Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,687
    edited June 2013
    Driving home today had nothing bad - even with the 13mph average speed due to negligent traffic controls and the untouchables who manage them.

But when on foot...saw numerous phone holding yappers including several in cars I know have bluetooth, got crosswalk crowded by a couple of older women in a Lexus LS (who I yelled at as a window was down), and a guy on a motorcycle yelling at a guy in a car who possibly almost changed lanes into him.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    I found out Iowa is popular with campers this time of year... LLCers, that is. On a round trip today from the Twin Cities to Des Moines, I saw more LLCers than I have in any other one-day period. Ever. Maybe the rain had something to do with it, I don't know.

At times it was very hard rain, very dark, very poor visibility. Yet still a few idiots like a black A6 driving with no lights on. You'd think a car like that would have automatic lights. Even the stripper Malibu rental I was driving had them. But I had the headlights "on" the whole trip... automatic lights don't always come on when lights should be on.
    edited June 2013
    Rough plodding drive home tonight - local yokels seemed slower than usual, combined with negligently managed (I should have pursued public sector work) traffic controls made for gridlock everywhere. Another 15mph average speed even though half the way is on 40mph roads. At a metered on-ramp, saw a Pacifica jam to a stop for no reason in the carpool lane (confused idiot driver, of course) - motorcycle behind it had to do a nice swerve to avoid it. Best phone yapper was in a Z8 - driver looked pretty young, so I will wager daddy's car. And what's with staying a million car lengths back at lights and when going 20? And once again noticed that M3s can't take off at under 3K rpm and must average 6K rpm from there on.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,454
    I should have pursued public sector work

Oh, I don't know about that! As much as you loathe the lack of accountability, I would hate to see you harbor such self-loathing! :P
    I'd probably be canned in the first year probation period or however they work it. I'd dare to try to fix things, which would upset the old guard, no doubt.

Been noticing lately that lots of people won't run their headlights around 0530 (when I go to work) - sure there is light in the sky, but not a ton. What's the mentality behind this? Trying to appear stealthy or save some imagined .00001 mpg?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,454
    It's .0001, but yeah. :P

Maybe they all just came from a vacation in Fairbanks! People here drive around the clock without lights now. Yes, you can do so and see the road just fine, but it would really nice if they used lights from at least 2300 - 0400 given the low-angle light and/or glare during those hours.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,326
    As you have seen the lightless, they obviously are visible to the rest of your area as well so they don't need to be on. ;)
    If everyone else was as hyper-attentive as I, the roads would be a much better place :shades:
    That's related to a problem I see here - even in the early morning light, areas shaded by trees (many roads here are fully under a tree canopy) are still pretty dark.

Something else I have noticed on a couple local cars - those with automated running lights (MBs) have been disabled. It's a simple change in the settings, but why would someone want to be less visible?
    Today saw a transit bus enter a major intersection well after yellow, went through red, dawdled in front of cars it cut off on the cross street, before stopping. Why?

Last night got to honk at a slow turner who honked back. Hey, you're in the wrong, stopping in the middle of the road for nothing then turning at 2mph. Watch yourself. Saw a simp in a Scion turning at ~3mph from an arterial street, too. Watch out for that cornering force!
    While on foot this morning, saw a dope in a Bentley convertible, top down, phone to his ear. Take some gall to do it right out in the open - but if the past 30 or so years of economic policy have taught us, this is not an egalitarian society. All I could think to yell was "hang up, you big idiot" :shades:
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    While on foot this morning, saw a dope in a Bentley convertible, top down, phone to his ear.

We really need big government, big brother, to make laws to require technology that will not allow cell calls in moving vehicles, whether driver is doing it or a passenger. Calls to 911 would be allowed to be processed. Drivers making cell calls are stupid, selfish, reckless and finally, cannot manage their lives to make their phone calls at their homes and offices. They are disorganized and dumb.
    Pipe dream. The tech will be defeated by an app written by an ambitious 5th grader 30 seconds after such legislation is put into play. Not to mention, telecom lobbyists are hard working and well funded. No argument about the disorganized and dumb though.

Inconsiderates today - only one person turning from a straight only lane, and typical depressingly low turn signal use.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    This could perhaps alert you to inconsiderate drivers. Uninsured ones at least.

"They look like ordinary license plates until they're activated, after which they light up, or even flash, with selected messages. According to the company's Web site, those messages could read "Uninsured," "Expired," "Suspended," "Stolen," or even "Amber Alert."

Electronic License Plates Spark Concerns About Big Brother

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,160
    edited June 2013
    >We really need big government, big brother, to make laws to require technology that will not allow cell calls in moving vehicles, whether

Maybe we could just have the NSA deactivate their phone anytime they dial and the phone switches cell tower. :)

Actually I think we have enough big brother and need less government control.

>Drivers making cell calls are stupid, selfish, reckless and finally, cannot manage their lives to make their phone calls at their homes

I keep thinking about the 80% of young females driving during the daytime hours in this area who are on the cell phone. It's their social time when they get behind the wheel--hand gestures, laughing, anger, etc., all kinds of emotions show on their faces and in their actions while on their phones.

I always thought the "Baby on Board" signs were stupid since the driver should just be extra careful instead of acting like it's up to everyone else to protect thier bundle-of-joy on board.

We need "Cell Phone in Use" signs. ;)
    We probably don't need the government to manage tech that disables phones in motion - they simply lack the mettle to develop something to any workable level - not that such a level even exists. There are other solutions to this issue, and they all revolve around accountable and consistent enforcement.

I am surprised "Baby on Board" signs don't make the vehicle a target, like the stupid stick figure family decals often seen on obese SUVs and oblivious minivans. Around my area, one could also sell an "Anchor Baby on Board" :shades: I too notice phone yappers often (but not always) revolve around a certain demographic.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,160
    edited June 2013
    I"d forgotten about the obnoxious little decals stuck on the back windows to tell how many cats, dogs, kids, etc., are in the family.

Do they have a decal of a person with a cell phone stuck to their ear for me to look at when I'm behind them at a stoplight and they're not moving.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,326
    Attn Fin: If you want to be helpful in a positive way, use your visual & verbal acuity to remind the other driver his tabs have expired. :D
    That's something local yokels usually keep up with, but some like to put the new sticker over the month or in the middle of the plate etc :confuse:

I am sure 1%er trickle down creator in the Bentley had current registration, maybe good insurance for when he eventually hits someone,too :sick:
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,911
    seems wrong to characterize cellfone-using-drivers with such a blanket statement, xrunner2. as for big-government nanny, it's just a matter of computing & administrative resources to do as you ask - the video cameras are already up & running over many/most highways in USA.

please let's forget about *talking* on the cellphone as a supposed problem, because there is a worse problem: the amount of texting/emailing that goes on during commuting is huge - especially when traffic gets too dense for cops to see/detain anyone.

how about the inevitable implementations using existing video cameras above every recent highway - they can look at hands of the driver and identify the texters/web-surfers via image-recognition and send them tickets.

most highways already have plenty of existing video cameras. all vehicles' speeds can be calculated accurately between every pair of cameras - by computer using video data already being captured.

how about each driver gets hundreds of deserved/valid/retroactive tickets for all their 2010-2012 driving/speeding/texting. the stored videos can be replayed/re-analyzed any time in the future, and tickets sent out for speeding/texting that occurred years ago.

smile, you're on candid camera !
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    seems wrong to characterize cellfone-using-drivers with such a blanket stateme

So how should these drivers be characterized? Are there any valid reasons for a driver to be using a cell phone beyond calling 911 or a similar number to report an emergency, such as an accident that just occurred?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    I can't remember the last time an inconsiderate driver I've (almost) run into was NOT using a cell phone, so it's pretty easy to use this blanket statement...

Hang up the phone and DRIVE YOUR CAR.

On the way to work this morning, a cell phone user (I'm sure it was a REALLY important call at 7:10 AM) had to lock up his brakes as he came up behind me too fast. I was going about 40 MPH in a 35 zone, so I was obviously almost a stationary object I guess.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    Hang up the phone and DRIVE YOUR CAR.

But your honor, my autonomous car was driving me around.

By the time we figure out how to limit texting and cells, Google will screw it all up. :P

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Problem solved - wear a mask :shades:

Funny thing, there are plenty of "people" out there who want that Orwellian vision, and not just in the subjugated UK.
    Come to my neighborhood, you'll see plenty of inconsiderates/idiots with both hands on the wheel :lemon:

Last night saw a guy slam on his brakes in front of a bus, try to make an illegal u-turn where his car wouldn't fit, then get stuck in a small parking area, then back out into traffic - and ends up going the same direction he was headed to begin with - all while apparently not recognizing other vehicles on the road.

Headed to work this morning, around 0530, rainy and dark, half the vehicles (literally) weren't using headlights. I know it's the longest day of the year, but this is just stupid. Most of the time it's a truck or SUV, too.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Oh there are certainly idiots who need nothing but themselves and a car to cause havoc, but they seem to be FAR outnumbered by the GBC addicts *

* Gotta be Connected

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,327
    Wouldn't it be 100X easier and 100X more effective to simply make the penalties for being an accident causer 100X more severe?

Get the accident prone (dangerous) people off the road!
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 700
    It'd be 10000x more effective to install high-explosive radar-guided missiles on the roofs of every car, with drivers only able to fire them at cars that violate driving rules, endanger others on the road, and reduce/stop the flow of traffic.

We'd quickly see a 20% reduction in the driving population of America... and the rest would suddenly rediscover proper driving etiquette.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,327
    10000x more effective to install high-explosive radar-guided missiles on the roofs of every car, with drivers only able to fire them at cars that violate driving rules

The slow pokes in the slow right lane would shoot missiles at the speeders in the left fast lane even though they don't' harm or hassle anyone, and it isn't even remotely dangerous.

My brother in law got a ticket for making a right turn on red when there's a single sign that says "no right turn on red during these hours: rush hours"

It lists a few different time periods and I find it hilariously unenforceable in a court of law.

A judge might now agree, but I'd argue it doesn't state PST or EST or what kind of time. Also, isn't a driver better able to gauge whether the turn is safe or not rather than an arbitrary sign with arbitrary hours?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    A judge might now agree, but I'd argue it doesn't state PST or EST or what kind of time.

LOL! Thanks for a good laugh to end the work week!

I agree about driver judgement being better than signs. Let's apply that same rule to speed limit signs (oh wait... you already do that), stop signs, railroad crossing signals, do not enter signs... all of 'em!

Also, I'll remember the time zone defense if I ever get a parking ticket and the "no parking" times didn't mention the time zone. ;)