Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,887
    edited June 2013
    LOL yeah, flighty young fairer-set in 100K vehicles "earned" them, certainly not belonging to parental largesse or especially a certain group who marries lucky. And bozo aging exec types certainly earned it too, in no way is it a combination of lucky birth and less competition. Nope, all hard work, education, honest and ethical dealings.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    edited June 2013
    For every dollar spent on the 99% at least 2 dollars are spent on the 1%.

So yes, people should complain about welfare, the welfare for CEO's and big corporations mainly based on Wall Street.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    How do you explain MLC's when there are 6 lanes?

What about LLC's when there are 6 lanes?

Often times, the right lane becomes the fast lane in heavy traffic due to all the campers.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    How do you explain MLC's when there are 6 lanes?

What about LLC's when there are 6 lanes?

Did you see my use of the word "sometimes?" Or the phrase "depending on where you are?"

You'll find me in the rightmost lane that I can maintain desired speed, and no, I'm not above changing lanes (99% of the time to the left) to pass. If the exits are closely spaced, that won't be the far right lane. In several urban areas (such as Louisville), that might be the #3 lane out of 5, because #4 and #5 tend to randomly peel off as Exit Only lanes.
    On foot this morning, I can say the worst/most oblivious drivers were in Range Rovers and X5s. Do these things have both no turn signals, and a seating position that prevents the driver from turning their empty head?
    edited June 2013
    Drove down south of Seattle on 405/5, then north of the city on 5, then back home on 5/405 - about 80 miles of driving. Quite a few LLCs out there today - white box vans and big pickups especially, but a middle aged woman in a Lexus ES sticks in my head. Saw an aggressively driven semi with Canadian plates weaving around and trying to pass people on the right - they are notorious for that kind of thing here. Saw a Jag F-type probably going 80-90 on northbound 5, but traffic was sparse, didn't matter.
    Are in Kentucky. I might actually go for 2 months without hearing about a school bus accident here in Louisville because most of the schools are out... and I bailed out an incompetent bus driver today.

Usually it seems like there's at least one school bus crash per month in the Louisville Metro. I had never heard of so many school bus crashes, and wrote it off to a lot of buses logging a lot of miles in a bussed district, or maybe extra media attention due to the infamous 1988 crash (in which the bus driver and passengers were the victim of a wrong-way drunk driver). There was even another fatal bus crash in one of the outlying areas within the last year, which was the result of the bus driver going too fast and losing control.

Today I was driving down the Gene Snyder, and spotted a school bus well ahead of me in the left lane. This was near the Shelbyville Road interchange, so I figured he was making room for merging traffic, and he was up to the speed limit (65mph). As I get closer, I see that he has his hazards on.

Another 3 miles later, we are past I-64 and all the on-ramp business is sorted out. The school bus continued to LLC at the speed limit or just above, still with his hazards on. I'm just closing up in the right lane, doing about 72, figuring I'll just go by. I had my nose up to the rear wheel when he started coming over. And this was no drift... he kept coming over. I lay on the horn and take evasive action to the right. I was just starting to get my left-sides on to the rumble strips when he finally jerked back left and let me get back on the road.

The kicker is it was a charter bus full of kids. WTF? LLCing, hazards, and just plain running me off the road. I'm now convinced Kentucky really has the worst school bus drivers!
    No, I wasn't around this one, but it's a good reminder to expect the unexpected whenever you encounter a school bus in Kentucky...

http://www.wave3.com/story/22562375/loaded-school-bus-involved-in-injury-acciden- t
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 885
    He probably forgot to turn the hazards off after the last railroad track stop. Are these local school district buses, or contracted ones such as First Student or Durham?
    He probably forgot to turn the hazards off after the last railroad track stop. Are these local school district buses, or contracted ones such as First Student or Durham?

Interesting theory... makes me wonder how long they had been on. I had seen him on the freeway for several miles before he helped me get acquainted with the rumble strips, and the surprisingly cambered shoulder.

Today's buses (the one that ran me off the road, and the one that crashed in the afternoon) were both charter buses. To be fair, the one that crashed on I-64 had some catastrophic failure that involved a wheel coming off, which caused it to take a hard left from the right-most of 3 lanes, after which it went nose-first into the Jersey barrier. Actually there was some vivid footage from the dashcam of a semi that was just behind.
    edited June 2013
    Driving home today had nothing bad - even with the 13mph average speed due to negligent traffic controls and the untouchables who manage them.

But when on foot...saw numerous phone holding yappers including several in cars I know have bluetooth, got crosswalk crowded by a couple of older women in a Lexus LS (who I yelled at as a window was down), and a guy on a motorcycle yelling at a guy in a car who possibly almost changed lanes into him.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    I found out Iowa is popular with campers this time of year... LLCers, that is. On a round trip today from the Twin Cities to Des Moines, I saw more LLCers than I have in any other one-day period. Ever. Maybe the rain had something to do with it, I don't know.

At times it was very hard rain, very dark, very poor visibility. Yet still a few idiots like a black A6 driving with no lights on. You'd think a car like that would have automatic lights. Even the stripper Malibu rental I was driving had them. But I had the headlights "on" the whole trip... automatic lights don't always come on when lights should be on.
    edited June 2013
    Rough plodding drive home tonight - local yokels seemed slower than usual, combined with negligently managed (I should have pursued public sector work) traffic controls made for gridlock everywhere. Another 15mph average speed even though half the way is on 40mph roads. At a metered on-ramp, saw a Pacifica jam to a stop for no reason in the carpool lane (confused idiot driver, of course) - motorcycle behind it had to do a nice swerve to avoid it. Best phone yapper was in a Z8 - driver looked pretty young, so I will wager daddy's car. And what's with staying a million car lengths back at lights and when going 20? And once again noticed that M3s can't take off at under 3K rpm and must average 6K rpm from there on.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    I should have pursued public sector work

Oh, I don't know about that! As much as you loathe the lack of accountability, I would hate to see you harbor such self-loathing! :P
    I'd probably be canned in the first year probation period or however they work it. I'd dare to try to fix things, which would upset the old guard, no doubt.

Been noticing lately that lots of people won't run their headlights around 0530 (when I go to work) - sure there is light in the sky, but not a ton. What's the mentality behind this? Trying to appear stealthy or save some imagined .00001 mpg?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    It's .0001, but yeah. :P

Maybe they all just came from a vacation in Fairbanks! People here drive around the clock without lights now. Yes, you can do so and see the road just fine, but it would really nice if they used lights from at least 2300 - 0400 given the low-angle light and/or glare during those hours.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    As you have seen the lightless, they obviously are visible to the rest of your area as well so they don't need to be on. ;)
    If everyone else was as hyper-attentive as I, the roads would be a much better place :shades:
    That's related to a problem I see here - even in the early morning light, areas shaded by trees (many roads here are fully under a tree canopy) are still pretty dark.

Something else I have noticed on a couple local cars - those with automated running lights (MBs) have been disabled. It's a simple change in the settings, but why would someone want to be less visible?
    Today saw a transit bus enter a major intersection well after yellow, went through red, dawdled in front of cars it cut off on the cross street, before stopping. Why?

Last night got to honk at a slow turner who honked back. Hey, you're in the wrong, stopping in the middle of the road for nothing then turning at 2mph. Watch yourself. Saw a simp in a Scion turning at ~3mph from an arterial street, too. Watch out for that cornering force!