Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    Aaahahaha!
  • String them up by their toes and force feed them prune juice!
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    Let them play matador.

You have to see a picture posted by whambam in Roadside Cafe.
    That thar just might be "worse than death"! Left lane campers beware...
  • Wilcox, pulling over to the side of the road when a funeral passes by is showing respect. Anytime there's a funeral I will pull over. Showing a little respect doesn't hurt anything.

-Rob
    example - giving the procession right of way at an intersection while turning, etc.

I have difficulty with the concept of coming to a dead stop on a busy thoroughfare though. I think it wastes time and can be dangerous. Back in the 1800's it might not have been...but in todays world with traffic the way it is, the safety risk is greater than ever.

There are over 280,000,000 people in the US. Everyone of them are going to die. It is a common occurance.
    What about those people that had their bodies cryogenically frozen ? They are going to be thawed out when there is a cure for their disease. They may not die for a centuries.
    Ha Ha Ha There is one born every minute.
    Ahahaha, I see what you are saying...

At least they are not the cause of any traffic foolishness!
  • It IS an act of respect to pull over for a funeral procession. I guess it all depends on how you were raised. Anyhooooo, here's another one for you.

Rush hour traffic, 4 lane, divided interstate. If the traffic is virutally bumper to bumper in both lanes, and cars in the left lane are passing cars in the right lane, WHY IN THE WORLD do some people think that they can play slot racer in & out of traffic thinking they're really getting to their destination any faster? The idiocy amazes me! And it never fails, they'll try to put a Suburban-sized vehicle in a VW Bug-sized space! WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING?

If someone wants around me, 9 times out of 10, I'll pull over. However, if pulling over requires me getting tied up in this traffic I'm passing, FORGET IT! These holier-than-thou's are just about to get on my last nerve.

in with the good, out with the bad.................in with the good, out with the bad.............

keith
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    1. Left lane drivers: MOVE RIGHT! I drive faster than the limit on highways when it is safe to do so (no snow, heavy rain). Some ^%$*@ always thinks he has a right to block me and others from driving faster than him in the left lane. Get your car in the middle/right lane and saty there if you're not passing the guy in the middle lane. Evenn if the highway is empty I always move right after making a pass. If someone wants to go 180 km/h let them do it. You're not there to police them.

2. No tail lights at nite: Just b/c you have DRLs (mandatory in Canada) it doesn't mean you actually have your light on!

3. Shoulder drivers: Again, where are the cops when you need them?

Dinu
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I think DRLs are fine, as long as the dashboard lights aren't always on. It certainly doesn't help remind drivers to turn on their lights if their dash lights are always on, and if their 'regular' lights don't come on automatically (taillights especially). I can't count how many times lately I've seen people driving around with only DRLs at night (worst offenders: GMs in general, but especially Caddies, Buicks and Saturns, Lexus RX300, and BMW X5).

Also, I want to beat people who typically don't use turn signals, especially at intersections with stop signs or other traffic. Many, many times I sit at a stop sign waiting for the other guy to take his turn crossing me, only to have him turn in a direction not in my path. Or conversely, me and oncoming driver are sitting at stop sign (he longer than me), I start to go straight, he begins unsignalled turn in front of me, then he acts like *I'M* being inconsiderate.
    That's not so much of a problemm in Toronto, but in Montreal, it's like they were told not to touch those turn signals! I;m not making this up. ARGH! Dinu
    I do live in Chicago (land of the 'chicago stop'). I can't stop being amazed at how damn stupid people are here; they either sit at them forever (with their lights on, waiting for people, with no hazards on, nor any idication that they *MEAN* to be sitting there), OR they completely 'roll' through them. Cousin of those people will ROLL halfway through, not realizing anyone else might be at the intersection, then sit in the middle of same intersection, realizing they were being inconsiderate. Then they sit there, waiting for the person who had the turn in the first place. The only problem is, original idiot is blocking the intersection, preventing the original driver's turn from being taken.

I want these people dead. I realize most of the morons who move here from (name the b-f town they were raised in) don't have stop signs any more (they all have lights at the Galleria), but we do. Grrrrrr. Done.
    What does b-f town mean ? What's a Galleria ?
    I understand that drivers who expect traffic lights are less likely to be aware of stop signs, but is it really that bad ? It sounds like more of an inconvenience.
    Now when some anal pore hanging in the left lane, cuts across 3 lanes of 70 MPH traffic on an Interstate because his exit magically appeared. That is life threatening.
  • I fail to see how this simple concept can be so confusing. I hate those people who stop under the sign and wait for traffic. Maybe they can't read, or the concept it just too complicated.
    How did they get to the sign "thru lane ahead" ? Cross country ?
    It is so simple, no sign is required.
    It is so simple, some people may think,"this is so simple, that a sign must mean something else that is more complicated. . I better check this out."
    That reminds me of the people who stop at the overhead flashing yellow, who are likely also the people who 'proceed with caution' through the flashing red!! Sadly, there are more and more people out here with licenses that never went through a driver's ed course.
  • oldharryoldharry Posts: 413
    andre,

I lost all interest in motor homes when about twenty years ago I was stuck in traffic on the interstate for two hours waiting to get by a motor home that had burned on the side of the road. We saw the black smoke ahead, for the first half hour of the wait. The frame rails, the engine and trans, and bare wheel rims were all that was left of it. I never learned the fate of the occupants.

Harry
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    Inch forward, stop, inch forward, stop... by the time the light turns green they're almost all the way into the intersection. I think to myself, at that point you might as well just run the sumb@tch.
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    who break the law and endanger others by excessive speeding while expecting the left lane campers driving at the speed limit to get out of their way. The LLC may be violating the rules, but the Speed Freak is no doubt breaking the law. The SF claims the LLC is enforcing and limiting the SF's speeding. SF are ticketed much more than LLC. And the SF has the chutzpah to claim the LLC is discourteous.
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    No, the LLCs are "no doubt breaking the law" as well.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    IF I breeze by you at 85 in the left lane while you are doing 65 in the right, I dont bother you, you don't bother me, and I pass by you with no drama whatsoever. LEt me go by and continue until some state trooper wants to put me in my place. That way you don't get stressed, I don't get stressed, and we both continue to be happy. IF you decide to move left and sit in the left lane just because you can even if you're not really passing, you cause traffic to back up behind you as people who actually use the left lane for passsing like they're supposed to end up having to conform to the whims of a retired insurance agent who probably has nowhere important to be most of the time.

Dont worry about what speeders do! Speed itself is not inherently dangerous on clear roads with good visibility. IF I pass you, the very existence of a speed differential between us does not somehow jeopardize your life. I can just picture you shaking your fist at all those young whipper snappers cause after all, nobody should be going faster than you! Speeding too quickly for traffic or road conditions is a whole different story.

OTherwise, the only time speeders become a danger or an irritant is when some jerk decides he wants to cruise at 5 below the limit in the left lane because it's the easiest way to continue his cell phone conversation without having to change lanes. Then some people get frustrated into trying all sorts of tricky maneuvers to get around these little globules of road fat.

The left lane is for passing, the right lane is for cruising. IF you are keeping pace with cars to the right or getting passed on the right you're in the wrong lane, and you have become more dangerous than a speeder because inevitably some speeders that would have passed right on by harmlessly are now pent up behind you getting more frustrated by the minute.

How's about this... everybody drive to the best of their ability without worrying about what other drivers are doing so long as it does not interfere with you. Everyone do their best to avoid disrupting the driving pattern around them unnecessarily. Also, a question kinley, which is one I ask anyone who advocates left lane blocking because I tend to find that Left LAne campers can never take their own medecine. What if you were doing 65 on the dot in the left lane then someone else decided they wanted to be in front of you doing 55, forcing you to slow by 10 mph? What if you were trapped in the left lane behind this person because all the lemmings on the road nowadays love to sit in someone's blind spot or right next to another car and cruise all day long? You wouldn't care since theyre obeying the limit right?
  • davv62davv62 Posts: 76
    I agree with you 100%.
  • robertrrobertr Posts: 125
    I agree with you, too.

I was doing 80 mph in the left lane on Friday when an SUV came up fast behind me. He was probably doing 100mph. You can bet I moved to the right lane as soon as I could and got out of his way so he could go by.

Incidently, 80 mph is a typical speed on expressways I75, I275, I94, I96 etc. around Detroit. The other day some woman in a Chevy Malibu tailgated me at 80 mph. She had about 3 kids in the car. Judging from their seating positions and the way they were moving around, they did not have seat belts on. All in all, pretty inconsiderate of her kids' safety.
  • What irritates me most is the reverse of the left-lane camper: people who drive 80 in the right lane and insist on riding 6" from my rear bumper instead of passing. I generally ride the right lane and hold around 60 mph because I may need to stop and grab a hubcap at any moment :-) But I often get stuck in front of these people who are going way too fast for the lane. I shouldn't have to merge left to allow an idiot to pass me on the right.

-Andrew L
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    about the LLC who is going as fast as the law allows? Neither the SF or the LLC is more correct than the other. Most folk around these parts are LLC because the other lanes have been beat up by the overloaded trucks going between Mexico and Canada. It is more necessary to be in the left lane than to speed above the limit. It appears the SF doesn't want to conform to the limit of speed for he can not honestly justify it so he whines about the LLC.
  • I think that we have had this conversation a million times. We've also posted about how this is illegal in virtually every state. I suppose its OK to pick and choose which laws one wishes to obey?

Even if, in fantasyland, everyone was going the exact speed limit, LLCs are still breaking the law. Furthermore, they are still disrupting the flow of traffic. I see it all the time.

A grossly inconsiderate driver enters the passing lane at, say, the speed limit. Which in and of itself is arbitraty. (Example: In Pennsylvania, driving in the passing lane is illegal, a 4-point ticket. Driving within 10% of the speed limit is not even considered probable cause to cite someone for speeding. Up to 19mph over the limit is a 2-point ticket, this shows that 84mph on the PA turnpike is less illegal than being an LLC. Also, some other states, such as Washington, place a higher fine on LLCing than exceeding the speed limit by less than 20mph).

That being said, what happens is a backup occurs. However, some people think that rolling traffic jams are safe. Most objective, reasonable and intelligent people realize that a smooth flow of traffic is safer than a rolling traffic jam, and also realize that it is the job of the State Police to enfor the laws. By the time you get 10+ cars back, traffic is NOT flowing at the limit, but at a speed well below. So now the approaching traffic from the rear has an even high speed differential than was there in the first place.

Ergo, driving like an inconsiderate fool is also unsafe.

Bill
  • ob11ob11 Posts: 28
    "Kinley" you need to take a pill. If you so obviously consider "speed freaks" to be dangerous and inconsiderate, then why would you want to punish them by keeping them behind you? They can kill you from behind. If you are watching their taillights vanishing down the road, you are safe and on your merry way. This is such an amazingly complex concept. How do you feel being behind someone taking thief sweet time at the grocery store or at the bank when you are in a hurry? Do you want those same emotions at 65 mph in a 3000 Lb. plus weapon 6" from your back bumper? Wake up!
    Not to say what others have said before me (and I agree with them fully), but you amaze me. Why do you CARE that I go faster than you? Why do you feel a NEED to stop me by parking your car in the left lane? Have your heard about the often-used term road rage?

Well for me at least I don't get upset if someone cuts me off too much (hey, everyone makes a mistake sometimes), but I get frustrated and feel a need to run them off the road if they're taking their sweet time in the left lane, not noticcing what's behind them - aka: inconsiderate drivers at best, likely ignorant, or just plain moronic at their worst.

Second point. If you stick to the left lane while even 5mph slower than left lane traffic, you cause all those left lane drivers to either:
    a) slow down
    b) touching their brakes to slow down

If "b" happens, then you get a... c'mon you know this word...think harder...YES traffic jam! All cars in that lane will either brake or switch lanes and brake to avoid the LLC, reducing overall traffic speed on all lanes, and resulting in a traffic jam. I've seen it form way too ofter on the 401 (major highway here in Toronto) just b/c some &^%$ head didn't look or didn't care to move over.

Dinu
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,592
    are the most inconsiderate of all!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation