Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tiburon

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and glad to hear your Tiburon is serving you well! ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • with Hyundai Tiburon news of any kind, OK? I am totally stricken with that car! I have a long commute(I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 and love it)of 90 miles a day so the Tib I would probably buy would be the 2.0L 16 valve DOHC 4-banger coupled with a 5-speed manual tranny. I've test drove a 2003 4cyl 5-speed Tiburon twice and loved it both times. I'm looking to eventually trade for a Tiburon but can't because of what I now owe on my Sportage. Hey, if any of you know a dealer who gives awesome trade-in and other allowances on a trade-in let me know, OK? Hosts, can dealer names/cities be mentioned in here? It's cool if not-I've got a ways to go yet until I'm ready anyway. I may go for the GT-V6 because of the look of the 17-inch rims and the slant the car sits in with the larger wheels. Then again the 17-inch wheels could probably be put on the 4 cyl model that comes standard with 16 inch wheels, too. I just love the dynamic look of this sports car. I was perusing the net last night and found a site that said Hyundai is thinking of redesigning the new body style ALREADY! My vote would be to keep it just the way it is! =:)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Have you had a chance to check out the 2003 Tiburon articles and reviews in the Helpful Links on the left side of this page? ;-)

You asked: "Hosts, can dealer names/cities be mentioned in here?

As long as it's not a form of self promotion, it's okay to mention a dealership and city. We've been asking our members to not post too many specifics such as individual sales people's names, phone numbers, and emails addresses. If you want, you ask people to email you for more details....

And in case you weren't aware, your email is private by default. You'll need to change that in user profile if you want people to contact you. Good luck with your purchase!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • My intent was to get some feedback on deals other '03 Tiburon owners received on trades when they bought at wherever they bought-even whatever city they lived in. I'd cruise somewhere else to trade-in for this sports car if a better deal could be had. Of course, I don't want to break Washington state law if that might break some kind of law. For instance, taking a road trip to Nevada in my Sportage to trade it in there for a new Tibby with better incentives and/or rebates, etc. That's where I was heading with that. Yeah, I've read the information you people have compiled on the 2003 Tiburon and I really picked up some great overall new style Tiburon facts there. I'm going to go back in there this weekend and see if I might have missed anything.

• I have to replace the tires on my 2001 Tib. The stock michelins weren't particularly good tires to begin with, but had a V speed rating.

The tires I'm thinking of getting are Yokahama Avid T4s...which have a T speed rating. Many tire shops are recommending against going down in speed rating, but I personally don't see the big deal -- I can't imagine driving over 118 mph.

Any advice?
  • dougndodougndo Posts: 132
    I put Kumho Ecsta Supra tires on my girlfriend's 2001 Tib when we got tired of the Yokohamas that replaced the poorly performing Michelins. The Ecstas are directional V-rated tires (as were the Yokohamas we tried). They immediately did three things:

1) Improved directional control.

2) Improved handling.

3) Made for a slightly stiffer and noisier ride (but not much).

These tires made a big improvement over the Michelins and cost hundreds less for the set.
  • This goes out to iluvmysephia1 anyone thinking about buying a new car. This information is info that I have compiled from different sites and talking to others.

1. Try to sell your car/truck to a third party (not the dealer). This will allow you to get the most money for your used car. Check pricing at or in Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) to make sure that you get what you should be getting, also you can check what dealers are paying for your car as well. Dealers have a tendency to offer a good trade-in, but then will not go as low on what they will take as an offer on the car you plan to buy.

2. If you are trading-in try to negotiate all the pricing before you let them know what it is that you are trading-in. This will let you do all the haggling without them knowing how much you are getting off (from your trade-in). This basically puts you in the same situation as above (as if you are just coming in with a certain amount of money to put down). If this approach does work then make sure when it is trade-in time you get what you should for your car.

3. Don't always go with dealer financing (if you are financing). After getting those good price quotes on my car and going to the dealership to buy, I asked what my loan rate would be. The sales person didn't want to talk rates, they wanted to just talk monthly payment. Don't get stuck in this game. My sales person was asking me what I could afford a month. The monthly payment they said was the lowest they could go was about $330/month. I asked what the loan rate was and they responded with 9.7%. This seemed a bit high to me, so I told them I would have to see what other rates I could get (I had already put a deposit on the car at this point). I went through AAA and ended up getting a rate of about 6.5%, this saved me over $30/month! I had to wait a bit longer to get the loan money, but it was well worth it to wait and save $1800 over the course of the loan.

4. Never feel pressured. You as the buyer have the upper hand. You can walk at any time. Remember, you can always try to get dealerships to go against one another too.

Be smart and good luck to all the shoppers out there.
  • I will look back at it when buying time gets closer-I'm not at all ready to trade the Sportage 4x4 in yet(or sell it myself) unless a deal I simply can't refuse presents itself! Congrats to you on your new 2003 Tiburon! I read some information from Tuscani Club members in Korea(they linked the information to an American Tiburon website)that Hyundai was already re-designing the new Tiburon bodystyle to something different. WHOA! Hold on boys! This one is great as it is. I'll try to find out more information about it. Have fun stshane with your silver sports car when you break it out again after winter. I would be having a hard time keeping it hidden in the garage I know that for sure!

• Well, my wife and I have now had the ole Tiburon since May of 2002. So far we have not had the full feel good satisfaction that we had hoped for. So far we have been through two 2003 Tiburons. Yes, I did say "Two". The first well let's not talk about that experience. I'll take one experience as just a dishonest dealer.
      This time around we after the return of the first Tiburon and we purchased the exact same car from another dealer, the GT-V6 6-speed with the works! We loved the lines of the car and the features of this car!!
      Thinking our problems were behind us with the first Tiburon we get disturbed with the bad news of the mistake made on the Horsepower. Man did this set a bad tune for us again. I don't feel like I got what I paid for. This is a BIG Mistake!! It's a misrepresentation of a material fact in advertisement. Have made several phone calls to the hyundai department reguarding that because the options just weren't up to par. Especially since we now have turned 23k miles on our Tiburon. The warranties offered are a no win situation for us! I have called 4 different times after the notice only to get promised a call back. I finally had enough promises and now am resorting to writing the department in hopes of finding some accord & satisfaction on this BIG mistake. This is only the first problem... as you well know my title is 1, 2 now going on 3 sets of tires.
      As stated before we have just turned 23k miles. Within the first 5k miles our Michelin tires are completely bald! We have taken our car to the nearest dealer for rotations and alignment checks because the car was pulling to the right, but are told that the alignment is just fine and that the balance of the tires were less than an ounce off thus causing the pull. Well ok that sounds logical, but the bad news is we still have to replace the tires in with just 10k miles on the car. So we do so with the same rated Yokohama. These tires are great for a smoothe ride, but hey guess what! Yup you guessed it they are going balder than a 90 year old man again this time within another 10k miles!! Again a same story, checked the alignment again with the dealer and the balancing, this time everything is reporting perfect! They state there are no problems with the alignment nor the balance and was given the reason that the tires treads are just so soft that they are made to wear fast. Ok this sounds acceptable(I don't know a lot about cars). So this I look for a tire with a warranty. I don't know about you but I can't aford 4 high priced tires every 3 months!! Yes, you are right you can't get the same rated tires with warranty. I go down to a H-rated tire with a 45k mile warranty just to save a lot of $$. Guess what we take our tire in for a slow leak in a tire due to a unrepairable nail in the sidewall that are covered by the certificates, but when we take the car back in to Discount they tell us that our treads are half way gone! We have not had the tires more than 3k miles!! These H-rated tires are harder and not soft like those Michelins or Yoko's plus they have a 45k mile warranty. Discount reps tell us that there is definitely something wrong with the car going through 3 sets of tires in less than 25k miles. They first asked the normal question of is the car pulling, have you checked the alignment etc etc, but we have not had trouble with any pulling or otherwise. They are adament that there is something wrong with the design of the car or with the car itself. I am lost! Do I turn to the Hyundai Corp for another shrug off again? I am still trying to take care of the Horsepower issue!! I am looking for other owner experiences or suggestions or anything ya'll have heard. Please Help!!

LatinRacer
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I don't quite understand what your beef is with the horsepower rating. The Tiburon V6 accelerates from 0-60 in 7.3 seconds regardless whether the engine is rated at 181 or 170. This is within 0.2 sec of the performance of the Eclipse GT with 200 horses. You can keep up nose-to-nose with a car with 30 more horsepower than your own, so how can you feel like you didn't get your money's worth? You were fine with the way the car performed when you bought it right? The car hasnt suddenly lost any performance, only your "perception" of a number on a sticker. I seriously doubt you wouldn't have bought the car had the sticker read 170 instead of 181. Think about it. And how is the extended warranty not useful? If anything, it should lower your concerns over long-term reliability.

As for the tires, a lot of variables will affect tire life. Are the tires wearing evenly? If they are, than your wheel alignment isn't off and that is not to blame. Tire pressure plays a big role. What psi are you keeping the tires at and do you check them often? What speeds do you normally drive at and do u take corners semi-fast? Answer these questions in more detail and maybe we can decipher what the cause of your problem is.
  • The horsepower is a major issue. I can honestly say that if I was told that the Hp of the Tiburon was 170 and not the 181 listed I probably would not have bought the car. Call me crazy, but the choice would of been mine to make knowing fully what exactly I was buying. This issue falls under serious recourse. I didn't buy the car just for the looks, but for what the material facts that were involved, in which a major part is of course the Hp. Your opinion may be different and I respect that, but you didn't buy the 2003 Tiburon under these false pretenses. If you did you would feel the same as my wife an I do, "Cheated".
      You asked why would the extended warranties not be of any use? Well 1) the warranties that come with the car are already great 2) I may not keep the car for 10yrs or even 5yrs 3) I am looking at already at 23300 miles in less than 8 months(May it would be a year) so if you do your calculations and follow the trend in one year I would have 34950 miles(2912.5 mi X 12mos=34950) a three year warranty is up in 36k miles 4) a 10yr 100k miles warranty would be up in 2.9yrs following the trend of 34950miles per year. So you tell me. What use are they?
      On to the tires issue. Well, the tires have been wearing worse on the outside on the front and passenger rear tires. The driver rear tire is the best tire every time. The psi I believe is kept at 30 psi which the manual states to keep them at and are checked as regular as we put gas(it's a habit). My wife and I drive in town mostly so a lot of side streets and so forth so the average speed we drive is maybe 50 mph. When we go on the highway 65-70mph. We don't corner fast at all seeing we drive side streets in town. The tire experts say that this should not be happening even if we were to burn out our tires at every stop light. Especially when using a harder surfaced tire with only 3k miles on it. They stated that the car seems to be dragging the tires instead of rolling on them. The main reason why I've come here is to see if there are anyone else with these problems. I appreciate any suggestions you can give.
    Not to really aggravate you or anything but I'm trying to understand where you are coming from. I owned a 2000 Hyundai Accent (and almost bought the 03 Tib) which was also affected by the hp snafu, but not as greatly as the Tiburon (it was rated at 92 but it really only had 89), so I was in a similar boat but it honestly didn't tick me off at all. I didn't feel cheated when Hyundai didn't offer extended warranties to me either. What I'm trying to understand is this: When the car was rated at 181 and you were perfectly happy with the way the car performed, how has anything changed? The car is still the same car you drove, liked, and bought, correct? Why does the actual rating of the engine change your perspective of it that badly? If it was a mechanical problem that was strangling the engine of power it should be making and Hyundai was refusing to replace it, than I could see where people would get mad. But since the engine never made the power to begin with and actual performance has not been affected by the change, I just don't understand why you are so upset over it. Again, don't take this the wrong way. I just think you may be letting a printed number get too much in the way of the enjoyment of your car.

As for the extended warranties, well, if you keep the car for 2 years, the extended warranty could come in handy. What if the sunroof, power accessories, AC, alternator, or similar part went at 65k? Before Hyundai graciously offered the extended warranty, you would have had to pay for the repair out of pocket. But if you chose the extended bumper-to-bumper, than it would be fixed for free. Obviously, it wouldn't help you if you got rid of the car anytime soon, but the added peace of mind is nice considering Hyundais aren't known for their stellar long term reliability yet.

Hmmm....lots of city driving will wear a tire down quicker but that doesn't explain your problem. If the tires are wearing more on the outside edge on only one side, than something is definitely wrong with the alignment. Either the toe-in is off or the camber. If the car's factory spec suspension calibration was to blame, than both sides of the car would have similar wear patterns, not just the passenger side. 30 psi sounds a tad low for such a heavy car though. I would try increasing the pressure to 32-35 and see if wear decreases some, because low pressure will cause the tires to drag and wear on the outer edges. I ran 30-32 in my little Accent and got excellent wear out of the original tires.
  • No not aggravating me or anything. I understand where you are coming from. You stated that you bought a hyundai accent with also some hp missing than advertised and it doesn't bother you. But you also stated that it was not as much as what was missing in the Tiburon. 1) you bought an Accent which is not a sport car 2) you almost bought a Tiburon doesn't count because you didn't actually buy it, so naturally you would not be affected or "Ticked Off or Feel as cheated" by the missing hp. Because 3) I am more than sure you did not buy the accent because it was competitive in torque, and Horsepower which is a big factor of the performance of a car. Was I happy when I first test drove the car? yes. Was I really able to test the performance of the Tiburon within a 5minutes to maybe 15 minute test drive? NO. Was I really able to test the performance of the car within the first 12k-15k miles of the car? NO. So how would I know that I was paying for something that I was not getting? Other than relying on the ADVERTISED FACTS were in indeed true and tested. Now that I am able to use the car for the performance, yes you can & should tell the difference of 11hp. So you stated that it should not matter because the car never had it in the first place. Well if you bought a computer that you liked and were happy with when you first bought it because of its advertised performance and Megabytes/RAM, and you have not been able to use the total amount of ADVERTISED Megabytes/RAM of the computer and while using it for the moment you still have been happy but had future expectations of it, then all of a sudden just before you were able to use the computer to it's FULL ADVERTISED FACTS, an announcement came out stating that hey sorry but our facts were misrepresented on the Megabytes/RAM and it really doesn't possess the Megabytes/RAM as we stated but here are some extended warranties for you computer in order to make it up to you. Let's just say that there is no way to put the amount or "upgrade" the amount of Megabytes/RAM into the computer permanently w/o spending more of YOUR OWN money to do so, wouldn't this make you feel cheated? Like you bought the computer under FALSE PRETENSE? Like you paid for a good or service that is not going to deliver after you've already spent hard earned money on? Oh, but I forgot, you almost bought this computer, but did not so it would not make a real difference to you nor would you feel as my wife & I do or many other people out there that feel this way. The value of the car has defenitely lessened there to other people who feel the way my wife & I feel.
      The warranties are only temporary unlike the HP. By the time the warranties would be of any worth would be the time I don't have the car any longer and then on top of that I could not include the warranties in the value of the car when and if sold to another person because they don't get the priveledge of that the original owners do.
      Now the tire issue. I didn't say that the passenger side was the only side wearing badly. It is both sides and all four tires. They are all wearing badly, but the best of the bad tires is always on the driverside rear. The psi is whatever the manual states to put. Plus I got professional persons that have delt with my car over this time period(this is not a stab at you or saying you are not a proffessional, but you have not been here to see the physical evidence). Everytime the toe-in has been checked there are no problems with the car per the dealership. Not real sure what the camber is? a little help on that please. : ) But yes the toe-in has been questioned by the pros handling my tire issues.
    I've read the arguments on this in several forums, and many times I've seen the "if you were happy with it when you bought it, why aren't you happy now?" side of the issue. I still enjoy both of our Hyundais, but I also feel cheated by the whole thing. Yes, just a "little bit" cheated, not ripped off, but cheated just the same.

When doing the pre-shoppping comparisons, we tended to look at many factors, including HP/torque to eliminate a number of cars because we didn't want to spend weeks going from dealer to dealer to try every single car in order to do a "fair comparison." We relied on reviews, owners' experiences, and published data to help narrow the field. When we drew artificial lines to eliminate vehicles, we depended on the accuracy of published material to help us. If the rear seats didn't fold down, it was off the list. If the HP/torque figures were skewed negatively, it was off the list. And so on.

Obviously, it's easy to see if a manufacturer made a mistake about folding rear seats. If the published material says "yes" but I get to the dealer and they don't fold down, then I can say, "I want folding seats, so this car is out." I can instantly see whether the competitors have folding seats and react accordingly. Also, I can conclude that the first manufacturer has some communication and credibility problems.

On the issue of power, however, I can't readily compare published figures to what I perceive in the car, and I can't directly compare them to other vehicles, no matter what any of you say. (If I'm taking care to be kind to the vehicle in its first month of service, I won't really know its full power potential then, either.) In fact, I've probably already eliminated some other cars that might truly have more power than publicized because I believed the specs that their manufacturers put out just as I believed the ones that Hyundai put out. What I can do, however, is say "Crap" when Hyundai tells me its information was incorrect and was incorrect for some time and that it never was checked for accuracy. This wasn't a simple typo in one brochure; it was a systemic and ongoing error that caused me to read false information in every place that I looked and to make prebuying decisions based on a belief that Hyundai was telling the truth.

Do we still like our Hyundais and consider them terrific cars? Yes. Will we buy from Hyundai again? Maybe. Then what's my point?

The point is that Hyundai's lack of professionalism and thoroughness created a deceptive picture of its vehicles, that we made prebuying decisions based on that false picture, and that it needs to be responsible in a more tangible way to pay back its loyal customers for its ongoing misinformation. (This would include those who only "lose" 3.9% for example.) Extra roadside assistance or extended warranties may be valuable to some, but they are valueless to others.

Hyundai needs to do something real.
  • problem. It's the fact that they were "promised" 11hp more. I agree, big deal, but people take a view that it's them(the little guy) vs. "The Giant" (Hyundai)in a deal like this and immediately it's a sue-happy compensate me now mentality they put on. For the price the Tiburon is hard to beat and it's true-the 11 hp is not an issue and shouldn't be with anybody. The new-gen Tiburon is the hottest looking sports car on the market. Period.

• I wonder...Maybe the European version has the "promised" extra 11 HP? And maybe, our American version was supposed to be available at that HP, but released at only 170? I don't know. But, I do know the European version is a bit more aggressive, with Eibach springs stock, and more.

I could understand the (the little guy) vs. "The Giant" (Hyundai) if it were an actual important, substantial thing, something major, not 10 HP. Maybe if they promised 10 year warranty and only gave you 3 years, that I could see. I think the fact that I'm even talking about this is ridiculous!! Like the one post I read, "Did your car perform any different after you bought it and learned of 10 less HP?" I think that says it all. I think it's time to get over it and stop sweating the little details. Unless all you want is bragging rights of 180 HP. And I agree, it is the best looking and performing Hyundai they ever made... But I still love my not so "box stock" 99' Cougar. :)
  • I went to these message boards just to see what people thought of the new Tiburon, because my boyfriend was going to buy one. I cannot believe how you guys are crying over 10, no I'm sorry, 11 horsepower that in reality you wouldn't even feel the difference anyway. We test drove the Tiburon, Eclipse GT-S, 2002 left over Cougar 35th Anniversary, and he owns a Celica GT-S, and the Eclipse sticker is about 26 grand, the Cougar sticker was about 23 grand, and the Celica sticker was 25 grand. What's the Tiburon GT? 20 grand sticker? Hmmm... 1)Tiburon fastest...2)They all handle about the same...3)They all ride about the same...4)Interior is slightly nicer in the others, but the Tiburon has all the same as the others...5)Price - how much do you want to spend for basicly the same car?...6)Warranty, yes it is important, to anyone, unless you want less for your money...7)They all look good.

So, with this said, do you still feel cheated? I've been into cars all my life and believe me, what they say on paper doesn't mean a thing!! It's how the car performs when you take it out on the pavement.

If your still so upset about that 10 horsepower, go buy a K&N air filter.
    I don't see anyone "crying over 10" or 11 hp, 'tho I do see some folks yelling at those who have questions about the issue and how it was handled. I'm not sure why anyone would be so concerned over the free expression of an opinion about an automotive issue in a forum devoted to that automobile. I never saw post 113; must have been a doozy. Unfortunately, I don't know what redcat99 (great handle for a Cougar owner, BTW) said or iluvmysephia1 was responding to.

So, in the light of two strong disapprovals from posters to this board, I'll restate it's each person's right to be pleased or displeased with his or her vehicle, or to be pleased with some aspects and displeased with others.

I like both our Hyundais and continue to recommend the brand to others. If I find out Hyundai has been incorrect, inaccurate, or deceptive about something, I'll say so, without putting other people down or trying to discredit their feelings or opinions.

As owners, I believe that our opinions are valid; perhaps more valid than those who have not taken the responsibility of ownership. After all, we're paying for the car, not anyone else. I certainly believe that redcat99 would have more informed opinions about a Cougar than I would, as would iluvmysephia1 about a Sephia (if he/she owns one), and each would have the right to an opinion based on both experience and ownership responsibility.

Let's respect each other.
  • My boyfriend and I have been test driving and researching the Tiburon and others for almost 2 months. Yes, I own a Cougar which was off the subject, but that doesn't change the reason for my opinion. My point was, I checked into this forum to see how people like the Tiburon, if they think it's a good car, or not, before we picked one up. I'm not here bashing anyone's opinions or concerns, but I think for what the actual complaint is, you should be out there enjoying the car for what it is not for what you read, for everything looks good on paper. I'm not trying to hurt anyone else's feelings, but, isn't a forum for open discussion? And all I'm trying to do is MAYBE, for the people who aren't so much into mechanics, see just how little the complaint is, that it's not even worth giving it a second thought. Maybe some people think that an extra 10 HP was a major difference? It's not, no matter what car it is. I'm sorry if you think I need the experience as a Hyundai owner to "put my two cents in", or to understand and feel your pain. And I'll tell you this, from all those others I test drove along with the Tiburon, we will be back at the Hyundai dealer...soon! And no offense to the one who posted it, that they never would have bought the car if they knew it had only 170 HP not the claimed 181 HP, that to me IS crying over it. Especialy because at the ONLY 170 HP rating it is still faster than one with 210 HP and about 6 grand less(Eclipse GT-S). Yes, I agree that Hyundai should have got it straight with the HP rating, but like I said before, be happy with your cars performance if you were happy with it before you heard it had less, it's the feel, not the numbers. For you would really be upset if you knew exactly how much horsepower was really getting to the road, not engine rated.
    I never bashed the guy for his opinion. I was simply asking him to explain further why he felt the way he did, to see if I could understand his view better. And as a former Hyundai owner of a car that was part of the mis-stated hp figures, I think my opinion has a bit more relevance than a non-Hyundai owner.
  • jocko9jocko9 Posts: 65
    Latinracer you should sue Hyundai. There are always contingency fee lawyers around who will take any case. Good luck.
  • I also checked this board to see how many people liked their new Tiburon. Where are all of the glowing reports? Would all of you buy the 2003 again?
  • Redcat99 you make me laugh. : ) Dougndo, Jocko, Thanks for your opinions as well, Yes you to 1ngtonge.
      Redcat, you now have the choice of being an informed buyer of hopefully all the correct facts. I on the other hand did not have the choice 'til thousand of miles after the fact. Warranties won't help me any, maybe if I had just a few thousand miles on the car then maybe the warranties would be of worth to me. Redcat, sorry if you don't believe me when I say I would not have bought the car if I had all the correct facts. You say get an airfilter, well why doesn't Hyundai get it for me? Oh yes, have we forgotten that they don't make anything for the 2003 Tiburon. I for one would have crossed out the Tiburon off my list just because of the Hp as a prereq., that is one of the reasons why I did not get the celica gt-s. : )
      Redcat, yes you too are entitled to your opinion, but the weight of your opinion is light. Only due to the fact like Dougndo said you did not take the responsibility of ownership and I'll go just a step further. You did not take the responsibility of ownership under false material facts which play a mighty role in buying a car.
  • redcat99redcat99 Posts: 5
    What a joke... Does it make you feel better to say I make you laugh? You and people as petty as you make me laugh. The reason why? - You have a great car, especially for the money and you cry because they where wrong to rate it at a measly 10 more HP than the actual. Fact is, if I would have bought it at the rated 180, and found out that it's only 170, I wouldn't even care. And that's the gods honest truth. The difference between you and I, I don't need a piece of paper to ensure me how fast my car is, I drive it and others and know, just how good it is, and save lots of money, too while I'm at it. By the way latinracer, FYI you better learn better where to look for products and aftermarket. I've never seen any other car have so many aftermarket parts available for it in such a short time... get with it. Well, I guess all except of this little problem some of you are having with the hp rating, everyone seems to like their Hyundias. And that is the reason for me being here in the first place. We picked up ours today, and well, that's all for me folks... I know some of you will be glad. Hey, in all, enjoy the car. It is a very nice car. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings... I tend to tell it like it is.
  • redcat99redcat99 Posts: 5
    Yeah, I know I said I was done. I woke up this morning and had it on my mind that you guys just don't understand my point. Yes, I do understand your point.

My point is if Hyundai could take all the people that bought the Tiburon and when they brought their car in for service modify the car to have the rated 180 horsepower, guess what, you would be driving that car out of the dealer saying, "I don't feel any difference."

Like I said before, yes I understand the point of Hyundai should have had it right with the correct rating, but the complaint is about that wouldn't effect you anyway(in reality). You would never notice, so why should it matter so much? Like I also said before, I could see if it was something that effects you, like hey, the car you bought "supposed" to have ABS and doesn't. Then I would say, hey I agree, there's a problem.

The whole deal here is, well Hyundai wasn't completely truthful. In reality, hey it doesn't effect people anyway, but they feel they were they were cheated. Like ilovemysephia1 put it, and I agree, "In a deal like this and immediately it's a sue-happy compensate me now mentality they put on." SAD... Very SAD!!

And yes, this is the last post for me, we are going to be out there enjoying our newest addition. Enjoy yours all!! "The Tib is a sweet ride." :)

And I must say, we already have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S, 1999 Mercury Cougar CE, and a 2003 Mitsibishi Eclipse GT-S in our driveway and for the price, I can't believe how good the Tiburon is. It's in a class with all the other cars and a sticker of about 5 grand less. MUCH better warranty, too! :)
    here focus on what they think... instead of exasperating over other people's opinions. In other word, please leave out the personal comments/jabs (posts 122, 123).

Also, perhaps it's time for some of you to just agree to disagree on certain issues (i.e. Hp). Let's not forget that people like/buy cars for different reasons; and berating people for their opinions will usually not change their attitude... or create any sort of understanding.

Lastly, just a reminder that this discussion was set up primarily for Tiburon owners to share their experiences and news. Please respect their space.

If you any question/comments regarding this matter, please send me an email. And let's get back to the subject of Hyundai Tiburon Owner Experiences & News! Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,694
    this: ENJOY YOUR SWEET NEW RIDE! It's nice to see people who can just realize a good deal when they see one and flick this "I'm gonna sue" BS that permeates this money-grubbing society we live in in America. The new-gen Tiburon is the coolest looking car on the road and the price-point is great. Early indications from owners after having them on American roads for a little over a year now are that the car is holding up very well in the long run. Biggest concerns from people on the Internet car chat sites with this beautiful new car: chipping paint by the spoiler and door sill(the driver's side door has more complaints than the passenger)and the moonroof getting stuck. Yes, the Long-Haul is taking care of people with these issues. I hope to own a new-generation Tiburon in the future. In the meantime I'm loving my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4(the '99 Sephia I coined my nickname from is gone-it did it's job though)and I am so thankful for the recent influx of South Korean cars into the U.S. Great styling and reliable transportation with a killer warranty. Did I mention great low prices? Oh, resale value. Yes, resale value lags with these cars. Still. Oh well, I'll just have to go outside and shine up me Sporty-the Pepper Red is beautiful when the sport-ute is clean. Not a bad rig to be stuck with. Built like a tank but amazingly quiet ride. Believe me these South Korean cars are a great deal. What's so cool is the South Koreans style their cars in a way that makes me reminisce the Chevy Nova SS's of the early 60's or Ford Mustang of the mid 60's or the Chevy Chevelle of the mid-to-late 60's. No kidding. It's a beautiful thing to witness.

• stshanestshane Posts: 15
    I will once again reiterate my posting (#98 in this forum) statements. I love my new Tiburon GT-V6. As for the HP miscalculations, I have to somewhat agree with redcat... when I bought it I thought it had 181 HP, but when I received the mailing telling me otherwise I was just surprised, not in a good or bad way, just surprised. I don't know who had a hand in testing the HP over there in Korea, but I am sure that whoever was messing up the ratings still has a footprint on their backside from getting booted out of the door. I was happy to take the extension of the bumper-to-bumper warranty from 5 to six years.
    My friend has a Mercury Cougar (2.5L V6) and we both think that my car feels faster. His car is a bit lighter, but the torque is what you really "feel" pushing you back in your seat. Since the Tib's 181 ft/lbs of torque is much more than the Cougar's 165 ft/lbs it seems to pull harder and push you back to your seat more.
    The real difference (11 HP) is negligible anyways as this is just the flywheel rating. US specs are quoted at the flywheel, not the tires. This means that most cars make less "actual" horsepwer than advertised anyway. Drivetrain losses are what attribute to this happening.
    This goes with exception of a few vehicles that are either turbo or supercharged. Manufacturers sometimes rate these at the lowest engine output (when the engine is very hot causing the forced-induction air to be hotter). The new Dodge Neon SRT-4 is a perfect example of this. Dodge claims 225 HP at the flywheel, while it is actually much higher. The Neon puts out 223 HP at the wheels! This information can be found on the Sport Compact Car Magazine website(www.sportcompactcarweb.com). This magazine dynos most of the cars it tests. This method directly calculates how much a car puts out at the wheels (which is where the power is actually put down).
    If you would like to see the dyno results of the Tiburon from an acutal test done by Sport Compact Car Mag then go to the following link
    http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0204scc_8great03/index- .html
    This puts the actual output of the engine at 148 peak HP and the torque peaks at 161 ft/lbs. None of this really matters to me because I love this car the way it is. I might eventually put some simple mods on just to increase throttle response (K&N air filter, a more freely flowing exhaust), but these aren't even necessary as the car performs the way I expected, whether the HP is 181 (first claimed), 170 (now claimed), or 148 (actual HP at wheels). Hope this helps everyone.
  • danhaabdanhaab Posts: 2
    11 horsepower at the flywheel, assuming a 15% loss through the drivetrain is about 9 horsepower to the wheels...or wheel lol. If it were just peak horsepower you would probably not really notice it. If it were an average increase of 9 horsepower throughout the power band, then you would notice it.

Anywho...when the numbers were orignally published, they were listed as 181 hp and 171 lb-ft. of torque. It seems as if the numbers were just transposed.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,694
    and nothing else. I gotta get a new Tib! That car is so cool looking I can't believe it! 171hp or 181hp or whatever. Who cares! Not I said the fly.