Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    We aren't "judging" them. We have no power to punish them with our opinions.

I have always felt that morons behind the wheel will eventually punish themselves--they don't need me. I'm just enjoying the show in the background.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    We aren't "judging" them.

Sure you, and others, are. At least be honest about it.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Perhaps not judging or thinking badly about them, but discerning what you observe does not include a punishment in the process. One can be aware, with his values, without being a punitive judge.

Stick to the speed limit.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    When a rich idiot fritters his money away, that's a good thing. For he spends it on stuff. Stuff that *OTHERS* charge for.

Meaning other, less stupid people, earn a living thanks to that moron.

As for the poor driving of an uber-exotic by a rich moron... well, he'll soon be buying a new uber-exotic (after wrecking the old one). Which means that the workers of the auto company get paid.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,900
    edited July 2013
    Actually, it can be of concern anytime one wants it to be, especially when on a public road. If I see it, I can ponder it.

Educated guesses, my friend ;)

I could be wrong, but chances are, I'm not.

On the thread topic, I drove back and forth to my grandma's today (detailed her car, see, I am nice :shades: ) and traffic was amazingly awesome and well behaved. No LLCs, no crawlers, no weavers, no obvious yappers, just flowing traffic. I even saw a BMW use its turn signal! (but then got behind one that didn't)
    edited July 2013
    Nobody will point at you, you drive an invisible car (and you like it that way) - you could hit a flock of nuns and nobody would see it :shades:

But drive a white Maserati like a [non-permissible content removed], and people will see it, and make educated guesses. I find it fascinating how some people keep their head in the sand about the relationship between smoke and fire. I hope that doesn't make me intolerant. Oh, bleeding hearts, what would we do without you.
    edited July 2013
    I hope that doesn't make me intolerant.

Oh, pretty sure it does. Call it an "educated guess." :shades: Or if not intolerant, likely one or more of these, related to intolerant per Webster's:

uncompromising, unforgiving, unyielding; complaining, fussing, griping, grumbling, kvetching, protesting, squawking, whining
    edited July 2013
    Yes, indeed. My hope for not being seen as intolerant was sarcastic, you know :P

Kind of like when say "aww nice" when I see a dopey move on the road.
    edited July 2013
    Backy you were referring to the BIBLICAL phrase of "judge not, lest...blah blah" and that definitely implies that the judge also punishes.

I don't wish these morons ill. I'm only pointing out that they are thoroughly incompetent when piloting 2 tons of steel hurtling at 75 mph down the same road I'm on.

I feel I have a right to voice my objection. :P

If you saw, say, a WELDER who was welding a full gas tank, you'd "judge" him---STOP YOU IDIOT!
    My apologies. I didn't know you are also a Biblical scholar. You're a talented guy.

How about this one, not from the Bible: "Intolerant is as intolerant does, sir."

There is a difference between observing what happens right in front of you, and reporting on that, and making assumptions (and judgements) about the person's intelligence, income, where they got their money, etc. etc. etc.

That is all. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    edited July 2013
    Unavoidable. Human nature. You're "judging" me right now :P

You know those higway signs that say "report drunk drivers"? it's like that with me.

When I observe, and judge, bad driving on the highway I am undertaking an act of self-preservation. I don't feel I have to apologize for it.

for all I know, the person I observed grinding the front air dam on a Maserati to bits in a parking lot, might have stolen it.

In any event, it bears watching. My observing kicks in first, the judging is slightly afterwards.
    We are all observing and judging bad driving here... that's the point of the discussion.

What is not the point of the discussion is [non-permissible content removed]-uming and judging things that have absolutely nothing to do with observed driving behavior.

You make an excellent point: "for all I know...". Yes. Exactly. We DON'T know.

Why can't we focus on the inconsiderate driving and how much we detest it, not how much we detest certain types of people, based on how much money they have or other things that have nothing to do with driving?
    Well it's the incompetent part I'm judging, not the rich part. If they (the rich person, or the scam artist, as the case may be) drives his new Ferrari like a recently escaped chimpanzee, I only noticed the entire event because of the driving.

If I, living in an affluent part of California, merely ENVIED every $100,000++ car I saw on the road, I'd have no life.

but when that $100,000 car (or house, or piece of artwork) is being ruined, wrecked or abused, it's really hard to blithely ignore these acts of carnage.

Especially if you LOVE cars in the first place. It might not be quite as difficult to restrain judgement as say it would be for a dog lover to watch a dog being whipped, but sometimes with me it's close! :P
    There's the fun - it is completely logical that irresponsible ostentatious unearned wealth that has never had to answer to anyone would drive in a manner that is irresponsible and appears to never answer to anyone. Funny how that works. In FACT, those assumptions have much to do with driving.

Just skip the posts you don't like instead of trying to dictate discussion, nobody has a right to not be offended.

Time to start taxing trust funds at 98% and giving wealth-based traffic fines (like in some real developed nations) as real deterrents to douchebaggery. Keep right except to pass.
    edited July 2013
    It's a two-way street. The rich judge the poor even more severely. *I even judge the "poor", when I see a beater going down the road, bellowing smoke and with the muffler dragging sparks on the ground.

The egalitarian might say "well he has as much right to be on the road as YOU, mr. fancy-pants Mini Cooper owner"

Well yes and no. He has the right to drive a safe, clean-burning car in a competent manner, as much as I do.

Does the Harley rider have the "right" to create so much noise as to break your front window when he drives past?

I don't think so.
    Does the Harley rider have the "right" to create so much noise as to break your front window when he drives past?

That wins the Red Herring of the Month Award! :)

Such a Harley is clearly in violation of noise ordinances... unless your municipality doesn't have them, then I feel sorry for you. No one has the "right" to break the law... including speed laws, no-turn-on-red laws, pollution and safety laws (for the beater bellowing smoke and dragging a muffler). People who choose to break the law need to be ready to accept the consequences of their decision.

But let's talk about what a despicable person that Harley rider is, in fact, how despicable all the low-lifes who ride motorcycles are. We all know every single one is a no-brain, no-class idiot with no consideration for anyone else. They should all be forced to pay a $50,000 per year tax for disturbing our peace and quiet with their obnoxious bikes.

"Just my opinion" of course... but I'm most likely correct about it. ;)
    Actually that's what Harley-Davidson thought about Harley riders, that they were low-lifes--they fired all their old customers in the 1980s and made motorcycle riding respectable for families.

Marketing is "judgement" too.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    just as " nobody has a right to not be offended."

you do not have a right to be offensive. :D
    edited July 2013
    Just as you claim road ragers choose to become enraged by LLCs and other surplus population, the offended are choosing to be offended :P

When questioning unearned wealth in this age of so many financial crimes becomes offensive...something is broken.
    edited July 2013
    Sadly, in much if not most of the US, there are no enforceable standards for noise or vehicle condition. I see some sketchy stuff on the road here (as my state lacks inspections and only has emissions testing in densely populated areas). Sometimes it also isn't a matter of money, but simple ignorance or laziness, when it comes to rotten cars on the road. For some people, cars just aren't in their minds as anything more than transport. They drive it til it dies, then fix it or replace it. I'd be all for German or British style inspections, but sadly, residential housing and transportation infrastructure here wouldn't support it, not to mention the socio-economic chasm.

Loud smoke belching small man syndrome diesel pickups annoy me even more than weekend rebel Harley riders (who around here are casualties as much as typically idiotic kids on sportbikes). However, no laws exist to do anything about it, and there's no way any will be passed. Wouldn't be "business friendly" or some such nonsense.

Oh yeah,speaking of Harleys, the other day I saw a stereotype with loud pipes, tin can helmet, smoking a cigar (!) while "riding" his 1200lb hog. I almost laughed out loud.

And to point to a previous sad distraction, I also don't know of many Harley riders who are irresponsible overgrown teenagers living off daddy's money like so many of the local young supercar set. The should-be-taxed-to-death trust fund set usually lacks the wherewithal to operate a motorcycle to begin with. Harley riders are easier to stereotype - usually an aging boomer who is still reliving Easy Rider :shades: