Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    edited July 2013
    It would be nice if that really happened - city (and its well paid "servants") acts up, it gets boycotted and financially murdered.

That's really the best way to fight back! The city reacted quickly before being murdered and ended the camera speed ticketing immediately. A judge from the area helped with that by being honest and decrying the system they put in place as "a money grab."

The speed limit is still under-posted however.

They raised sales tax in CA Jan 1. People have "boycotted" purchases, and revenues for the state are down this year despite the .25% increase. CA has reacted by raising gas tax 3 cents per gallon July 1, which is even harder to avoid.

Also, CA is a leader in the let's tax the internet crowd.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    Why can't people understand speed has nothing to do with most deaths?
    Your answer when you click on this.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showi- nfo=0
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,859
    A judge was honest about camera motivations? That has to be a first. I'd have less issue with traffic law enforcement strategy if the powers that be would finally admit to most of their reasoning. It's money.

All of the issues in CA and still no mass exodus. No room to the north, so go east, please :shades:
    I'm not sure what videos of wacky driving situations in a relatively undeveloped country full of drivers who are relatively new to motoring have to do with speed. The problem in Russia isn't speed. Speed doesn't make old trucks randomly fall apart, or people make left turns from the right lane (those who seem to be the biggest Russian problem areas) etc. Most problems in that collection along with most Russian dashcam videos are inattention and poor planning.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Oh, Americans. We want a perfect world but we don't want to pay anything for it.

Our tax rate vs. GPD is # 30 out of the 33 countries forming the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). (Europe, Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan, Korea, Mexico, etc.).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

However, when an accident DOES occur at very high speeds, the results are proportionately gruesome.

Winners today - typical cab driver in a Prius, varying between 10 under and 10 over, using the whole lane, and at red lights would initially stop way back behind the car in front of him, and slowly creep up during the red duration. Why do people do that?

On foot saw two dumb SUV drivers - one a woman in a Lexus LX who tried to take a free right turn in front of an oncoming left turn lane who had green. Traverse approaching her honked, she let up and then started going again (!), Traverse honked again, I think to protect the scooter behind it, and the halfwit in the LX honked back. Kid in the passenger seat gave me a look like "I don't know her".

And another woman in an Acadia, phone to her ear, crowds a green signaled crosswalk with several pedestrians in it. Time for SUV license endorsement requirements, they make a demographic who too often lacks logic and accountability become even worse.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,990
    slowly creep up during the red duration. Why do people do that?

Obviously afraid that one of "those" people will rear end them while they are yakking on their smart phone.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I think it is more of a problem with poor spatial awareness. Like the people who need 17 attempts to park in a wide open space.
    Well, if you're the last in line and you stack yourself up in traffic and then see some yahoo bearing down on you, you don't leave yourself much of an out to try to get out of their way.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't think weavy varying speed Prius cab driver had the foresight to plan against being rear ended. There's a difference between giving yourself an out, and stopping way too far behind, and then creeping up a few inches at a time.

Besides, I was behind him, also stopped.
    When I get a "buffer" behind me, I creep up. Knowing cabbies, the driver probably wanted some room to cut in the next lane in case someone ahead stalled out.

But a buffer in front of you? Do you stop and then creep up every several seconds? No way to cut ahead, it was a turn only lane - and it's 2013, stalling cars aren't common anymore :shades:

Funny, once we rounded the corner, he crawled, I passed on the right, I made the next light, he didn't.
    Well, stalling drivers would be more apt. Dropped cigarette, dropped phone, dropped donut, spilled Starbucks. :shades:

That assumes that the high speeds were not mitigated at all. Kind of like closing your eyes for 45 seconds until you run into a tree at 100 MPH. Even terrible drivers that rear-end others more often slam the brakes dissipating some "high speed" prior to crashing.

Can you even give an example of a high speed crash other than a head-on collision that doesn't involve some form of inattention (like driving into a brick wall?).
    I'm not in the wanting a perfect world without paying for it crowd. I'd like people to start paying taxes, especially rich people that can afford it and avoid it the most.

I believe CA Cal Trans spending on roadways is in the top 5 of 50 States but our quality of roads is bottom 5 of 50.

The problem is getting our monies worth, not that we aren't paying anything for it!!!!!
    Looked like a bunch of low speed collisions to me.
    To be fair, I think the judge was from a neighboring town and was ticketed. At least he didn't do like other judges and ask for the ticket to be forgotten and illegally disposed of.
    edited July 2013
    It's not a matter of attention in many cases, I don't think--many drivers are simply not competent enough to drive a car at high speed---bluntly, they don't know their ashtray from their elbow. Certainly we see abundant evidence of this in SUV single-car rollovers. (swerve at high speed and....FLIPPO!)

Other errors include incorrect time/distance/speed calculation, braking in a high speed turn, hydro-planing, mechanical failures.

But why do they swerve? A panic reaction due to inattention.

For the SUVs, the laws of physics + iffy engineering can be at play, too.

I'd still like to see mass or size based license endorsements.
    Two dummies stick in my head today. First, middle aged guy in a Sienna, driving it like it's a sportscar - flooring it, abrupt lane changes, etc. Frustrations of driving the mommymobile when a Porsche or motorcycle passes by, maybe. He also dumped a drink out his window at a stoplight. Stay classy. Second one was aging yuppie in a late model 750Li xDrive, going 10-15 over the flow of traffic, weaving around (at least one lane change per minute) and NEVER signaled. I can deal with some speeding, but no signal is the pinnacle of roundel douchiness. I wonder what a real "deterrent" fine would be.
    edited July 2013
    They swerve because they have no training..it's what a rookie does, same as swinging at bad pitches. They over-correct, over-react.

i think it's more than inattention, I really do.

Definitely a combination of things. Mainly driver panic which is driver error.

If you are driving an SUV you should be aware it doesn't handle like a 911.

If you are driving an SUV you should know what the limits of its handling abilities are.

That way drivers won't try to do the impossible. Braking in a high speed turn isn't necessarily an error (hard braking probably, but some braking might increase forward traction reduce under-steer).

It's funny that often the so-called "speeders" I see are in SUV's that take much longer to stop from higher speeds than the 3,300 pound R8's I rarely see.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,931
    edited July 2013
    finny, taking offense while driving or elsewhere is a *feeling*. An emotion.
    One can respond to one's feelings with consideration or the opposite - with *inconsideration* as we so often see described here, or espoused here.

for example, some inconsiderate drivers respond by deciding whether richy rich driver's wealth was 'earned' or not - and then they elect candidates who help the govt take away more and more of richy rich's wealth/income/anything!

please establish a forum where folks can consult with you and the other arbiters of whether wealth/cars/home/whatever was "earned' or not. I'll be the first to post there - want to find out for sure whether I deserved what i used to have, and what I've still got before its all taxed&epreciated away.

long live the 1% ! and as for us-all 53-percenters, let's not let the 47-percenters get us down, nor any of the self-hating 53% either.

drive considerate of everything about the other driver/car: skill/capability/income-level/kids/dogs/whatever!

cheers !
    edited July 2013
    In my case, the *emotion* is from nearly being killed by someone. If they aren't doing anything wrong or stupid or incredibly rude, I really don't care what they earned or deserve. But if they are trying to kill me, I don't feel I have to the time to carefully sort the flood of emotions that might seize me at that moment.

edited July 2013
    In related news, some places peg speeding fines to income.

Finn's speed fine is a bit rich (BBC)

170,000 Euros is a lot of sausage.

he can afford it. 170,000 Euros is like "free" to a person that rich. If you have 10 billion bucks, a new Corvette is like you or I spending a dollar.

And when inconsiderate richie rich is acting like an idiot on public roads, I'll continue to make observations. It's an occupational hazard - if the local trust fund and investor visa gang doesn't like it, they are free to take their idiocy to a private track where it belongs. When you're out there flaunting for all to see, you have to take the good and the bad. I suspect most of them have thicker skin than the oversensitive few here who can't stand to see gold questioned, no matter how illegitimate it may be.

As if elections change any of it, puhlease :P
    Indeed, if fines are meant to be deterrents, then they need to vary along with the level of deterrence. Average worker in his Civrolla is a lot more deterred by a $120 fine than Mr Inheritance (oh no, I am sure he "built it") n his supercar.

Although in that linked case, it does seem a bit much for a 40kph violation - would need to know circumstances. Empty road etc.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    Pegging fines to financial status is not within the American way of life. Have you ever wondered why Lady Justice wears a blindfold. :)