Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    So you feel like a pioneer, do ya! Ah, those people that ventured into the unknown did not have a warranty in the days of the old west. All cars have risk. The Tiburon is one of three in its category for fewest problem areas according the JD Powers. I personally would consider an automatic. The clutch is not covered for normal wear. Now the 2003 had a defective assembly, and that one is something Hyundai should have covered. Lots of bad press there. Kinda like they are practicing how to be an American car company :D You will find all the car companies will not cover clutch cars for what they would call normal wear, or abuse. With an automatic, they can not say you wore it out by slipping the clutch. It is just about impossible for a car company to cove a stick for clutch wear, as you can burn one out in a day.

Enjoy the car. Let me know how the seats feel on a longer trip. Do they have lumbar support? And is it good and low on the support? Took one a short drive, but forgot how the seat support was. I did test the stick. Like the 6 sp, only slightly notchy, and pretty easy to use compared to some 6 sp. Clutch was OK. At the time I owned a Miata, so that is tough one to compare to. I would say it is good. The engine is really a nice purr, like you said, and seems relaxed on the road. Some sporty cars are too buzzy. Handling was good. Seems like a balance of grace, charm, luxury items, and lots of looks. A nice girl to have.

The best FWD test drive was in a Celica. Those are a bit buzzy, with barely enough HP. Plenty of road noise. That said, it has outstanding handling. It is like a go cart. The Tiburon is a more relaxed touring sport car. It weighs more and has all the safety goodies standard. While for sport the Celica is great, I think you may like the heavier if you compete for the roadway space with SUVs and trucks. In the looks department, no other car in its class compares. She is the beauty winner. Even the interior looks richer.

I would think over the automatic vs. stick, if warranty is a consideration. And also think of what other car would fit you as well, if any. Look at each element of a car and compare them. Weigh by what is most important to you. And beware of buy and then selling soon. For Hyundai to be the best deal, we are talking buy and hold. Be sure to pay cash. Do not make banks money and assume debt for anything which does not appreciate in value. Always check the insurance cost before buying a car. If too high for you, a Mazda6 may be something less expensive to insure. Maybe an Altima. The Monte Carlo is low insurance, but yeah, I know, it may not be your cup 'o tea.

Some links:
    link one
    link two

Let me know how ya like the car. Oh yeah, and the dealership. Remember they are part of the deal too.
    -Loren
    Did anyone test drive a Mustang V6 and a Tiburon V6. How would you compare these 2005 or 05 cars? Would love to hear your take on how the two compare in your opinion. The pros had their say, what say you?

-Loren
    Well what happened-bought the car? :confuse: Three days latter and no reply. :( Will we ever know how the car is, if it was indeed purchased, or whatever....
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Just yesterday I was having a little maintenance done on my Elantra and asked a top line mechanic that I trust what the story was on the dual disc clutch in the Tiburon V6. His dealership has sold and serviced a good sampling of these and his observation was interesting. First off, they have only seen a small percentage with clutch failure. More interesting, almost all that they have seen came in with modified air intakes, lowered suspension, aftermarket wheels, etc. While none of these items void the warranty, they do give insight to how the car is treated. His technical comment was that the clutch set up in a Tib is designed for road racing, not straight line drag racing. They have several customers who have set up Tib for rally driving and not one of them has experienced a clutch failure with the original design.

He also noted that some of the customers who blew clutches had come out of Camaros and Mustangs.

Now, I trust this guy, he will call a bad design when he sees one, but his word was that FOR THEIR DEALERSHIP almost all of the clutch failures they had seen were abuse related.

This is a good dealership, too. I was in for an oil change and saw an Elantra with the engine torn down. If you know anything about Elantra 2.0L you know that this is not common. The young person driving the car didn't notice when the temp gauge pegged, the CES came on, the steam started blowing out of the hood (the engine got so hot the radiator literally melted. I saw it and couldn't believe it). She finally pulled over when the engine seized. The car had 59K miles on it and the thermostat had stuck. The antifreeze had never been changed. They were still trying to get Hyundai to cover at least part of the repair bill even though this was an obvious negligence issue on the part of the owner.

I only mention this to give insight into the integrity and quality of this dealer.
    Wow, I had a thermostat stick on my Dodge Stealth, a little over a decade ago. I wouldn't say the anti-freeze is all that old, but yeah, when the light comes on, stop what you are doing, as in whoa! Those little, what use to be $30, thermostats can go and do havoc to an engine. Many years ago, I heard of a girl that was given a Shelby - yes a real Mustang back in the 60's, and was driving it when the red light come on and said HOT. She got scared and tried to get right home. End of Shelby engine!

Thanks for the report on the Tiburon clutch thing, and the dealerships. Consumer Guide said they are looking into problems with the automatics shifting irregular on the 2003. Seems like most complaints are centered around this year. The clutch thing, I don't know. Yes, it is entirely possible hard use would be the only problem, but it is kinda strange it centered mostly around the 2003 year. This one, as quoted from ConsumersGuide-- 2005: Threaded portions of steering gearbox inner ball joint assemblies may contain internal cracks; breakage would lead to loss of steering control of one wheel, whose tie rod assembly would no longer be attached. --is a little scary :surprise:

For the most part, I think the Tiburon would be a solid car. Every car has an issue here or there, and a recall at some time. It is now one of the top three in JD Powers Initial Quality in its grouping.

It is so hard to find anything in a sporty coupe. What is left? Is the tC Scion a sport coupe, or a somewhat conservative, pleasing coupe. The Celica had the zip, both in style and handling. It is like only the Tib remains. If my back can take the punishment, I may get on some day. Not sure about the entry/exit and if there is enough lumbar support. Got to check those seats again.
    -Loren
    In my humble opinion, any sports car should be driven by the rear wheels, not the front! I grew up in the era of Healeys, MG, Datsun 240Z, and the big iron (Camaro, Roadrunner, Charger, Mustang, 'Vette) and have never found a true high performance coupe with FWD. Just my driving style, I guess, but I don't like the power and steering both coming from the same end of the car. :D
    There are simply no choices left. There is the Mustang, if you like those. Was considering the 2004 model - not bad. I had a Miata, which is excellent for handling, yet kinda small. I leave the car outside, and prefer a hardtop. The 240SX is gone. Yeah, I use to like the Z, and would buy a new 300Z if it was around $21K. The new 350Z has those tiny windows and you feel confined. Then it had the tire wear issues, and the price is a bit much. Never owned a British car, but then again, I want a clean driveway, less the oil. ;)

A Corvette is nice, yet they do need repairs from time to time, at great expence. The Tiburon is pretty good handling - GT class, as is touring. The Celica test drive I took, some time back, had the feel of a RWD -- almost.

New Tiburon to be RWD?
    -Loren
    According to my contacts, Hyundai is looking to take the Tiburon into a new class of performance. RWD, V8 engine, tubular chassis. They are looking for something to compete against the 350Z and Supra markets. I hope they don't shoot for the Vette as that is a whole 'nother class. Though many may not care for it, the Corvette is still the biggest bang for the buck in the ultra high performance market, in my opinion. You can get a higher performance street car, but not in the $50K range.
    Tiburon should stay in the under $21K range. It is OK if it stays FWD to conserve build costs. Needs the 3.3 V6, and better gas mileage. Now a RWD to compete one on one with the Stang, would be cool. Sort of a modern day Celica of RWD era. Heck, a bigger 4 banger for $19K and the V6 at $21k would be awesome. There just ain't much out there. If you want replica or retro, there may be more on the way. I personally have been there - done that, as in seeing the real car in the showrooms as a kid. If Hyundai continues steady, and on course with cool new looks, like the Tiburon, and advertise it more, it will sell. Up the HP, up the advertising, and NOT lower prices. Oh yeah, parts - more aftermarket stuff and maybe sponsor car clubs. Energy -- the sporty cars need energy. IF they do like GM and let the Camaro just die a slow death, then they have done a dis-service to a really cool design. This upscale push, like the Azera, may be a bit too soon. Always walk before running. Same with the sports cars. Perfect the Tiburon. Or at the very least, keep a lower priced one for kids, 20 to 80 years old --I'm in da middle. :shades: Loren
    My guy says for sure they are dropping the 2.7L and going with more power. What a lot of folks don't realize is that Hyundai has a huge parts bin to pull from, not just what we see here in the states. If you can muddle through the Korean, go to their native web site and you will see what I mean.

Don't forget, these guys build everything from ocean going oil tankers to computer monitors!
    Great idea! Put the 3.3 V6 in there at around 233HP, then advertise it against the Mustang V6. Considering the front air bags, and all the goodies, Ford would not come close.... except for the FWD vs. RWD, where Mustang has the advantage. If it fits in there, how about the 3.8 V6 as an option. Will the 3.3 fit in there, come to think of it?
    $18,500 GT with a 3.3 + $900 for an automatic
    and
    $21,500 GTS (special) 3.8 + $900 for an automatic
    Drop the i4 or up the HP there too, and sell for $17,000 spec model.
    -Loren
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    I am almost certain the next Tibby will have the 3.3, and based on the lighter weight, likely in the range of 240-250hp. The upcoming facelift will probably continue to have the 2.7

3.8 is an interesting approach but I don't think, at least not initially. switching to RWD is almost certain but until confirmation still rumor for now.
    From what the tech got at the factory school the Tiburon RWD wasn't so much a rumor as more of a pending decision. They were getting training on the new van, the new SantaFe, and the new Elantra. The Tibby info was more of a "these are the designs we are considering for production" type discussion.
    Some scoops posted at another forum:

- RWD
    - 2.0 I4 Turbo (200hp); 3.8 V6 (300hp)
    - 2008/9 model year
    Yep, that pretty much goes along with what my guy heard. He did say they were definitely dropping the 2.7L. I haven't checked to see if there is a small block V8 in Hyundai's stable.
    Hyundai has a 4.5L V8 used in the top of the line in Korea.
    But that is another car. And perhaps much more costly. Will they keep two car in the Hyundai line up which are sports cars?

That new sporty car does look sort of interesting. Doors look even taller though, and possibly it becomes a large car. Anyone know the dimensions of the show car? No doubt interesting that a cool looking RWD car is in the works, though an affordable car is a good thing too. And the Tiburon already has the looks. I think very unique looks. OK, the Ferrari 456 shares some of the lines.... oops the other way around. ;)

Good seats, with a lumbar support which works for my poor back, and perhaps the 3.3 V6 are a couple of things I would like to see. Oh yeah, and three more MPG somehow. The 3.3 engine may do that. Then advertise the Tiburon. Push for more ad-ons and car clubs, or whatever it takes to get more excitement for the car. It has more goodies for the bucks than the others, yet it is not selling as fast as it should be selling.

I think the Scion may be taking away some sales. The 2007 Spec is going to be like $15K and some pretty good competition for the Tib. That said, the side air bag is not standard. With an automatic and side bag, it is around $17K. This means Hyundai should also up the HP for the 4 banger. The Sonata engine would do the trick! -Loren
  • evipereviper Posts: 1
    I'm currently debating which car to get. On the one hand, the Civic Si is the safer choice to be sure, but the demand is so high that they are actually charging a premium over msrp. Average here in LA is about 1.5k over msrp. On the other hand, the tiburon can be had for under 20k. My main consideration here is actually the rear seats. I have several friends who ride with me on occasion. Most of them are petite, about 5'4. Do any of you know if they'll still be able to sit comfortably on the back seats of a Tib?

As for all the rumors as to what the 2007 Tib might have, there's actually a review of sorts on the 2007 Tib at cars.com. From what I've read there, the car is essentially the same except for updated brakes and the addition of the electronic stability control such as those found on the Sonata. Perhaps with everything that's going on with the CEO of Hyundai in Korea being indicted is having an effect maybe? What do you guys think?
    I've been told a facelift is in the plans for the Tiburon, and then the new one in 08 or 09 (info posted above).

2.7 is higly unlikely to be in the next Tiburon.

4.5 V8 is dated, derived from Mitsu years ago. There is a 4.6L V8 (340hp) Hyundai debuted with their concepts. Look for the new V8 to be fitted in the new RWD luxury sedan.
    The one thing my guy was sure of was the demise of the 2.7L. The 3.8L gives a lot of bang for the size and cost, so that might be the way they go. Then again, they could take a page from GM and Ford and do a whiz-bang cool car with a 3.8L for the insurance minded and the V8 for the enthusiast. It has worked well for the Mustang, and before the demise the Camaro.

I didn't know much about the current V8 other than it was never used in the NA market. The specs on it are not bad, but as mentioned, if dated this would be a good time to release a newbie.