Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I am having the same problem. I can take it our of park if I stick something in the "shift lock" hole next to the transmission. WHat part is this and where can I get it? Is it possible I don't need a new one at all?? Please advise...
  • Hi,

I have a 1999 Lanos, my car when it's cold has trouble idling and stalls. Once it stalls it just turns over. i think i have a similar problem to post #350. I do know when it just turns over, that i have to wait at least 30 - 45 seconds until i hear a faint tick in the dash, then it will try and start, before the tick, forget it, just turns over. Once my car is at running tempreture it's all a-okay. Also, at how many kilometers should i do the timing belt.

the daewoonator needs help! Thanks in advance!
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    The culprit is the brake release switch which is found right behind the break pedal from the top. When you press the brake the switch closes and makes contact and the gear lock or latch is removed. This is a safety so you cannot shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal. It is a $10 part and you can replace it yourself.
    Sometimes the switch is not completely broken and is just stuck in the depressed position. Try pulling on its tip outwards all the way, and then put it back and see if it works again.
    hesitation during idling in the morning:
    1. Clean fuel injectors.
    2. Clean throttle body.
    3. Replace fuel filter.

With the lanos it might also be an electrical problem. I heard that it is a common problem that AC drain hose leaks water inside the car which damages some wiring to the engine computer. Lift the carpet and check for any water damage.
    From what you are saying with the faint tick, sounds like electrical issue.
    Timing belt should be replaced every 50K miles together with the tensioner and rollers.
  • I recently got a Nubira SE 2000. It has just under 70k miles on it. It drives fine and operates normally (some A/C compressor issues in the summer) most of the time. In the past month it has refused to start on me twice. Both times it was parked on a downward slope but I have also parked it on the same slope (my driveway) for weeks in-between without a problem. Once, te gas tank was 1/3 full, and once it was 3/4 full. The engine turns but there is no ignition.
    The first time it happened I had it towed to a mechanic who found nothing wrong with it (it started as soon as he tried)... Any suggestions?
  • Thanks jkobty2,

i will do the cleaning of the above. i did read somewhere else that if the erg value is stuck open the the car wont idle and stall when cold. Do you concur?
    Could also be true, the EGR valve used on these cars is very common on GM cars too, so you should be able to get one from any parts store.
    I was thinking what you are doing at 4 am writing about Daewoos, then I realized you are an Aussie. Hope it is just the time difference :)
    I am an Aussie too, and I used to live in Sydney and owned a Daewoo Cielo for a while. I know that car dealers in Australia charge a lot for service. So if you are not mechanically inclined yourself, you should be able to easily find a good cheap private mechanic who is familiar with the Lanos engines. They are all Holden engines built in Melbourne.
  • I have a 1999 nubira stwgn that had the same problem, and yes it was the brake switch, cost me $15 for a new one. Yes, you can take out of park using the key hole along-side of the gear shift, but be very careful, when you drive away, be aware that your brake lights will not be working.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2000 Nubira. Have to use the bypass swich next to the gear shift and my brake lights won't come on. My mechanic said it's the brake light switch sticking and that I need a new one. Any idea where to get the part?
    In the US you can order all daewoo parts from their official website:
    www.daewoous.com
  • I own a 2000 Daewoo Nubira, and have two problems:

1) First the check engine light keeps coming on, and when I get it looked at the reading is "gas cap is on too loose", so I check the gas cap and it's making the clicking noise and is already on tight. But after resetting the check engine sensor, it just comes back on.

2) When I fill my car up with gas, the nozzle at the pump won't auto fill........something is causing the nozzle to stop pumping gas and you need to stand there and keep turning it on........so it really sounds like something is messed up in the gas tank area causing both problems. Anyone else face this?
  • Hello, Would anyone happen to know if there are any rims out there that are interchangable with the Nubira. I want to have seperate snows mounted and I'm hoping I can find some more easily found rims.

Thanks in advance
  • woowoeswoowoes Posts: 12
    Make sure the crank shaft position sensor and the cam position sensor are plugged in. That was the problem I had. If you line up the belt correctly, the computer tweeks it with info it gets from these sensors.
    The exhuast gas recirculation (egr) valve can get stuck open with carbon deposits. When this condition occurs the car will run very rough at idle and may stall when you stop. The egr valve is very easy to access. The gasket for it should only cost a few dollars. Instead of buying a new egr valve, just take it off and inspect it. Take the obvious carbon off, if any, and clean it with carburetor cleaner. Install the new gasket and bolt it back on. I've had very good success doing this.
  • my 2001 daewoo nubira makes a knocking sound when i drive over a bumpy road. all the mechanics i have been to have said different things. anyone have any suggestions?
  • could be your sway bar links or the front bolts are loose, it took me several mechanics to solve this problem but I found a daewoo dealer in ontario who knew how to fix these cars, most other mechanics dont' have any idea about daewoos.
    The noise could be a lot of things. Is the noise coming from the front or the back? which wheel(s)? Does it happen when turning either way? I had a similar problem and it was a loose strut. The stabilizer bar bushings in these cars are a common problem, that's probably what it is. Over all, all the components on Daewoos are pretty flimsy. You may find that mechanics try to stay away from Daewoos because of parts availability, etc., but a car is a car. I've worked on many different kinds (American, German, Japanese, Korean), all cars basically have the same components. A good mechanic will be able to fix it for you, if he wants to.
  • Do GM service centers now do Daewoo repairs? Do they have a clue about Daewoos (given Lanos similarity to Aveo)? Are they honoring warranties, or did bankruptcy scrap them entirely?
  • you might want to check out Daewoo's U.S.website, located here, for a possible answer to your question.

http://www.daewoous.com/#

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• raywooraywoo Posts: 16
    I bought a used Daewoo Lanos about a year ago. 2000 model. It had 38,000 miles on it. This is the first car I've come across with out a dip stick for the trans. Is there some alternate method to check the level of the trans fluid?
    Also, after reading through the forum a bit, I very much nervous about my timing belt. The car is now fast approaching 60,000 miles and may never of had the timing belt replaced! I have no problem with doing engine repairs, does anyone know where I can get a good write up on proper replacement of the timing belt? Any feedback on these two items would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Thanks.