Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,155
    I consider shopping for a car to be entertainment... :P

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• tba2tba2 Posts: 15
    Normally, yes...well, maybe. lol.
    But in THAT span of 5 days:
    -The wife's van died (it was an expected death..it was in autohospice, painless but it had lived a good life).
    -Our clothes drier died (completely unexpected) and we had to order one that took a 5 days to get here. We rack dried stuff for that 5 days. Crispy dried clothes and towels was weird.
    -My wife's mom had to have emergency surgery and they found cancer. Her father already has had a stroke and needed her mom to care for him, now she and the other kids are having to care for them both. Our local Enterprise was OUT of cars that day of the wreck. She is driving the in laws van for right now.
    -My son's Playstation 3 died (unexpected)
    These are just the abnormal things that happened, in addition to the normal life things that get sideways.
    And then, the perfect vehicle I'd been looking for showed up! Been used by an ole lady for church/Walmart for 10 years then back in the garage, with only 97K on it. PERFECT/shiny mint condition.

And then, 2.5 days later, it's totaled because this lady frank pulls right out in front of my wife on a bypass, 2 more foot and she'd have tboned the woman at 55 MPH in driver her door.
    So...yes, normally I like the car looking thing.
    Not so much at this point though.
    So, join me for a whiney beer!! (or two)
    :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,955
    edited April 2013
    Ouch, lots of grief to deal with in a short time. :sick:

The trick to drying clothes on the line is to take them down when they are first "dry". If you let them hang around they turn to corrugated cardboard. I do mine that way in the basement, but then again, I'm cheap frugal.

That reminds me, my insurance is due and it's been a year since I got quotes.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Good stuff!
    Thanks man for the clothes dryer advice.
    Corrugated cardboard was weird underwear. :shades:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,534
    edited April 2013
    You've had a really bad run of events. You have my sympathy about trying to handle all that.

>Corrugated cardboard was weird underwear.

Talking about underwear, check out this latest use for old underwear: shoes from Jockey.

I'm going to guess that the ad came out on April 1st?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,534
    >April 1st?

Right. That won my belly laugh of the day award--after I realized it was a joke. I read into the link for a minute before I caught on. But my toes were cringing at the thought of being inside someone else's old underwear.
    haha, that's good stuff.
    That came out the same day that Redbox sent me an email that they were now selling bologna/ham/swiss cheese in their kiosks. LOL.
    I needed that laugh.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    The correlation between "no fault" States and extremely high costs versus States with at-fault policies, that have extremely low costs for insurance?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that would happen. If there's little consequence to causing accidents, then people won't care and therefore you have more accidents. Sometimes I think 5% of the drivers are causing 95% of the wrecks; any data on that?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,955
    edited April 2013
    Michigan is no fault and the rates are awful.

Michigan Tops Another Auto-Insurance Cost List (SB Wire)

Idaho is a "comparative negligence" state and our insurance was about half there - same vehicles, just older now (as are the drivers :shades: ).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,981
    Here in CA, I pretty much plan on keeping comp/collision forever on my car, because my odds of being hit by an uninsured motorists are high in some areas --estimates vary from 10% to 65% uninsured. I read one report that suggests 90% in some parts of some cities, but that sounds insane. :surprise:

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,347
    Compare the cost of Collision to the premium for Underinsured Motorist Property Damage Liability. The latter may be a lot less, yet still provide coverage for fixing your car due to an uninsured driver. ;)
    yes I thought of that but the conventional wisdom seems to say "well if you have comp/collision you don't need UMPD". But in CA, comp/coll is quite expensive, so maybe you have a good idea there.

There comes a point at which a car might not worth enough to carry comp/coll. We've had this discussion before as to what that value might be (when to drop comp/coll) but we never reached a consensus.

IIRC, some of us thought around $5000 or less for the car's value.

Full coverage on an "extra" car with a value of around $4000 is only about $350/yr total for us.... no point in dropping full coverage once its gets that cheap.....

• tommister2tommister2 Mechanicsville, VAPosts: 150
    Same here. Full coverage on my extra vehicle (a 1994 Jeep Wrangler) is only a few hundred per year and most of that is liability which I'm required to have anyway. The Jeep is worth about $3500. I'd rather pay the premiums and get (or hope to get) the insurance money if the Jeep is totalled, than not pay and just have a crashed Jeep. :sick:
    1994 Jeep Wrangler, 1997 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2012 Honda Pilot, 2013 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Mustang GT
    10 years ago (the last time I checked), that UMPD coverage if you didn't have collision was limited to $3,500. Perfect if your old car is worth about that much.

Of course, if your agent forgets to check the UMPD box and only puts you down for UM-L, then you get shafted by your insurance company.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    If that happens, I suggest you find a better agent, and quickly. If that actually HAS happened to you, I think you've set the record for people I know who've been shafted by the most companies. If you need a better agent, I'm sure we can recommend one!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Oh it was over 10 years ago and I never looked back. I quickly never used that agent again. Don't know why they were so nasty, I'm sure they had errors and omissions insurance to cover such mistakes, don't understand why they had to be so corrupt, dishonest, and plain nasty.
    Over 15 years ago E & O prevention among the professional agents had the applicants sign an agreement that the coverage was offered, but rejected by the insured.
    Insurance is intended to prevent a financial catastrophe, not cover maintenence losses so carry high limits of Liability and high deductibles. :)
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    reason for U/M is for the bodily injury portion...so, if you get injured by an uninsured or underinsured (low limits of liability) motorist, you have coverage to compensate you for injuries, pain and suffering, simply because you bought the policy to cover THEM, those uninsured worthless people...:):):)
    There's a whole libertarian movement around mandatory insurance and why it allegedly infringes on personal liberties and should be abolished.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,067
    Tell that to Obama. Sounds like we need a libertarian in the W/H.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

One must never, ever confuse political rhetoric with what a politician will actually do once elected. We like our presidents the way we've liked 'em for 30+ years...centrist, leaning slightly right or slightly left.

The problem with uninsured motorists is not the laws, it's that they aren't enforced! :mad:

Insurance is intended to prevent a financial catastrophe, not cover maintenence losses so carry high limits of Liability and high deductibles.

You call being rear-ended by an uninsured hit and run driver, and having the resultant $900 in damages a maintenance loss? Give me a break. And yes, my partner was instructed to obtain the hit and run uninsured license plate before he could run, and she did, and the police report was filed, and they did not contest they caused the wreck. Seems to me the $3,500 dollar coverage would be perfect for this. Remember, there is no deductible on uninsured claims, so it's great coverage! (Yes, I know getting a collision deductible waiver is a bit extra money, but money well spent, but this is UMPD which means you don't have collision). By getting it your saying I will never cause an accident, but I can't control other drivers.

It might not have been a catastrophe, but it sure would have been nice since I had verbally, over the phone, and via fax in-writing requested uninsured coverage over a period of time and several attempts, including uninsured property damage coverage. But the in person request was mistakenly ignored by the agent, the phone calls forgotten by both agent and insurer, the fax had a confirmation, proof of delivery (direct to the insurer as I already figured my agent incompetent and unable), yet it was ignored by "examiner error."

My argument that CA requires an insurer to provide uninsured coverage in CA by law, which includes offering UMPD coverage by law, went ignored by the company and by the Dept. of Insurance in CA. It is not optional, it MUST be provided by the company if the customer elects it.

By denying my repeated attempts to obtain the coverage, they in essence denied my right to having it, which in essence meant they were not providing it. I kept the fax confirmation for the day of reckoning, and threw them under the bus full heartedly with the Dept of Insurance. Unfortunately, that department drives a bus that weighs about 5 pounds, and didn't inflict any damage.
    edited April 2013
    There are tons of accidents where there are no injuries (I'm sure the vast majority). Therefore, the chances of ever being injured by an uninsured motorist are far lesser than the chances of being caused property damage by an uninsured motorist.

I'd rather bet on the insurance I might actually use some day vs. the stuff that most likely will never ever happen in 1,000 years of driving.

As to making insurance mandatory, it makes sense, but everyone needs to buy-in. Enforcement is failing.

If you are for Obamacare, then you should be for Obama Auto Care insurance. Get rid of the insurance companies, and create one government mandated auto insurance company that everyone must buy into. They couldn't possibly run it any worse or rip you off any more than the insurance cabal already does.

I'm for Obamacare (though they should have taken it further and eliminated the need for insurance companies) , and I'm for eliminating auto insurance companies as well. Takes profit out of the equation.

We could have Amtrak Auto Insurance and Post Office health care; those groups need work.
    In other words, you failed to read your policy after it was issued. :P
    In other words, you failed to read your policy after it was issued.

Perhaps that is true, however, the agent and insurance company failed on the following counts:

1) Failed to make the policy as the customer requested (either deliberately fraudulently, or through negligence and incompetence).

2) Failed to make corrections and/or changes to the policy after the customer did read their policy and discovered the error and oversight.

3) Failed to be responsive, failed to answer the phone, and failed to do what they were told to do.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    We disagree...I believe you are simply wrong...I will agree that most accidents do not cause SERIOUS, disabling injuries, but most folks do suffer from the typical neck and back pain from the whiplash effect, which happens as low as 10 mph...these are the injuries most commonly treated by phyical therapy and chiropractors...but the injuries are still there...

The states have the right (or the power) to mandate insurance on the concept of "rational basis"...just like they can set speed limits on roadways, they can, and should, mandate insurance for cars...

Considering how many are moderately injured, I am surprised that states let folks carry limits as low as $25K (Georgia) when I believe the minimum limit should be $100K...the number of folks who cause moderate injuries but beat the system by having low limits is disgusting...if you hurt someone, you ought to have the coverage to pay for what you did...
    Ok, it's all done now but the paperwork. I won't go into all of the details here, but let's just say I'm satisfied. (as I can be)
    They offered an amount for the totaled vehicle, I said I needed more, they redid some things and came up with quite a bit more. So, I came out with about 400 more than I had in it WITH the trade I had put in. So, I'm happy.
    Then, they sent me to file for pain and suffering, which I did. And, they did put some in for the pain my family experienced (and still are some) from the seat belt and air bag deployment. Also, they gave me money for a rental car that we didn't use.
    Although I still am mourning the loss of the most perfect used vehicle I'ver even seen, let alone owned...I'm very very pleased with the outcome from her insurance company.
    They went above and beyond...and some of it was voluntary. The lady just kept trying to find more $$ for the totaled vehicle. And, she even called today saying one was about 100 miles from here similar. But, I didn't want it.
    It was ugly. Mine was cherry. :P
    So...we'll move on from here and find something else.
    I want to say thanks to this forum for help and guidance in a situation I was very unfamiliar with how to handle. Gave me some confidence to go into battle a little more informed.

BTW>The woman who hit my wife told a mutual friend that it really wasn't 'either of our faults..we just sort of came together/merged'.
    haha...
    The accident report says different and that's what counts.
    Merging is mutual.
    Pulling out in front of a vehicle going 45 is not mutual.
    :)
    but most folks do suffer from the typical neck and back pain from the whiplash effect, which happens as low as 10 mph...these are the injuries most commonly treated by phyical therapy and chiropractors...but the injuries are still there...

Injuries at 10 MPH??? Sounds like lawyer magic to me. Probably just aggravated existing injuries. Previous existing conditions. Also, put your head rest up in the proper position!

I like rational basis, but how come the speed limits are set artificially low by politicians rather than at the scientific 85th percentile set by engineers and scientists?

It's a money grab. Unfortunately, when the State mandates something, consumers automatically get gouged. Take a look at the price of a 10 minutes Smog check lately? Must take someone with the skill of $300/hour to do a smog check. Are lawyers opening up smog shops? :P