Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Cobra and SVT Cobra

boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
edited March 23 in Ford
Check out this link: http://www.bonforums.com/mustang/cobra_03presskit/

390 hp - Supercharged

390 torque

6 speed transmission

Comments

• what is the price?
  • $35-36k for the 'vert =)
  • sounds like somebody is trying to steal some sales from the Nissan lots:)
  • rezo00rezo00 Posts: 103
    a 3200lb $26k 300hp nissan vs a 3700lb $36k 390hp supercharged ford?
    did we get the $36k figure?
  • Well, you are comparing the price of a base model 350Z to the price of the most top of the line convertable Mustang Cobra. Not a fair comparison in price. The top of the line 350Z is around 34k.

I would imagine the 350Z 'vert would cost about the same as this car.
  • Is that the vert cause that sound like a lot.
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Where are we getting any of these prices?? How much for the base Cobra then?
    If the 2001 with 320hp was did 0-60 in 5.4
    What will this bad boy do??
  • The price is the estimate from the March Issue of Motor Trend magazine for the 2003 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible.
    moter trend always underestimates price. And you can get the same engine in a 350Z at 26k as you can at 33k, you cant with the mustang...and the non convertable weighs 3660lbs, the convertable is 3760lbs acording to ford.
  • rezo00 - You said that the non-convertible weighs 3660lbs - where did you get that number? I know you referenced Ford in your post, but which publication. Most numbers I've seen for the GT/Cobra models have been around the 3300-3400lb range.

Just curious.
    www.blueovalnews.com

http://www.bonforums.com/mustang/cobra_03presskit/

download the press kit and weep below.

http://68.37.56.97/2003Cobra/03Cobra.pdf

when are you people going to learn that I never BS.
    What are you referring to??
    The first link you gave I already gave to start out the forum.

The second is just the pdf file - what are we supposed to be looking for? The only thing you've stated is your guess (supposedly not BS) for weight and price. I see niether in that file. Am I missing something here??
  • I thought the numbers seemed a little curious - and still do. I realize that BlueOvalNews is a somewhat credible source of information and that their articles are usually spot-on. I'm actually a big fan of the organization. However, I remain a Doubting Thomas.

The current generation Mustang GT weighs in at 3241lbs. What about this new model would make it such a porker? Where do the extra 400+ lbs come from? Is it from the supercharger/intercooler, the bigger wheels and tires, the brakes or just a nickle-and-dime combination of all these components? I will be very disappointed if that weight figure is accurate.

BTW, I wasn't "calling you" on the numbers - I was just wondering where they came from.
    and look at it before commenting dipstick. you obviously didnt go to the first link or you would see the pdf file at blueovalnews.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Go to the first link.

Click on specifications.

Scroll to the bottom.

Look at the curb weight.

Its right there.

I wonder why so heavy? Do superchargers add that much weight?
  • I know it wasn't directed at me, but you can dispense with the "dipstick" comments. Let's try to keep this civil........
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I agree with everyone else about weight, 500lbs is a lot of weight to pull out of nowhere. I wonder if they've upped the ante on feature content or seriously stiffened up the chassis.

In any case, at this price point wow is all I can say. Convertible, killer looks, killer power and the stock cars aren't too well built but Ford's SVTs enjoy a pretty solid reputation for durability and fit-and-finish.

If this is real and is produced for that price in reasonable numbers, then kudos to Ford.
    You need to READ the posts before commenting. I think I went to the first link since I posted it myself in the initial post when I started this forum.

Get it straight and talk about the cars here!
    Yes, let's try to keep this civil.
  • f1julesf1jules Posts: 288
    The new Cobra has an iron block instead of aluminum so that will add some weight. Also the supercharger and all the plumbing for the intercooler would have to add a few lbs. Even with the extra weight this car should be a screamer if the hp numbers are correct.

Heck, the crapmaro weighs about 3500lbs so with 200lbs more weight and 80 more hp that's a trade I'm willing to make.
  • The current generation Mustang GT weighs in at 3200-3300lbs with an iron block. So I still don't understand why the new Cobra has become such a porker - although the addition of an iron block certainly won't help keep weight down.

All that extra weight is not going to have positive impact on handling and braking. Even so, the new Cobra does look to be an outstanding performance car - I'm just a little disappointed with its excessive heft.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    True, the SOHC GT has an iron block. Add DOHC heads the before mentioned supercharger/intercooler, IRS rear, heavier T56 6 speed trans and I'm thinking 3-400 pounds sounds about correct over a standard GT.

I "think" the '03 Cobra is around 200 pounds heavier than a current Cobra. Block, trans and charger easily account for that.

BTW, my MINT '97 Cobra is now officially for sale!!!!
    http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/? srv=parser&act=display&tf=/

features/autoshow2002/coverage/chicago/posted/

coverage_02_07_3.tmpl

You'll have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser. I couldn't post the exact link since it was too long.

"SVT Mustang Cobra will be able to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds"

That blue is a sweet looking color!

Around $35,000 is the word.

Isn't that too much for a Mustang? Even a Cobra?
  • Leave it to Ford to make sure Mustang topped Camaro in the "Final Round". But I also think there was another model besides Camaro that Ford Had to worry about and thus the big boost in power for the Cobra. Of course I'm talking about the Mach-1. With it's Cobra engine and "live" axel
    the Mach would have bested the Cobra in straight line performance, probably the only thing that matters to most of us 'Stangers anyway. Too bad for those bow tie boys. They must watch in agony as GM kills off thier car while we bask in the glow of the best Mustangs ever produced. There was a rumor a while back that the current generation Mustang would be sent off to pasture with a limited run of Boss 302 reincarnations for '04. (4.6's stroked to 5.0) Haven't read anything lately. Is this project shelved.
    Maybe ford is trying to convince those camaro and firebird fans to come aboard. The combined sales of people who buy base mustangs and people who buy top spec camaros would be a good combination.
  • no way are true ls1 fans going to buy a 36G ford. They would rather save 5 extra G and get the next vette
    36G? For the convertible isn't it? Camaro SS's were well in to the 30 grand mark weren't they?
  • the + is for the options im sure they will have, yeah the SS was just below the 30G mark, 6 grand less...also it is possible to talk doen corvette chevy dealers, its not possible to talk down something more limeted like a cobra, and besides who would want that 3660 lb monster anyway...its a brick

Not to mention they will blow up if struck from behind
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/01/30/mustang.htm
This discussion has been closed.