Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Wow, NJ is doing something CA should have done long ago.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    In CA we can't even flash our lights or honk or shake our fists at the tortoises. We are rendered powerless.... :cry:

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,333
    WA has similar LLC laws, which I hear are at least occasionally enforced.

Out on foot today, I noticed tons of phone yappers/holders - probably 80% were women under 40. Also saw a guy in an old GTI honk at a Lexus RX making a U-turn. The Lexus had the green and was making a legal/signed turn, VW was making a free right turn. Nothing looks stupider than honking when you're in the wrong, and VW guy looked pretty stupid. I shouted his error at him from the sidewalk.
    I flash my lights in CA. Never feared doing it either. Never been even remotely punished for it.

I have resorted to honking at left lane campers as I pass them on the right. Probably 1% figure out why.
    Two cars waiting until the last minute to change lanes.

One is two lanes over and moving right to get into an exit ramp/lane at the very last minute. The other car is on the oncoming ramp/merging lane and trying to move left onto the freeway at the very last minute before they run out of room in front of the following exit ramp the other car is trying to merge onto.

Who is in the wrong? Normally the vehicle on the freeway would have the right of way, but that is the right to the lane on the freeway, not the exit/merging lane/ramp.

One car moves right, one car moves left, they sideswipe; who's at fault?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,347
    The driver merging onto the freeway is obligated to yield to the other driver who has more equity in his position. Using the Left turn signal when merging does not trump the driver who is already there.
    edited June 2013
    To complicate matters, what if the car on the left wasn't "there" yet, and quickly and dangerously changed from TWO lanes over in order to cause the collision? You are supposed to change one lane at a time, so the "who got there first" question might be a tie in this situation.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    If a driver could have prevented the accident by driving in a prudent manner, he/she might be found at fault.

Another factor here, which may or may not carry any weight in court, but should, is that the driver exiting had plenty of time to move into the exit lane. As you noted, he waited until the last second, then made a dangerous two-lane cut. The car entering the freeway had much less room to maneuver, compared to the exiting car.

Also, how did the cars actually collide? If the car entering the freeway ran into the car exiting, or vice versa, it's more clear who is at fault.
    Also, how did the cars actually collide? If the car entering the freeway ran into the car exiting, or vice versa, it's more clear who is at fault.

They actually didn't collide; both drivers were alert and managed to just have a close call.

If they had been slow at the wheel they would have collided right at the middle of the first lane (not the exit/merging lane), and hard to say but perhaps driver to passenger door contact.

As it was, the driver merging onto the freeway used the excess shoulder to get onto the freeway safely and speed up (a situation where braking would have been the worst reaction, but speeding up saved the day), the car exiting managed to exit, but had to hit the brakes and get behind then move right, forcing the tailgating truck behind them to slam the brakes too.

I agree with your assertion that the exiting car has more time to make his maneuver than the merging car, which should be considered, but I know insurance companies don't think that way. Also, proving a driver was being prudent or not will prove nearly impossible without video tape.
    Not really. It's prudent, for example, to prepare to exit a freeway before the last second, to avoid exactly the kind of situation you described. It's reckless to wait until the last second, then cut across two lanes suddenly. It doesn't take a video tape to figure that out.
    Indeed, plan exits ahead. I always start to get over after the exit prior to where I want to go.

The proliferation of dash cams will eventually make some cases easier.

People merging at proper speed is also a fun topic. They NEVER do it here. The "Seattle merge" is a Subaru, RX, or Prius entering a 55-60mph traffic stream at 40.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 703
    That fast?

Here in the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Axis... some people merge onto the highways at 30 mph.

And those numbnuts get upset if you are far enough behind them to gun the engine and merge onto the highway at 55-60 mph... because you catapult yourself past their car and leave them in the dust before they even parse the concept of merging.
    Well, on a downhill half mile long entrance ramp. There's also the "Bellevue merge", which means a high end SUV and stereotypical driver, going 35 while distracted.

Speed differential drama can be fun. I still remember a dope in a Kia getting upset at me because I was pressuring him (varying following distances, gesturing him to get going) on an on ramp when I was in my old car. As the road widened and I shot past (no mean feat in that car), he started yelling and waving his hands. Note to Kiadiot, if a 50 year old MB is being held up by your mentally defective merging style, you're going too slow. Stick to side roads and let actual motorists be on their way.

For inconsiderates, saw a few today - phone yappers, a woman pull out of a driveway onto a major street where she wanted a left turn lane, but it was full - so she just blocked the road perpendicularly until it cleared. And an M3 that both didn't signal a turn and then floored it once turned. Stereotypes reign supreme.
    Got to honk about 5 times today - I felt like I was on candid camera. On 30-40mph arterial streets, someone in front of me would just randomly stop, as if lost and in a panic. But their local plates and frames betrayed this idea (I think I am relatively nice and will give a rental car or out of state car some leeway). Twice, a stooge just stopped in the middle of the intersection for no apparent reason, as if discussing the route with a passenger. The sun/heat here is baking their little empty minds. Honked once at someone who was too timid to pull out of a commercial driveway - I did this after the car behind me honked, then she slowly pulled out, as there finally were no cars in the entire line of sight. A dearth of turn signals out there today too, but that's normal anymore.

Also have ran (stop and go) at 3 stuck lights in the past 2 days, and saw someone else (rented Fusion) do the same. Oh those "servants", doing so much for good.
    Another hot day here, and the sun is baking the brains of local "drivers". While test driving a car, got behind a woman in a Pilot merging at 40-45 into a free-flowing 60mph road where most were speeding a little. She had her hands at an 11-and-1 death grip, staring straight ahead. Another one who should stick to surface streets. While out on a winding road, encountered a Saturn making a multi-point U-turn - at the apex of a sharp blind curve. Held several cars up as the "driver" made up their mind. Many others would brake for any kind of turn in the road, or signal for a turn in the road - not a turn onto another street. And slowpokes abounded - got behind an old man in a conversion van going 18/22 in a 30, and was stuck behind a Ford Edge going ~22 in a 30, had maybe 15 cars stacked up behind it by the time it finally turned. And with the heat, the local Harley crowd has decided all they need for protection is a brain bucket helmet - have fun with that.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 703
    I drive to work on a daily basis on a 4-lane (2 each way) highway.

Today, there was a Prius in the passing lane... right next to a semi. Both going 50 mph. On a road posted at 65mph.

I was behind the Prius and could see that the lady driving was constantly glancing over at the semi, terrified of it. Yet she would not pass. I even flashed my lights to signal that she ought to *PASS* in the passing lane. Twice.

Only when I laid onto my horn did she accelerate, complete the pass, and get over.

D@#n left-lane campers.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,971
    She should take lessons from LA cabbies - I had 5 cab rides in LA last week and every one was in a Prius (two "C"s and three "originals").

Good drivers all but none were timid about flooring their cabs or cutting into holes in traffic.

I did notice that most of them camped out in the left lanes most of the time.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• billy3554billy3554 Posts: 148
    More likely, nine-nine percent of those LLCs smiled as they achieved what they wanted. An acknowledgment.
    Drove about 100 miles today, mostly on highways, usually with some traffic density. Within 2 minutes of my drive, saw a red CA plated SL63 on 405 that I thought might be going 80 - flow of traffic was 60-65 (fast for 405, even when posted at 60) and was weaving in and out. And then it just took off, within a couple minutes it was out of my line of sight. Time for wealth based fines, speed enforcement is supposed to be a deterrent, right?

On I5 in Seattle, saw a woman in an old Town Car going maybe 75 in a 55-60 flow, weaving around, no signals of course, with a bumper sticker that read something like "Feminism means women are people too" or some such PC nonsense. Then at a random moment, she almost literally gets out of her seat and starts rummaging around in the car, while flying down the road. She was weaving all over, and I thought/hoped might lose it. She eventually got into the far right lane and slowed down :confuse:

Then came the LLCs. A number of them - most memorable was a smug greybeard in a first gen Prius going maybe 50 in a 60, left lane, while enjoying his mug of coffee, cars flying past on the right, not a care in the world.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I had a relentless LLC last night on the way home from a party. Two people at 10 under in the right lane and then a joker in the left at 5 under. Even my wife said "cant you get around these idiots". 300 HP helps sometimes :blush:

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Hey, at least he was moving faster than the right lane (but I bet he slowed when he got alongside them - they always do, too timid to pass and make their own lane change).

I passed on the right about a hundred times yesterday.
    edited July 2013
    I was in the passenger seat to witness an old guy in a current modern model Sonata going 25-30 on a freeway exchange ramp designed to take a double decker bus at 40-45, a Toyota at 45-50, and that Sonata he was driving I'm sure could handle 40 for even the slowest poker around.

By the time he finished the merge there were 15 cars stacked up behind him, at the time, traffic was light and when the ramp started we were the ONLY car behind them.
    Less traffic today, the dumb lights even seemed less dumber - but still tons of phone yappers, in downtown Bellevue seemed like every third car at the very least. No enforcement, of course.

Also saw a kid in a late model Maserati coupe weaving around without signals and going a bit faster than the traffic flow - time to start taxing trust funds at 98%.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,347
    time to start taxing trust funds at 98%.

That'l never happen & it shouldn't. It's not a sin to be "with money" and how it is obtained is of no concern to others. Be happy for those who are enriched by whatever means. Thankfully, all of us have the equal chance to become well to do. Choices and decisions determine our future. :)
    edited July 2013
    "It's not a sin to be "with money""

I see you graduated from strawman university.

Actually, how money is obtained is of concern to everyone, especially in this age of sinister investor visas and crooked FIRE industry types who are doing their darndest to derail the present and stunt the future in the name of unsustainable immediate gains for a few. The gaping socio-economic chasm speaks volumes. Please study history to see how it always ends.

Where and to who you are born determines more than anything, and please don't forget it :) It worked that way back in the less competitive days (these people are often LLCs) that enabled some experienced people who couldn't hack it today to succeed, and it works that way now.

Time to start taxing it at 98%, time for wealth based traffic fines (if fines are supposed to be a deterrent, this cannot be debated), time to start questioning those who are afraid to have information known.
    Given the choice, I'd rather be a graduate of Strawman University than Bitterness College (summa [non-permissible content removed] laude in the Intolerance major).

While we're at it, let's start taxing people based on the cars they drive. For example, each luxury car like a Mercedes gets taxed $10,000 a year. Someone with a Kia... they get a rebate. :)
    edited July 2013
    Tolerance, yes, that's a good one. There are a few high ranking graduates here from the sister schools of Strawman and Red Herring :shades:

Luxury car? You mean a diesel sedan with a vinyl interior? :shades:

And there was actually a luxury tax on higher end cars, killed off during the previous economic experiment. Now, lessees can deduct their payments as a "business expense" (ha), in our endless blind hope for things to trickle down. I wonder how many BMWs I see flitting around without turn signals are accounted for that way.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    Money is a resource to my mind, and just because someone wins the genetic lottery, I don't see why I have to stand by and watch them waste it away without SOME comment. I mean, is it intolerant to watch someone leave their garden hose on all day 'because dad's paying the utilities'?

In the same vein, I confess to finding it very hard to watch someone thoroughly incompetent driving a $150,000 sports car like it was a bread truck.

So really it's not the 'thing' with me, it's how they use it that brings out my judgmental tendencies.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

There's a saying: "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Which is good I think for anyone who is not perfect to keep in mind.

I find it fascinating how some here can judge someone regarding their use of money because they happen to observe them driving for a few seconds. Hard to know "the full story" in that case, no?

Personally I have a hard time relating to someone driving a $150,000 anything, let alone driving it like a bread truck. But then, they don't point fingers at me regarding how I spend my money, nor should they--especially not based on watching me drive down the road for a few seconds.

:)
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    edited July 2013
    Actually, how money is obtained is of concern to everyone

Actually, on this board, it MIGHT be of concern only if the one involved was an inconsiderate driver. But, how would one know the details about that driver?