Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daewoo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2000 nubira sedan, What size rims do I need. I mean what is the bolt pattern? Size?
  • jsiesjsies Posts: 26
    Should be 14" for a 185/65/14 tire. Go here if you're looking for alternate rim size capability.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findTireRegions.do?step=regions

• jodifjodif Posts: 12
    I got my recall notice in the mail yesterday from Daewoo. Bad break hoses. I've also had my timing belt replaced due to severe wear at about 35k miles. Of course, not under warranty.
    ... charge for the timing belt replacement? Did they recommend doing the water pump at the same time? I live in Western PA and am curious of the cost, as I'm getting close to doing the same on my 2000 Nubira.
    Thanks.
  • My Chicago Daewoo dealer conducts business as usual. They have many cars on the lot. I just dropped off my Leganza for a warranty timing belt replacement at 48,000 miles. I expected to pay for it, but the service manager said it would be covered under warranty. He promised to check the water pump, too, and replace it if necessary (also under warranty). Most parts are available for Daewoo, with a few exceptions. I need to replace the flex pipe, which includes one muffler and a catalytic converter. I will have to pay for that myself ($700), but the part is difficult to get. I patched the hole in exhaust system and have to wait for the part to come into the dealership. Daewoos are really nice cars, especially for the money. Many people in the automotive industry seem to have been sceptical about Daewoo, but I really, really enjoyed my 4-year term with the car. Only minor problems along the way, but the ride is very comfortable, especially long distances. If Daewoo were getting stronger, I would buy another Leganza in a heartbeat. Did any of you have to replace the exhaust system,yet, and at what milage?
  • jkobtyjkobty Posts: 99
    My Leganza has 30,000 miles only with no problems as of yet. However I did have to change the timing belt on my wife's Nubira at 53,000 miles.
    It was under warranty. The reason for the failure was the tensioner went bad, so they replaced the tensioner as well, and said the water pump would not make it till the next belt change so they changed that too. All under warranty. Make sure
    when they do the timing belt job that they replace the reason for the early failure which is in most cases the tensioner. If they do not, you could have a real failure shortly afterwards.
    For those considering dumping the Woo because of the GMDAT situation, steer clear of the Isuzu, because I read on another board that they're bowing out of the US too.
  • My dealer wants 240.00 to replace my front brake pads. i can get the two pads at my local autozone for 31.99. How hard is it to do this job myself? Can anyone give me a step by step? Thanks.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Posts: 487
    Get the $50 Napa pads they are much better.
    Quieter, less brake dust, etc.
    This was from the dealer who tried both aftermarket pads this summer when Daewoo pads were in short supply.

I ordered the pads from NAPA, had them the next day, took the car into Midas, $97 later they had the new pads installed and a very very small amount of metal off the rotors to make them 100% true again. Total $150 and I did not have to do it myself.
  • Ok, my 2000 nubira,, when I went to start it, twice today, after driving it too and from dallas Texas Saturday and Sunday. It was great I LOVE THE GAS MILEAGE!!! Our old car used a tank of gas going to gainsville, this one used not even a quarter tank, anyway, When I went to start it, after it had been sitting for a while, it sputtered a little then I heard a "gurgle" towards the back of the car, what is that? And after I did start it, I had a "burnt" smell coming from the a/c. Oh yeah I have an extended warranty *non daewoo* that gives me a rental if my car is in the shop more than a tenth of an hour, till its fixed, so I'm good as far as that goes. I'm still happy with the car just curious if its cause it went from mostly city driving to almost 1000 miles in two days at 70+, thanks.
    As a first step, I would replace the fuel filter.
    you might have picked up some bad gas on the way.
    When you start the Nubira it has a system in the rear that sucks the evaporated fuel from the filler tube neck and purges it into a canister under the car from the rear also. You hear a few clicking sounds as that process happens. But I assume that you have heard that before and the 'gurgle' you describe is a different sound and might be related to fuel contaminants blocking your fuel lines.
    You can also try a fuel injector type additive
    just to make sure.
  • I bought a 2001 Daewoo Leganza SE with approximately 11,000 miles for $10,500. Did I pay too much?
    It all depends on whether you had a trade in and what they say they gave you for it on paper versus the $10,500.
  • I was given $500 for my trade-in and I put another $500 cash down. The total cash price of my 2001 Daewoo Leganza was $11,300 minus my total downpayment of $1,000 meaning I financed the remaining $10,300!
  • Just re-joined the forum after being out for a year.

Several thousand miles ago (odometer about 55k) I had the car looked at for a strange noise coming from the engine. The dealership replaced the timing belt tensioner, saying it had bad bearings. They also replaced the water pump under warranty citing "impending failure". They did charge me for the timing belt... $60, but not the labor to put it on since they were in the area anyway.

Since I've been away, I've had one accident that put a $1,800 crease down the passenger side rear fender and I rock chip-turned-crack in the windsheild. A new set up tires at 45k miles (stuck with Hankook... great tires!). The car itself is still running great and were it not for the financial situation of Daewoo America I'd eagerly buy another one!

Dave
    In most areas where the Daewoo dealer is closing up, they are selling the new 2002 Leganza SE for around 65% of MSRP.

In those other areas where the Dealer is still in business and performing warranty repairs and doing every thing they can to keep a customer, the new discounts are much less and the used retail is a bit higher.

Here locally a 2001 SE sold for $9995 with 18K on it about two months ago uses. So if the dealer you purchased it from will do all repairs and maintenance, you did not get taken to the cleaners. You also did not steal the car from the dealer either.

Yes, you did pay full retail used price if you just bought the car. On its own merits the car is not a bad car. They do have some special maintenance issues that you want to keep on top of to prevent more expensive failures. i.e. Timing belt replacement earlier than recommended, yearly 4 wheel alignment. But check all the groups on the web for maintenance suggestions.

The other question is, was your trade in really worth $500 to the dealer? In other words what would the dealer actually get at auction for the car.

Finally, if you were able to get financing on the balance amount, obviously the lender seemed to think the car was worth lending you the money based on your credit.
  • I have found a 2000 Leganza CDX with 33,000 miles on it. It is a repo vehicle in great condition, as far as I can tell. The asking price is $7500.00. Is this a good price. Is anyone having trouble getting parts and/or service?
    When I was down in Florida in September, 2000 Leganza CDX was selling at $6000 as advertised by dealer, so you should be able to get it for less than $7500. From my own experience with this vehicle it is magnificent even at its original price. The parts crunch seems to have been relieved in the US now that the GM deal has been finalized.
    In areas of the country where the nearest dealer that is still in business doing warranty repairs and in good standing with DMA, $7500 is about average as long as the dealer selling it is the same Daewoo dealer.

In other areas where you may not have a dealer to do any kind of service, $6000 is more the normal price.

Look at it more this way:
    What other car can you get for around $7000?
    What kind of service after you buy the car can you expect and what kind of service level are you willing to live with should things go sour in your area?
    If you plan on traveling with the car, make sure you plan the possible repair depots along the way before you start the trip. AAA is always a good help when traveling by car.
  • My Leganza has almost 70,000mi on it. The question is the timing belt. My manual shows the California models good for 102,500mi and less elsewhere. Does this have something to do with the "California Happy Cow" cheese or something? Do you think I'm walking one thin ice? Maybe I'd better change it out for reasons of sanity.
    Recently I got a check engine light, I ran a code extracted a EVAP malfuntion code. So far I noticed the pressure line to the ODBII solenoid came unhooked (the wire tie broke and it vibrated out). I hooked it back up, but the light is still one. Does anybody know how to reset the computer?
    Besides this, still running great, even with the bluff at the wheel!