Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• It is 'passive aggressive' if you purposely trigger other people's aggression without being outright aggressive yourself.

Or to give you an example, and I wonder why my brother comes to mind:

He used follow people in his car for no particular reason at all. (And he drove a rather obscure 'pimped out' VW Quantum.) He would derive pleasure from them freaking out or getting aggressive. That game sometimes lasted up to 45 minutes at times.

He remained completely calm and polite. It just pleased his sense of humor.
  • I am glad I dont have to share the roads with you Kinley.

There's enough dangerous drivers in Florida.

Yes, Brent it is legal to be a LLC ONLY WHEN AT THE SPEED LIMIT

Please show me where the law, the one that I linked to, says that. Please. I'd love to see it.

If I recall, it says "Traffic shall not travel in the left-hand lane unless passing slower moving traffic" NO metion of speed limits.

And, as I havementioned and illustrated, traffic does not always "flow" at the speed limit, and when an LLC going right at the speed limit blocks the traffic flow, traffic no longer ends up flowing even AT the speed limit. This you chose to ignore. You also chose to ignore state laws that I have quoted.

Is it then OK for me to drive drunk at the speed limit? Fail to signal? Fail to dim lights on an Interstate? (In a couple of states it is not technically illegal to drive down the road with your brights on). Is it all OK as long as you go the speed limit?

And your argument about Road Rage not being your fault is nearly as ridiculous. If you were to walk into my Synagogue and spewed anti-semetic remarks, and someone punched you for it, it would entirely be their fault? Is that what you are saying? That it is perfectly OK to provoke people deliberately?

Personally, I like to think that my actions do have causes associated with them, and I try and avoid those deliberate actions which will cause a dangerous or hostile situation.

I would LOVE it if you could provide a direct response. But I wont hold my breath.

Point is, we live in a democracy. Basically, to make this simple, majority rules. Show me ONE other person on edmunds who has EVER sided with your driving style. ONE.

I dont have a hard time getting back over to the right myself. I do, however, have a hard time driving in a manner which not only creates a dangerous situation, but is grossly inconsiderate.

Maybe its' a matter of the "Im more important than everyone else" syndrome?

Bill
  • If I am completing a pass.. I complete my pass. It happens all the time, Im running, say, 75 or so, and I go to pass a couple of trucks, and someonegoing, say, 80-85 comes along.

I just finish what I am doing and get over as soon as possible.. but Im not going to get jammed into a pack of slow traffic to do so. I get over as soon as it is clear.

If the traffic I am passing is at, say, 73 and I am at, say, 76 (i.e. I am barely passing them)... then I'll speed up a little bit to complete the pass.

Bill
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    Is it likely to get out of a speeding ticket if you're speeding while passing a line of slow-moving traffic, or trying to get out of a dangerous situation?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Bill: Once a SF in the eyes of "K", I agree with you completely on the pass and move right technique you explained in #94.

Ghulet: If the slow moving traffic was considerably slow, say 5mph under the limit, then it should at least lower the fine substantially. If it's a case of getting yourself out of danger (and if you can prove it) that should take care of it.

Dinu
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,902
    Here's one that annoyed me last night. I live in a condo, where you have to have a permit to park on the property. Otherwise, you either have to park out on the street, or risk getting towed. They're actually pretty lax about towing, but it'd be just my luck that I'd be the one to get busted!

Well, last night, I was driving my Grandma's LeSabre, which does not have a permit sticker on it. A friend of mine was over, and his Grand Marquis was parked out on the street. I parked the LeSabre in my own spot, and figured I'd take my friend's spot when he went home. Out on the street, there's a boat on a trailer parked immediately by the entrance to my parking lot. Great for making blind spots in the morning when I go to work. After that, there's enough room to get two big cars in, and then a small utility trailer is parked. The only hitch is there's a fire hydrant there, about 9-10 feet behind the boat, so you can legally only get one car in that spot between the boat and the trailer.

Being conscientious, my friend backed up until he was almost against that trailer, giving plenty of room between his car and the fire hydrant. Well, he goes to leave, only to find an Acura Legend coupe parked right in front of his car, less than a foot off the bumper, and also blocking the fire hydrant. This car belongs to a cop. See now, why people tend to despise the police? But now if that Acura was there before my friend, the driver would park it almost centered between the boat and the trailer, so that nobody could park in front of or in back of him. Isn't that courteous of him?

Well, my friend gets the Grand Marquis out, but getting the LeSabre, which is about 6" longer, in, was a bit more of a challenge. Once it was in, I was about 3" off the Acura's bumper. Good thing though, that there was just a utility trailer back there that I could move, and not another car, or we would've had to do the "Park by feel" routine. Although that could've been fun, in and of itself ;-) I was thinking about driving my '79 New Yorker tonite to give it a run, but if that Acura's still in the same spot, it might be annoying. As long as the LeSabre is, the NY'er is about 3" longer than that!

It still irritates me though...if you're going to block a fire hydrant anyway, why bother backing up right in front of someone's car, blocking them in?!
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    Yesterday I went to the store to get some milk. On the way there I came upon 2 vehicles stopped on the 2 lane street. They were visiting with one another. A car behind the van (on left side of road) waited patiently. I stopped behind the car in my lane for a moment.

I noticed that there was enough room in the middle of the road, inbetween the 2 inconsiderate parked vehicles on this thoroughfare. So I drove inbetween them. The lady in the van says "Yo sho do want to get that ca of yours banged up, don't yo?" I stopped inbetween both of them with my window down and appologized for butting into their conversation and laughed out loud! I would have said more...but I didn't want any spit on my car...or worse...

They continued their conversation as I passed and drove on down the road. Some people think that they own the road.
  • I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned rubberneckers. At least in Los Angeles (home of the most incompetent drivers on the planet), we're treated to several accidents on any given freeway, any given day (multiply by 10 on a rainy day). Even if it's a minor fender bender pulled over on the shoulder on the OTHER SIDE of the freeway, traffic will come to a dead stop as people look across to the other side to see what happened. AAHHHHH!

Or how about the loser who decides his car is more valuable than anyone else's and parks his car in 2 spots so that his doors don't get dinged.
    ...that's the only place I've ever been flicked off by a lady old enough to be my grandmother!
  • What's the deal with people when they see a cop on the side of the road? INSTANTLY, they slam on the brakes, & drop to at least 10mph UNDER the limit!!!

Sometimes I just don't understand...........

keith
  • The one thing that pisses me off (besides most of the previous posts) are people who are trying to merge onto the highway yet dont look until their on ramp lane is gone. Then they go to merge over and im there and they get pissed because they have to slow way down. Mind you, I dont intentionally do that to people, but I believe that if there are cars coming up or already in the left lane then it is inconsiderate for me to move over into their lane cutting them off, just to let the one person in this scenario who has the responsibility to merge safely, do just that. Now, if there is noone there or noone coming up quickly I certainly get over, but it just amazes me how many people dont even look to see if they can get over, dont use their signal, then get pissed when they cant get over. I also get annoyed with the people (like Kinley assuming he is in the right lane for a change) who are in the right lane and cut me off just so someone can merge in. They make me slow down or avoid them so someone can get on the expressway. People just need to use their signal and look back as soon as possible and judge their speed accordingly.

Another thing, doesnt it make sense that if you are stuck in the right lane and someone is trying to merge, that you should maintain your speed and not speed up or, espceciallly, slow down to allow them in. So many times I see drivers do this only to see the person trying to merge matching their speed trying to get over. End result, the cars are right next to each other and the on ramp lane is gone and noone can do anything. Let the person trying to merge make the move and everything is easier.

Ok, im done now but the above issues really anoy me. Maybe its just an Ohio thing.

Mike
  • A couple of years ago my wife and I were home for a funeral.
    We are driving back to her folk's house after the luncheon with my
    mother-in-law, a nephew, and a couple of sisters-in-law on a city
    street. Some guy is weaving in and out of traffic and when he got buy
    us cuts me off to the point I had to lay on the breaks. So I lay on the
    horn and let him know I am there. He flips me off as if it is my fault.
    There is nothing that pisses me off more than being cut off or
    something and having that person act as if it is my fault. Needless
    to say I had to bite my tongue, in front of my mother-in-law and
    nephew, but I had everyone of those four letter words I wanted to
    call the guy in my mind at the time.

If I accidently cut someone off I usually feel bad because I know how
    it is to be on the other end and will try to apologize if given the chance.
    And I know some things are going to be accidental and can't be
    helped, but for someone to flip me off after something they did, my
    blood just boils!
    A gesture that is, in itself, nothing. But it produces some astounding results! Kids in the third grade know about it. Aahahahaha..

Where did "it" come from?

Is there a law on the books concerning the "finger"? Anyone?

I bet the "finger" is used more out on the roads than anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/wimbledon00/news/2000/0708/624898.html
  • loncrayloncray Posts: 301
    Once, long ago, I was a pizza delivery guy. Now, I was a fast driver, but I tried not to be stupid. So when I was already 10 mph over the limit on a twisty, dark 2-lane country road and somebody decided to camp out on my butt, I used a tool of the pizza trade to slow him down. See, I had one of those 25-million candlepower portable spotlights for finding addresses, and it was a heck of a lot more aimable than a set of highbeams. One flick at the other guy's passenger windshield (didn't want him crashing) and he backed right off. Wish I had that thing today!
    FINGER MYTH DEMYSTIFIED!
    The Battle of Agincourt
    October 24, 1415 - According to internet folklore, the notorious middle finger apparently made its first appearance during the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. According to limitless e-mails and postings forwarded to Ooze, the French taunted English bowmen by threatening to cut off their middle fingers. According to these sources, the mighty English longbow, made from the yew tree, would have been impossible to draw without the aid of the strongest finger. When the English won the battle, they allegedly waved their middle fingers at the defeated French, taunting, “We can still pluck yew!” Some even believe that the words pluck yew transmogrified through the years into _____ ___ .
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,460
    I agree with you. Rubbernecking is a big problem here in NYC as well. And I agree that people who take up 2 spots when they park are inconsiderate. I always make it my business to wedge my car in next to theirs if possible.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Hmmmm, October 24th huh? I had forgotten when St Crispin's day was.

It kind of makes sense....The equivalent British gesture is kind of like the V for victory sign with the back of the hand facing the recipient of the gesture. Those would be the two fingers used to draw a bow string.

I guess it was pretty inconsiderate of me though, to snap this shot! I mean, this guy's having a bad enough day as it is!!

• what kind of 'tunes do you have there in the glove box???
  • that picture reminds me that I really miss those quarter windows that you cold open and adjust for air flow.
    ...to make that little lip along the lower edge of the dash, wasn't it? Great for stashing all sorts of junk that goes flying when you nail the gas pedal, brakes, turn too fast, crash, etc! I think it was originally intended to be crash padding...it runs the whole lower length of the dash. The Darts, Valiants, and Barracudas had in in '68, but not '67 or '69. I forget what those tapes are now...I've gotten so spoiled by the Intrepid's CD changer that I can't remember the last time I popped in a tape! Mainly classic rock volumes though...a couple compilations that one of the local stations put out, Jefferson Airplane. I think Lou Reed's in there too somewhere!
  • some simple ones:

People who are turning/chaning lanes and don't use signals. They deserve to get hit, plain and simple.

People who are turning right, but do not go as close to the curb as possible prior to turning, thus blocking the flow of traffic behind them.

People who hit a freeway on-ramp but do NOT accelerate for merging. If the speed limit is 65, it seems like a good idea that you should be doing at LEAST 65 by the time the ramp ends. This drives me extremely crazy when said offender is driving a late model SUV/luxury car that easily has the power to break 80 by the end of a ramp.

The people who swing into a lane on the freeway even though they see you're approaching in that lane going a good 10-30 mph faster than they are. How many times must I slam on my brakes because an inconsiderate nabob can't wait until I pass to move to the middle or fast lanes?

And why is it in the morning everybody does the same speed - even before thick rush hour starts? Once you weave through traffic and get to the edge of the pack you always find it's just a couple of dweebs doing 75 in the two fast lanes. Of course the open road only lasts half a mile before you must pull more Yoda school of driving to get past the next pack hindered by kin of the previous idiots.

Of course the big winners would certainly be all the wonderfully polite and thoughtful individuals who a) park in a handicapped spot without a placard/special plates or b) park in a normal spot with their wheels, often half the car over the disabled spot's cross-hatching. Can't forget the nice-guys who park in handicapped spots at say blockbuster with their hazzard lights flashing while they run into the store. Or you're parked illegally, but you did think to have your lights flash, so I guess no law was broken.

Once in awhile some people will also park with their wheels over the blue line of the handicapped spot. In those instances I love to back into the spot and get my outside passenger mirror to almost touch their mirror. I've emerged from stores before to find frustrated drivers sitting in their cars, furious that they cannot back out of the spot without damaging their own cars.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,460
    LOL...Hazard Lights!

I'd also like to add people who Double Park along Avenues in Manhattan. For instance, 2nd Avenue runs downtown. There are 6 lanes. The extreme left and right lanes are taken up by parked cars. People Double Park in the lanes next to the outside lanes (all it takes is one or two cars), leaving only 2 lanes of traffic to pass.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    We get these all around campus. As if parking isn't bad enough, some lazy bums can't be bothered to make sure their cars are parked in one spot and pointed straight before walking away.

The result? Plenty of times when I've had to cruise campus for 20-25 minutes to find a spot and then I see one and get excited because I think I can finally park my frickin car and go o my room. But then some jerk has decided his time is too valuable to straighten up and make sure he's not taking up some of the next spot over. So I have to leave what could have been a perfectly good spot and keep looking. The other night I got so irritated with somebody that I left a very nasty note on their windshield with all sorts of expletives that generally asked why they think they're special enough to deserve 2 parking spots when the rest of us are struggling to find just one. To those who normally don't pay attention to their parking jobs who drive on UMBC campus, you'd better start. I may start keying cars next.
  • At the top of my list of worsts are people who stop in a merge lane, waiting for all the traffic to pass.

Of course I'm sure I irritate a few drivers myself. I always find Civic parking spaces when there are no legal spaces available. Spaces at the end of a row with the diagonal lines through them, the first space or two past a row of meters, etc.
  • Somebody above mentioned using one of those aircraft flashlights to ward off tailgaters. My friend has one of those things plugged into the cigarette lighter in his '87 Cherokee. He refers to it as "the sun". Everyone who rides in his car regularly knows that when he says, "Cue the sun!" the passenger picks up that light and gives the tailgater a quick flash. Works every time :-)

-Andrew L
  • Let me see if I have this straight.

Somebody is tailgating you, so you blind them with an industrial strength flashlight. They're behind you, right?

You better pray that you don't have to slam on your brakes - remember - there's a blind driver behind you.

Heck, you better pray the blinded driver doesn't drive off of the road and die or run over some child. Because then you're going to be doing time for manslaughter or worse.

Use your flipping brain for something other than a hatrack will you.

John
  • beachfish-

Hey, it wasn't my idea. We all know crazy people like the friend I mentioned above. This guy also once followed another driver around for a good five minutes, holding his horn down the whole time. I'm not necessarily recommending that everyone try each piece of crazy behavior that happens to come up as part of a conversation. Awhile ago there was a thread called "craziest things you've done with a car" or something like that. If you think my friend and his light are bad, you should see some of the stuff people owned up to over there. Calm down.

-Andrew L
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Posts: 145
    I have just read the last 119 posts. If you REALLY want to experience inconsiderate driving come to Miami where the experts are!!! I encounter all of the above situations every day on the way to work. I believe AAA has just given Miami the award for having the rudest drivers in the country. Well deserved, I might add!!!
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    I heard hard stuff bout Florida.