Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I may have failed to mention the brake check.

Wow, felony false report to Police.

Big risk to take if anyone had a video camera of the situation. Of course, you could commit perjury and state you "can't remember" the brake lights.
  • No, I didn't lie.
    I just failed to add that information. And the cop didn't ask. :confuse:

The cop seemed really interested about how close the BMW was following, how many times he crossed over the yellow line at the edge of the road, and how many times he honked. I wonder if there was a "road rage" added to the "failure to stop"?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,496
    I'd hope hearsay wouldn't be able to lead to such charges. Moot though, as eventually dashcams will record everything. I am waiting for them to be standard equipment, or at least an option from the factory.

This morning, a woman with a phone to her ear in a Prius breezed through a green signaled crosswalk, with me and 2 other people in it. I reached out and slapped her car, would have hit harder but she was moving. No enforcement in the area, but I did see a hardworking revenue assurance officer speedtrapping at the top of a hill. End of month, quota time...oh yeah, no such thing as quotas. It's all about safety, Think of the children!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    edited August 2013
    Waiting in the left lane for a very VERY long left turn signal arrow. It's hot out. Construction gang banging away laying asphalt outside my window. Big 4X4 PlanetPounder SUV in front of me.

Arrow goes green, SUV creeps out....we hear sirens in the distance. SUV driver stops in middle of intersection, me stuck behind them.

I look around for emergency vehicles....nada...good view both ways...I tap the horn as the sirens obviously fade behind us (the old doppler effect) .

SUV sits there.

Light turns red again, they make their left turn, I'm stuck.

Nice.

:mad:

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Driver dopes with cellphones. A common occurrence seen a number of times on any commute, trip. This morning saw a woman in a minivan with cell phone to the ear coming to a stop at a 4-way stop sign. She was "multi-tasking" successfully at that point in time.

Big change coming in Illinois. The governor signed a law taking effect next Jan banning hand-held cell phones by drivers. Hands-free cell phones will be allowed. The Governor and legislators still don't get it. Phone device is not the problem. It is the concentration and distraction caused by the phone conversation.
    I agree with you, but there are some that believe that you are better able to react with both hands on the wheel when something does happen, than you are with one hand. It could be true in a small percentage of cases, but the big picture is the distraction and lack of concentration on driving. The small picture matters, but the big picture matters more.

Two hands don't help you brake or slow down unless you have a hand brake.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Would agree that two hands on the wheel should be required at all times, except for those die-hards still using a manual transmission. Those using a cellphone in left hand (in auto trans cars) could kind of control their vehicle in an emergency if right handed and right hand at 12- o-clock.
    My state has had primary phone laws for a couple years. Enforcement is lax at best. I wonder if it will be the same in IL.

I see more people distracted by animated conversations with passengers than distracted by yelling at their integrated bluetooth setup - not to mention eaters, drinkers, etc.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    My guess is that most of the enforcement is at the scene of the accident.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    In california, everyone does the smart thing, merge at the last second, at the merge point. In New england, everyone merges way ahead of the merge point - as long as it within sight. ditto with the left turn.

I think the reason people prefer to stack in one lane is pretty obvious - there's always some misguided aggressive enforcer twit trying to block people from merging at the end. in normal traffic these people cruise in left or middle lane way below the prevailing speed, we call them LLCs or MLCs.

It may well be that california drivers are better at doing the 'zipper' merge , alternating one car per lane, nice and smooth. on east coast it may be more random - some cars let 2 or 3 cars from other lane go, others let 1 go, others let 0 from other lane merge, so merging is not steady&smooth.
  • I think it's interesting to see that people that driver a porsche are voted the #2 most rude people. This infographic is kind of funny.
    edited August 2013
    Audi drivers highly polite? Britain must be in a different dimension.
    "Mountain air must be good for driving, as Allstate America's Best Drivers Report named Fort Collins, Colorado as "America's Safest Driving City," the third time in report history that this city has held the top spot.

Washington, D.C. ranks at the bottom of Allstate's list for the second year in a row.

Boise, Idaho, holds the number two spot, while Sioux Falls, South Dakota.; Brownsville, Texas and Madison, Wisconsin round out the top five."

Fort Collins, Colorado Named America's Safest Driving City

Hm, I've lived in two of the current top five cities and Ft. Collins has been on our maybe list for a while as a place to retire.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Not a bad place Ft. Collins. College town, lots of brew pubs, progressive/liberal city council, good outdoorsy stuff and too far away from rapacious Denver to be eaten by it (some 60 miles I think).

We're going to try to cruise through there on our way home next week. Going to be hard to beat the NM drivers though - don't remember them being this laid back, although we haven't spent much time in SF or ABQ.

BAH---It's easy to be a "good driver" when you have all that room. :)

If a car lets more than one car by on a zipper merge, the people behind them have a duty to honk at them until their ears bleed. OK, maybe not the ears bleed part, but they have a duty to let them know they have erred.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    "let them know they have erred. " Really. According to whom?

The driver allowing more than one car to merge in front of him determines how many may do so as he is in the position of command. You then will patiently wait for his decision to allow you to merge.
    I'll just go around, or call him in as a suspected drunk. Hope you weren't planning on getting home soon! ;)
  • I'll just go around, or call him in as a suspected drunk.

Just curious, how many calls have you made on "suspected drunks"?