Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,375

@stever said: I would have moved over. :)

I was moving over. But I didn't know if there was someone in the 3rd lane. I had been cruising in the middle lane at 63-65 mph and a few trucks had been moving in the right lane at 63-70 (speed limit was 65). I hadn't been watching the 3rd lane so I was trying to check mirrors and watch a trailer move toward my right side.

As the truck started to come over I saw dual tractor wheels coming at my right front fender. I moved to the left of the lane and kept drifting over as I applied my brakes as the trucker kept coming. I blew my horn and then he blew his horn.

As I said to the safety manager, all he had to do was apply his brakes and lose 5 mph and he would have satisfied the ORC suggestion to move over OR slow down when safety vehicle on side of road. The horn beep was the last straw for me.

On the other hand, many truckers move over to allow folks here to ramp onto the interstate when the new folks just need to speed up/slow down to match speeds and merge into an empty slot. This is especially true with a ramp that comes uphill while the interstate goes downhill and then the ramp changes pitch at the top and starts the merge. Many folks don't look back until they have started the merge. I usually have all 205 hp accelerating my Buick if I need to get to 65 and into a slot. But often the truckers don't expect a leSabre to actually be driven and speed up: they move over unnecessarily.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296

Mirror check, no one in third lane, I move over.

If I'm stuck on the shoulder, I'm happier if the cars and semis move over, less happy if they stay in the right lane going 60 instead of 65.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,974

Oops, someone was inconsiderate - this is right down the street from me, and I didn't hear a thing. If the story ends up vanishing into thin air, I'll wager who was at fault (it's hard to tell right now, as BMW drivers and the local brave warrior class both have kind of an iffy rep around here).

Endless amounts of non-signalers and phone players on the road today, as usual.

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,338

Our weekend included Des Moines, Bothell, Cougar Mt., Redmond, & Bellevue. We survived without any inconsiderate drivers & appreciated the commuters who let us change lanes during their commute so we could get on 405 from 90.

405 is best traveled on weekends, and north of Renton. Weekdays, a parking lot.

Today spotted numerous phone yappers/holders, including a dope on a bicycle texting or gaming as he slowly and somewhat shakily rode along.

@euphonium said: Our weekend included Des Moines, Bothell, Cougar Mt., Redmond, & Bellevue. We survived without any inconsiderate drivers & appreciated the commuters who let us change lanes during their commute so we could get on 405 from 90.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296

Drove through the heart of Denver around 3pm today and it wasn't bad at all (I was riding shotgun). Going on the small roads with lots of grades, no one was overly anxious to get around me, although the van was moving up the hills okay.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

edited August 29
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,967
    edited August 29

"Weaving" has ben vilified unjustly. Keep in mind a "road boulder" that does not "keep right except to pass" sets up an obstacle course for road boulders that follow. It also violates one basic , but almost totally ignored law. Failing to keep right except to pass also is a SAFETY issue. So for example, for each road boulder that one passes, one is ahead by the distance and time it took to pass the road boulder under those specific conditions. So to me, it also makes a certain amount of sense.

Weaving & lane splitting is equal to LLC. Both violate traffic laws, but having a LLC in front of you is not an excuse to weave and speed. LLC at the speed limit enables others to be reminded what the speed limit is & if towing, your limit is less. In WA, towers are forbidden to be in the 3rd (inside) lane, but tell that to the drivers of 500,000 dollar motor coaches!

Lane splitting only works in crazy areas like CA or the less developed world, or first world areas where drivers are properly trained, like Germany.

LLCers are not in a position to remind others of the speed limit, and should not do so, or someone might take exception and end their idiotic cruise, permanently. What a loss that would be. Only in Murka and Canuckistan is it defended.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748

Some weaving makes absolutely no sense to me. Case in point: the other day I was keeping up with the flow of traffic in the right lane of a freeway. An SUV was tailgating me. Then it swerved into the next lane and dashed past me, only to immediately swerve back into the right lane just ahead of me and... exit. Thus all his swerving and surging gained him all of one second. How much do you want to bet this same driver complains about not getting the EPA fuel economy numbers?

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701

@backy said: Some weaving makes absolutely no sense to me. Case in point: the other day I was keeping up with the flow of traffic in the right lane of a freeway. An SUV was tailgating me. Then it swerved into the next lane and dashed past me, only to immediately swerve back into the right lane just ahead of me and... exit. Thus all his swerving and surging gained him all of one second. How much do you want to bet this same driver complains about not getting the EPA fuel economy numbers?

What that example illustrates is that people, if it's possible, will drive at the speed they want to drive. In your example, that driver wanted to drive faster than you... and did.

edited August 30

I almost never weave around at all, due to laziness and worry. Changing lanes in traffic around here is a risk and can be work, as you never know when the dope beside you will want to change at the same time, with no signal. It often doesn't gain time, either - as it isn't like this is an evolved driving environment where lanes mean anything.

On the road this evening - X3 had random signal usage, random speeds above and below limit, Princeton plate frame that is so impressive. BMW E61 Touring dawdled at a light, another BMW veered around, then the wagon floored it to ensure not being passed. BMW drivers...keep the stereotypes alive. Then I got to cringe for just a second as an old man in a CRV, pulling into a parking lot I was exiting, decided mid-turn to stop turning and move directly towards me. He then stopped, I pulled out. Maybe he was an old semi driver who forgot what he was driving. Didn't see as many phone users as usual, and traffic was light, that's nice.

• eliaselias Posts: 1,937

what's the definition of 'weaving'?

is "weaving" the same as changing lanes more than once in a certain time T or distance X?

what are T and X?

I may have weaved for 2600 miles back and forth to new-smyrna-beach in May. i prefer passing on the right whenever the right lane is open/clear, and it's not new jersey. (NJ is one of the few states which outlaw passing on the right except when traffic is in 'long columns' in every lane.)

btw, "road boulders" is a funny term. heh.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    edited August 30

@gogogodzilla said: What that example illustrates is that people, if it's possible, will drive at the speed they want to drive. In your example, that driver wanted to drive faster than you... and did.

That's right. He got to drive at a faster speed than me for all of 2-3 seconds, and he gained an extra second in his day... unless he hit the stop light at the top of the exit ramp, in which case he gained no time at all. He also burned more gas than if he'd maintained a steady speed before exiting. I hope all that made his day.

edited September 3

I had an F30 3er behind me for most of my evening commute today - I swear it never signaled. Must have not been part of their option packages. Also saw a good amount of other non-signalers, and a new Range Rover actually using signals. Traffic volumes seemed light today, and less noticeable phone yappers than usual An E55 going maybe 50+ in a 30 rounded out the fun.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,582

@fintail said: a new Range Rover actually using signals.

Must be a custom after-market install?

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,780

I have no idea why this is happening but in the past month or so I have seen more people drive through red lights than I've seen in my entire life! Two in the past two days!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279

I never even presume that anyone is going to stop for a stop sign or a red light. I enter my car dressed for combat. I assume they are all out to kill me and might even enjoy doing so.

I think this comes from 20 years of riding motorcycles and now bicycles :)

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,967
    edited September 3

@Mr_Shiftright said: I never even presume that anyone is going to stop for a stop sign or a red light. I enter my car dressed for combat. I assume they are all out to kill me and might even enjoy doing so.

I think this comes from 20 years of riding motorcycles and now bicycles :)

Your post makes PERFECT sense to me, even as some would see this as EXTREME !

In CA, going through a red light or stop sign is known as a "CA stop".

Yes, I do not consider being unscathed after 48 years of driving to be purely luck !! To those that do, might I suggest that if folks are ADVERTISING, it is BEST to pay attention and ACT accordingly. One's life might literally depend on that.

I know it sounds like paranoia, but that's not my frame of mind--I call it "awareness". It's like what you feel when you're playing a video game and objects or people are jumping out at you---it's both fun and yes, a bit scary at times.

My attitude is, if you emerge unscathed after 40 years or so of driving 2 and 4 wheelers all around the country and parts of the world, you cannot merely chalk that up to LUCK!

This is why I got rid of my motorcycle years ago.

I got so scared and paranoid that riding was no longer fun.

I HATE it when people race up to a stop sign and stop at the last second. I always think they are going to run the stop sign and I react accordingly. Not so bad in a car but on a motorcycle it's downright scary.

What is the most common ethinicity of drivers running lights & signs? Who do you especially look out for?

I see people run lights every day that I am on foot. Some of them breeze through stale reds. No risk of a ticket (nor one for phone yapping, not signaling, going through an occupied green signaled crosswalk, etc), why not?

I don't see any ethnic trends for light running - it seems to be a cultural universal. Some driving behaviors seem to fit stereotypes, however.

Maybe malfunctioning hazard lights.

@xwesx said:

Another red light runner just yesterday! Where are the cops when this happens?

Hey Fintail,

The red light that I see run on a regular basis is the one by the Holiday Inn in Issaquah near where we live. I NEVER move on a green light until I hesitate and look to see what's coming!

My purely subjective and probably wrong opinion is that young women are the worst offenders.

edited September 5

The lights I see run on a regular basis are most of them in downtown Bellevue - people going through really late on turn arrows can be a problem, too.

For gender based stuff, what I see in my anecdotal observations is common sense - males are more often fast and reckless, females slow and idiotic. A CLK-driving woman I saw today making a poorly situated U--turn drove that home for me today. Both seem equally likely to be phone yappers, but women maybe more likely to be texting or similar while "driving". Phone abuse also seems to center around appliance boxes or prestige cars, especially the flamboyant ones, and maybe SUVs/fake SUVs/trucks, too. I rarely seem to see it in a 3 year old Accord or Malibu, but bring up a clapped out Accent/lifted brotruck/Range Rover or similar and the odds seem to increase.

On the road today, another day where enforcement of phone and signal laws could probably cure the national debt. But according to those with piles of responsibility and accountability, speed kills, so that's where the effort should go. Right.

@isellhondas said: Hey Fintail,

The red light that I see run on a regular basis is the one by the Holiday Inn in Issaquah near where we live. I NEVER move on a green light until I hesitate and look to see what's coming!