Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• dougndodougndo Posts: 132
    The March 4, 2002 issue of AutoWeek just come in the mail and the cover screams "GRAB HOLD." Underneath is the caption "LOOK OUT! Hyundai's Tiburon rocks the sporty car world." Gracing the cover is a fine picture of a red Tiburon GT.

Inside, the magazine devotes four pages to the Tiburon. That's a lot of pages for AutoWeek, which surrenders two of those pages for another shot of the red Tib from another angle. There are five additional pictures scattered on the next two pages which include the main article and a sidebar article.

All in all, it's an impressive spread and a pretty fair treatment for the new Tiburon. You should check it out.
    Ooops! Of course, in normal English I would have said "just CAME in the mail." Fortunately the AutoWeek article has better grammar than my post.
  • dougndo: I wonder how much Hyundai had to fork over to Autoweek to get a rave article like that ? Seriously tho, that rag is THE bible of cars to a lot of gearheads. It will sell hundreds of cars for Hyundai just on their say so. On the downside, the sleezy dealers will figure that hoopla in Autoweek will be good for at least another $1000 tacked onto the MSRP. $25,000 2003 Tibby? Why not. Those suckers will pay it, right LOL ! Plus with each rave review their arrogance ratchets up yet another few notches.

hud :) :)
    Hyundai must've really ponied up the dough, because I just discovered a full page devoted to the Elantra GT right after the Tiburon article.

I am almost stupefied by this. I read AutoWeek every week (for YEARS), and Hyundai hardly even gets a mention. Now, it has a cover, a lead article, and a feature article. What the heck?

And you're right, the dealers are getting the jacks out. (To jack up prices, of course.)
  • toyunkitoyunki Posts: 25
    Can't believe it? by toyunki

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/archives/features/feature01_0302b.shtml#dyno

Methanol alone can't be it.? What is it?

• chem123chem123 Posts: 272
    Possibly two turbocharged engines?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    You now have direct access to some of Edmunds' Hyundai Tiburon articles/reviews on the left side of the page. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    From Edmunds' Daily Headlines section, here's an article that you may find interesting: Hyundai Revs Its Engines With A Sporty Tiburon. (This is not a permanent link.) Hope you enjoy.

Revka
    Host
  • woernerwwoernerw Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy the 2003 Tib and I am trying to find answers that the dealer has yet to be able to supply.
    1. What is the difference between the low spoiler and the G-Force high rear spoiler.

2. Can you get the ABS with the GT V6 and the automatic. All I see is the GT V6 package with ABS but the packages all have standard trans. I'm getting too lazy for the 5 or 6 speed. ABS is an option on the base model but not listed on the GT V6.

3 What is a good price for the GT V6 Automatic & ABS?

thank you in advance

Walt
  • cdsimscdsims Posts: 1
    The G force spoiler is taller but I dont know by how much.
    I dont know about the ABS with a V6 automatic. I didnt think you could get it on anything but the high end GT-V6 package that only comes with the manual trans.
    I was looking at a GT V6 automatic that had no ABS (and I dont think it was a option on the automatic). It did have the sun roof and leather for around 19,000.
    The thing that I didnt like the most was that I couldnt get the 17 inch wheels with the automatic.
    Which means I have to spend another 1200 on aftermarket wheels and tires just to drive an automatic or live with the 16 inch ones which look way too small on such a slab sided car. Despite all this I am still thing about getting one.
    I washed my 2001 Sonata GLS (the "Ebony Star") yesterday, and, as usual, my girlfriend came out to watch "my obsessive ritual" as she calls it. She's especially bemused at the time I take to hand wash each alloy rim. "That's a little excessive isn't it?"

Then, when the chamois and towels come out for drying and polishing, she goes on about how her 2000 Super Silver Tiburon doesn't need all that fuss. "It looks good even when it's dirty." She's partly right, of course, but her car is REALLY dirty, and I foolishly point that out.

Okay, so the next thing I know, I'm washing her car, and her alloy rims are so filthy I don't want to touch them with any rags that will ever touch my car, so I tell her "I don't do rims" on her car and she can find an old rag and clean them herself.

Well, when it's all done, the car looks great, with many smudges, dead bugs, and bird poops cleaned off. There are no water spots on the glass, and the Tib's shapely bulges are gleaming. She admires her car and says, "It looks nice, baby."

The only thing is, the rims are still filthy...
    I've seen the 2003 Tiburon commercial several times now, you know the one where the guy is in hell. I'd have to say I find both the general premise and the guy who portrays Satan as kind of irritating, if not offensive.

On the other hand, I'm getting old (51 this month), and maybe Hyundai's demographic surveys tell them that GenX will like this approach. Be that as it may, I'm glad to see the car being advertised but I wish I could say the ad gives the car a more positive spin. As it is, I end up focusing more on the goofy premise than on the car.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Posts: 169
    dougndo: yeah, I'm afraid the general tone of that commercial will appeal to the "tuner" type crowd with the baggy pants and cap on backwards ilk. What ever happened to the good 'ole days (I'm 66)when sporty type cars were the venue of us "gray hairs" and not the hip-hop bunch. heck, I even remember the other guys in a VW bug waived to you or if you were in a MG TD a flash of the lights.

hud:):)
  • chem123chem123 Posts: 272
    I'm 18 and the Tiburon commercial doesn't appeal to me in the least bit. Just goes to show that not all the people in a certain demographic share the same attitude--even if they are the same age.
  • mtjakemtjake Posts: 1
    I am 6' 2. Has anyone this height sat in one with a sunroof? How is the headroom? I used to have a 2000 Mustang and I had enough headroom in that. How do these compare? Or should I look for something with more headroom?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Car and Driver pitted the new Tiburon GT against the New Beetle Turbo S, Celica GTS, Eclipse GTS, and RSX Type S. The Tib made 4th place and I was pretty disgusted with the review. They were quite harsh even though it was cheaper then the others by at least $3500. It was the only car under 20k, whereas the others were between 23-26k. Considering the price difference, I don't think some of the remarks were warranted. One comment I find hard to believe. They said the doors had a junky sound to them when closed. The 01 Tib didn't have this problem so how can the newer more rigid Tib have a worse sounding door? They also complained that the 6 speed shifter required high effort. This was not found to be true of the old 5 speed (which they compared to Honda shifters), so maybe its still a better idea to get the 5 speed and give Hyundai some time to perfect the 6 speed. On a good note, the Tib V6 turned out to be pretty fast. 7.1 sec from 0-60 and a top speed of 132. That's faster then the Celica GTS and only 0.4 sec slower then the 210 horse Eclipse (though faster then the regular 200 horse Eclipse GT) . So all the balking about the Tib's low horsepower was premature and proven wrong. 7.1 sec is respectable performance. As I stated before the car even came out, 181 horsepower is plenty for this car.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Posts: 169
    Intonge: Yeah, I saw that issue, that crack kinda jumped right off the page. Ticked me off !! I was just leafing thru the mag at the news stand and saw that blurb. I just renewed my R&T for another two years too LOL!! Ihave a 2001 Tibby and the solid "thud" of the doors was one of the things that sold me on the quality of the car. 70K later they STILL thud and no rattle or "junky" sound. Does not make sense as you stated that the body solidity would take a step backwards. Musta been a fluke.

My five speed did not loosen-up until well after 10k miles on the clock. Now it shifts like a hot knife thru butter. That 6 speed will be ok once it gets a little use.I bet the 0to60 will improve as well. My Tib got better mileage and acceleration after the 10k mile point and the synthetic oil was good for almost 2mpg more on the highway. Synthetic is going into the tranny soon too.

hud:):)
  • riderazrideraz Posts: 1
    Just got a new 2003 Tiburon V6-Auto, dark blue, power sunroof and all that jazz. Got an internet quote and paid $18,659 for it, plus tax, titles, etc. which from what I've seen around is a pretty good deal. So far from what I've seen in my area, there are only like one or two driving around in the area which I live, which is pretty cool because everywhere I drive people look and are wondering what kind of car it is.

I've been pretty impressed with the make of the car, the leather interior is pretty well made, I wish there was a button on the keyless entry fob to pop open the trunk, but that's not really a big deal. I'm pretty impressed with the sound system, although I think I will put my Alpine head unit to try to get a little bit more out of the speakers. The acceleration on the car is pretty good, not the best but it's all I need and more.

Anyway, just thought I'd post my thoughts, on my third day of ownership and real happy so far!

Kevin
    and congrats on your new 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience.

Btw, you may also be interested in our ongoing 2003 Hyundai Tiburon discussion. For future reference, you'll find a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of this page. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    My girlfriend's 2001 Tib got rear-ended yesterday by a guy trying to squeeze through a yellow (red, actually) light. Unfortunately, the traffic was all stopped for the next light, and he hit her while she was sitting still.

The good news is that no one was hurt, and the damage to her car was light--mostly a bent license plate and some scrape marks. There were no tears in the plastic or even any exposure of underlying colors. His car, on the other hand, had a really messed up hood and bumper, probably because the front end dove when he slammed on the brakes.

Frankly, I was impressed with the durability of the Tib's rear end in this instance. I expected much worse. I had a similar experience with my Sonata when a crazy driver in an Aerostar pulled out from a side street into my path and smacked into my front bumper (driver's side) then continued to drive across the front of the car, scraping as she went. I expected a bent hood, broken lights, torn bumper cover, smashed grille, etc. What I found was a couple of scrapes; otherwise everything was perfect and in alignment. (BTW, she just kept on driving. I filed a hit and run on her.)
  • Well, I'm about 6 foot, and I wanted to test drive a Tiburon this weekend. The only automatic one they had also had a sunroof. And basically, after sitting there with my head cocked 30 degrees for about 10 seconds, I realized it just wasn't going to work. The Tiburons are VERY short on headroom, even without the sunroof...I tried jst sitting in a manual tranny one...the only one they had without the roof. Even then with the seat as low as it would go I had maybe half an inch of clearence between my head and the roof...probably less. It's a tight squeeze, especially if you have a long torso.

Damn shame too, because it's nice looking car. And when they get an auto in that I fit in, I AM going to test-drive it, and stack it up against the VW GTI...big difference in looks, but not in features and power (handling too, I think...similar weight and wheelbase).
  • I'm only 5'10" and had the same headroom problem in a sunroof-equipped Tiburon. I didn't necessarily have to cock my head, but it was brushing against the roof.

Regarding comments on the shifter, the Tiburon's is very easy to shift with. The oft-vaunted RSX shifters, on the other hand, are very stiff (at least when new), notchy, and long on the throw. I am consistently surprised with how much the auto mags love Honda-made manual transmissions, except that maybe they're dealing with ones worn-in enough that the feel is entirely different.

As to the Tiburon's horsepower shortcomings, check out AEM's cite. They now have a cold air intake for the Tiburon that should bring the car close to the 200hp mark (figuring about 79% efficiency on getting the power to the wheels). Add that and a new exhaust system (+3-4hp), and you'll still have paid a couple thousand less than you would have for the competition.

Here's the link to AEM:

http://www.aempower.com/application/induction_application.htm
  • rodcrodc Posts: 2
    Dougndo, interesting your story about a Tib being rear-ended last week. Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago by a guy talking on a cell phone. I stopped at a red light and he just kept coming and BANG!!. Well, I thought that from the impact he had really made a mess of the rear end of my 2000 Tib. We pulled off the road to check out damage and guess what??
    The rear license plate was bent all to hell but there was not a scratch on my car. I know I certainly was relieved as I'm sure the guy who hit me was. It was his fault, as is the case in most rear-enders.
    Maybe there is something about the rear bumper or whatever that is an excellent shock absorber. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper, to say the least.
  • cyrocyro Posts: 1
    I don't know why you guys are having headroom problems. I've got a 2003 with power moonroof and i'm 6'1" and have no problem at all with headroom. You must not know how to sit in the seat!

cyro
    I'm 2" shorter than "cyro," but I still find it easy to rub my bald head on the Tib's headliner (2003 or 2001 model). However, he's right that knowing how to sit in the seat can help. With all the adjustments available, I can readily find two or three comfortable seating positions that give me all the clearance I need.

Transitioning from the upright seating of a pick up truck or SUV can be temporarily odd, but the fact is there are different ways of sitting in different styles of vehicles, and finding the right position may take a little experimentation.

If one just puts the seat all the way back and as low as possible, one might think, "This is the maximum room accommodation for this seat, and it's too tight for me." Actually, all one has done is explore one position and deemed all other positions inadequate by default.

In my girlfriend's 2001 Tib, I put the rear of the seat cushion all the way down, the front up about an inch and a half, the seat back at about 110 degrees (relative to the floor), and the steering wheel about one inch from the top of its range. The seat is about three inches from the rear of its track. It's a great fit!

If I move the front of the seat cushion down and bring the seat back upward to 95-100 degrees, my head hits, even if I push the seat all the way back on its track. The car is suddenly too small!
  • jedisebsjedisebs Posts: 8
    I have to agree with cyro. I'm also 6'1 and I have no problems with the headroom in my tib. My dad on the other hand is 5'8 and he thinks the roof is too close. The difference is that I like to recline my seat further than he does (It is a sport car after all). Also, he's 53 and i'm 22. Us 'kids' these days like to ride a little lower than they did in the olden days. And let's face it, sitting relaxed looks better. It makes it appear as if you're in greater control of your vehicle. Furthermore, even if I do sit up straighter, my head fits into the gap created by the sunroof. I have absolutely no problems with the headroom in my tib. Enjoy the ride gentlemen. Ride in style because it is a stylish car. :)
  • jbmalikjbmalik Posts: 10
    Okay, here goes.

I test drove the 2003 tibby the other day. I REALLY wanted to like this car. But I'm not sure if I do, now that I drove it. My overall gripe (and I know not many of you are going to like this) is that I think the car (at MSRP, despite whatever additional bogus surcharge the dealers are asking) is overpriced. Remember when Car and Driver said in the review that they think it's priced about right (i.e. not particularly a bargain?) Well mark my words, I think in a few more months the Tib will be selling at or around dealer invoice (example: Today a local RI dealer offered me a loaded Jet Black Tibby V6 at $19.9K, including delivery (versus $20.5K MSRP). I'm still waiting for them to go down). Ok, now for the test drive. The plusses: buttery smooth clutch, awesome seats, great rear view mirrors and logical, well-read controls and gauges. Back seat room is not as bad as the critics make it sound. Handling good at low speeds. Low road/outside noise. Relatively good quality inside, for the $. The minuses: Handling at high speeds. The critics were right, the nose of the car is too "floaty" at high speeds, and the suspension is more harsh than I would like it over rough payment.... I would probably be nervous driving this car above 75 mph. I think others would concur. I currently drive a 1998 Ford Contour SVT (MSRP new $23.5K; I paid $17.5K for it (used) in 1999). The Contour SVT handles like it is on rails. I am not saying I would take my car over a Tiburon GTV6, but in terms of performance it is better. Howevr the clutch and shifting action in the Tiburon is much better than any Ford, including my Contour SVT.

If I was in the market for this car (the Tiburon), I would (and will) SERIOUSLY consider the Ford Focus SVT. It is getting great reviews and at list price (again, at *MSRP*) is about $1200K less than the Tiburon. I have owned two 'specialty' Fords in my day, a 1994 Ford Taurus SHO and a 1998 Ford Contour SVT. The SHO gave me some trouble after 70K miles, the Contour is at 77K and I have had very little trouble with it. I also would seriously consider an Acura RSX-S, the list MSRP is only about $2500 more than the Tibby. A few used 2002 RSX-S are popping up at around $21K, they have about 3K miles on them.

The bottom line (my opinion) is this: Buy the Tiburon if you can get it at (the maximum) a few hundred above dealer invoice. I believe the dealer invoice for a loaded GT-V6 with 6-speed is $18,700...The car is a bargain at $19K and some change, no more. Anxious Tibby buyers, hang in there and wait, the price will come down soon enough....
  • Since 1999, I've been attracted too the Tibby.
    I was introduced to it by the son of the man who produce's Hyundai’s entire interior's. Of course, Han had the car completely done up, with things like real wood paneling, which most of us can not get, even if we were willing to pay for it.
    So this year I did some research into the car, as I'm very attracted to it. In my research, I found out the police here in Canada say that the 2003 Tibby is the #1 most stolen car in Canada (I believe the number’s in the US would also be similar).
    So I called my insurance company to find out if that were true, and they confirmed it, and that if I were to purchase it, the rates would be higher than on most other new cars in it's category.

I also put a 2003 Tibby 6sp V6, up against my 1995 Eagle Talon (non turbo) on the freeway, and I blew the Tibby into the dust, as I accelerated away from it with ease.

So, even though I'm looking for a new car, I think I'll pass on the Tiburon for something else.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Hmm...#1 most stolen car in Canada? How is that possible since the Tiburon is sold in such small numbers to begin with? And it's definitely not the case here in the US. The Acura Integra/RSX has always been highest on that list, as has the Civic Si, Prelude, Accord, Camry, and Altima. Hyundais have always been low in the stolen list since their appeal is relatively low as is the desire for parts in the black market. I could see the new 03 Tib attracting some new attention since it's such a looker, but I still doubt it will top the stolen charts. Lastly, no offense, but the Hyundai either wasn't trying to race you or the driver's skill was poor. There is no way your non-turbo Talon could overtake the Tiburon V6. The Tib is over 1 second faster to 60 mph and the distance continues to increase from there. You could, however, overtake the four cylinder Tib.
  • I suggest lngtonge18 go to http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/stories.cfm?storyID=1021 It confirms that the Tibby is the 1# car on the hit list for stolen cars in Canada.