bridge. However, I find a few of the semi drivers traveling resist using their brakes to slow down for anything, even when they are exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph.

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    edited May 2013
    However, I find a few of the semi drivers traveling resist using their brakes to slow down for anything, even when they are exceeding the speed limit by 5 mph.

Why would anyone brake to slow down by 5 mph?!? Just take your foot of the gas pedal and gently coast slower.

Brakes are meant for stopping... killing speed to avoid accidents, collisions, and to keep oneself from flying off the road, *NOT* for the minute by minute regulation of your cruising speed!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Everytime I see drivers like this (tapping their brakes every 30 seconds or so), or those that comment in the same vein... all I can think of is a scene from Happy Gilmore.

Happy Gilmore - Just Tap it in...
    I see you've driven on I5 between Seattle and Olympia - brake tapper city. They do it when the road turns, too.

Locally, I think turn signals have gone away for the holiday weekend. Some appalling driving out there yesterday and today - random unsignalled turns and turns from the wrong lane galore. I also notice the city has put up a sign at a major intersection reminding free-turners that the U-turn lane on the cross street has the right of way when the free turn lane has red. I've seen many a close call there, esp by the new to motoring set who we so dearly need.

Got to use the horn yesterday, couldn't hold it in. Stuck behind a Camry going 25 in a 35, crawling, then at the last second gets into a turn lane with no signal. I hit the horn, driver glares at me. If only I had a car-to-car missile launcher.

Also lots of stupid light sequencing, as city traffic volumes are light for the long weekend. I saw a late model Jag XK stop and go on a red, bravo, someone else who is fed up with the negligent "engineering" of local traffic controls.
    Brake tapping: Often caused by left foot braking, with the foot resting on the brake pedal. My dad was infamous (and infuriating) for this!

The truck I drive at work has engine braking (aka 'Jake Brake') - if it's activated, and you take your foot off the gas to decelerate, it triggers the brake lights. Might be what's happening with the trucks in your example as well.
    >Brakes are meant for stopping... killing speed to avoid accidents, collisions, and to keep oneself from flying off the road, *NOT* for the minute by minute regulation of your cruising speed!!!

That doesn't even make sense in rereading of my post. The word "tapping" is not mentioned. Too much caffeine?

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    So, is this "inconsiderate", "safe" or "reckless"?

Got on an interstate under reconstruction yesterday afternoon to go east. Had considered an alternative route but decided to take a chance on getting on the interstate and usual heavy Sunday/holiday traffic. Two lanes each way with trucks, semis required to use left lane.

On the ramp and just before merge noticed a huge, huge backup of vehicles from the west, which would be behind me. Merged into the right lane just behind a black limo with livery license plate. A semi was next to me in left lane and another semi just in front of him.

For next 8 miles, 8 MILES, the semi drivers and the limo driver drove exactly the construction zone speed limit. Safe and legal drivers no doubt. With the limo driver exactly placing the rear of his/her car at the front bumper of the trailing semi, for 8 MILES. Noticed no traffic, vehicles in front of this blocking trio. Finally, the construction situation changed a little and allowed getting around both the limo and each semi.
    Which is exactly what would happen if everyone was a slave to the speed limit, as some have advocated on these pages. Good reason not to be.