Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701

@elias said: go-go-godzilla-san, when i pass you legally on the right will you speed up to try to make it less safe for me to move left again? in many states one is required to drive in rightmost available lane, while also avoiding the left lane except when passing. (cops can take negative note of those who actually follow stay-right-whenever-safe-to-do-so law, however. so be prepared for a brief detention and roadside conversation if you decide to rigorously comply with the drive-in-rightmost-available-lane law in your state!)
    sincerely, ra-ra-rodan

???

You would not need to pass me on the right, as I'd be on the right, if the road was empty. If the lane to the right had someone in it going slower than me, then I'd be on the left, passing. And I'd move over afterwards.

Either way, you wouldn't be able to pass on the right. (either I'd be there... or a slower car than I would be)

• eliaselias Posts: 1,929
    edited May 11

hi, go-go. seems i misintrepreted... in most areas I drive there are 3 lane highways - where most people ignore the stay-right law and drive in the middle, and only use the right lane just after they enter and just before they exit. i had wrongly interpreted that you too were a MLC (middle-lane-controller) and own the middle lane of any 3 lane highway! (by "controlling" a lane, I mean refusing to increase speed.) sorry about casting MLC aspersions at you.
    MLCs seem merely clueless compared to the actively obstinate LLCs.
    Can we agree that the moral/legal authority goes to the rare honorable RLCs - the right-lane-controllers who go whatever-speed in the right lane? I aspire to be among the RLCs and do my best to stay in the right lane whenever required and pavement allows. some of us right-lane people prefer tooling at 45 in right lane, which is often the minimum legal speed. me, 74.999 or 79.999 . best regards...

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,858
    edited May 11

I'll camp in the middle lane a lot, especially if I'm in an unfamiliar urban area with traffic. Too often lanes will shift and you'll wind up in an exit lane and have to jockey to merge left. Or you'll wind up running up someone's tailpipe as they cut you off trying to merge themselves (on ramp campers?).

I'll stay in the right lane when the three lanes aren't busy, but there's really not too many stretches of freeway that I drive like that. It's good always having a shoulder escape route though.

Plenty of differing viewpoints about MLCs, even from driving schools and state officials:

driversed.com

jmpdrivingschool.com

oregonlive.com (“The left lane is for passing,” said Andrew Crites, program coordinator at Salem’s Oregon Driver Education Center. “The right lane is for exiting and slower traffic. And the middle lane is for traveling the speed limit. “There’s an unwritten agreement that we work together on the highway,” said Troy Costales, ODOT’s safety division administrator. “Yes, there’s a speed limit. But if you’re all of suddenly causing turbulence in the traffic flow or other people at risk, moving over to the right is a courtesy maneuver.”)

Looks like the level of indignation about MLCs is higher in England than here. So far.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,731

I prefer to stay in the middle lane too, in urban areas with many entrance/exit ramps. Then I don't have to constantly change lanes to avoid merging traffic. When in the middle lane I go at least the speed limit if traffic/weather permit it.

On interstates or other main highways with only 2 lanes each direction, I like to stay in the right lane and when traffic/weather allow set the cruise (when I have it, one of my cars doesn't have it!) to the speed limit or just over, depending on how traffic is flowing in the right lane.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,858

In another 20 years, our autonomous cars will solve these problems and we'll just get into "trains" to get across town or across the state.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,050

Maybe they'll make defective autonomous cars for bad drivers, so that they feel at home? :)

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,263
    edited May 11

If there are 3 or more lanes, I drive in whichever lane suits me best. I read both links in Steve's post as to opinions from people in driving training companies, but I'm not impressed.

What I see if the same as the group that thinks everyone should be out of their way so they can travel in whichever lane however fast they choose to travel, usually over the speed limit. The group is wanting to tell everyone else how to drive and where to drive without taking on responsibility and accountability for their own actions.

I drove to Columbus and back for lunch with our son. 3 lanes. I was in the middle or right lane and below the speed limit of 70/70 which is too fast. Heavy rain showers in places and some people wouldn't slow down especially in the left of 3 lanes. It could have been a glacier oozing over the interstate due to global cooling and they wouldn't have slowed down. Others did.

Where did I nearly get wiped out by an inconsiderate driver? A strip of urban freeway next to The OSU campus when a lady in a black sentra decided to change into my middle lane from the right lane. Luckily I have a sharp, loud horn.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,810

Drove home today - as expected, state highways were a breeze, no annoyances other than the lack of signal use which is becoming somewhat of an Americanism. But when I got to 405 - LLC haven. Went around 3 of them in 10 miles, worst being a woman in a white Prius with California plates who would sometimes crawl along in the left lane - then sometimes hit the limit (but still obstruct flow, with nobody beside her). Other LLCs were an old couple in a Windstall and a yuppiecouple in a LR4 who were busily conversing and not paying attention to the world around them. Also saw a C-class make an abrupt multi lane cut across to get to an exit.

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    edited May 12

Today was a bright, sunny, pleasant day. Perfect road conditions, even.

And yet, today... probably 1 in 5 drivers were driving FAR below the speed limit.

Posted 50mph speed limit? Best speed... 35mph. Posted 65mph speed limit? Best speed... 45mph, in the passing lane.

And I saw the effects this had on those with short tempers. A Camaro and a Mercedes, both, darting in an out of lanes, desperately trying to get around them. Darting forward, braking, rapid lane shifts...

All to pass the morass generated by ONE driver.

Should they have calmed down? YES!!!

Should the slowpoke going 45mph in the passing lane of I-95 moved right? YES!!!

(I'd hazard that, from my experience in life, one 'bad turn' generated by someone tends to be returned by others affected by it.)

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333

On a 3 lane freeway: Outside lane for trucks & semis. Middle lane for mature, relaxed upscale vehicles. Left, inside lane is for blocking maniacs in a hurry. This is what I conclude after driving I-5 in WA & 680 in CA.

with lots of exits & blind entrances in urban area, of course it makes sense to stay in middle lane. the law is to drive in rightmost lane available safely, not to do so when it's unsafe!

i did a bunch of of 3-lane intersate driving yesterday. 99% right & middle lane.
    I prefer to wait longer behind the middle lane campers and then pass them on the right, leaving left lane for the tailgators. Especially when a road is very busy.

interesting point euphonium re I-5 and the semis in left lane. (semis are prohibited from left lane on most east coast highways.)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,432

Same perfect driving conditions here this morning and yet, on one of the straightest, smoothest roads in the state, 6 cars managed to collide in 1 accident. I don't know the details, but stupidity was obviously the cause.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

edited May 12

Out this morning - saw a Lexus ES try to exit a gas station where there wasn't an exit, the car crashed to the ground with a horrible crunch. Then saw a Cruze try to round a corner, cut it close, hopped the sidewalk. Then got behind a 94-95 E320 that was going slow, "driver" holding phone - when he started to turn at 3mph, I hit the horn. Then at Costco, a headscarf wearer in an Odyssey who was treating the parking lot like a road and being a bit too speedy and aggressive - funny as that wonderful demographic usually panics and freezes up when other cars are near. Finished it off with a middle aged woman in a Sonic who dawdled on a free turn, then once on the road went about helf the speed limit, weaving between lanes. When I went by I tooted the horn, she gave me the finger, I laid on the horn - she then went so slow that she eventually vanished, and I wasn't going above the limit. Nice to see the "discretion" being used by our brave warrior class in fighting distracted driving.

• jjackson12jjackson12 Posts: 36

I got beeped at yesterday, a good 2 or 3 second blast.

It seems I was inconsiderate when I stopped to allow a middle aged guy pushing a wheelchair across the perimeter road of a parking lot. Mother's Day, the restaurant was packed and many were forced to park in the grocery store lot. Upon leaving the parking lot, I got flipped off while our impatient driver raced down the road to get back on schedule.

You have a lot of gall stopping for a guy in a wheelchair! Next time just run over him... "decrease the surplus population"! You don't want those Very Important People in the vehicles behind you to have to wait a few seconds--their time is valuable!!

;)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,508

Yeah, that's just unconscionable, Jackson! :p

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341

@imidazol97 said: If there are 3 or more lanes, I drive in whichever lane suits me best. I read both links in Steve's post as to opinions from people in driving training companies, but I'm not impressed.

What does it take to impress you?

What I see if the same as the group that thinks everyone should be out of their way so they can travel in whichever lane however fast they choose to travel, usually over the speed limit. The group is wanting to tell everyone else how to drive and where to drive without taking on responsibility and accountability for their own actions.

All drivers essentially choose to drive however fast or slow they want to given they aren't impeded or pushed by others. The speed limit has nothing to do with how fast most drivers drive, unless a cop or enforcement is regularly visible. Do they not take responsibility for their own actions by purchasing their car, insurance, liability insurance, ect? Assuming they are an upstanding legal driver with a legal driver's license and adequate insurance, it seems to me they are taking responsibility for their own actions.

I drove to Columbus and back for lunch with our son. 3 lanes. I was in the middle or right lane and below the speed limit of 70/70 which is too fast. Heavy rain showers in places and some people wouldn't slow down especially in the left of 3 lanes. It could have been a glacier oozing over the interstate due to global cooling and they wouldn't have slowed down. Others did.

Some of those cars may have high capabilities and brand new tires with deep tread and high quality wet performance. Rain in those conditions doesn't do much to hamper the vehicle's safe travel of speed. However, there are many driving a 3 ton SUV with old balding tires in the rain that should be slowing down far more than they do.

Out on foot today - noticed a distinct lack of signals. Must be more of the thread of "discretion" in action. Best phone fiddlers - woman in an R-class dawdling on green - I was able to shout "hang up" from the curb, another woman in an Accord doing similar, she then pulled out directly in front of oncoming traffic and got a nice long honk. And the best was what I am pretty sure was a woman holding a phone to her ear, cop on traffic duty at a construction site (I hope the inherited empire developer has to pay for this) just shakes his head and points - I suppose he couldn't do much on foot. Takes a lot of gall to approach a cop while driving with a phone to your ear - unless you know nothing will be done, or are simply oblivious.

Observed inconsiderate--also dangerous--driving by a motorcycle rider today during morning rush hour. I was in a dedicated right turn lane, waiting for a procession of cars driving down the right lane of the other road. To complicate things, there's a cross road a couple hundred feet up and many of these oncoming cars are turning right onto that road, while I need to merge left to get out of the dedicated right turn lane. So I wait patiently. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a blur--a motorcycle has squeezed past me on my right, using that "imaginary lane" some people like to use, and is attempting to squeeze in ahead of me. Good thing I saw him before I moved forward. Motorcycles are entitled to the same rights and privileges as any other motor vehicle, but they need to follow traffic laws too.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,750

Another red light runner yesterday! That makes THREE I've seen in the past couple of weeks!

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,798

@backy said: Observed inconsiderate--also dangerous--driving by a motorcycle rider today during morning rush hour. I was in a dedicated right turn lane, waiting for a procession of cars driving down the right lane of the other road. To complicate things, there's a cross road a couple hundred feet up and many of these oncoming cars are turning right onto that road, while I need to merge left to get out of the dedicated right turn lane. So I wait patiently. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a blur--a motorcycle has squeezed past me on my right, using that "imaginary lane" some people like to use, and is attempting to squeeze in ahead of me. Good thing I saw him before I moved forward. Motorcycles are entitled to the same rights and privileges as any other motor vehicle, but they need to follow traffic laws too.

Not sure of the rules in your state, but here in CA the law specifically allows Motorcycles to do exactly that, provided it is safe. They can pass inside the lanes. Technically they are not supposed to do it at speed, but they still do it on the freeways as well. Considering how dangerous it is to drive a motorcycle in LA, I suppose they deserve some kind of additional benefit (if that is what one could call it).

But passing on the right on a motorcycle in a dedicated right turn lane is just plain dumb. I rode big bikes for over 20 years and I didn't survive by doing stuff like that!

edited May 16

Yeah, there's a time and place for lane splitting - I don't know if that was it.

Lane splitting can be a dramatic subject. I don't think I want to see it around Seattle - the ordinary driver simply isn't attentive enough.

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333

When observing a lane splitter coming from the rear, just energize your turn signal toward the lane he is splitting.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,508

I had a guy on a Harley "split lanes" on me once as I was driving my old '69 pickup with about 9,000 #s on a trailer and approaching a red traffic light. I was going about 20-25 mph and had already timed the slowing vs. distance available. But, no, here comes this yahoo on the bike squeezing between me and a semi on the left. He then promptly dodges back into the right lane (in front of me) and stops. Well, I laid on that truck's brakes for all they had (drum brakes on all wheels fade rapidly under pressure) and managed to stop about 6" shy of biker paste.

Honestly, had I not been driving a vehicle so dear to me, I may not have been able to stop in time. I suspect that even a small bump from behind could be memorable for a biker not wearing a helmet. But, hey, at least the guy ended up one vehicle ahead on the road; he was able to carry on in his blissful ignorance of that brush with injury.

Lane splitting is legal in more developed countries, and strangely enough, California. Making abrupt maneuvers to block a legal splitter in such places might be a poor choice, as many motorcycle riders use cameras now. However, I think most people who are actually observant wouldn't be the problem, it'd be those who have poor situational awareness to begin with. I wouldn't want to split lanes with a Bellevue Range Rover on one side of me and a Kirkland X5 on the other.

Dumb Harley rider also wasn't wearing a helmet? Shocking! That scene would have been a hot knife through butter.

Oh, didn't you know that helmets are dangerous because it restricts vision and hearing? And that "loud pipes save lives"? For more ding-dong reasoning, consult your local headless neighbor.

edited May 17

I saw a good one - maybe a shirt or sticker that said something like "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what you could do if you learned to ride that thing".

More of that "discretion" at work, perhaps - is anything less considerate? I guess it's par for the course in what is getting dangerously close to an oligocracy in its belle epoque, the golden rule.

Tonight's fun ones - dumb taxi drivers. I won't elaborate.

@euphonium said: When observing a lane splitter coming from the rear, just energize your turn signal toward the lane he is splitting.

Darwin award nomination to anyone who tries that..

7 DUIs? Why doesn't the DA tear up his license before he kills someone?

Having ridden motorcycles myself for so long, I'm never aggressive with them no matter how vile their behavior toward me---I figure that with a really bad attitude on a motorcycle, there is no way that driver is going to avoid surgery and dental work in the near future. A person simply cannot tweak the nose of Mr. Death day after day and expect things to work out in their favor.