Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,614
    edited February 18

The wrinkle is that properly warehoused tires aren't unsafe just because they age a few years before they are sold. The more important factors would be years in use and service conditions. Tire Aging – Part #1 (tirerack.com)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,189

I don't think a few years kills tires necessarily - it's rot that can be dangerous. I've seen some scary cracked old tires, or what also seems like it might be iffy to me, tires that have scraped the curb so many times that they look like whitewalls.

For my steel belted flat, I was just maximizing tire life, yeah, that's it :) - at the time, the car could chew through a set of front tires in ~5K miles. That incident led to me finally shelling out the money to have a new kingpin set installed - I got lucky and won a set on ebay cheap ($65 or something, insane), but the labor wasn't cheap.

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,341

Between 1941 & 1946 many were driving with recaps. Compare the safety factor of those with the tire qualities of today. Some politician mandates a life of 7 years for today's better tire. I know, the War speed limit was 35 MPH.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,106
    edited February 18

@elias said: Andre1969, looks like the video shows the violation was that you stopped waaaay beyond the stop-line, rather than stopping twice, once at the stopline and once in/across the crosswalk btw, I've heard of photo-radar tickets but never 'video' like that. maybe go for the frame-by-frame analysis to prove you stopped at the stopline, but on quick viewage, seems like you didn't!

Yeah, I'll admit that I stopped in the crosswalk, although not in the intersection. I was always under the impression that if you could stop in a crosswalk if you were making a turn and there were no pedestrians in it and there were none nearby. I'm defining "intersection" as where the actual traffic lanes intersect, but not the crosswalk. But, apparently they can give you a ticket for stopping in the crosswalk.

I decided to just go ahead and pay the danged thing. They don't give you very long to pay it before doubling the fine. And if I tried to contest the thing and ended up having to take a day off work, I'd end up losing more in time off work than I would re-coup if the ticket was dropped.

Besides, I paid the ticket with a credit card, so I at least get 1.6% cash back on it! B)

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,879

I've heard you can buy some stuff in a spray can that when applied to the license plates, the photo radar cant read your plate numbers.

Probably illegal but what the heck?

Well, I've had a lot of tires that were probably ten or more years old including some I bought used at junkyards when I was young and broke. I never had any kind of an age related problem/

Sure, given enough years tires are bound to deteriorate.

The tire shops must love this!

The best way to solve the expired propane tank situation would be to go to one of the places that sell propane on an exchange basis. The kid at Home Depot won't know and probably won't care.

Now...how do I know this trick.....?

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,106

@isellhondas said: I've heard you can buy some stuff in a spray can that when applied to the license plates, the photo radar cant read your plate numbers.

Probably illegal but what the heck?

Yeah, I've heard of that stuff, along with those "Fresnel" lenses that are supposed to be illegal. But, the first vehicles I see with those lenses almost always have FOP plates on them! Do as I say, not as I do I guess. I thought about buying the spray and see if it really works. However, I've heard that one reason that stuff works is because of the angle that the camera takes the picture from. This particular camera is positioned differently from the typical red light cameras I've seen, so I don't know if it would work or not.

Anyway, I'm going into DC on Friday night. I don't intend to do anything bad, but my tailgate will be down, just in case! ;) I wonder, if I was to run through that same light in my Ram, with the tailgate down, if they would think to look back to see if a matching vehicle had done the same thing in the past? Anyway, I'm not going to test it out! And now that I know how sophisticated those lights are and all the little tricks they can do, I'm going to be a lot more careful. In the past, all they could do was detect that you ran a red light, and to do so they'd take three pictures...one of you entering the intersection while the light was already red, and one of you driving all the way through, and one that showed a closeup of your license plate.

Years ago, I set off a red light camera on Route 3 in Gambrills, MD. I was in my 2000 Intrepid, and it was raining. I knew there was a camera at that intersection. Well, the light turned yellow, and I sort of panicked and hit the brake too hard, and slid a few feet into the intersection, setting off the camera. I never did get a ticket for that one. However, in those days, they'd only give you a ticket for running all the way through an intersection on a red light. Nowadays, I'd probably get one for sliding over the line into the intersection.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,650

@isellhondas said: The best way to solve the expired propane tank situation would be to go to one of the places that sell propane on an exchange basis. The kid at Home Depot won't know and probably won't care.

Now...how do I know this trick.....?

Hahahah. Well, the folks at the propane company here (where I had my 20# tanks re-certified) told me the same thing. The guy said, "next time, you'll be further ahead to just exchange these small tanks for a pre-filled unit. They're really not worth certifying." Another guy pipes up, "yeah, but that big tank is definitely worth it! A lot of guys come in here with expired tanks that are all rusty and worse for wear, and they don't understand why we won't fill them. Yours though - it looks practically new! I can't believe it was made in 2000!"

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941

re stopping in crosswalk, the requirment is that one stop before the line that precedes the crosswalk. the "stop line" is the name for that line, just so you know :|

it is irritating/inconsiderate when people stop sooooo far before the stop line. why do they do that? cluelessness i suppose. especially when the sensor isn't triggered.

as for license plate scanners, sort of a red herring there - they are unavoidable - private citizens will probably be able to deploy them soon, whether cops in various jurisdictions are allowed to do it or not. also would you believe that technology to track all vehicles in a city is available/deployed for quite a while in certain announced cities and probably some unannounced - and it works without reading license plates.

Saw a dope in a GTI make a right turn from a straight only lane, only to be quickly cut off by an equally dopey Highlander that blindly pulled out of a parking lot. Birds of a feather.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,965

@fintail said: Saw a dope in a GTI make a right turn from a straight only lane, only to be quickly cut off by an equally dopey Highlander that blindly pulled out of a parking lot. Birds of a feather.

Funny how the dopes almost never seem to pay for their dopiness

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113

@isellhondas said: High in my list of Inconsiderate Drivers are what I call "Park Waiters". Costco is the worst for this. Even though there are plenty of parking spaces further down the row, when they see a person about to leave, they will sit right in the middle of a lane with their turn signal flashing and wait for the car to finally leave. Often the person leaving has a large load of stuff to out in the car, kids to load into car seats etc and these people still sit there!

If the lot is full, I can see it but what harm is done by having to walk another 100 feet?

Complaint number two are the lazy jerks who can't be bothered to return their carts to the numerous cart return areas. Nope, they will hook them on a curb making hit hard to navigate the corner or simply leave them wherever they feel like!

NOW...I feel better!

Here are two suggested approaches: For Park Waiters - and for those who stand mid-aisle once you're inside Costco - or any store, for that matter - launch into "Please, Don't Just Stand There!" or "My Heart Cries Out Oblivious" in your best singing voice. Gets a laugh and results everytime.

For waylaid carts, whether you saw the [ab]user abandon it or not, a loud "Whose mess is THIS?" is entirely appropriate.

• gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113

How's this for some responsible driving traffic management on the EAST side of the George Washington Bridge?

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/02/21/de-blasio-deflects-questions-about-drivers-actions/?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_newyork

edited February 25

@fintail said: On foot this morning, stopped at a red signed crosswalk because the cross street has green. A woman with a stroller is crossing in the crosswalk on a green signal. An old guy in a Tucson comes up on the cross street, starts to turn right into the crosswalk where the woman was located, and starts gesturing wildly like he thought she was jaywalking and blocking his path. She looked at me funny and said something like "what the hell is wrong with him?", and I laughed. I don't know what was up, but local drivers do have problems with crosswalks, and Bellevue's finest don't seem to want to do anything about it.

No, they would rather sit on Bellevue Way with a radar gun in their hand.

Ha, today that was on 116th. I was on foot there too - the crime fighter had parked on the sidewalk, nearly blocking it, as he hid behind his door with a radar device, trying to pick off low hanging fruit on the slight downhill grade. Oh, it's almost the end of the month, no such thing as quotas I bet.

He was alongside one of his brothers at the construction area linking 4th through 116th to 120th - moderately traveled area, but not too bad at around 0930. In the name of safety, I am sure, expenses be...darned.

@isellhondas said: No, they would rather sit on Bellevue Way with a radar gun in their hand.

Saw a young woman in a RAV4 varying her speed by ~15mph, weaving, braking and accelerating randomly, etc - texting with no shame, phone on the steering wheel. Also while in a crosswalk, had a woman slow down, I swear look right at me, and accelerated right at me. Skills.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,674

Saw a funny post on Yahoo Answers, Car Dep't--a young driver was asking if he could "fight" a ticket he got---seems that he passed a school bus that had blinking lights and a STOP sign out, and in front of the school bus was a cop car. He was wondering if cops are "allowed to hide like that". When someone commented that he might have been just a little zoned out not to notice both a big yellow school bus AND a cop car IN a school zone, he replied "yeah, but the guy behind me did it, too and HE didn't get stopped!"

(me, smacking forehead).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,053

So I am reading your post while drinking hot coffee. ;)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613

@MrShift@Edmunds said: Saw a funny post on Yahoo Answers, Car Dep't--a young driver was asking if he could "fight" a ticket he got---seems that he passed a school bus that had blinking lights and a STOP sign out, and in front of the school bus was a cop car. He was wondering if cops are "allowed to hide like that". When someone commented that he might have been just a little zoned out not to notice both a big yellow school bus AND a cop car IN a school zone, he replied "yeah, but the guy behind me did it, too and HE didn't get stopped!"

(me, smacking forehead).

should be way stiffer than a ticket, IMHO. Hell, I'd love for someone like that to take it to court. I'm sure the judge would have a field day.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Hahaha; yeah, those school buses are difficult to see. Why can't they paint them a color somebody actually sees? Or, better yet, make them big?

My wife passed a stopped bus one time. She was driving along a major arterial (can't say that I agree with the concept of a school bus loading children on a 4-lane, full-speed road in the first place, but I digress) and there was a school bus ahead of her. The school bus starts slowing down a little, then starts braking. So, my wife, still going full speed, changes to the left lane as she closes in on the bus. Lo and behold, there is a second bus directly in front of the first! Yes, this bus has lights flashing (yellows at this point, but it was nearly stopped, so lights turned to red as she's alongside it), which were absolutely blocked by the size of the second bus.

She hit the brakes to slow, but there was no way she could stop in time, so she just bailed on that and traveled through. That was really poor situational awareness on the part of the bus drivers. 1. First bus should have waited for traffic to clear before posting reds, and 2., second bus could have done a great service by activating its yellows to warn traffic behind it.

Thankfully, they only load students from curb-side on that road (rather than forcing them to cross this highway). My wife called the bus barn and told them what happened, to which the dispatcher said, "Are you afraid the bus driver called you in?" She says, "What?! No, I'm concerned that someone could get hurt or killed in situations like that. If you have buses traveling in tandem, I think you should instruct all your drivers to activate their yellow lights to alert drivers whose vision may be impaired by the rear buses that a stop is occurring up ahead."

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,341

When your wife stops behind a blinking school bus - does she turn on her Hazard flashers to warn those behind her?

What an idiot!

Another thing that really bugs me are the people who race up to a stop sign and apply their brakes at the last minute causing the other driver to fear they aren't going to stop at all.

I had a guy do that to me yesterday and I pointed my car at his for a couple of seconds.

I never saw a pair of bigger eyeballs!

@euphonium said: When your wife stops behind a blinking school bus - does she turn on her Hazard flashers to warn those behind her?

Sure, depending on the situation. More typically she (and I) will do that when we approach a dangerous situation ahead that we can see, but others behind us may not yet be able to. If that just happens to be a stopped bus, I don't see us treating it any different... and we don't drive buses.

edited February 28

In Germany, it is not unusual for drivers in traffic jams on the autobahn to use hazards when at the end of the line, to warn approaching fast moving traffic of a quick slowdown.

Regarding school bus stuff, in WA, cars on 3+ lane roads do not have to stop for a bus, when approaching in the opposite/oncoming direction. I don't think it's that way in most places.

Easy drive today, but coming home I got behind a weirdly slow moving Lexus ES, and decided to pace it, for amusement. Eventually I had to turn, and got alongside it. Reason for slowness? Phone to ear, of course.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769

Maybe he could fight the ticket by pointing out that he had carefully calculated his stopping distance relative to the children near the bus, and there would be no problem stopping in time... well, probably not. Also that the design of the road makes it safe to pass a school bus under those conditions, so the law shouldn't apply in his case. And if he fought the ticket, he could make sure the case is heard in a court as far as possible from where the cop's station is, to make it less likely the cop will show up for court. And there's probably other tactics he could try.

Or he could man up and pay the fine.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613

@euphonium said: When your wife stops behind a blinking school bus - does she turn on her Hazard flashers to warn those behind her?

Well, c'mon, I'm sure she is not driving something that would completely obscure a bus.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,463

I've noticed the same practice of the buses behind one picking up children turning on their caution large yellow lights to indicate a hazard.

We recently had a traffic slowdown on the interstate where a work crew was taking down their lighted change lanes rolling sign. A lady slowed her Impala behind the semi and a semi behind her didn't bother slowing. Crushed and rolled her car in front of him across a gore, over an exiting ramp, and onto the other side of the ramp.