Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I'm not familiar with this concept, "virtually ZERO", other than its usual meaning: "I have absolutely no idea what the real number is, so I'll say 'virtually'".

Everyone will be 60 someday... if they're lucky, and don't get killed by some maniac driving 100+ mph on a highway. ;) With age comes perspective and maturity and wisdom. Some societies understand that. Some don't.
  • Oh, sorry. What I meant was that a stack of anecdotes don't count as evidence any more than one anecdote does.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    Assuming the deer is brainless and will cross at a set speed regardless of what is on the road or in its way

You don't know deers. Or better yet you don't know deers during mating season.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• gene103gene103 Posts: 47
    Mr Shift, I have never seen a study that proves walking in front of moving train is hazardous to one's health, but the anecdotal evidence I have come across leads me to believe otherwise. Hope you are on the jury if I'm ever on trial :)
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    >>>>>My link is me. I've driven thousands of miles on the Autobahn. And you?>>>>>

Driven on the Autobahn? Big deal. Now, if one said they drive regularly after midnight on Friday and Saturday nights on expressways in Chicago and survived? THAT is and accomplishment.
    Driven on the Autobahn? Big deal. Now, if one said they drive regularly after midnight on Friday and Saturday nights on expressways in Chicago and survived? THAT is and accomplishment.

Now that I have done regularly.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• Ah, but anecdotes are hearsay. If there are witnesses, or documentation, then it isn't an anecdote. So you have to look at anecdotes as completely unproven stories. A court of law does not admit anecdotes as evidence and certainly science doesn't.

crude example: If 25 people swear they saw aliens climbing out of a space ship, and you don't have one of the laser blasters they left behind, you got nothin'.
    Uhh... wouldn't the 25 people who saw aliens climbing out of a spaceship be considered witnesses?

Now, if 25 people swore that someone else TOLD them they saw aliens climbing out of a spaceship... that's hearsay (anecdote).
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,914
    edited October 2013
    Not familiar? My condolences, I know hyperbole can be confusing. Like I said, there is zero evidence of what the link claims. Need I break it down even more? It's funny that someone who has absolutely no experience in a given area can say someone else has "no idea". Oh you...

For some, age also brings along diminished capacities, and selfish clueless egos which make such declines unthinkable. A huge amount are going to stumble into old age soon and not be able to admit it. If we think there's a problem on the roads now, in another decade it will be worse. I can see how combative some are going to be already. I can see it now, shaking their fists as other cars move by.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    edited October 2013
    Seems like you're getting into subjective validation now.

Kind of like how some GM/Ford/Chrysler (insert your favorite car brand here) owners do, lol.
    To be on topic, another great day for phone yappers, and only saw a couple slowpokes.

First the latter: came off an off-ramp behind a Fit that was moving OK, going the arbitrarily low yellow sign speed, but that's all I ask for here. But once we got onto the surface street (divided 40mph arterial with limited access), the slow set in. Suddenly there's a line of cars behind the Fit, and a taxi beside it, both going no faster than 5 under the limit, side by side. I thought a guy in a Civic was going to explode as he changed lanes back and forth before realizing we were stuck. I had to hit the horn as I got beside the Fit for my left turn lane and zoomed by at the limit.

Phone yappers: small woman in a Lexus LX sitting at a green light and then turning without signal, a guy in a delivery fan, and 2x high maintenance types in late model Range Rovers who were too lazy or inept to use bluetooth. No enforcement in the galaxy, of course.
    Anecdotes are short, interesting and or amusing stories. If they are first hand accounts they are not hearsay as hearsay is repeating what someone else said.

OK, so these were 25 Nobel laureates who saw aliens climb out of your spaceship. ;)
    I've noticed how some people get the selfish, clueless, combative egos, e.g. shaking their fists at every little act of inconsiderate driving, at a much younger age than 60. It seems unfair... but it happens. Rainy weather seems to bring on that unfortunate condition for some reason. Colder weather seems to hold it off. Needs more scientific study, to be sure.
    edited October 2013
    Dunno, I see that mostly with wise experienced drivers perpetually carrying on about the evils and dangers of speed. 1975 must have been a wonderful time of driving, slow and plodding everywhere.

That's one fun thing about my area, ordinary weather doesn't change the overall driving experience. Cloud, sun, light rain, etc - it's always a crawl. A heavy rain can create issues, and snow is armageddon, but that's not uncommon in many places.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    edited October 2013
    Doesn't matter what 25 Nobel laureates saw. They are not necessarily trained observers, nor do they have any evidence. The human brain is easily fooled---VERY easily fooled. This is how magicians make money.

"Anecdotal" in the scientific sense means "presented without evidence". Even the worst lawyer knows that eye witness testimony can easily be punched full of holes.

So yeah, unless you have a tail fin from that spaceship, or really good video that can withstand rigorous examination, you got nothin', no matter how many saw it.

When people say they witnessed a train wreck, they have to actually produce a train wreck.

Why do you think all those stories people tell about "why my car crashed" sound so lame? Because they "think" one thing is going on when in fact it might have been something entirely different.
    You are being very extreme on this, and not even in line with the definition you linked to.

If a scientist who is good enough to win a Nobel prize is not a trained observer, I don't know who is. If 25 of them say they saw exactly the same thing, I'd tend to think they saw what they saw.

But if one driver, with unknown credentials as an observer, said he saw something or other... THAT'S anecdotal to be sure!
    Mr. Shift, all I said was that there is anecdotal evidence. Are you saying there is no anecdotal evidence of people surviving these collisions? You don't have to accept it as fact. I didn't present it as fact either. I may not choose to accept the anecdotal evidence that you presented regarding aliens but I'm sure there is anecdotal evidence. I just lend more creedence to people surviving high speed collisions than people sighting aliens, although I do believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe and in some cases, much more intelligent than some forum posters :)
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    edited October 2013
    I only meant that unless you can verify the anecdote, it is not evidence of anything. A Nobel laureate can hallucinate as well as anyone, and there are numerous instances of mass hallucinations or massive mis-interpretations.

What happens is that people take an ACTUAL event, let's say "blue lights flashing in the sky, and an object making extreme maneuvers"

OKAY, a bunch of people saw that, and probably there was something in the sky.

The PROBLEM is that it isn't "aliens". You can't make that leap without evidence.

So, one person reporting blue lights, or 1000 people reporting blue lights, does not prove "aliens" or anything remotely like them.

For this reason, all these reports are "anecdotal".

If a person says they saw someone hit a wall at 100 mph, and walk away unscathed, I would have to see police reports, photos of the car, and a follow up as to the person's condition. Otherwise, it's just a tale told on a bar stool. I don't have to believe that "anecdote", or even 50 more such anecdotes or claims.
    edited October 2013
    Yes, I understand that. Where did I say that what I stated was an absolute? I used the term "anecdotal evidence". There's even a page dedicated to that term in wikapedia and of course, it says that the evidence can be unreliable. What did I do wrong? I never stated anything as fact, I used the appropriate term, which for some reason you have a problem with. I get it, I didn't provide verifiable facts, that's why I used the term "anecdotal evidence".