Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    I looked at Z4 vs Z3 and I'm not sure what it was. Maybe color charts for certain years would show what it was based on a short time span they offered the reddish brown. Really pretty, but I would guess the car originally was purchased by a lady because of the color.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    BMW has had a few red/burgundy shades over the years that have been popular among that set. My cranberry red X5 was definitely a soccer mom car and color.

Speaking of iffy drivers, I am in Florida right now, and the place never disappoints. Haven't seen any wrecks or anything too insane, but the speeds on highways and obliviousness on suburban roads is amazing - it's like at home, but at 2x speed. One can be going 72 in a construction zone 60 and be passed by a steady stream, or set the cruise at 65 in a 55 and be the slowest car. Yesterday I spent some time on a 70 interstate, set the cruise at 75 as the gas guzzler I was driving would be too thirsty at anything more - and was slower than maybe 80% of the vehicles on the road, passing only semis and a few real slowpokes.
  • Sunday evening I was driving a 4-lane arterial in suburban Louisville (where there aren't many of those). This road was 2 lanes in each direction with a shared center left turn lane and a 45 mph SL.

I was in something of a knot of cars that didn't really get separated at a light, doing 50-52mph in the left lane. And no, I don't get too bent out of shape about lane discipline on a road like this.

A current-generation F-150 was practically in our trunk (I was driving the Jetta) and then cut off a car in the right lane as he moved over to get a whole half a car length in front of me. Eventually both lanes started moving faster ahead of me, and I did slip over to the right lane behind the F-150, still going just over 50 mph. I was a little surprised to actually see a signal from the F-150 as he moved to the left lane. The car in front of him was still "only" going 55, so he used the center left turn lane to pass.

Of course, about a mile and a half down the road, he managed to make a light that I didn't, but got stopped at the next one. I think he made his left to enter the Watterson about 2 seconds before I reached that intersection. Now that's some ROI (return on idiocy) right there.
    Back in the land of the slow, and the differences between the second world wild land of crazies and here are apparent. First is the aforementioned slow. Was on the highway earlier, and it was a plodding parade - even the far left lane was only going about the limit, and the right lanes were going well under - no volumes or incidents, just slowpokes. In FL, I saw many volume roads where the right lane carried traffic at 10-20 over with zero enforcement. Far fewer tailgaters here, but seems like just as many phone holders, so those primary enforcement laws are really making a difference vs FL where there are apparently no distracted driving laws (freedom!). The untouchable group of "traffic engineers" who does such a good job might do it better there, as light changes seem to let traffic clear better. Less aggressive lane changes here. Both places seem to have a diverse group of motorists, but different groups - maybe a little more fresh off the boat in the PNW,which creates a unique set of challenges. All in all, I am happy just to be able to drive without the AC always on :)
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Here I am this afternoon driving on a 2 lane U.S. numbered highway and approaching a crossroad where I want to make a left turn. Slow down, have my turn signal on and am waiting for a Dodge minivan on the U.S. highway coming toward me wanting to make her right turn on the crossroad. Stop there. Let it go first. A woman with a cell phone in her right hand driving very slowly to the intersection and then turning slowly at it through it with cell phone in right hand apparently steering the minivan through the turn with her left hand. I make my turn, of course without a cell phone, and follow her for a while with cell phone to her stupid head until she turns left on a side road.

How do we get these people legally to be banished from roads?
    I think many slow turners are phone yappers.

Speaking of that, it's another PNW thing - slow cornering. Some here nearly stop when making simple residential street turns, as if going 10-15 is too much.
  • In retrospect, I probably should have LLC'd...

On the Gene Snyder this morning, traffic was light to moderate and I was doing about 72mph. Lost a little bit up a hill, but didn't hold anybody up as I passed a semi, who had his hazards on but wasn't going that slowly. I cleared him before the crest, and passed some other slower traffic after cresting the hill. Once the right lane was clear, I moved right and settled in.

Down a long, gradual hill, the truck had picked up enough speed to pass me, and just before the bottom I moved left to pass a slower vehicle. Then came the climb, up to the Billtown Road exit and this truck was down to 58 mph by the time we crested it. He passed a couple other semis up the climb, but at a glacial pace.

When I passed him, I did open the sunroof so I could tell him he was #1. Next time, I think some pre-emptive LLCing might be in order.
    On foot this morning, crosswalk crowders were a typical driver of a box truck, and a little old lady in a Forester. I bet the latter could produce a nice insurance settlement if she erred.

Phone yappers were an older woman in an ES, and an older guy in an E-class - I know the latter has standard bluetooth, so there's no excuse - needs to be a harsh penalty.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    edited September 2013
    "there's an app for that".

dude, check the ifone store for the Valentine V1 app, even if you don't have a V1 with the bluetooth dongle - install the app just to check out the Tholian Web demo mode.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    edited September 2013
    eh. maybe LLCing would have been appropriate in this case...
    but you can be sure the witnessing bigrig drivers talked some particularly-annoying trucker-lingo over channel 17 at the rookie drivers expense,
    and all forgotten after they all got their next good driving view of a fantastic seatcover.

10-7
    edited September 2013
    First commute back in the first world today - man this place is slow. The highway near my hotel in FL was posted at 50, I could be going almost 70 and be passed, as local crime was so high that cops had real things to do. Not here, where going 5 over feels like unrestricted Autobahn.

On foot today, dealt with some negligently managed traffic controls (thanks, you brave and hardworking "engineers" who deserve fat pensions when you retire before real workers). Two notable phone yappers were women in a late model Lexus LS and one in a brand new GL63 -both of which have standard bluetooth. So far past time for wealth based fines - if success is based on logic and responsibility and intelligence, why is so little seen from a certain segment on the road?
    edited September 2013
    Today saw a guy have a close call in a crosswalk vs a Mercury Milan. Also had to wave my arms to get the attention of a spoiled airhead holding a phone in a G55 (seriously) who was sitting and not looking both ways at the crosswalk where I wanted to cross - I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. Probably 80% of the phone yappers today were women. Also saw a guy in an early 00s stock Civic coupe weaving and driving aggressively...due to local traffic controls, after a mile or two he had a whole car length on me, congrats!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    edited September 2013
    Maybe you should invest in one of those little fog horns for your walking/jogging adventures. One toot and the space cadets would jump the curb and run you down for sure.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Might not be wise to give me something I can throw at the local oblivious SUV brigade :)
    I'd recommend one of those blinding chrome mirror helmets you could aim at traffic, but you never get sunshine, so ....

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Exactly, sunshine? Even though it was nice today...just baked the little brains of the idiots.

Maybe I can just get a tiny camera and put it all on youtube, and list the license plates and cars.
    Just move - pedestrians have it easy in Orlando or Atlanta LOL.

I prefer what is still the first world, for now anyway.

Although I like the faster traffic flow on open roads in those places, it's like slow motion here.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    Listing the license plates, make, and model of the offending cars on the road that display poor driving is a great idea! Maybe have a ranking system from 1 to 10 for the severity of the roadway offense.

Get millions of users to provide millions of input data and you can aggregate and average the score of America's worst drivers.

Causing an accident would be worth 1,000,000 points.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 700
    You do realize that left lane campers would immediately use that idea to try and blacklist anyone in a car stuck behind them... that flashed their lights. Or who managed to pass them.

It'd be the very worst of drivers that would monopolize that system to penalize everyone that didn't kowtow to their incompetence.