Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,910
    Took a drive up to the mountains today. Lots of traffic on 90, not too much bad, but a few oddities. First, I am in the right lane, going 65 in a 60, light traffic. Dodge truck comes up behind me, sits there, then shoots past going maybe 80 and vanishes. About 15 minutes later, when the road is wider and the limit is 70, I pass him as he is dawdling at 68 in the middle lane. I don't really see him again after that.

Later, I am in the middle lane, going ~70 in a 70, Prius exits on the right - then at the last second veers back onto the highway, crossing over the gore point for a long time. He then goes slow and vanishes. But maybe 20 minutes later, the limit is 60, and he passes me on the left, going at least 75 - and he was the sole occupant in a carpool lane.

Third irritant was an older woman in a garish pearl white Escalade flicking her cigarette out the window. Just right for dry summer conditions. Drove for ~140 miles, didn't see a single cop, so that's nice.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    edited July 2013
    Didn't see a cop within 140 miles doesn't mean they were not out there. Look out for the Black plain Suburban and a few Explorers also unmarked.

Staters on motorcycles = common in this weather.
    edited July 2013
    Oh for sure - but from my experience, the WSP doesn't really hide out too much - they are usually easy to spot, and they don't seem to pick off anyone going under 10 over (in good weather and traffic). They go for the inattentive who are going too fast. If someone goes 80 in a 60 past a grey SUV parked near an overpass, they deserve to be pulled over. It's the city and county revenuers IMO who hide out more and are stricter, as they have numerous quotas or at least, soft goals.

In Bellevue, the city PD speedtraps are also easy to find, just look for a long downhill or straight stretch with an underposted limit. I did see COB motorcycles hiding out on a sidewalk downtown a couple weeks ago, but I think they were FINALLY doing crosswalk duty (after many complaints) rather than speedtrapping, as you can't go 10 over when the car in front of you is going 9mph.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    Stick to the speed limit.

As soon as all speed limits are set to the 85th percentile or higher, then that recommendation can become a valid one.

Stick to setting the speed limits correctly!
    Time to start taxing trust funds at 98% and giving wealth-based traffic fines (like in some real developed nations) as real deterrents to douchebaggery. Keep right except to pass.

If you really want the traffic fines to be about deterring people, then yes, they need to be wealth-based amounts, and more important, the funds must not go to the courts, officers, agencies, stations, and other corrupt peddlers that are involved in the enforcement of the traffic laws. The money should go to rebuilding our crumbling roads, which by the way, reduce safety by lowering the G capabilities of cars and increasing braking distances in an emergency.
    edited July 2013
    I'd love to see that be true for phone yapping offenses too. Had a crosswalk crowder with a phone to her ear again today - brainless twit in a Land Rover who didn't notice there were people in a green signaled crosswalk until she started rounding the corner. Should be more than a slap on the wrist. Being an idiot in a clumsy (on road) SUV is worse than doing it in an econobox.

Funny to think that 50 years ago, my grandfather was able to cruise down the same interstates as me, at roughly the same speeds, but in a car with much less safety engineering and handling ability - and it was just fine.
    If you mention that most Interstate Traffic Engineers designed our freeways for 100 MPH traffic, you'll get ostracized as blasphemous and outrageous.

We can't let facts from scientists and engineers get in the way of low speed limits.
    edited July 2013
    And back in the day it was imagined, for 5000lb mastadon cars with drum brakes, numb steering, no passive safety, wallowy handling, and bias ply tires - where today I am sometimes even held to slower speeds in a modern car with 658 airbags, modern crash protection, modern handling, much lower casualty rates, etc. I think many here would jump for joy at a 50mph highway limit. Logic and accountability have left the building.
    There was a story in the media about a local city where the residents got upset at the video speed trap they started doing. Apparently, some kid got ran over and died, and the locals overreacted with speed cameras. Well, one Sunday, apparently 75% of the congregation got ticketed on the way through town going to church, and all hell broke loose. The city was about to be boycotted and they were losing revenues (the businesses were abandoned by customers).

I asked in the comments if the new lower 25 MPH speed limit was obeyed, and someone still got run over and died, would 15 MPH be next? I never got an answer. Why can't people understand speed has nothing to do with most deaths? I can kill you just fine running over you with a Hummer H1 even at 5 MPH.
    edited July 2013
    It would be nice if that really happened - city (and its well paid "servants") acts up, it gets boycotted and financially murdered.

I've always theorized random speed limit changes (when a 40 changes to a 30 for no apparent reason - many of these in my area) are because an old mayor's niece's dog got hit by a car there in 1973, and the supposed authorities overreacted. Either that, or it is a simple revenue generator with no story behind it. There are a few notorious camera "cities" (sprawly strip mall burbs, in reality) in my area, I avoid them, but not because of their safety masquerade, but because they offer nothing in virtually every other way as well.
    edited July 2013
    It would be nice if that really happened - city (and its well paid "servants") acts up, it gets boycotted and financially murdered.

That's really the best way to fight back! The city reacted quickly before being murdered and ended the camera speed ticketing immediately. A judge from the area helped with that by being honest and decrying the system they put in place as "a money grab."

The speed limit is still under-posted however.

They raised sales tax in CA Jan 1. People have "boycotted" purchases, and revenues for the state are down this year despite the .25% increase. CA has reacted by raising gas tax 3 cents per gallon July 1, which is even harder to avoid.

Also, CA is a leader in the let's tax the internet crowd.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Why can't people understand speed has nothing to do with most deaths?
    Your answer when you click on this.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showi- nfo=0
    A judge was honest about camera motivations? That has to be a first. I'd have less issue with traffic law enforcement strategy if the powers that be would finally admit to most of their reasoning. It's money.

All of the issues in CA and still no mass exodus. No room to the north, so go east, please :shades:
    I'm not sure what videos of wacky driving situations in a relatively undeveloped country full of drivers who are relatively new to motoring have to do with speed. The problem in Russia isn't speed. Speed doesn't make old trucks randomly fall apart, or people make left turns from the right lane (those who seem to be the biggest Russian problem areas) etc. Most problems in that collection along with most Russian dashcam videos are inattention and poor planning.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    Oh, Americans. We want a perfect world but we don't want to pay anything for it.

Our tax rate vs. GPD is # 30 out of the 33 countries forming the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). (Europe, Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan, Korea, Mexico, etc.).
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,647
    However, when an accident DOES occur at very high speeds, the results are proportionately gruesome.
    Winners today - typical cab driver in a Prius, varying between 10 under and 10 over, using the whole lane, and at red lights would initially stop way back behind the car in front of him, and slowly creep up during the red duration. Why do people do that?

On foot saw two dumb SUV drivers - one a woman in a Lexus LX who tried to take a free right turn in front of an oncoming left turn lane who had green. Traverse approaching her honked, she let up and then started going again (!), Traverse honked again, I think to protect the scooter behind it, and the halfwit in the LX honked back. Kid in the passenger seat gave me a look like "I don't know her".

And another woman in an Acadia, phone to her ear, crowds a green signaled crosswalk with several pedestrians in it. Time for SUV license endorsement requirements, they make a demographic who too often lacks logic and accountability become even worse.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,958
    slowly creep up during the red duration. Why do people do that?

Obviously afraid that one of "those" people will rear end them while they are yakking on their smart phone.
    I think it is more of a problem with poor spatial awareness. Like the people who need 17 attempts to park in a wide open space.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,958
    Well, if you're the last in line and you stack yourself up in traffic and then see some yahoo bearing down on you, you don't leave yourself much of an out to try to get out of their way.