Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• Flashing lights to pass isn't aggressive driving anywhere. It's merely alerting the driver ahead that a faster car is approaching.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,259
    >Flashing lights to pass isn't aggressive driving anywhere.

I don't think so.

It's aggressive driving.

If someone has time to flash their lights 200 times as mentioned, they have time to change lanes and pass. It's like someone honking their horn in a parking lot to let the other driver know they're on a collision course: just hit your own brakes and avoid the accident instead of honking for the other driver to take the preventative action.

>Flashing lights to pass isn't aggressive driving anywhere.

I recall years back when I-75 through Kentucky was primarily 2 lanes. At vacation time around holidays, people would expect to fly up the interstate in a high density of cars and expect the left lane to clear in front of them. Ain't gonna happen. The worst offenders were BMW drivers and folks from Canada using their bright lights to try to "make" everyone else get out of their lane. This is with traffic in the left lane typically going 65-70 in a 65 zone.

Just a little courtesy goes a long ways. If traffic moving in the left lane near the speed limit or above doesn't suit you, maybe you need to take the other roads to your destination or fly for distance travel.
  • I was talking about a quick flash to alert the driver ahead, not 200 flashes, or trying to clear the entire left lane in heavy traffic. Unfortunately, many will take the flash as a challenge, or a personal affront and try to impede you even more.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,806
    edited January 2013
    Then why do cars have horns or lights with the ability to be flashed, at all? Sometimes the horn or lights are the only ways to wake up the inconsiderate. Flashing lights 200 times is indeed insane, but a flash to wake someone up, or a honk to do likewise or let someone know that they made a mistake, are not evil ideals.

Here's some psychobabble too. I notice most LLCs are henpecked middle aged and older men. I don't see many younger men doing it, and I don't see many women doing it. Maybe they don't have control of much in their lives, so they try to get some on the road, by violating the law and obstructing faster traffic? Makes sense to me.

Courtesy is a two way street. If the already underposted limits are too much for some to handle, they need to get their butts off the faster highways and stick to secondary roads. Slow traffic keep right. The limit is irrelevant - if you are going 63 in the left lane of a 65, with nobody beside you, and someone comes up at 70, move over and let them go past. Easy. Considerate. Courteous.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    If you're in the left lane and a faster car is approaching, and there is nobody alongside you or immediately ahead of you, move over and let them by. Then get back in the lane.

Strongly agree. And, one should be well aware (mirrors) that someone faster is approaching in left lane and "plan" ahead of time to move over to right lane and don't hold them up. Just common courtesy on the road.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,508
    Hahaha. Nice! :P
    >e's some psychobabble too.

Sounds like you labeled it.

>Courtesy is a two way street. If the already underposted limits

Have to agree about the driving courtesy. I've watched the LLDs battle for superiority on the battlefield they deem the highways to be. How about some of your psychobabble about what's going on in their heads when someone going 65 in a 65 zone on a two-lane interstate with traffic in both lanes is someone with whom they want to do battle? No football game on to watch and sublimate their need gratification?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,806
    My psycho is no more babble than yours ;)

I don't get very upset if someone comes up behind me and wants to pass, even if I am speeding and in the left lane, even if they get too close. I just move over when I can, and let them by - any conflict stops when he moves by, and I continue on my way. Changing lanes doesn't scare me, nor hurt me. If only others could do the same.

If someone is going 65 in a 65 and can't move over, then they aren't at fault. But if they can move over, they need to do so asap.

Why do some want to control others by holding up speeders? Failed dreams of being a LEO? All control in real life surrendered to others? Funny how this babbly analysis goes both ways, just as courtesy should go both ways.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    I've heard of guns being fired for much less provocation. There's a lot of crazy people out there... for example (note, in CA):

First, I can only recall one incident where my lights got flashed more than 3 or 4 times.

Most people are not crazy, I'm not going to let a few bad apples in the population scare me out of doing the right thing for the many, just to compensate for the few.

Also, if you draw on me, prepare to be run over immediately, while you really have no good shot at a driver that's ducking....

Experience has taught me to never be caught at a dead stop next to a road rager anyway, the driver should have never stopped right behind the lunatic. I want to get away as far and as fast as possible from those road ragers, and flashing my lights is an attempt to do just that.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Also, if you draw on me, prepare to be run over immediately, while you really have no good shot at a driver that's ducking....

So let me get this straight... your plan is to drive towards the person with the gun... while you are ducking out of sight (meaning cannot see where you're going). Also you seem to think that bullets can't penetrate the firewall and dashboard of the car, to hit someone ducking behind them.

Seems like a great plan to me! Flash away! :)

p.s. Most people in my town are decent, law-abiding citizens who wouldn't think of entering my home and stealing my belongings, and maybe doing worse. But I lock the doors of my house anyway. Silly me.
    It's aggressive driving.

Flashing lights is NOT aggressive driving, it is merely a courteous signal that you have failed to drive in a manner that isn't impeding traffic, a friendly reminder; fail to notice it, and you might get 2 or 3 slightly less friendly flashes, fail to notice that, and it'll get less friendlier still.

If someone has time to flash their lights 200 times as mentioned,

I'd be willing to wager the farm that 99.9% of people who are flashed are flashed less than 5 times the first time it happens. Therefore, the 200 argument is pointless.

Secondly, there was no time to change lanes and pass. The offending car decided to purposely drive at the exact same speed as the truck to it's right (on a 2 lane freeway). When that behavior was noticed, the next 195 of those 200 flashes ensued. Short of using the shoulder, had no option other than to continue flashing, tailgate, pit maneuver, shoot a weapon (wasn't packing though).

Finally, it was the truck on the right getting collateral light that slowed down and let me pass on the right in front of them (don't know why they couldn't just speed up though).

It's like someone honking their horn in a parking lot to let the other driver know they're on a collision course: just hit your own brakes and avoid the accident instead of honking for the other driver to take the preventative action.

In those situations, it could often be advisable to do both, honk and brake, as the collision course can still be completed despite your braking if they remain oblivious. Other times, you honk and speed up so as to avoid the impending collision, speed up to avoid, honk to let them know they made a mistake.
    edited January 2013
    So let me get this straight... your plan is to drive towards the person with the gun... while you are ducking out of sight (meaning cannot see where you're going).

Well, depends on my current speed and range. But there are ways to duck that still allow you to see; your generally not dealing with an ace shooter I bet. A car is much bigger than a bullet, way easier to hit a body with.

Yes, a bullet can penetrate certain things, but chances are you'll miss. Do you really want a handgun vs. a car in an open field?
    Although I will say it is pretty stupid to flash a car if it is not the offender.

I don't like to flash a non-offending vehicle, and pretty much never do. However, if after taking a minute of being slowed down and impeded, I will observe and assess the situation over that time frame, and if the LLC remains, with the enabler enabling them egregiously remains behind them doing nothing, I might find fault with the overly passive enabler for not enforcing the law of the land with some courteous signals (like a flash or two).

In that instance, I think a reminder that the guy in front of you needs to be flashed too is in order. I'm not talking about doing this after 5 or 15 seconds, but more like a minute of enabling.

I
    while pointing out that someone is inconveniencing you because they are not driving as fast as you think they should drive or where you think they should drive seems to point more to the LLD than the person they are criticizing.

I generally don't criticize the driver's speed so much, as I focus more on their lack of lane courtesy, lane adherence, and traffic impedance.

They can drive slow all day every day if they want, but they should remain to the right. I don't need them to drive faster, I need them to get out of the way more timely.
    Strongly agree. And, one should be well aware (mirrors) that someone faster is approaching in left lane and "plan" ahead of time to move over to right lane and don't hold them up. Just common courtesy on the road.

Here Here, I strongly second that and agree as well.

I've never purchased a car in "invisible" paint, so I don't know why I ever have to flash my lights to remind someone to WAKE UP while driving.
    Someone failing to yield to faster traffic in the left/passing lane for over 200 light flashes, or the person flashing the light over and over?

Since one can't happen without the other, I think you know my answer to that question.

Maybe it was just Mr. Stubborn running into Mrs. Stubborn on the same roadway.
    ... your generally not dealing with an ace shooter I bet.

OK. It's your life you are betting on, anyway.

Do you really want a handgun vs. a car in an open field?

Yes, especially a handgun (and who says it's going to be a handgun... another bet you're making, there) vs. a car being driven by someone ducking down so it will be really hard to aim the car at me--since I am free to move out of the way of the car. ;)

But in actuality, I would take the 3rd choice... just try to drive courteously at all times. Then it's very unlikely I'll need to make the choice between the gun vs. the car in the open field.
  • Secondly, there was no time to change lanes and pass. The offending car decided to purposely drive at the exact same speed as the truck to it's right (on a 2 lane freeway). When that behavior was noticed, the next 195 of those 200 flashes ensued. Short of using the shoulder, had no option other than to continue flashing, tailgate, pit maneuver, shoot a weapon (wasn't packing though).

This is a classic example of LLD vs LLC, slowing down traffic for the rest of us.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    Had a relatively uneventful drive home tonight, except for the initial merge onto the highway from work.

At that point, I was stuck behind a Mazda Miata who would not accelerate to highway speed. So, the end result was that he couldn't merge onto a crowded highway because he wasn't matching highway speed.

And because he wasn't doing so, all of the cars behind him couldn't merge, either... myself included.

Eventually, the highway cleared up a bit and he could merge... so what did he do? Immediately cross two lanes of traffic to park himself in the left-lane and drive under the speed limit.
  • It seems that Mr. Explorer is our new neighbor and the spot in front of his house is where he will be parking his car. The street is almost clear of snow/ice and the Explorer is still in harm's way.

Some people never learn. :confuse:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,844
    Maybe he's trying to get it totalled out. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Well, depends on my current speed and range. But there are ways to duck that still allow you to see; your generally not dealing with an ace shooter I bet. A car is much bigger than a bullet, way easier to hit a body with.

huh? :confuse:

Why would you put yourself in that situation because somebody is driving too slow?
  • It would almost seem so, but the Explorer isn't that old and looks to be in pretty good condition. Except for the calling card that the Honda left last week.

It looks like the real reason is the number of vehicles at that house now. Besides the Explorer, I see two Focuses (Foci?), a battered Taurus, a Kia/Hyundai and a Mustang shuffling between the garage, driveway and street.

Maybe they should leave the Taurus in the street?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,844
    You need to saunter down and ask a few questions. Maybe the Explorer belongs to their kid and they are trying to tell him something.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited January 2013
    OK. It's your life you are betting on, anyway.

Okay, but what do you do in your car if someone pulls a gun on you?? Call 911? Sorry, the Police are too busy issuing speeding tickets, you'll have to wait.

and who says it's going to be a handgun... another bet you're making, there

If you have a high powered semi-automatic rifle with a large magazine and ready-loaded clips, I wouldn't try a rush and run over tactic, probably a reverse and skidding u-turn and escape manuever is in order. No bet made, remember, the gun is pulled before I run you over, so I can tell what you got. The only bet is that you probably don't have much extra re-load ammo, and if you have a 6-shooter revolver, it's a pretty one sided battle when you waste your six bullets. If you pull out a piddly handgun, your getting run over, end of story, trust me, not even an NFL all-star running back could dodge a car going 100 MPH (who says I'm running you over at slow speeds?).

Your free to move out of the way but I'm free to drive the streering wheel correction into you.

As to your third choice, I really don't think it's your choice, I really don't think driving courteously helped the innocent victims of recent mass shootings, since one was at a school and the other was in a movie theater, did flashing lights tick those shooters off?
    edited January 2013
    Why would you put yourself in that situation because somebody is driving too slow?

I wouldn't! If you go back and read all the posts in context, I said anyone with half a brain would already be 1/2 mile past the slow blocker by the time they whipped out a pistol.

But if someone did pull out a gun on me, and for some strange reason they were between me and my destination, baby, you better believe they are going down.

I would never shoot someone over poor driving habits, however, I would love to incapacitate their vehicle somehow (the situations talked about above were all in self-defense only).
    Way, way out of line.
    edited January 2013
    >No LLD here... just dealing with a LLC and teaching them a lesson.

ROFLMAO. Not LLD behavior!!! Wow. Just wow.

A car is a dangerous weapon. The roads are not meant to battlegrounds. There's nothing to be bragging about as a result of turning the highways into a place of revenge and attacks.

Just a little courtesy would have taken care of the kinds of problems with someone going near the speedlimit or even over the limit on two-lane interstates and holding up those who wish to speed behind them.
  • "...fail to notice it, and you might get 2 or 3 slightly less friendly flashes, fail to notice that, and it'll get less friendlier still."

"My lights weren't going to stop flashing till they obeyed the law..."

" ...just dealing with a LLC and teaching them a lesson."

"...I would love to incapacitate their vehicle somehow..."

If those statements don't illustrate aggressive driving attitude, I don't know what will.
    It's when the attitude translates to actions that trouble brews.
  • Whoa, you've been watching too many action movies.