Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    Have you owned any automatic tranny cars model year 1996 or later?

All recent vintage automatic transmission cars with 4 speed and better do not lock up the torque converter or enter the highest gear until the car is warmed up to a certain point.

This has to do with some emmisions control issues and is normal operation. If it takes a long, long time to get to 1/4 temperature, then you might have a bad thermostat that is stuck partially open.
  • p191p191 Posts: 1
    Hi I have a problem with my dipped lights in my bumper the N/S dipped light bulb has blown and i dont know how to replace it anyone have any ideas I think i have to remove the bumper am i right?
  • I have noticed that my 2000 Leganza with 94000 miles has been hesitating a bit after stepping on the gas from a complete stop. I have already changed the transmission fluid, changed the oil and filter and even upgraded the grade of gas that I use with not much luck :confuse: . Is it time for me to part ways or is there something else that I overlooked :confuse: ?

Thanks,
    JV
  • I have a 2001 Leganza Automatic. My side/instrument lights do not always switch off and I am having to remove the relay to stop the battery going flat. If they do switch off, then once the car has stood for a while they will come on by themselves. Noticed that if i jerk the gear shift about they go off and on. Anyone heard of this before or know how to remove the Shift Lever covers so I can see if a wire is catching ? Desperately seeking guidance.
  • Hi,

When I was replacing the timing belt on a 1.5 SOHC there was a notch in the plastic conver at the top of the camshaft pulley which the indentation on the camshaft pulley seemed line up with when the equivelent indentation on the crankshaft pulley was aligned with a notch on the block/sump which was straight below it at the lowest point.

However, this is just an observation and not a statement of fact. When I replaced the timeing belt I actually maked the relative positions of each pulley and put the belt on as the previous one came off.

Naturally, if you do use this as a guide.... you MUST turn the engine over by hand first to ensure there is not binding in the engine BEFORE you hit the starter motor. If my observation was wrong then atleast you will find out without causing disaster.

Given you are changing the timing belt then I assume you have probably have changed the gearbox oil at some stage. I have a manual and can not find a suitable drain/fill points on the gearbox. As stupid as that sounds, rest assured that I have change the oil of many gearboxs so I kind of know what I am doing.

I am wondering if it is possible that the gearbox is 'sealed for life' type job. If such things exist?

Can you give me any pointers?

Cheers,
    David
  • tca1tca1 Posts: 1
    Am having a timing problem after valve job similar to other posts about 'not starting' except that my sensors are all connected fine. I am confused by the timing marks on the cam gears. Its a 2000 Nubira and both cam gears are identical with a timing mark on a built-up section that reads 'Auslass/Exhaust'. There is however a second mark about 1/3 of the way around. The exhaust gear has the 'Auslass' mark painted white and the intake gear has the opposing mark painted (the one 1/3 of the way around). But if I align these marks the cam lobes don't look right. The exhaust lobes trail the intake by only 15 degress or so. Surely this can't be right! Which two marks are supposed to be lined up?
  • Hello, have you had any success in finding out how to change the gear oil in your Lanos? We are in oz. and have a Daewoo Cielo and are having the exact same difficulty as you. I would appreciate your input if you have had any luck with your query. Cheers, Rusty
  • Well the 2000 Lanos belt went today. 77,000 miles on her. Does anyone know if this is an interference engine? It went on the road with our daughter behind the wheel and she has a limited recollection of the event.
  • Could someone please tell me the location of the cam positioning sensor for a 2001 leganza /cdx. My check engine light comes on sporadically and I had it scanned and it showed low voltage to the sensor..thanks
  • First I must say thank you to everyone who has covered the "shift lock" topic which I am currently experiencing.

But looking over the forums there is no information on the SPECIFIC part number for the "brake relay switch" so I can order it, because I have no brake lights. The daewoo sight is no help yes there is a diagram but it's greek to me. Can someone just let me know the part #?

Thanks in advance. :)
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    There are multiple part numbers depending of the specific features of the car and which vehicle. Best to write down all the options and vin number of the vehicle and contact a Daewoo parts source directly.

STOPLAMP switch, Lanos, Manual Trans 99-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42
    Electrical - Chassis electrical - switches - Stoplamp switch

STOPLAMP switch, Lanos, Auto Trans 99-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza 99-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza, Manual Trans, From Vin #248879 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza, Auto Trans, w/o Cruise Control, From Vin #248879 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Leganza, Auto Trans, w/Cruise Control, From Vin #248879 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Nubira, w/o Cruise Control 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42

STOPLAMP switch, Nubira, w/Cruise Control 00-02 $10.95 $0.00 $9.42
  • Thank you, because the diagram was not informative. I still can't find this switch but, the mechanic should know. As long as I order the right part. Thanks again
  • james

Guaranteed the valves are bent..either the belt and or one the idler pulleys broke...fixed dozens of them..
    sorry!
    JJ
  • qdog99qdog99 Posts: 19
    :cry: I HAVE A 1999 DAEWOO NUBIRA SX 4DR AND I HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WHEN I LET MY CAR SIT AND TRY TO UNLOCK THE DOORS WITH MY REMOTE IT DOES NOT WORK BUT THE KEY UNLOCKS ALL THE DOORS NEXT WHEN I PUT MY KEY IN THE IGNITION AND TURN IT TO ON NOT START THE INSTRUMENT PANEL IS REAL DIM LIKE THE BATTERY IS RAN DOWN IF I TURN THE KEY TO START AND HOLD IT FOR ABOUT 10 SECS IT WILL START BUT THEN THE ENGINE WILL BE RUNNING BUT MY INSTRUMENT PANEL WILL GO DIM AGAIN AND NOTHING IS REGISTERING IF I STEP ON THE BRAKE THE ENGINE DIES ALMOST EVERY TIME I'VE REPLACED THE BATTERY, IGNITION SWITCH AND CHANGED ALL FUSES AND RELAYS BUT YET IT STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME I'M AT THE END OF MY ROPES
  • qdog99qdog99 Posts: 19
    IT COULD BE A UNDERINFLATED TIRE ON THE RIGHT SIDE, OUT OF ALIGNMENT OR YOUR LOWER CONTROL ARM ON THE RIGHTSIDE IS WORN OUT
  • qdog

Did you check to see if your alternator charging properly?

I had some of the problems you are describing because of a defective alternator (at 18K miles!). Towing, a new alternator (get a new one-not a rebuilt one-if you have a bad alternator) and labor cost me like $800. No more Daewoos (Suzuki Forenzas) for us!
  • i'm thinking about buying a used 99 leganza, the mileage is low (47,000) and its cheap ($3400) however i have a few concerns:

i understand that there were problems in the past with finding parts and mechanics charging outrageous fees but is it still like this now that parts have been made available on their official site? i would hate to purchase this then end up paying twice as much as its worth in parts and labor if something goes wrong. so does anyone have any recent experience with repairs in the last 6 months?
  • from what I have read on this site itself is that the motor in the Daewoo also uses the same parts in Hyundai,mitsubishi honda and isuzu.so they can't be too hard to find I think!!
  • I have done many, MANY repairs to my 2001 Leganza. The Deawoo site is pretty much useless unless you want to buy a Deawoo sweater. The dealers they direct you to are eager to tell you how they can't help you, and how long it will take to find parts. Ebay is a good source. I've replaced almost everything in my car. I'm waiting for my second alternator to be delivered -- it's on it's way from NC.

The thing people need to know is that the engine is a GM engine. The Isuzu Rodeo from the same years has the same engine. I use the Isuzu repair manual for engine info.

Repair places charge more for Deawoo because thay can, not because they are harder to fix. A car is a car is a car. They may have to dig a little for parts, but they are availavble. Just plug in what you are looking for into Google or some other search engine and options open up.

If you don't know how to fix a car or where to find parts you will pay huge money for parts and labor! If you can do repairs yourself, with a little delay in finding parts on the internet, a Deawoo may be a decent car. You will spend a few weekends here and there fixing it. Either way, the price you gave for that car is about $2400 too much.
  • Sounds like a clogged EGR valve. You can take it off and clean it with carb cleaner. I've done that it's much cheaper than a new one. You can get engine info from theh Isuzu Rodeo manual from the same year. It's the same engine. Good luck.