Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,796
    Nope, I haven't. I am tempted all the time, mostly for surface street stuff though, like the Windstall I was stuck behind yesterday.

The revenue enforcement cartel only wants to enforce speed, and sometimes DUI when there is enough pressure (usually a holiday weekend). Nothing else. Who do you know who has ever received a ticket for LLCing, not using a signal, phone yapping, etc? I know nobody, myself. And the suggestion below that flashing lights would create an aggressive driving ticket is funny. I'd fight that one in court, even if it cost me twice the ticket to have it overturned. Cops who give tickets like that should lose their jobs and pensions. And the judges who side with them should receive some late 18th century French justice - or at least lose their bloated salaries and undeserved pensions too.

Speaking of the latter inconsiderate, was out this morning, saw a Cayenne going really slow, like 10-15 in a 30. I then examined the driver - holding a phone and talking. These things should have bluetooth, right?
    Come to western WA in the snow. Nobody bothers to clear their windows either, not to mention gaining any ability to drive in it. It's amusing seeing the brave adventurous SUV set needing to be towed, anyway.
  • I've seen the flashing/aggessive stop happen right before my very eyes. It has to go part & parcel with another infraction, by definition:

"The commission of two or more moving violations that is likely to endanger other persons or property, or any single intentional violation that requires a defensive reaction of another driver."

I might have missed witnessing all of what prompted the stop, but the jack*** was flashing headlights along the way as well. Speaks to intent, if nothing else.
    Flashing lights endangers other drivers? Maybe this one comes from cops who don't want oncoming traffic warned of speedtraps (the first rule of quotas - there are no quotas).

I flashed my lights at the weirdo in the van yesterday, I also do it before I honk if someone is dawdling at a light.
  • Lights-a-flashing in the context of tailgating a LLC is different than the reminder for the oncoming guy to turn his on, or the friendly flash at a 4-way stop inviting the other guy to proceed.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Getting to the season where people forget to do that, then they hit a bump and snow flies off in big chunks.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    Flashing lights to pass around here is aggressive driving, and that's an expensive ticket. (More than the LLC ticket for sure).

but how many times must you flash your lights for it to be considered aggressive vs. just communicating? I would think it's at least 4 flashes. After all, you are being considerate to the unaware sleepy driver who was I'm sure "forgetting" that they were camping in the left lane. The first couple flashes are highly considerate.
    While coming home from dinner, a Honda Civic(?) that was 4-5 cars ahead of us took the turn onto my street a little fast and slid into the side of the parked Explorer (left side to left side).

The Civic was a moving object, the Explorer was inanimate, hence, the Civic is 1,000% to blame, unless they can show the Explorer was in the "lane" of travel somehow, but even then, still 100% to blame as the parked car was clearly visible.

I bet the Civic's slide was caused by several things other than speed:

1) bad tires
    2) worn out tires
    3) wrong tires for conditions
    4) bad driver skills
    Lights-a-flashing in the context of tailgating a LLC is different than the reminder for the oncoming guy to turn his on,

Ah.. I see now you took my comment out of context.

My advise was to provide a courtesy flash to the vehicle you are approaching in front of you from far away, so as to give them plenty of time to wake up, change lanes, and move over to the right so as to prevent any tailgating.
  • Not to be confused with the 200 flash episode you admitted to awhile back, of course.
    That was a rental car, outside of my home State, and to a particularly egregious offender of the law.
    Is there a limit, like how many flashes can be used before some arbitrary "aggressive" figure is reached? I don't expect most revenue officers to look at context.
  • The Honda's tires were fine, he was going too fast.

I walked back to the scene and talked with the cop that responded. The Honda got the ticket. The Honda also had the most damage, scraping the entire left side as it slid past the Explorer.

Technically the Explorer broke no law, but it's still a "pretty stupid place to park." The correct answer to today's quiz is #3.

So who was inconsiderate?
    1) Honda
    2) Explorer
    3) Both were inconsiderate
    4) Neither, it was just an accident
    5) People shouldn't live in Michigan
  • The where and the wheels are irrelevant. It's the who and the what that speak volumes, and now (again) come the justifications.
    Justifications are valid, as the flashing stops once you get out of the way.

Simple, 2 plus 2 = 4.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Why not just flash your lights well ahead of time so that they have time to terminate their LLCing ways, and move right before you have to brake to ruin your fuel economy?

You must have a special high-beam control on your car, which controls the accelerator and steering wheel of the car in front of you. Alas, the rental car I was driving on I-10 didn't have that feature.

There's also the little problem of knowing who the LLCer is. Is it the car directly ahead of me? In most cases last week, it wasn't. They were the victim of an LLCer ahead of them. So should I flash my lights at someone just because they are stuck behind an LLCer? I don't think that's very considerate.

When the speed limit is 75 and the LLCer is going ~60, it's pretty hard to not slow down for them, or the vehicles stacked up behind them.
    So should I flash my lights at someone just because they are stuck behind an LLCer? I don't think that's very considerate.

They may be the victim of the LLCer in front of them, but a quick flash will tell them to flash the car ahead of them and on and on. It's a signal.
    edited January 2013
    A really obnoxious "signal", IMO, to someone who's as stuck behind an LLCer as I am. I'll wager most drivers do not consider having high beams flashed at them to be a friendly gesture.

Someday if you're unlucky you'll run into someone who's packing (as many drivers in TX do, btw) and doesn't look kindly on having lights flashed at them... especially dozens of times as you have been known to do... and especially if they are guilty of nothing more than being stuck behind an LLCer. I've heard of guns being fired for much less provocation. There's a lot of crazy people out there... for example (note, in CA):

http://www.fugitive.com/2012/03/19/san-mateo-driver-flashes-gun-in-road-rage-ove- r-high-beams/
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    edited January 2013
    I had to take my car in for some minor exterior work (ie: the metal piping at the bottom of one of my side windows fell off and needed to be reattached)...

...and so, afterwards, I took a drive out in the Appalachian mountains of western Maryland. Had some decent fun out by Camp David/Catoctin National Park.

It would have been more fun, but for two very slow drivers on the road. One was understandable, as it was an old pickup... and the road was a very twisty mountain road. But the other was a Subaru WRX STi, which I ended up eventually passing, in a 2012 Ford Focus (new model style).

Think about that. I passed a WRX STi. In a Focus... WRX STi's are *MADE* to carve up the mountain roads (and to rally race, too). He was going 30mph, which was slower than the posted limit of 35mph. (I tend to drive SR77 at around 50mph, which... for the most part, isn't pushing the limits, but is just around 70% of the limits of my car.)

Of course, on the way out and back on I-70, I had about 6 instances of LLCers driving significantly slower than the posted 65mph speed limit (ie: 50 or slower). Fortunately, the road was pretty empty, so it really didn't matter to me, as I was in the slow lane just going the speed limit; which meant I flew past the LLCers like they were standing still. But honestly, who in their right mind drives that slowly in the passing lane?!?

And I saw that twice on MD-32, and once more on MD-175. In fact, the one on MD-175 was merging from I-95 and ended up driving at 20mph in the passing lane. (And then turned into the wrong side of traffic when he/she/it tried to turn off onto a side street.)

Also today, I saw a blue Chrysler minivan that thought it'd be an absolutely brilliant idea to simply stop in the middle of a street so the driver could answer a phone call. And what was more amazing was that the cars in between myself and the minivan... let the driver do it. After I get up to the stoppage (3 back), I lay on the horn... and the minivan takes off like a bat outta hell.

So why the @#%$ did all the other drivers just let the @ss do such a stupid thing?

I'm really fed up with how there are so many sheep on the road today. Drivers that just do what the car in front of them are doing, with no other thought in their head. If the road is blocked by an @ss of a driver stopped for a phone call, *HONK*!!!! Don't just sit there at their beck and call!

---

Still, this *WAS* a halfway decent day of driving around here. I mean, I was actually moving on the roads!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,251
    edited January 2013
    >I'll wager most drivers do not consider having high beams flashed at them to be a friendly gesture.

Recalling some other posters sayings here:

As I've said before, people need to learn to share the road rather than trying to make it a testosterone contest like some couch potatoes like to do about football played on a field by people in good physical shape--the couch potato being just that.

If you read between the lines, in many cases described here, the LLD is attempting to dominate someone else and to control how they do things. I believe one person said that you have a switch in your car that controls the steering and gas pedal of the car ahead of you. Domination. Testosterone.

I recall someone saying that people "must keep right" as slower traffic. Control. War. Football.

Why not just enjoy the drive rather than worry about the roadability of the car ahead of you on a winding road--it pro babably will be healthier for your heart and arteries. Just because the car can supposedly do curves at a higher speed than a Corvette, perhaps the driver chooses not to drive like a combatant in a speed war. Just because a car can go 120 on an expressway does not mandate the car being driven thus at all times.

Again, what is the problem with sharing the road and being courteous. Violating several laws while pointing out that someone is inconveniencing you because they are not driving as fast as you think they should drive or where you think they should drive seems to point more to the LLD than the person they are criticizing.
    I was the person who jokingly said that my car doesn't have a feature where flashing the high beams controls the accelerator and steering wheel of the car in front of them, i.e., just because you flash your high beams at someone, doesn't mean they'll move over.

I also have advocated that slower traffic needs to stay in the right lane. I don't see that as being a "controlling" thought at all. It's just common courtesy.

Sharing the road with courtesy is what it's all about. But there are many drivers out there for whom that is a foreign concept. And the discourtesy takes many forms... from tailgating to flashing high beams more than just once per car to LLCing to trying to ram another car vs. letting them merge etc. It's this discourtesy that makes it difficult to "just enjoy the drive" much of the time. Although overreaction to minor discourtesies can also make driving more stressful than it needs to be.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Darn. I picked #5, and I'm still pretty sure I'm right.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,251
    >my car doesn't have a feature

I read it wrong. Sorry.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,629
    I assume that a lot of those real slow driving LLCs are just afraid to be on the road, and stay to the left so they don't have to interact with on/off ramps. Or ever change lanes, which can be terrifying for some people.

of course, these people should not be driving in the first place, and at minimum staying or local streets!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

edited January 2013
    Why does "sharing the road" always mean submitting to the slow and timid? Why can't the slow and timid "share the road" and keep right? Slower traffic keeps right, why is this such a problem? How can I drive in Europe for weeks and see virtually no real LLCs, then come home and see one in the first 10 minutes on the highway?

Way too much credential free pseudo-psychology there, too. No need to analyze the mentality of it, use that energy to simply hit the signal, move over, and if one must, move back when the faster car has passed.

Crying about a law while violating the law ones' self makes one no better than the speed demon they won't yield to - when the law says they MUST. Share the road and obey the law, yourself. Practice what you preach.
    edited January 2013
    I'd wager simply being scared is behind a lot of it. Around here, I see people brake for lane changes on wide open smooth flat empty interstates - because that change of direction indeed concerns the driver. Maybe there needs to be a license endorsement for interstate driving.

Probably the same people who slow to <5mph while turning.
    Of course, a slowpoke who is easily offended and packing heat can easily come up against a speeder who is also packing heat. Would you roll those dice? Especially in a place like Texas. Although I will say it is pretty stupid to flash a car if it is not the offender.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    edited January 2013
    Yep.

I'd say that's a fair assessment.
    Of course, a slowpoke who is easily offended and packing heat can easily come up against a speeder who is also packing heat.

Yep. Just one more reason to drive courteously... it might save your life (in more ways than one).
  • "Justification" of an inconsiderate act does not make it any less inconsiderate.
    One (aka the LLC) does NOT have to beget another (aka the lights).
    It's up to you. Drive like a jerk or not.