Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
"CrossTrainer is a member of a new breed of vehicles called crossovers because they combine traits of sedans, vans and sport-utility vehicles into one machine. The results is much like a station wagon that resembles an SUV."

This link will die in a few weeks but more will follow.

CrossTrainer... hmmm. I may wait for the Chevy Swoosh.

Steve
Host
SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Comments

• nextmoonnextmoon Posts: 386
    Ford did a great job on the exterior and it looks really cool. Though it would have been better if they got this model ready sooner than '04. Only thing I don't like all that much is the low glass height of the surrounding glass.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Posts: 338
    This reminds me of a one of a kind done by car and driver about 5 years ago, or even longer. They took a Taurus wagon, put the SHO V8, 5 speed and all wheel drive in it and did a test. I wrote Ford and told them to add my name to any list for this vehicle if they ever built it. Guess they finally figured out it was a good idea, less the V8. We should just be happy that Jack Nasser is not involved in it with how he screwed up Ford.
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    to Jac Nasser, just a little bit. If Ford is gonna sell this vehicle in '03 or '04, the initial design would have started in '99~'00, right in the middle of Jac's reins. Now, let's just hope he hasn't already screwed this up.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    There was a thread for the Crosstrainer started in the station wagon section. Since Ford is going to build this vehicle can we get them linked?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    There was a flurry of interoffice emails about linking the Wagons & SUVs Cross Trainer discussions after your post and then it dropped off the radar. Still a good idea, or maybe just send all the discussion over to Wagons?

Steve
    Host
    I'm married and know what it's like to go unheard. Just kidding, my wife is an incredible woman and I'm not that thin skinned.

If we send everyone over to wagons, somebody will get missed. As the vehicle gets closer to production and more people get interested the thread is bound to be started up again in the SUV section. If it is at all possible it would be nice to have the two threads linked, IMO.

Now let's see if I get treated like a 'shroom again.:)
    Well, Spring Break and all - don't hold your breath:-)

Steve
    Host
    Well, we're linked to Wagons. Now there are two CrossTrainer discussions to really confuse everyone. Oh Revka!

Steve
    Host
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and it's now taken care of. ;-)

So what's up with the Ford CrossTrainer? Anyone have any more news...?

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    Revka- Considering this is going to be Fords next big move, with the Crosstrainer and 500, there certainly hasn't been a great deal of buzz. The most information I found was from the Australian Auto Show website. Granted it isn't due for over a year but I would suspect there will be new information coming out soon.
  • Well seeing as there have been no actual photos of cars, that's probably why people aren't posting.

Despite Ford's obvious quality control problems, they know how to make a good product. They'll be one of the first brands with this style of high sedan (500) and the Cross-trainer seems to be poised to be similar to the Pacifica. Even though the Crosstrainer will more than likely be duller than the Pacifica in the looks department, I bet it sells twice as many.

They are making a Focus-based big wagon, sort of like a minivan. I wonder if this is coming over here, also...
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    In today's (5/17/01)Chicago Sun-Times, there is a sneek preview of the X Trainers front end. It looks like an Explorer with a less massive front bumper and sits lower than the truck based SUV's.

The pic isn't in their website, unfortunately.
    Have you got a scanner? Do you know somebody that does? Can somebody else help out on this? I thought it would be the vehicle that was shown at the Australian Auto show.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    get cross posted to this board (and SUV board for that matter)?

Are you folks in capable of telling the difference? Like that idiot that cannot tell that the Toyota Corolla Matrix wagon is a station wagon?

Please... avoid the "everything's an SUV or crossover vehicle" marketing hype. It's a station wagon, plain and simple. Even if it has AWD. The subaru wagon and AMC wagons had 4wd and no one had trouble telling the difference. Their only called "Sport Utility" in hopes of selling a few more cars to SUV types.

(Not that there's anything wrong with SW's. I love em. Just don't tell me its a van and an SUV also.)
    First, if these board offend you, stay off of them.

Second, there is no need to call someone an idiot. That person could very easily make you look like a fool in another subject.

Third, what defines a SUV isn't as clear as it was even 5 years ago. I could probably list 5 vehicles that you would classify as an SUV but are built like cars or station wagons. Sometimes even sharing components and platforms.

Your input is nice, but the personal comments are unwarranted.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Incapable is one word.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...hands! (Two words ;-)

I think we can all agree that mrnimmo was just having a bad day and we'd all like to get back to discussing real issues.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I see that Ford is putting together a supplier park next to their plant in the Chicago area for this vehicle. Not without some controversy though.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4922

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Please check your yahoo email. Also, feel free send me an email me if you have any questions/comments. And now back to the subject of the Ford CrossTrainer. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards