Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    Perhaps what Kinley meant is that the left turner has to wait for the opposing car to go by before the turn is taken.

As far as I know, when all four directions are filled with cars, the traffic alternates between N/S, E/W, N/S, E/W, etc. When someone wants to turn left, they don't just turn left, they wait until they can, and the other two lanes cannot do anything until the intersection is pretty much cleared. This would seem to be the most efficient way for this to work.

Someone once told me that the traffic goes N, E, S, W, N, etc., that if, for example, E goes straight, the W wanting to go straight has to wait until after N is done. But this is a stupid and inefficient way to move traffic through the intersection.
  • Then you always have the right of way 8^)

It is much easier to merge, get through 4 way stops and such, if people think you might not have insurance 8^)

TB
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    OK, let's go through this again. Maybe somebody will understand: I'm at a stop sign, turning left. I yield to the driver going straight. Then, it's *MY TURN* to turn left, but the moron behind the first guy going straight across me decides to follow the first guy through the stop sign, and acts like *I'm* the @$$hole cutting *Him* off. Uh, no.

If I'm to believe Kinley (who by his own admission is a chronic LLC), then I should sit at the stop sign all day, waiting for all persons travelling straight to procede. I, as the unfortunate driver so inconsiderate as to want to make a left turn, must wait forever.
  • Where are you located? I work in Manchester and live in in Mansfield.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Please refrain from goading the logic-impaired...
  • I live in Vernon, goto college @ Storrs and work in NY on weekends
    Don't worry, we understand.

In your scenario, you are right to be pissed off at the guy who follows the first -- assuming that both you and the first guy drove forward into the intersection at the same time, you going slower of course since you are waiting for the first guy to pass you. Then you complete your turn, unhindered by the second guy.

However, if you aren't in the middle of the intersection when the first guy drives out of it (and your post didn't specifically state whether or not this was the case), then the second guy has every reason in the world to believe that you, acting passive, will sit there all day, so he moves forward. Of course, as you pointed out, if he never actually stopped at the stop sign, he would be wrong to continue into the intersection no matter what you were doing.

Kinley may have been misinterpreting the scenario you described, but nothing he said implied that anyone should sit at a four-way stop all day long.
  • Sorry.. cant help it sometimes :)
    ....this isn't worth it. Re-read Kinley's post #143 and the replying post #146 and tell me what you think they meant.

I was half way through my left turn when the woman in the car almost t-boned me. It was my turn, I waited through the last guy while stopped. My point was (and is being reaffirmed with every post I read), most people don't even know who has the right of way. As long as they've come to a stop, according to them, it's their turn.
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    Rotation does apply at a 4 way stop and it begins by yielding to the person on the right. If both North and South are going straight, they can both go at the same time, but the left turner is to yield to the oncoming traffic, all day if necessary. Brentwood, stay in therapy.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs17thru20.htm#othervehicles

If you scroll down a bit, it talks about LLC being illegal as well.
    Kinley: Whether or not it was a four-way stop intersection, it is clear there was a stop sign for the opposing traffic as well. Your comment, "the left turner is to yield to the oncoming traffic, all day if necessary," in the context of the described situation proves beyond doubt that you have no idea how things are supposed to work on the road.

ghulet: Assuming your comment was directed at me, what do I supposedly not know about who has the right of way?
  • 4-way stop instructions are fairly straight-forward.

Junctions with a stop sign and a sign saying 4 WAY (or 3 WAY or ALL WAY) require all traffic to come to a complete stop when reaching the intersection. Vehicles then take turns to proceed through the junction in the order in which they reached the intersection. If 2 or more cars reach the intersection at the same time the one to your right goes first. If 2 cars reach the intersection at the same time from opposite directions both may proceed at the *same time unless one is turning left. The car turning left waits on the car not turning.

*It's sometimes better to wait that extra second just in case a turn signal is not working.
    Can the car wanting to turn left legally enter the intersection at the same time the opposing car does, waiting until the opposing car clears at least half of the intersection before completing its left turn?
  • OK, I'll jump in here. From what I gather after reading ghulet's post, this is not a four-way or all-way stop that we're dealing with here. It's a four-way intersection where one road is a thru road with no stop signs, and the cross street has a stop sign on either side.

Thus, ghulet comes up to one of these stop signs. He stops, signals left, waits for the thru road to clear. There is also a line of cars waiting at the other stop sign opposite him. The front car over there wants to go straight across. When the thru road clears, ghulet waits and lets that guy go straight.

Then the next car in line on the other side ALSO wants to go straight. The thru road is still clear. The question here is, can ghulet make his left because he let one guy go from the other side? Or can all the "straight" cars coming from the other side go first, because he's turning left? I don't know the answer to this question, but at least I know the question :-)

-Andrew L
  • Oh, and now for some additional stop sign madness. Where I live in NJ, there is a 2-lane 40 mph road that I often drive on. At one point, a smaller road meets it in a T-intersection. The smaller road has a stop sign, the larger one has none. So I was driving down the larger road one day, a good distance from the intersection. A guy in a Buick Century pulls out of the smaller street and turns left in front of me. This was OK, as he had just enough time to make it across. However, some buffoon in a 15-passenger Ford E350 decides that if the Century can turn left, he can just go ahead and do so too, without bothering to look and see if the thru road is still clear. So he pulls out right in front of me, realizes his mistake and - get ready for this - stops. So now I'm going 40 mph and there's a big piece of Econoline blocking my lane. Fortunately I was able to bring my car to a halt in an entertaining (for those not inside my car) Dukes of Hazzard style skid/spin. They've since replaced that stop sign with a traffic light :-)

-Andrew L
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    I re-read ghulet's post, and he never mentioned that he was at a 4-way stop sign when he described the situation he was in. Kinley's remark wasn't about 4-way stop signs, he thought gulet was talking about a 2-way stop sign, as did I.

Ok, back to the stop sign debate.
  • davv62davv62 Posts: 76
    I live down on the coast in Fairfield. This part of the state has terrible traffic problems, and I take the train to work in NY. But I go up to Vermont or New Hampshire a couple of times a year, and sometimes I fly out of Bradley International, so I sometimes have occasion to drive up I-91 or I-84. Otherwise I drive on the Merritt Parkway, the Wilbur Cross Parkway or I-95. I-95 is great driving as long as it's about 6 o'clock on a Saturday morning.

Isn't Mansfield where UConn is? Do you ever to get take in some basketball games?

-Dave
    ghulet was right to make his left, and the moron who tried to T-bone him was wrong.
    My comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. I do find it strange that it isn't crystal clear to everyone that drivers must wait their turn at a four-way stop sign (which is what I was referring to originally, in post #140). That is, even if I'm turning left in front of someone going straight, if I stopped first, it is in fact my turn. The only time I would have to yield is if the driver going straight arrived before or at the same time as me (turning left). If I arrived first, it's my turn. Simple.
  • ghulet-

Oh, ok. You were talking about a four-way stop then. I hadn't realized that was what you meant. For the record, before I came to PA for college, I had never seen a four-way stop. Where I'm from in northern NJ, they're all either stop signs going only in certain directions, or traffic lights.

-Andrew L
    I have more trouble with overly-passive people than overly aggressive people at four-way stops. You know, the kind of timid sheep that are too frightened to be assertive at all. I even have to wave people through.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    You are correct in your interpretation of 4 way stop sign protocol.
    Kinley's concept of a left turning driver "waiting all day if necessary " is repugnant to reason.
    Actually happens when there *isn't* a Stop sign.
    Any intersection so congested that one would have to wait all day to make a left turn would have a stop light if not a 4 way stop sign. If you ever noticed, some intersections maintain the stop signs after the light has been installed.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    After waiting half a day, many will adopt the attitude of pulling into the lane, blocking it, justifying their move by NOT making eye contact with any other driver. It seems that if they don't establish eye contact, then they really aren't in the middle of the intersection blocking a lane.
  • No, tickets to UCONN games are pretty hard to come by. The games do cause traffic problems though, sometimes there is a line on I84 to get off at exit 68.

the roads leading to UCONN are all secondary roads and 195, 44 & 6 get jammed up whenever there's a game or when the students return from vacations.
    The worst city to drive in is Boston. Their rules are very simple. 1) drive like you are the only car on the road; 2) never make eye contact.
  • I learned that avoiding eye contact is rule #1. Without eye contact, the other driver cannot be sure that you have seen him/her and is less likely to risk a bullish maneuver (otherwise known as normal driving in that locale). Once eye contact is made, the encounter is lost.
    The people who design the roads in NJ are extremely cynical. We have circles that are literally suicidal to drive through, 2 lanes that merge into 1 with only 10 or 20 feet to go, etc.

As for streets being so busy that it would need a stop sign or a traffic, they have center lanes! Imagine trying to make a left when there are TWO lanes coming at you at speeds of 50 mph and up.