Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• dgmacdgmac Posts: 4
    The rails are slotted on the 2008 TX. The 2007 FS has a boxed rail with no slot. Check if Thule or others can use the slot for mounting.
  • bighank1bighank1 Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info Larry. I have programmed both PATS keys and remote transmitters but not an integrated one into a PATS key. I appreciate your comments. I have purchased several PATS and VATS (keys with a resistor chip in them), as well as remotes for Ford and GM vehicles. Usually when you program a remote transmitter you have to press at least one button. The manual says that the light (on the remote) will flash when it is being programmed if it is an IKT key.
    I have purchased the keys and remotes from fleebay with no problems. As long as you get the right key and right FCCID then you are OK. Thanks for sharing your experience as I am going to purchase some keys and if the price is right some IKTs and program them without the stealership markup.
    :D BIGHANK1
  • raezmom3raezmom3 Posts: 20
    I was so happy to read your post because we are buying a tx blindly. we are overseas and did not get to see or drive the tx. we are going by ratings and reviews alone. so the more i learn from the postings the happy i am. did you get the 7 seats or 6 seats?
    Thanks so much for the info. I was really debating the powerlift. It is hard buying a car without seeing and feeling it. Let me know how it has been going for you.
  • larryqwlarryqw Posts: 52
    I got the 6-seat version since I don't need the seventh passenger, but I can use the center console for storage of things like the DVD remote, headphones and movies. My 6 year old girl sits in the third row, which is a preferred seat for the smaller kids. She doesn't bother lifting up the second row seat like a bigger person would do. Rather, she just climbs/jumps over the the second row seats like a speedy little monkey.

If I had a very small baby, I might have got the 7 passenger seat just to put the car seat in the center of the second row. But now that I have the car, I see either second row seat is also good for a car seat. Even if one second row seat with the car seat can't fold, it's very easy to get into the third row from either side with lots of clearance. So on a six passenger model I'd put the baby seat in the second row passenger side, so I can turn around and see and hand things easily to the little critter. Small/medium size kids like the third row a lot. Larger kids may sit in front or the other second row seat.

The Taurus X is overall a real delight. Very many nice little things and nothing bad. I like it even more after a month of driving.

What model and options are you getting?
    I don't have the power lift gate. I don't miss it or the power second seats.

Opening the lift gate and the second row seats are very easy as they're nicely spring loaded to be right around neutral, with a preference toward springing up (not down). So more effort is needed to push down on both.

With the spring loading, the manual lift gate can be opened with one finger hitting the button under the handle to unlatch it, and the hatch springs open quickly. This is about the same effort as hitting a button on a key. Closing the hatch is fine too. Most short people are able to reach the top handle for closing. The only problem is that near the bottom when closing, you need to put your hand on the outside for a final push, or pull down with a lot of momentum so it keeps going. In contrast, pictures of the power lift gate show some of the trunk taken up by a power pod and arm to push up the gate.

Similarly, the spring loaded manual rear seat can be folded up real quick for access with one touch on the release handle. An easy shove puts it back down. Even as fast as it is to release the manual seat, my kids often just leap over the center console or fold down the seat and quickly crawl over the second row seat back. They don't want to spend the extra 1 second it takes to release the seat. As such, I think a much slower electrical mechanism would never get used, at least by my kids. And for folding the second row seat with either manual or power, you need to make sure the headrests are down in a lower setting or the seat won't have room to fold. This might be the slowest part of access if you ever put the second row headrests up to one of the higher settings.
    Thats good to hear because I have a three kids and two of them need car seats. But we don't live close to family so I wanted something with more seats so when they come to visit we can fit in one car.

I am getting the limited fwd with dvd, sirius and navigation. :)
    Thank you! I have been so undecided about the powerlift for so long and I have to make final decision this week. You helped me come to a decision. I going with the 7 passenger (no powerlift), :D
  • I just got a 08 Ford Taurus X SEL. On occasion when I come to a stop, I get a feeling like the car will not stop. One time I noticed that when my foot was pressing the brake, it had caught the edge of the gas pedal, and I was also pressing the gas at the same time. But now that I have been conscious of not doing that, I still get the feeling like the car doesn't want to slow down when I'm braking. I get a feeling that the car is downshifting or something like that and it seems to lurch forward or that the engine slightly revs up. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    No, but it sounds like something the dealer should take a look at soon.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    One time I noticed that when my foot was pressing the brake, it had caught the edge of the gas pedal, and I was also pressing the gas at the same time. But now that I have been conscious of not doing that

I'd make absolutely sure you're not doing it again.

Funny thing is, I just did this the other day with my Freestyle.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Posts: 178
    I wear size 10.5 shoes and I don't think I've ever had this happen in our Freestyle. I don't see what would make the Freestyle more susceptible to accidental accelerator modulation than any other vehicle.

- Chad
  • Hi everyone...I was wondering if any Taurus X owners have experienced the issue with water intrusion that has been reported by many Freestyle owners. I have been researching the X for a while, and the horror stories from Freestyle owners plagued by water leaks has me worried. I've read several reports that the leaks stem from poor body welds, moon roof drainage problems, and improperly installed grommets in the firewall.

This is particularly disappointing since I am eligible for x-plan pricing, and combined with the current $2000 cash incentive, I can get a very good deal on a new TX SEL, and it would be a terrific replacement for my aging MPV.

So, does anyone know if Ford has finally addressed the water intrusion issues?

(FWIW, I am cross shopping with the Hyundai Veracruz GLS, which with currents incentives can also be found for low-mid twenties.)

Thanks!
  • I had a 2005 Freestyle for 2 years and now have had a Taurus X for almost 8 months and have never noticed any kind of water leaks. This is actually the first time I've heard of this problem. I can't comment on the moon roof issue as neither car had one.
  • Thank you for the response, and glad to read that this didn't affect you!

If you google "Freestyle water leak" you will see several long message board threads (including one or two here on Edmunds Carspace) - mostly from 2005 and 2006 owners.

Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues.
    I have a Taurus X for three months and no leaks in the slightest.

I googled for water leaks and found three main sources of leak:
    1. Moon roof drainage leak and runoff design issue
    2. Improperly installed grommet in engine firewall
    3. Plugged air conditioner drain, allowing condensate to drip on front carpet

The moon roof issue looks to be the worst. The fix is making sure it doesn't leak in the first place, as the runoff goes to the third seat. Makes me glad I didn't get a moon roof. Maybe you shouldn't either, if this is a big concern. (Instead, the Family Entertainment System is very nice, much more than a DVD player.)

The firewall grommet is a simple production error that's quick to fix on new models, and should be by now.

The plugged air conditioner drain happens in a lot of cars. (Bug crawling in or something?) But I don't see any sign from consumer reports it's more common in the Freestyle. In fact, CR says the Freestyle climate system is much better than average reliability.
  • I've also had my Taurus X for about 8 months and there have been no water infiltration issues.
  • freealfasfreealfas Posts: 652
    update - sky is falling... you can go find a group of people that have had far worse issues with just about any car. the beauty of the internet allows what may be a minor problem to turn into a big one. that's not to say that owners haven't had their problems, but I suspect that it is the exception rather than the rule...

this minor issue should not be any reason to not consider the TreX if you are that interested in buying one as there simply are no guarantees in life...

you can google anything and find a problem for it. it will never go away.
  • ^^^^ I absolutely agree with that - and was even going to state something to that effect in my OP (that I recognize the problem may be blown out of proportion). The internet certainly gives a voice to those that are dissatisfied with a product, which is a good thing, but I realize that those buyers with problems are far more likely to be vocal about it than completely happy buyers.

Thanks!
    I, too, had a 2005 Freestyle w/o moonroof and now have a 2008 Taurus X w/moonroof and neither one has had any water leak of any kind.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,800
    "My '05 FS FWD can get close to 30mpg on the highway if I keep the speed at 65mph, and I average in the low 20s with mixed driving...what are you expecting to get with the hybrids you're looking at and do you think it's worth all the money you'll lose when you trade in the FS for the new vehicle?"

My FS was an in-town vehicle. It got about 18.5 in town if I was REALLY careful. Under similar conditions (but not as much trouble to achieve), I get 31 MPG with my FEH. That is a 60% increase in fuel efficiency. And keep in mind that my FEH is AWD, while my FS was FWD, and that the 2008 T-Rex will probably NOT get as good of MPG as my CVT FS. I also generally got 22 MPG on a mixed tank with the FS.

I have always been impressed with the FS at highway speeds. My own experience is of 75-80 MPH with 25.5 MPG. At highway speeds the difference is less, but I suspect my FEH would get over 30 MPG in similar circumstances. FWIW, I find that my FEH is quieter than the FS at highway speeds.

If I had needed the 7 passenger seating & etc. I would have stayed with the FS. However, I'm glad I switched. I suspect that gas is going to get far past $5.00 per gallon soon; I have heard predictions of $150 / barrel of oil by 2010, and possibly $200 / barrel by 2013. The developing nations are increasing their use far more rapidly than we are reducing our use!

In my case, the payments were very close, so it wasn't an additional financial burden.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    It just seems like to me that there are lots of 5 passenger non-hybrid vehicles out there that get good MPG...unless you need a small SUV? Once you get of the 3 row vehicles, there are lots of options. Are other car is a Honda Fit that holds 4 adults plus a lot of stuff for such a small car.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,800
    "It just seems like to me that there are lots of 5 passenger non-hybrid vehicles out there that get good MPG...unless you need a small SUV?"

Take a look at the city MPG of the SUVs. It may surprise you. In actual use I doubt that most of them would get over 20-21 in town, if you check the forums for "real-world MPG" of each model. I'm currently getting 31 MPG, though I expect that to decline in cold weather.

I do like the smaller SUV, just because it is easier to maneuver & etc.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Posts: 468
    Good grief.. enough already. A transmission with gears has to shift gears in order to operate. A CVT transmission with no gears to shift cannot shift anything. Instead.. a CVT varies the drivetrain ratio in an infinitely variable fashion by moving a stainless steel belt between two conical cylinders. There is no shifting going on. By definition.. it cannot shift.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,009
    Good grief.. enough already.

All this time we had a Freestyle CVT discussion buried at the bottom of the topic list. :blush:

So, most of the recent CVT posts have been moved over there; apologies if this thread seems a bit disjointed now, but at least we can get back to other X issues.

Here's the link:

stevedebi, "Ford Freestyle Taurus X CVT Transmissions" #54, 22 Apr 2008 4:52 pm

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bprassbprass Posts: 1
    Ford brings many nice models with great accessories... but still most people go for Japanese cars.

If Ford wants to attract people buy this lovely vehicle, they should introduce a Hybrid version, Hybrid+Deisel version will be great!

Is there a way to pass this message to Ford people?
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    Hybrid+Deisel version will be great!

Have you priced diesel lately? ;)
    I would say Hybrid + Ford's new EcoBoost is even better, and that combination will likely happen anyway in the next couple years as EcoBoost permeates the Ford line. EcoBoost has a 25% fuel efficiency improvement like that of Diesel, using the same direct fuel injection into the cylinder, but adding a turbo charger providing a very nice flat torque curve across all RPM. And it can use gas or ethanol.

As for the Taurus X, I love it and bought one. But I think it's on the way out next year, with Ford neglecting to even advertise it. It will be replaced by the Flex coming now, and the new car-like Explorer America, that's due in about a year.
  • peetertpeetert Posts: 124
    After much deliberation (still some to go) we have decided to upgrade to a Taurus X or Freestyle. I've got a few questions that I hope can be answered here.

The dealership we're working with doesn't currently have anything we're interested in, but is willing to do a dealer exchange for a new TX, or find a used TX or FS at auction based on our specs. This will be our 3rd Ford from the same saleman (new dealership). Currently we're considering the Used TX option, but want to see if the incentives on new get any better this month. We're not in a rush to buy, but the longer we wait, the less variety we'll have to choose from.

Below is a pro/con list I've come up with and invite any comments /additions. Further below are questions regarding options we're trying to finalize.

New
    pro - it's new,
    cons - more $$, quickly depreciates

Used TX
    Pro - Cheaper, can get CPO to bring warranty out further
    Cons - Used and most of the current used mrk is former rentals

Used FS
    Pros - even cheaper, slightly better gas mileage
    Cons - not as peppy as TX, CVT(?)

Finally, we're REALLY undecided as to the 2nd row configuration. While the bucket seats are convenient for access to the 3rd row, they limit the car to 6 people. We tested all three configurations ( bench and buckets w/ & w/o console) and the kids had no problems with any of them. Please let me know which you chose and why.

Thanks,

Peeter
    Having had an 05 Freestyle and currently driving an 08 TX, both "Limited" , I think the TX is a better car. I liked the CVT, but it is a unique transmission for Ford that is no longer being used so future maintenance might be a problem. I like the 6 speed on the TX almost as well. The TX has better power and I like the power lift gate. The 3.5 engine and 6 speed trans is found on several Ford models so I think future maintenance support will be a lot better. As for configuration, your family needs and desires should drive that decision.