Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• foonafoona Member Posts: 18
    Some questions if you don't mind, I'm looking at a 2006 SEL with Comfort Package....

Includes 8-way power driver seat, dual zone electronic automatic temperature control, outside temperature display, 4-way power passenger seat and passenger manual lumbar.

Does the drivers seat have the memory option for 2 settings like advertised on the Limited?

With 60/40 middle seat, is there an armrest in the middle which folds out? I think the buckets with center console would be more comfortable for middle seat but finding that in SEL seems tough.
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    Good SEL questions.

First, there is not memory for SEL seat/mirror settings. Lumbar is manual for the driver seat too.

I don't know about an armrest in the second row bench seat. Someone else here might. :shades:
  • bobnu75bobnu75 Member Posts: 21
    No armrest in SEL w/60/40 middle seat.
  • ramj70ramj70 Member Posts: 28
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but the freestlye will continued to be produced by Ford according to this detroitnews article. This is from an article on the restyling of the 500 and mentions the freestlye at the end.

Sources in the company say the new design will be unveiled early next year, probably at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Ford also plans to unveil redesigned versions of the Montego and Freestyle at the Chicago Auto Show next February.

The automaker had planned to kill the Freestyle next year and use the same platform for a new Mercury crossover. However, that plan has been scrapped as part of Ford's rethinking of its North American product strategy.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/AUTO01/604070379/1148-
  • springer03springer03 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the Ford part number for these yet?
    I saw were they are an option now on the 2007 model order sheet.
    If you go to the "www.fordaccessoriesstore.com", you can find them in pairs. The part number is XF2Z-16A550-AC, but do double check that. It should be the same number as a dealer would have. :shades:
  • vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    Sorry, these are the "flat molded" mudflaps that have been available since summer 2005. I have 2 sets of these on my FS. I believe the request is for the new "contoured" and paintable mudflaps that will be available for the 2007 models this fall. The new style mudflaps are not available from Ford Parts yet. My dealer said maybe in August or September.
    Ah yes, flat mudflaps they are. But when the molded ones are available, you can get the part number from the fordaccessoriesstore.com. :shades:
    The latest Motor Trend describes the new 2007 Camaro convertible as weighing at an estimated 4000 pounds - the same as a Freestyle. Good engineering by the Ford engineers. :shades:
  • brewthombrewthom Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2005 freestyle yesterday with a 6 cd player. Is there any way to get the shuffle setting to shuffle ALL cds? It just does one at a time. I'd like it to shuffle all 6. :confuse:
    Not exactly sure, I haven't tried it myself. You might want to try and open up the menu button or check out the manual, it should help.
  • xnappoxnappo Member Posts: 47
    No, there isn't (it would actually be annoying considering how long it takes it to switch discs).

We always use MP3 CDs - shuffling 1 MP3 CD = 12 normal CDs.

xnappo
  • freestylegalfreestylegal Member Posts: 70
    I've got a 2005 SEL also and when I shuffle one, it remains on for all of them until I turn that feature off; I don't do anything special...hmmmmm, I wonder why mine does and your doesn't. I know that the 6-CD players were problematical and lots were switched out. Maybe it can be reprogrammed somehow? Mine was never switched out. It had lots of "bad disc" errors and skips at the when I first got the car, but 18 months and 40k miles later, hardly ever any problems with it. Weird. I'm still loving my Freestyle--long and happy ownership to you! :shades:
  • xnappoxnappo Member Posts: 47
    Freestylegal - I think he means that it doesn't shuffle between CDs - it won't do:
    disc 4 - track 3
    disc 2 - track 9
    disc 3 - track 7
    etc...

It stays on a disc and shuffles that disc and then when done moves to the next disc... Right?

xnappo
  • freestylegalfreestylegal Member Posts: 70
    Freestylegal - I think he means that it doesn't shuffle between CDs - it won't do:
    disc 4 - track 3
    disc 2 - track 9
    disc 3 - track 7
    etc...

It stays on a disc and shuffles that disc and then when done moves to the next disc... Right?

Ah, well, that would be sweet, wouldn't it. As long as my CD changer takes to clunk and move from one CD to another, my hair would be grayer than it already is! :P These changers aren't exactly top o' the line...
  • n_a_cn_a_c Member Posts: 7
    vicenac wrote "I would like a turbo diesel FS with a manual transmission."

That is EXACTLY what I would also want.

I bought the Freestyle because it seemed to have the best mpg/size/safety tradeoff for anything bigger than a VW Jetta TDI Wagon. And since I was selling a VW Golf TDI, I didn't want to spend the money for something only a little bigger than what I already had. I sure miss the 44 mpg, the manual transmission, and the joy of driving. I'm not sure if I miss the car telling me to go faster. Anything less than 90 mph in the Golf just felt SLOW. In the Freestyle - Ho Hum, the car seems to say "what's the rush?"

Regarding the question "Can a transmission be fixed and be problem free afterwards?"
    I wouldn't worry. Transmissions aren't the rocket science which popular opinion seems to think - even our CVTs. There is no reason a mechanic can't open the tranmission, replace the broken part with a new one (the exact same thing which would go into a new transmission) and put it back together again.

I rebuilt a manual tramission on a Mustang in high school and never had any problems with it afterwards. And I put it through A LOT of abuse ;)
  • jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    well it is interesting to see that JD Power shows ONLY Honda and Toyota at the tops(?Hyundai--hard to believe the rental I had was absolute junk)--Americans come next and many of the other japanese cars are in the basement!
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    I also throw my hat in the ring for a turbo diesel Freestyle. I'd be first in line if Ford came out with one. I'd love a manual transmission as well, but won't hold my breath there.

With the Freestyle's low weight for its size, a turbo diesel, especially with a manual transmission, should offer mid 30s on the highway. That would be fantastic. I really don't understand the US automakers reluctance to give us the high quality, highly efficient, diesel options that Europe has. All one has to do is look at the success Jeep had with the diesel Liberty to know that if they make them Americans will buy them. We aren't all power hungry screw the gas mileage V8 fanatics they make us out to be.

Chad
  • thommacdthommacd Member Posts: 1
    I've recently purchased a Freestyle and am amazed how little Ford has pushed this vehicle!I traded in a 2000 Mercury Villager due to high mileage (92,000)... I loved the Villager, and was trying to find something comparable and didn't care for anything I saw. A friend suggested I check out the Freestyle, and my not knowing anything about them, thought I would. 1st impression was "Not enough room" (hard to give up the van room), then the lingering thought in the back of my mind was "I never heard of the Freestyle before...". The dealer told me to take it for a ride and I have to say I was impressed - The handling characteristics made it fun to drive, the Traction Control you could feel as you turned the wheel - It was great! Still, the lingering feeling I wouldn't have enough room. I'm involved in dog rescue (Boxers) and carry a few dogs quite often (5), I extended my feelings to the salesperson and he told me to bring the dogs in and try it out... I did the following day and have to say I was totally surprised! The only real difference between the Freestyle and the villager is in height... Bottom line, the dogs loved it because they could now easily see out the windows. With the seats folded down it was perfect, and I have to say the handling far surpasses most vehicles I've been in! Within 1 week I was in love with this car! I've another vehicle near replacing (Explorer), which my wife drives and she wants a Freestyle as a replacement! This vehicle speaks for itself once a person gets in 1! Mileage is fantastic and driveability makes it a dream... I really think Ford has dropped the ball on this vehicle by not highly pushing it - None of the dealer ads in the paper ever mention a Freestyle!

My only complaint is 1 I have seen often in the forum - NO DAMN CROSSBARS! I have since bought the Thule Rapid Mount/Bars (high dollar but worth it!) and am content!

Ask me what car to look at/Buy... Freestyle will be the 1st from my lips! :)
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    the Traction Control you could feel as you turned the wheel

I seriously doubt it. Did the light come on indicating that traction control was being applied?

Only ONCE have I ever seen Traction Control come on in my Ford vehicles . . . and it was in my 2002 Taurus.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    You guys make my heart sing! My FS is still in service. I took a peak at it and it seems that among the parts ordered there is a big piece of aluminum (or alloy) that looks like the front flange or the front part of the case. It might have been the original one, but it looked very clean and it was among plastic bags and labels on a table.
    The service manager tells me that they know that Ford will start offering an entire line of diesels pretty soon.
    I had a Volvo 740. They used a VW TDI 6 in line. This is a 2 ton car and I used to get 6 -6.5 L /100 Km, that’s almost 40 MPG. That's a little better then a Honda civic. And there was plenty of power! I want to also point out that there is an article on edmunds.com that praises Diesel but says that the only drawback is the fact that gear changes occur more often due to the low RPM ranges of diesels. Well, the transmissions for diesel engines are "longer" and take advantage of the torque, resulting in similar speed/changes.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I really don't understand the US automakers reluctance to give us the high quality, highly efficient, diesel options that Europe has. All one has to do is look at the success Jeep had with the diesel Liberty to know that if they make them Americans will buy them. We aren't all power hungry screw the gas mileage V8 fanatics they make us out to be."

1. The diesel Liberty was just discontinued, having sold only 2000 in two years.

2. The reason we don't have diesels is that California and the other CARB states will not allow new diesel sales for vehicles below 6000 lbs. So manufacturors have been reluctant to bring out diesels that can't be sold in the most populous states.

3. In 2007 the EPA has mandated clean diesel, though so far only MB has come out with a car that meets the requirements. These vehicles will include special filters for particulates, which will mean slightly more maintenance.

Having said all the above, count me in if they come out with a diesel FS!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually Jeep has sold about 20,000 Diesel Libertys.

alljeep, "Jeep Liberty Diesel" #6235, 7 Jun 2006 9:00 am

The rumor is that Jeep will bring a diesel back to the States in 2008, but the current one won't meet the new regs you mentioned next year, so they just dropped it for a year. The '08 diesel is rumored to be a Mercedes engine. We'll see.

Steve, Host
    Many have commented on how little marketing they see for the Freestyle. My observation has been that the dealers themselves do not push the Freestyle. Most Ford dealer newspaper ads I see rarely show the Freestyle, but the Explorer is always front and center. Most Ford dealers that I have driven by have a few Freestyles stuffed in the back of the lot while up front there is row after row of Explorers. It almost seems to me as if the dealers don't want to sell the Freestyle.

Is there perhaps a greater profit for the dealers if they sell an Explorer? Is there any other reason why Ford dealers seem intent on moving Explorers while the Freestyle is an afterthought?
    That could be one of the problems also saabturboid, I don't see a lot of FS advertised in dealer ads. However the salesman I had turned me away from the Explorer to the FS. We were looking at an Explorer but the salesman said Ford wants to make sure Explore stays the #1 seller and will do just about anything to be able to sell you one. But he said for we would probably be better off with the FS with its better gas mileage, CVT and a being a better family hauler. Of course maybe they were offering the salesmen bonuses for selling the FS, but I'm glad I did :)
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    Unless you absolutely need the Explorer's towing capabilities, I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't be better off with a Freestyle. The Explorer's segment (mid-size SUV) is finished with all the CUV's that are now available. The Edge will further finish off the mid-size SUV. May it RIP.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A large internet Web site is looking to interview consumers who are SUV owners. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the SUV you currently drive.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Well said. It is probably more work for a salesperson to try to explain what the Freestyle is, and less work to explain an Explorer. And the profit margin difference is a factor. But a test drive is worth a thousand words. :shades:
    "Actually Jeep has sold about 20,000 Diesel Libertys. "

No offense intended, but I don't consider Forum quotes to be authoratative unless they include a link to actual official sites. However, I think you are correct. The news article I read (and posted a link in the Hybrid Vs Diesel forum) listed 2000, but that may have been a typo for "20,000". But the article said that DMC was still disappointed with sales.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, sometimes you can't believe the official links either, lol. The Detroit News quoted Gutierrez as saying the diesel Liberty exceeded expectations (whatever that means - sales wasn't mentioned in the article Gagrice linked over there). I keep seeing 11,000 as the total sales number too at various sites.

I suspect some spokesperson somewhere at Ford is saying that Freestyle sales are meeting expectations and the ad budget is plenty big enough.

One could guess that Explorers make more money for Ford since the tooling has long been paid for, but you could also wonder why Ford doesn't market the Freestyle more aggressively in order to pay off the tooling costs for it.

Steve, Host
    steve said:
    "One could guess that Explorers make more money for Ford since the tooling has long been paid for, but you could also wonder why Ford doesn't market the Freestyle more aggressively in order to pay off the tooling costs for it."

In defense of Ford, dealers in my area don't seem to want the Freestyle around. The Ford dealership nearest me has 58 '06 Explorer's on the lot. They have exactly 2 Freestyle's. (This is typical in my area.) The dealers are a big part of the problem. When they order their product mix from Ford, they're still living in the 90's.
    Galpin Ford in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) had about 30 on their lot when I bought mine. But they are one of the largest dealers in the world. They also had 35 Escape Hybrids at the time.
  • jeparkeyjeparkey Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a cargo/pet barrier that works with the third row down and doesn't interfere with the side airbags. Any suggestions?
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Does anyone else think that Ford should rename the 2008 Freestyle as the 2008 Explorer, especially since FREEstyle reminds people of the FREEstar minivan? With the new 3.5 V6 and 6-speed transmission, the 2008 model will be as fast or faster than the Explorer V8, reportedly still provide the radically better fuel economy of the 3.0 V6 now sold, still seat six better, and so forth. The only thing the Explorer could do better is tow, and people who really need to tow may as well buy the all new Expedition which will also be out in a few months.
    Good points all. But I really feel that the Firestone fiasco damaged the Explorer name to such a degree that both the name and the vehicle itself should be deep-sixed.

If I'm not mistaken the Freestar is due to be retired soon. The coming Edge and the revamped '08 Freestyle will easily fill it's void, and maybe the confusion over names will finally end.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    In essense, the Freestyle fills many needs the Explorer originally did, but there's too much name recognition for the Explorer. To help re-educate the consumer and make them understand this is a FWD based car platform, with only a V6 engine, is totally against what the Explorer is about.

Just how I dislike how one company took a name from long ago RWD based classic with a V8, and slapped it on a FWD V6 vehicle, urrrrr...

The Freestyle, along with the Edge, and Fairlane will all sort of have it's same purpose, just in different platforms and utilitizations. The emphanize is space, utility, capacity, and all future Fords will have this mantra. Pretty much, people-movers...different heights, seat arrangements, lengths, but same focus.

Future Fords will have just as much flexibility in their interiors as the European versions, which also focus greatly on this concept...
  • emtownsendemtownsend Member Posts: 3
    Funny you should mention this... My 2005 really IS a lemon.
    My wife and I purchased a custom ordered, and FULLY loaded Freestyle LTD AWD which we received in May 2005.
    The car has been to the dealership so many times that I really cannot count the total...
    The most worry-some problems have been with a "clunk" noise in the front end that occurs whenever you press the gas from a stop. Then it developed a grinding when you turn. The dealership has not been able to isolate or fix the problem. The Freestyle has been in the shop for somewhere around 45 days or more, cumulative. We drive our service loaner more than our car...
    There is a silver lining... My wife's brother has worked for the Ford dealership, where we purchased this, for the past 6 years & they are helping with the lemon law process.
    We LOVE our Freestyle non-the-less and feel this is a fluke. We are hoping to get another. I've heard there is a redesign in the works. Anyone know when this will be? When are the 2007 models coming out?
    Thanks!
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The 2007 will not be different from the previous in any significant way. Look for big changes in 2008.
    Your Ford dealership sounds inept at servicing AWD Freestyle's. Instead of helping you with lemon law, they should have long ago fixed the problem and made you a happy customer. I would be very unhappy with the dealership if I were you. Go elsewhere for service. There must be another Ford dealer in town you could go to.
    Part of the problem here I suspect is the dealer doesn't know how to fix it. These vehicles are very different from other Fords. They are built on a Volvo chassis and use a Haldex AWD system and a new CVT transmission. I doubt most Ford techs have much experience with these. About the only thing that is familiar Ford on the vehicle is the engine.

I had asked my local Ford dealer to look into a loose piece of trim on my Freestyle and the technician told me he had never worked on a Freestyle before and didn't know how the trim piece was affixed. Didn't give me much confidence. I'm just glad I haven't had any other need to take it in for service other than oil changes. I'd be worried if something major was wrong they wouldn't have a clue what to do.

Chad
    I agree completely. In small town America, the Freestyle will sell in such small numbers that the dealers that are selling them will never see enough of them in their service departments to make it worthwhile learning how to service them. When it comes to something as complicated as the Haldex AWD system, they'll likely just shrug their shoulders and tell the customer "I dunno".
  • tom_holsingertom_holsinger Member Posts: 58
    I just dropped off a daughter at UC for the start of summer session, and brought an older son home after graduation. Two roundtrips were required. Our Freestyle was filled each time, with both rear seat sets folded down. The center rear view mirror was blocked by boxes coming and going on each roundtrip.

The Freestyle's interior cargo space was amazing - only a van or minivan could have held more. A Highlander would have required at least one, and probably two, more roundtrips.

I'm a happy camper. Hauling college kids around is the reason why I chose the Freestyle. It's more fun to drive than a minivan, gets better milage and is a lot safer.

And my Freestyle's driver's seat and front passenger seat are far more comfortable than those in my 2002 Camry.
    "I had asked my local Ford dealer to look into a loose piece of trim on my Freestyle"

Would that be the right rear door? My dealer just ordered the part. It turns out that the trim comes pre-painted, which is easier to install, but means the dealer won't stock the part, but rather special orders it.

My dealer is very large and I imagine they have more experience than most. But I've only had the oil changed there, so to date they haven't had to demonstrate any real ability. But they knew about the trim and how it was attached...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    the '02 explorer is just like my company's product. it's great, is pretty much unequaled in a lot of ways, but it is rushed to market, and results in a lot of client disatisfaction at times.
    maybe that's why i still love my '02 explorer.
    also, as far as i'm concerned, it pays to establish a good relationship with ford and your dealer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    I don't know how much money I'd lose, but I'll trade my FS for a 2008 FS. All the rumors I read on these posts seem to indicate that that a lot of problems will be fixed with the 08, plus, after driving a V6 FUSION for the last 3 weeks, I kinda' like the power.
    I wouldn't assume that an '08 is going to be trouble free. In fact, it may have just as many issues as the earlier models but probably different problems. My experience has been the most reliable models to buy are the last year of a specific configuration. This is because the manufacturer has had time to sort out any issues that presented themselves and make updates that fix the problems.

In our case, that would make the '07 Freestyle the most reliable. If rumors are to be believed the '08 model is going to have a new engine and new transmission. Because this is the first year of this configuration there are bound to be teething problems. If ultimate reliability is your goal your best bet is to wait until the '08 configuration has been out for several years, right before they change it again.

- Chad
    or... you could wait until the '12 model has been out for several years. But then maybe you should just wait for the new-and-improved '16 model. No... that's no good. By then they'll have another new transmission and you should wait to see how reliable it's going to be. Hmmmnn... 2019... yeah that's the ticket! That's when to get a new Freestyle!

Whoops! By then your kids are grown and moved away and you don't need it any longer.
  • emtownsendemtownsend Member Posts: 3
    Yep, the current Ford Freestyle will cease to exist after the 2007 model year. It will continue to exist in the Mercury line and the Mazda line. I understand there will be a complete redesign and the only familiarity to remain is the name. I'm not sure how they intend to reuse the name for a totally different car when the "current" car will still be made but badged differently. Seems confusing.
    Huh?

Dude.. I think you're seriously mistaken on just about all counts here. If you would care to substantiate any of this, feel free.
    I posted an article a couple weeks ago from the detroit news and it stated that Ford was planning on ceasing production of the freestyle and moving it to Mercury but they changed their plans and will continue to produce the Freestyle in its current form.