Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    Cool video. Add in those who have 4WD and think it makes them invincible. I wonder if as more drivers are more distracted than ever, if pileups will become more common, as lack of attention seems to be a factor too.

I was out on the highway a bit today. Volumes were fine, but there were several LLCs, usually guys in pickups - but one was a teenaged looking girl in a final run Tercel.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    ...so naturally, at 7 AM, there's a LUNATIC riding a bicycle along the road wearing black with no lights. They swerve to avoid some plowed snow (DUH) and fall.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Is that the same one that Ron posted? Pretty amazing that folks just kept on coming at all speeds, despite what must have been myriad brake lights ahead in the distance. I'm not sure what goes through people's minds in that sort of situation, but getting out of your car and standing in the roadway really, REALLY shouldn't be one of them.... :sick:

If only a dozen people were injured, I'd say a whole tassel of folks got off lucky.
  • Sorry if I reposted - may have missed it the first time, and that wouldn't be the first time.
    I was astounded at the speeds of the vehicles prior to the crash - if the road conditions were as they appeared.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    I'm not sure what goes through people's minds in that sort of situation, but getting out of your car and standing in the roadway really, REALLY shouldn't be one of them....

If it seems like the pileup is about to be on, I can see where getting out of the car might seem like a good idea, given the possibility of ending up trapped and on fire. But I agree that standing in the roadway or anywhere in very close proximity is a bad idea. Ideally, move the car clear... if nothing else, move myself clear if I can get out of the vehicle and get a decent distance from the roadway. Preferably with as many stopped vehicles as possible between me and the idiots-at-speed.
    I completely agree! Yeah, I didn't mean that I faulted those folks for getting out of the vehicles (esp those that were still in the road for whatever reason), but if you are just standing there in harm's way, it is much better to have a few tons of auto armoring you than being naked (relatively, not literally).

Paul, with that amount of traffic and the limited visibility, I have to agree. Overall insanity. The initiating impact was your typical winter time inconsideration: Some people maintaining way too much speed differential, others not saying in the right lane where they belong.

My mother, who drives a truck with her husband (team driving, they call it), was apparently about 10' shy of being in a major crash on I70 in... Indiana? I think she said. Some liability decided that their car, which apparently stalled out, would be best parked in the LEFT lane of the roadway without any lights on in the middle of the night. Another driver, with hazards on, stops on the right shoulder to assist the driver, so all the truckers coming down the road do what they're supposed to do.... move to the left lane! Truck #1.... BOOM! Stopped car is now dust, but truck is brutalized by it, loses steering, veers of the road down an embankment, trailer turns over across the road. Second truck clips the first trailer and also turns over. They were truck #3, and they stopped about 10' short of truck #2's trailer, which was across the highway and wedged against an overpass structural upright.

Yep, that could have been REAL ugly.
    7 AM, snow covered roads, bicycles.

Nuff said

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    edited December 2013
    Don't get surly on us Sneakers. :D

Lots of them in the college towns up here for the roads in the winter and the beach in the summer.

Back to back winners today! Getting off I-99 on an exit ramp to make a left at the light at the end of the ramp and go across the overpass that spans the road. The light is red, so I stop. A car coming from my left across the overpass has two options: go straight or make a left to go down the ramp to the highway. They choose Option 3 and try to make a RIGHT down the ramp that I'm sitting on. Thankfully, they stop before they plow me.

The light changes green and I make my left. It's at that point that two vehicles decide that being on the two-lane overpass is the ideal spot to stop in the middle of the road while a passenger moves from the front vehicle to the back.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

edited December 2013

Hahahah! Hey, at least it all came at you at once. I'm sure you were more alert during the second offense. :p

A few no lights drivers the past couple days, which still amuses me. What doesn't amuse me is the amount of SUV/CUV drivers, mostly women (sorry) holding a phone while "driving". The lack of enforcement for this and in crosswalks amuses me even less.

@xwesx said: Hahahah! Hey, at least it all came at you at once. I'm sure you were more alert during the second offense. :p

It IS getting a little old having to be on DEFCON 1 all of the time. But you can't let your guard down, not even for a second

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    edited December 2013

OMG. Learn to pass, people!

On 195 this morn, there was a white Camry camping in the left lane with a LONG line of cars stacked up behind him. I, as always, cruise in the right lane until overtaking another car(s). This Camry is hanging out maybe 20 yards behind me, but in the left. As I start approaching a slower moving truck, he THEN decides to catch up and SLOW DOWN right next to me.

I wasn't going to wait for him and the train he created to crawl by, so I goosed the right foot and pulled in front of him (not close, mind you), continuing to pull away as I passed the truck. I immediately moved back to the right and let off back to my previous cruising speed. This idiot then proceeds to catch up, pull past, finally move into the right lane but only about 15 feet in front of me, then BRAKE because he was getting off that very exit we were passing! I let him know my displeasure!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

@qbrozen said: OMG. Learn to pass, people!

On 195 this morn, there was a white Camry camping in the left lane with a LONG line of cars stacked up behind him. I, as always, cruise in the right lane until overtaking another car(s). This Camry is hanging out maybe 20 yards behind me, but in the left. As I start approaching a slower moving truck, he THEN decides to catch up and SLOW DOWN right next to me.

I wasn't going to wait for him and the train he created to crawl by, so I goosed the right foot and pulled in front of him (not close, mind you), continuing to pull away as I passed the truck. I immediately moved back to the right and let off back to my previous cruising speed. This idiot then proceeds to catch up, pull past, finally move into the right lane but only about 15 feet in front of me, then BRAKE because he was getting off that very exit we were passing! I let him know my displeasure!

You didn't order one beer did you? LOL

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Hahahahah, Q! You know you asked for that, right? After all, you were driving your 'stang! :p

I've never understood the obsession people seem to have with getting offended over being passed. If someone straight-up passes me and doesn't tippy-toe around the issue by riding my tail, creeping by me, or slowing down directly in front, I'm happy for them to have done so!

Today I got to lay on my horn when a likely new (and I don't mean teenaged) driver pulled out from a driveway directly in front of me as I approached at 35mph. Luckily I was able to swerve into the adjacent lane. I suspect she didn't even look, as she was probably watching the road from gap between the steering wheel and top of the dash. Otherwise, a mess here, light rain and hordes of slow timid "drivers".

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897

@xwesx said: Hahahahah, Q! You know you asked for that, right? After all, you were driving your 'stang! :p

I've never understood the obsession people seem to have with getting offended over being passed. If someone straight-up passes me and doesn't tippy-toe around the issue by riding my tail, creeping by me, or slowing down directly in front, I'm happy for them to have done so!

Yes, well, unfortunately, I can't seem to win in most of my cars. Get attitude for being in a bright blue mustang. Get no respect for being in a minivan. The leaf probably enrages people to think I'm turning my nose up at them. And I'm sure the Benz, although nearly 30 years old, gets dander in an uproar for having a 3-pointed star. The volvo may be the only stealthy unassuming and unprovoking car I have.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Drove a bit on 405/167/5 the past couple days. Christmas Eve featured many LLCs and speedtraps, especially on 167 which is well known for both. Christmas Day featured no speed traps, and some of the south sound local rednecks racing around in their smoke belching lifted trucks that in a logical world would require a license endorsement. Also had a Forester kind of camp beside me for what seemed like eons - it might move up or back a car length (I had criuse on), eventually it slowed down and dropped back.

I'm doing a 3-4 hour trip on Saturday morning. Wonder if I'll have any tales to tell?? :)

PFFlyer@Edmunds