Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,403
    edited December 2013

Hahahah! Hey, at least it all came at you at once. I'm sure you were more alert during the second offense. :p

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,593

A few no lights drivers the past couple days, which still amuses me. What doesn't amuse me is the amount of SUV/CUV drivers, mostly women (sorry) holding a phone while "driving". The lack of enforcement for this and in crosswalks amuses me even less.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860

@xwesx said: Hahahah! Hey, at least it all came at you at once. I'm sure you were more alert during the second offense. :p

It IS getting a little old having to be on DEFCON 1 all of the time. But you can't let your guard down, not even for a second

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    edited December 2013

OMG. Learn to pass, people!

On 195 this morn, there was a white Camry camping in the left lane with a LONG line of cars stacked up behind him. I, as always, cruise in the right lane until overtaking another car(s). This Camry is hanging out maybe 20 yards behind me, but in the left. As I start approaching a slower moving truck, he THEN decides to catch up and SLOW DOWN right next to me.

I wasn't going to wait for him and the train he created to crawl by, so I goosed the right foot and pulled in front of him (not close, mind you), continuing to pull away as I passed the truck. I immediately moved back to the right and let off back to my previous cruising speed. This idiot then proceeds to catch up, pull past, finally move into the right lane but only about 15 feet in front of me, then BRAKE because he was getting off that very exit we were passing! I let him know my displeasure!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

@qbrozen said: OMG. Learn to pass, people!

On 195 this morn, there was a white Camry camping in the left lane with a LONG line of cars stacked up behind him. I, as always, cruise in the right lane until overtaking another car(s). This Camry is hanging out maybe 20 yards behind me, but in the left. As I start approaching a slower moving truck, he THEN decides to catch up and SLOW DOWN right next to me.

I wasn't going to wait for him and the train he created to crawl by, so I goosed the right foot and pulled in front of him (not close, mind you), continuing to pull away as I passed the truck. I immediately moved back to the right and let off back to my previous cruising speed. This idiot then proceeds to catch up, pull past, finally move into the right lane but only about 15 feet in front of me, then BRAKE because he was getting off that very exit we were passing! I let him know my displeasure!

You didn't order one beer did you? LOL

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hahahahah, Q! You know you asked for that, right? After all, you were driving your 'stang! :p

I've never understood the obsession people seem to have with getting offended over being passed. If someone straight-up passes me and doesn't tippy-toe around the issue by riding my tail, creeping by me, or slowing down directly in front, I'm happy for them to have done so!

Today I got to lay on my horn when a likely new (and I don't mean teenaged) driver pulled out from a driveway directly in front of me as I approached at 35mph. Luckily I was able to swerve into the adjacent lane. I suspect she didn't even look, as she was probably watching the road from gap between the steering wheel and top of the dash. Otherwise, a mess here, light rain and hordes of slow timid "drivers".

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226

@xwesx said: Hahahahah, Q! You know you asked for that, right? After all, you were driving your 'stang! :p

I've never understood the obsession people seem to have with getting offended over being passed. If someone straight-up passes me and doesn't tippy-toe around the issue by riding my tail, creeping by me, or slowing down directly in front, I'm happy for them to have done so!

Yes, well, unfortunately, I can't seem to win in most of my cars. Get attitude for being in a bright blue mustang. Get no respect for being in a minivan. The leaf probably enrages people to think I'm turning my nose up at them. And I'm sure the Benz, although nearly 30 years old, gets dander in an uproar for having a 3-pointed star. The volvo may be the only stealthy unassuming and unprovoking car I have.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Drove a bit on 405/167/5 the past couple days. Christmas Eve featured many LLCs and speedtraps, especially on 167 which is well known for both. Christmas Day featured no speed traps, and some of the south sound local rednecks racing around in their smoke belching lifted trucks that in a logical world would require a license endorsement. Also had a Forester kind of camp beside me for what seemed like eons - it might move up or back a car length (I had criuse on), eventually it slowed down and dropped back.

I'm doing a 3-4 hour trip on Saturday morning. Wonder if I'll have any tales to tell?? :)

edited December 2013

Took another couple hour drive today - more than a couple MLCs and LLCs out there, general slowness, people randomly tapping brakes to keep that beast of a Prius from going out of control at 59mph, etc. Lowest common denominator, I love ya. Worst was an old guy in a late model GMC 4 door 4x4...I was cruising in the right lane going maybe 64 in a 60. He was moving down the left lane at several mph faster. He comes up beside a slow older Subaru in the right lane, and paces it. I get behind the Subaru and am stuck. He then drops back a little, so his front bumper was maybe even with the rear of the Subaru. Then he suddenly punches it and passes the Subaru, getting into the right lane. I punch it and get around both, and as I abruptly pass, I see the old [non-permissible content removed] gesturing his arms. From there, he rapidly drops back even though I never hit more than 65-66 in a 60. What the heck?

Spent a couple hours driving back to the 21st century, this morning. State highways were decent - light traffic, no LLCs at all, but did encounter a small blonde woman in an F150 4x4 who varied her speed between 60-70, and we passed each other a few times. She eventually exited.

Then hit 5 and 405 - volumes were fine, but a pretty bad mix of speeders and slowpokes. Highlights were a RSX that had to have been going 100, and a Civic on a fast downhill stretch that was going 45-50, and being dodged like a pylon.

Driving back 200 miles across I-80 in the rain on Sunday, so the most glaring offenders were those who felt they didn't need to have their lights on. Lots of fun trying to pick them out of the road spray/rain/fog

edited December 2013

Out on foot this morning, saw a Bentley Continental weaving its way through traffic, but failing due to the great equalizer of negligently maintained traffic controls. He never used his signal. I am sure he's a hardworking honest capitalist who built it himself, and operates in a world filled with accountability. Also saw a woman in a huge red Chevy 4 door 4x4 diesel make an awkward left turn against oncoming traffic, and then a real slow turn on a side street - no signals either. License endorsements dearly needed for those.

And about the lights in rain, it's an issue here too, especially in rural areas it seems - where the city dwellers are too oblivious to turn them on at night.

I think I drove less in the last couple weeks than in years. Kinda nice, actually, not having to deal with all the other folks out there. I'm sure my cars appreciated the break, too!

Had some odd weather in the area last night - high dewpoint, but the temps fell below freezing fast - so heavy frost, in many areas looking like snow. Many crashes on area roads this morning, with some being closed. And I can see why. Was out this morning, and noticed when some people would drive onto a frosty section, they'd hit the brakes. Saw a woman in a GL do it a couple times. At 25mph it might not matter, but at 60, it might be enough to do in one of these dopes.

Out in the fintail today, honked twice - both at Subarus. One was a Crosstrek who took a free turn directly in front of me against my green, then crawled up a hill (if you're holding up a 50 year old MB going uphill, you're going too slow, then eventually slowed to a near stop, then hit signal, then turned. That earned my honk. Later was behind an early 00s Outback with one of those wide rear view mirrors, and extra attachments on the side view mirror. It was the slowest car on a busy 35mph arterial where traffic moves at 40-45. I didn't care, as I was in an old car, not in a hurry, and had less than a mile before I turned. But then it too slowed to a crawl, then signaled, then turned at maybe 2mph. Honk.

@fintail said: Had some odd weather in the area last night - high dewpoint, but the temps fell below freezing fast - so heavy frost, in many areas looking like snow. Many crashes on area roads this morning, with some being closed. And I can see why. Was out this morning, and noticed when some people would drive onto a frosty section, they'd hit the brakes. Saw a woman in a GL do it a couple times. At 25mph it might not matter, but at 60, it might be enough to do in one of these dopes.

Out in the fintail today, honked twice - both at Subarus. One was a Crosstrek who took a free turn directly in front of me against my green, then crawled up a hill (if you're holding up a 50 year old MB going uphill, you're going too slow, then eventually slowed to a near stop, then hit signal, then turned. That earned my honk. Later was behind an early 00s Outback with one of those wide rear view mirrors, and extra attachments on the side view mirror. It was the slowest car on a busy 35mph arterial where traffic moves at 40-45. I didn't care, as I was in an old car, not in a hurry, and had less than a mile before I turned. But then it too slowed to a crawl, then signaled, then turned at maybe 2mph. Honk.

Sometimes, just sometimes... in slick road conditions, I get the feeling that AWD stands for Another Wrecked Dummy ;)

Back in the day, I remember here it seemed to be 75% Explorers in the ditch on a snowy day. Nowadays it is everything. I think people are worse now than then, even with more capable cars. On foot this morning, got crosswalk crowded by a phone holding taxi driver, while I had the green walk symbol. I won't say more, but typical Seattle area driver and taxi both.

edited January 10

In the dark drizzle, saw a 90s Accord, only parking lights on, driver had a phone to their ear. A real PNW sight. Also saw a couple of box blockers, one a teenaged looking kid in a big u-haul who looked pretty freaked out, kind of felt sorry for him.

I am pretty sure local revenue enforcement officers could make their $$ quotas simply by hiding out and looking for crosswalk and turn signal violators in downtown Bellevue. I wonder why they don't.

When I was on foot, some traffic controls were pretty idiotic too, seemed worse than normal. But I guess when you answer to nobody...

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,203

Apparently the traffic planners back east answer to the pols. B)

Maybe you should pick up a few traffic cones yourself. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Heading to Newark, DE and then up to Scranton this weekend. Odds on me seeing something "topic worthy" in the SE PA area?? B)

Maybe if I pick them up and throw them at the negligently operated controls, or at the oh so responsible and fairly paid "engineers" behind them? ;)

Out this morning ~0530, Nissan 4x4 sits at a blinking yellow turn arrow. I am on the cross street, sitting at red, which won't change until he moves. He apparently didn't understand the blinking yellow concept - I had to honk and flash my lights to wake him up. My town implemented blinking yellow turn lanes during off-peak hours to get some traffic moving, but apparently the dumbed down "diverse" local driving populace hasn't understood it 100%, as the city had to then install signs with instructions.

@Stever@Edmunds said: Apparently the traffic planners back east answer to the pols. B)

Maybe you should pick up a few traffic cones yourself. :-)

@fintail said: He apparently didn't understand the blinking yellow concept....My town implemented blinking yellow turn lanes during off-peak hours to get some traffic moving

Those blinking yellow turn arrows are starting to show up here, too. I don't understand the need or point of them, honestly. I guess that, if nothing else, they serve as a visual break in the otherwise green lights, which does catch your attention.

Strangely, though, when the lights first turn green (for through and left-turning traffic), the turn arrow is green. It then goes to solid yellow, then to solid red for 2-3 seconds before becoming blinking yellow. I have to wonder, on the few times that I approach and enter the intersection during the yellow/red phase, whether a LEO could ticket me for "running a red light" during that sequence when it is clearly only a transition from a ROW to a yield-ROW-to-oncoming-traffic scenario. For lights that are not subject to the blinking yellow arrow (you know, the ones where drivers can actually use their own judgement... God forbid!), no such ambiguity exists.

Here, they usually start off as blinking yellow, but I think a few might make the green-to-yellow transition. Yellow = proceed with caution, I guess that isn't taught in the new style buy-your-license drivers ed in my area. The city putting up signs telling local "drivers" what to do says it all. Speaking of judgement, I will still stand by the idea that during certain hours, blinking lights are needed. But the safety crybabies won't go for it - probably get a ticket out of it now and then. Annoying thing I have noticed about it is when a car makes the turn on blinking yellow, the oncoming lane will turn red a couple seconds later - for no reason at all, as the turn lane is now empty. I think it's a programming glitch by the venerable "engineers" (lots of smirky quotes today). As in the morning, I am usually on almost empty roads with no revenue enforcers or cameras around, I don't respect those reds, so to speak. If a LEO pulled that light running trick, it would be fun to lawyer up and deliver some humility. Gotta have an ethical judge too, of course.

@xwesx said:

@fintail said: If a LEO pulled that light running trick, it would be fun to lawyer up and deliver some humility. Gotta have an ethical judge too, of course.

Sounds like a "perfect storm" scenario, to me! :p

• eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    edited January 11

took gto out for 3rd time in a month. it has hancook ice-bear tires on it, and they are indeed semi-capable on snow and ice. but for the 2nd time in a month, a car ran stop sign directly in front of me, on a 35 mph dry road, had to slam on brakes massively. stopped with about 2 feet spare.
    this car passed another car at the stop sign, in order to run the stop - a 1-lane/one-way with stop sign. this person wasn't texting, amazingly. due to looking over snowbanks and the other car they passed at the stop, they probably didn't see my car because it's not as tall as SUV or truck.

anyway, even though this wasn't from texting, sooooo many people are driving and texting out there, it is amazing there aren't 100x more accidents.

In the dark rain tonight, several cars with no lights - 2x Prius, Lexus LS, Sienna. Saw a guy in a Legacy wagon with no lights, I pointed at his car, and he turned them on, yay! Also a couple of crosswalk crowders.

• jimi240jimi240 Posts: 2

I shop I used to run had some interesting customers. One seasoned citizen in particular was quite the star. Her husband had passed, but she was still a snowbird, maintaining two vehicles between Ohio and Florida. Every spring- as per her dead husband's orders- she brought her car in for "service" Now this old girl was nearly blind, so the fact the she had only put 13 MILES on the clock during the previous driving season had escaped her. Normally, she would put a couple hundred miles a season, but this one year gets a gold medal. She was so blind, in fact, that she would ask us how much fuel the gauge registered! Needless to say, just to get her off the lot, we would park her car right at the street, ready to go. There was no talking her out of driving either, regardless of how unsafe she was.

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,324

The blind can be reported to the DMV and they will require an eye examine.

Yeah, call her in. It's all you can do, as no politico will dare do anything about the issue - oldsters vote, and our so-called leaders and officials care more about the gold gained via elected office than doing anything responsible. It's going to be even more fun out there in the next couple decades, too, as youth-obsessed boomers become oldsters, and I'll wager will be very unwilling to give up the keys.

I am very respectful to my grandmother, who is almost 90, and just last year decided to stop driving. A couple little scrapes and ingress/egress problems made up her mind. Smart lady.

@jimi240 said: I shop I used to run had some interesting customers. One seasoned citizen in particular was quite the star. Her husband had passed, but she was still a snowbird, maintaining two vehicles between Ohio and Florida. Every spring- as per her deadThere was no talking her out of driving either, regardless of how unsafe she was.