Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,067
    Did you recover the sales tax on the totaled vehicle?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    I didn't say that everything the states do is reasonable, but things like setting speed limits (would you drive 70 mph thru a school zone or hosiptal zone?) is reasonable, along with mandating insurance for cars...

Yes, folks can get injured at 10 mph...often they may have a pre-existing condition, but that does not change the injury...rear-ending a person with spinal osteoporosis can result in compression fractures and other types of serious injuries...while most are NOT injured at 10 mph, it can, and does, happen...you just don't see enough of it to matter, and yes, I may see more of it because they come to me because of those injuries...

Discs can herniate in low speed collisions (MRI verified) and bones can fracture...
  • tba2tba2 Posts: 15
    Yep, Sales tax, title transfer fees, and the best price she could find on a similar vehicle in excellent condition. She had the pics to verify it's beauty and mint condition.
    She was extremely understanding and helpful.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    If it was State Farm you dealt with, I've had a couple of similarly good experiences with them settling claims. I'm sure there are other good insurance companies, but their agents & staff (at least the ones I've dealt with) seem to be well-trained.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I've had State Farm for years - when my son totaled the '98 Tracker, I never saw a bill for any of the medical treatment. And my daughter was flown to the hospital via helicopter!

After that day, my wife doesn't have any issues with what we pay for insurance.

Glad to hear that you got everything you wanted on your claim.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Interestingly, if you self-insure in CA you are required to post a $50K bond to fund the self-insurance. That's more than the legal minimums an insurance company gets away with!

Cities are allowed to self insure for $0.00. I know because a La Mesa PD officer rear ended my back bumper and caused $667 in damages with his Harley PD bike.

I told my insurance company to shove it and cover it under "uninsured" since the City didn't have insurance. They told me to pound sand and wait until the city handles the claim.

Actually, to be honest, Mercury was very nice, and covered my deductible (they didn't have to, which is the reason I wanted to invoke the uninsured insurance because then I wouldn't have to pay the deductible while waiting to get reimbursed by the city). They also paid me for the repairs and let me tell the city to reimburse them instead of making me wait for my money.
    Cities can have what is called "sovereign immunity", which means that they are immune from any lawsuits UNLESS THEY ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE LIABLE...

About 8 years ago I had a situation where a city vehicle collided with my client, causing severe vehicle damage and moderate injuries...it was than that I found out that the City of Atlanta, which had sovereign immunity, did allow themselves to be liable for the damages and injuries, TO THE AMOUNT OF $1,000.00 AND NO MORE...

Hard to believe, but if they had totalled the car and had hospitalized 4 occupants, each, say, with $15,000 worth of hospital bills, the total amount that the city would pay is $1,000.00 per incident...not $1,000.00 per person, $1,000.00 for the entire vehicle and personal injuries...

OTOH, the City of Augusta, GA had an insurance policy of $250K/$500K liability limits...it is up to each municipality to decide what they want their liability to be...

I do not know if Atlanta still has the $1,000.00 limit, but if that isn't an argument for high limits on YOUR Uninsured Motorists, I don't know what is...
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    edited April 2013
    But my insurance company said the City was not uninsured, that they were self-insured. So it wouldn't matter if you had 1,000 or 1,000,000 dollars worth of uninsured coverage with the city being liable, the insurance company would simply say coverage doesn't apply.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yesterday while driving up I-65 north, a punk threw an aluminium can out of a school bus
    window. It bounced up and hit the front of my 2012 Honda Civic lease. Can left a small scratch. Body shop says $560 to repair properly, but doesn't think Honda leasing would say anything about it. I called the Jefferson County School system and reported bus number, time and place of incident.They say they will check their security cameras, and I am to call back Monday.

I would like to just take the money as compensation, instead of having the bumper pulled off and repainted. Am I allowed to do this? Kentucky.
    edited May 2013
    jip, if "proof" shows up on the security camera, you might have a shot. Just try to make some sort of private settlement with the school district/kid without involving the insurance carriers.

Hopefully they will just consider it a nuisance (the claim, not you :)) and settle.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    edited May 2013
    It varies a lot, but chances are the school district is self-insured.

Of course, the buses may be run by some contracted outfit.

Better go find the can in the ditch so you can get the prints and DNA off it, Jip. ;)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,347
    That's why the claim draft is payable to the claimant AND the repairer. Doesn't your lease agreement say something about receiving $ that is really designated to go to the owner of the car?
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

The lease agreement says I should report Amy damages to them. But as a conservative libertarian, I think it's none of their business. :P

Will let you know Monday how it turns out. Not really that NOTICEABLE, but if Honda is really picky with lease turn ins, I may have to pay.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 797
    If the school system pays the $560 or even offers a smaller amount to settle, I doubt they will bother making the check payable to the claimant AND the body shop. Chances are very good that either they are self-insured, or they will choose to pay this claim out of their funds and not involve their insurer(s). It would be in their best interest to pay it out of petty cash or as a miscellaneous expense than to file an insurance claim for such a small amount. Commercial carriers hate small claims and a $1000 claim might cause you more trouble and higher premiums in the future, or even non-renewal, and a $50,000 claim could get approved and paid in a few days!

As for the lease holder not repairing the car with the money. The way I look at it, if he/she hangs onto the money and doesn't repair the damage, the lease-end inspection when the car is turned in will be the day of reckoning. If they decide that it constitutes "Excess Wear & Tear" then he'll be required to pay and it could be more or less than the amount he receives from the school system. If not, he would have wasted the money on the repair if he had it done, but instead he made $560!

If the rest of the car is in excellent condition, inside and out, they will be more likely to allow a single slightly 'excess' wear issue.

Is there any chance that a professional detailer could wax/buff/polish any of it out or make it less noticeable? What about touch-up paint, would it do any good?

I should be ashamed to admit this, but I had to my new Mazda CX-9 in three times before they correctly repaired a minor flaw that I noticed during the delivery inspection the night I bought it! It has a rubber gasket that surrounds the entire headlight unit to secure keep it from making contact with surrounding body panels. There was a kink in the rubber on the driver's side headlight and it was protruding slightly beyond the edge of the headlight.

They told me there was no way to replace the gasket because it is actually part of the headlight assembly. They would need to replace the entire assembly which would require a District Service Manager approval. One headlight assembly costs over $900 for my car, thanks to the Xenon headlights, kinda scary! So I picked up my car about six hours later, it was dark and I glanced and it looked okay, so I took it home.

A few days later, I realized that they had simply removed the headlight assembly, removed the part of the rubber gasket that was damaged and reinstalled it. So there was now a tiny gap about two inches long in the seam that should be filled with rubber! I called and told them I would be bringing it back a few days later, when it was convenient for me, they WOULD install a totally new headlight assembly and I would expect them to have a loaner vehicle waiting for me because they had already wasted too much of my time!

They did just as I instructed, I think they were afraid not to because I had been so nice up to that point and I finally snapped! When I get to that point, I'm not very nice and I lose the ability to censor my thoughts before they come out of my mouth! =)

They loaned me a base model Mazda3 that had 2000 miles on it, so I assume it was a regular loaner car and not from their inventory. It wasn't very clean inside and had been smoked in (yuck!) but I drove it anyway. I had several appointments with customers that day, so I was in and out the car at least 10 times. I noticed that it was scuffed on the the front right corner where someone either hit it or someone driving it hit another car in a parking lot. The driver's side door was horribly scratched, especially within an 8-10 inch diameter of the door handle. I was surprised at how much abuse the car had apparently suffered. I eventually discovered that it didn't have Keyless Entry, no wonder the driver's door looked like it had been keyed...it HAD been, by each person who drove it and hadn't used a key to unlock the door in years!

I headed back to pick up my CX-9 for the second time in one week and it was already dark when I left my office. The dealership was located 30+ minutes away via a 2-lane highway in the opposite direction of my house. So I would be driving for the next two hours on two-lane roads and it was all because of the jerks in the service department! There's an old bridge along the way where the road narrows slightly and, even though I've gone over it countless times in my life, I still get nervous because you only have about 2-inches of space from the side of the bridge if you want to keep your car on your side of the yellow line! I'm always afraid I'll scrape a wheel on that concrete railing base on the bridge.

I was a few car lengths behind a minivan as I approached the bridge. Just as the minivan was about half way across, it ran over a piece of sheet metal in the road that was at least 4'x4' and it sailed just over my hood and down the side of the car before making contact about 3-4 inches ahead of the back wheel! It sheered off paint down to bare metal on an area of the door about the size of a half-dollar, and a another place on the small area between the door and wheel well the size of a a quarter. It also left some scrapes below those areas that weren't nearly as deep. It also took the mudguard off the left rear but didn't damage the bumper.

I consider myself a very honest person an my conscience bothers me about the slightest things until I correct the situation to the best of my ability. The few times that I have accidentally opened my car door into another car, if it caused the slightest ding, I left my info for the owner and told them I'd pay for paintless dent removal. If it caused a nick in the paint but no dent, I left a $20 to buy touch-up paint along with a note to explain what I did and what the money was for, but I also left my name and number if they didn't feel that was sufficient. The only call I've ever received was a thank you and the guy trying to give me my $20 back!

But after I inspected the damage that evening, I bolted to the nearest store to buy some kind of wax and something to buff with. The car was Black, so I grabbed the only thing they had that was black- a Sharpie Marker! A lot of the scratching came out with the was and some serious buffing. The Sharpie wouldn't stick because it was down to the metal, there was nothing for the ink to adhere to! Then I remembered that I had a bottle of Black Heavy-Duty Shoe Polish & Scratch Cover in my briefcase! It worked quite well as primer, then two coats of Sharpie Black for the final coats....and back the loaner into a corner spot away from the building and close enough to right curb that no one can even walk beside it,.....grab keys to my CX-9 and head home. It never happened....

I suppose my payback was that one of the Xenon bulbs in the new headlight assembly didn't work and I had to take it back again, but they changed the bulb in 10 minut
    They got the fool that threw the aluminum can out the bus window on video. Knowing the public school system it was probably a beer can. Will know more tomorrow.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    Ah, wonder if you'll be dealing with the kid's parent's insurance carrier now.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

edited May 2013
    Jefferson County Transportation said they would turn info over to their insurance adjuster tomorrow. The adjuster will look at my car, determine damages and offer a settlement...right? I've already have a body shop estimate of $560. But the scratch is small. But I could have been killed if I'd panicked and swerved. My State Farm agent is checking to see if I can take the "cash out" option.

This is the third claim I've had on this car in 2 months... none my fault of course. Oriving paranoid now. Probably my last lease. I'll stick with the clunkers. :sick:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,536
    edited May 2013
    >the aluminum can out the bus window on video. Knowing the public school system it was probably a beer can.

I have to disagree with the stereotype of "public" schools. That is just an assumption based on stereotypes Rush Limbow has tried to build through the decades about public schools--sort of like SNL's perpetual ridicule of the one party while blind to the other. In reality about the school, with experience of our public schools in Ohio under our belts, I'd suggest it's the parochial school bus students more likely to have thrown a beer can instead of a soda can and to have students who feel it's okay to do dangerous things like throwing a can out the window because it's all about being better than others to begin with as well as the point they are used to getting by with such things in parochial/charter schools because their parents step in and threaten to take Johnnie and their friends out of the school, causing the school to lose income, if the folk running the parochial don't do what those important parents want. Right? :sick:

I hear Mandy (840 AM Louisville radio) repeated bashing the problems in -Jefferson Cty (Louisville metro) schools because she's in favor of adding for-profit charters along with parochials.

My wife retired after 30.5 years in our great public school system in Ohio. The tales she told about parochial and charter students returning to our public school would curl your toes. And they weren't even old enough to drink beer instead of soda. :)
    edited May 2013
    I would bet the farm that your wife is/was a wonderful teacher, but the only people who think our public schools are great, either work for them or get a pension from them. Some are good, most are horrible.

edited May 2013
    Hey Steve, and everyone else, looks like I'm going to Disney World. At least this will pay for the gas to get there. Or... maybe I will get it fixed. :confuse:

The claims adjuster just came by the house. He took photos of the damage. I gave him the estimate from the body shop. Without me asking, he said that they would try to get the check ($560) out in the mail to me today. Stated I could either get the car fixed or "pocket the money." Exactly what I wanted to hear. :shades:

Said he's been working as claim adjuster for 4 years, and in all that time only one parent has come forward to pay for damage their child caused. So to answer your question earlier Steve, the school system does not go after getting compensation from the at fault individual or their insurance.

I would like to call the school system back and see what type of punishment this individual gets, if any. I'm sure they would say its a confidentiality issue. I think at the very least the kid should be made to apologize. Anyhow... drinks on me. :P
    edited May 2013
    Well, that was a bit of a joke backed with truth.

When I was a sophomore in a parochial high school, we got one of those public school students that had gotten kicked out of his school. Besides selling drugs (to other former public school students) and using between class periods, he brought a handgun to school one day, which back in those days just didn't happen in our finer schools... are rare even in the bad ones.

Anyhow, we have our good public schools and bad... like any other city. One individual act does not represent the whole, but in talking to people, reading , and watching the news... the vast majority of problems come from the public schools. People tend not to want to spend all the money it takes to send their kid to a parochial school, if their kids is going to behave like a delinquent.

Love the Mandy show too.

Now back on topic before I get into trouble again. :cry:
    edited May 2013
    >Anyhow, we have our good public schools and bad... like any other city. One individual act does not represent the whole,

I figured we could talk about it sensibly that there's no one stereotype. I'm always amazed by those who love to push the stereotype.

Glad you got the payment. I am really surprised they aren't setting their own lower amount for damage. I'm happy for you that you got lucky and the camera was on and they could identify the "chil."

My kind of luck on getting an insurance payment is bad luck. The black Cobalt's rear soft bumper got pushed in the apartment parking lot at The Ohio State University and the paint flaked off in spots and crackled in others from the movement. No one came forward to say they had caused the damage. The 3 rows are fairly tight and cars larger than a Cobalt or Civic are hard to wiggle out of the spots. Guess my own checkbook will wait till he's moved to a better apartment location and then bring car home and pay for rear bumper repair myself.
    Glad you got the payment. I am really surprised they aren't setting their own lower amount for damage

Thanks. At the moment I do feel a bit lucky on getting the money. With my brand new Civic... not so much.

I was rear ended at a stop sign about 3 weeks ago by some lady who was uninsured. Body shop estimate was about a grand. I should have called the cops, but it was after picking my son up from school, and the uninsured motorist's daughter was in my sons class. No one was hurt. And I really didn't see any damage at the time (put a crease into bumper that was difficult to see with lighting).

The "lady" initially presented me her insurance information. Later when I called Safe Auto, they said she dropped their insurance 6 months ago. She would not answer my calls and was avoiding speaking directly to me. I think she had something called "Sly Dial", which allows you to make calls to someones phone, directly to their answering machine, without that persons phone ringing. She would leave messages on my phone, but my phone never rang. And yes, I checked, was set to ring and vibrate.

Anyhow, after my insurance carrier left her a message saying they would go after her for reimbursement (for paying out on my claim), and also that she would be subjected to a $1,000 fine and loss of license for driving without insurance... she decided to call me and settle up.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,206
    I live about half-way between jipster and imidazol... and I'll chime in here, in favor of public schools, at least in our part of the country...

jip... let me guess... Trinity? :P

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

jip... let me guess... Trinity?

Oh good gosh no! :sick:

My dad went to St. X, but I went to DeSales, which was only a few miles from where we lived. :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    In places I've lived, it seems the quality of public education is correlated with the education, or interest in education, of the population in that area. Where I live now, public schools are great - but it's also the 13th most educated town in the nation: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top25s/educated.html

When I lived in St. Louis, the 'burbs that had higher percentages of educated adults had better public schools. Seems the same in Kansas City, though none of my kids ever went to school there.

Also, moving to Columbia, MO dropped my auto insurance by about 30%. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

where the public schools are not that good (many public school graduates, upon matriculating to a GA University, find they spend their "freshman" year in remedial courses), yet, with Emory University, Georgia Tech and Univ of Georgia, we have some fine universities...what a dichotomy.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,347
    Self esteem inflation is more prevalent in the public schools because the main function of the teacher is to keep the average daily attendance as high as possible. The state rewards the district accordingly. To encourage attendance, the teachers don't assign homework so when Pimple Face enters a 4 year university, he spends (wastes) a lot of money (tuition) taking Bonehead English, Remedial Math, Sucker Science, & other needy courses so he might be eligible a year later as a Red shirt Freshman. ;)
    >only people who think our public schools are great, either work for them or get a pension from them. Some are good, most are horrible.

What would Richard64 say to that?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,206
    That's not our experience at all.. and, our son graduated just last year.

Lots and lots of homework, 30 hours (not a typo) of advanced placement college credit, and Honors classes for freshman year in college. And, he wasn't even in the top 10% of his graduating class.

All in our local public school.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs