Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents

1169170171172173175»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 18,069
    The other guy should be responsible for replacing your car and for paying the difference between it's value and the payoff.

Good luck!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 9,309
    I doubt that it would be totaled ... generally, the cost of repairs has to equal some percentage of the car's value (I want to say 75%, but don't hold me to that).

That means you'd have to have $24,000 worth of damage.

But, I agree with @isellhondas‌ - the other party's insurance should cover your repairs or your loss.

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 42,406
    "Detroit has the dubious distinction of being the most expensive location for car insurance rates, according to a new study that breaks down insurance cost by ZIP code.

Brooklyn, New York took 2nd place on the most expensive list, followed by Philadelphia."

Study Uncovers Top 10 Most Expensive Locations for Car Insurance Rates

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 46,199
    It really all depends on what the estimate of damage is. If the estimate is a certain percentage of the car's value, the insurance company will total it. Insurance companies have discretion as to how much this percentage is. It can range from 50% to approx. 65%. In this case, you probably want to hope they will total it. If they don't, and you have to accept the repaired car, you can still make a claim against the other party's insurance company for "diminshed value"---that is, what % of value you have lost because the car now has a 'black mark' on it, and would be harder to sell for full value. You'll need to hire an appraiser who specializes in Diminished Value claims, since insurance companies don't like to pay this type of claim and will resist. So everything has to be done very professionally.

If the other party's insurance company refuses to pay DV you have the option of suing them for "bad faith" (small claims?) and/or suing the party you hit you directly. By suing the party who hit you, that usually gets a rise out of their insurance company to settle up with you.

Hopefully, none of this will have to happen, and you'll get paid off for a total.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,387
    I have a DV claim pending in small claims court for Feb. 4. I'm suing the guy that hit me because Mercury Insurance is a bad faith insurer that doesn't negotiate fairly. They told their guy to postpone the small claim so now it'll be 3/11. Just another unnecessary delay for BS reasons "scheduling conflict" when the defendant received notice more than a month ahead of time.
  • kkendrajkkendraj Posts: 4
    Back in September I was in an accident where the other peron drove head on into my lane and hit me. The accident is still trying to be figured out seeing as it was a four car accident. My insurance is currently paying for everything while another insurance is investigating the situation to see who and how much the other insurances owes mine. Nothing will be finalized till the end of next month. My car is now totaled and I have a loan on the car, my insurance wants to give me 9600 when I owe a little under 12k. I don't see how it's fair that I am not at fault and I'm the one who gets screwed. My guy said that even when the other insurance companies finally pick up the tab that they won't pay what I owe and that's just how it works... Is this correct? 
    Yes, that's how it works. The other insurance company will pay you what the car is worth and what it is worth has nothing to do with what you owe on it. You can always sue them for the difference but you probably won't prevail.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 42,406
    edited January 28
    @kkendraj, what's the make, model and year of your wrecked car?

This article has a good overview of the process:

Confessions of an Auto Claims Adjuster

(btw, I deleted your other discussion since you found this one).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

@stever‌, thank you for deleting. 2008 mistubishi eclipse SE. I just don't see how I'm the party that isn't at fault but I'm the one who is basically being punished. I now have to drive a pos(atleast it's a car) and have 2 car payments now. How does the innocent party get screwed? I just want my life to go back to the day before the accident. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 46,199
    Well I think the argument goes like this---your insurance contract promises to pay you Fair Market Value, whereas your loan includes finance costs which are over and above FMV considerations; however, you don't have to accept their offer. You can counter offer or you can hire your own appraiser if he/she thinks they can come up with a higher number (and prove it). And even if the insurance company rejects your appraiser's appraisal, they might bump up their offer. If all else fails, you have the right to an arbitration hearing (which you pay 1/2 of) and the appraiser is your advocate in the hearing, facing the insurance company's appraiser, in front of (or by phone) a refereee that is mutually agreed upon by the two parties. Your appraiser has to be careful which referee he agrees to, because some are in the pocket of the insurance companies. This system is quite corrupt but it is still possible to get a good outcome. If you hire an appraiser and are forced to arbitration , this is going to cost you maybe an additional $600 bucks or so, so take that into account before you refuse the insurance company's second (hopefully better) offer.

You might say that it would be foolish for an insurance company to hire an appraiser and pay for 1/2 an arbitration rather than just give you the money they will spend---but they will hire them anyway.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

kkendraj said:

@stever‌, thank you for deleting. 2008 mistubishi eclipse SE. I just don't see how I'm the party that isn't at fault but I'm the one who is basically being punished. I now have to drive a pos(atleast it's a car) and have 2 car payments now. How does the innocent party get screwed? I just want my life to go back to the day before the accident. 

What it boils down to is being upside down on a car loan leaves a person vulnerable when something like this happens. It may not sound "fair" but an insurance company is only liable for the market value of your car and what you happen to owe on it is of no concern to them.

You can certainly take Mr. Shiftright's suggestion and find out what happens. Just the threat of arbitration may very well cause the insurance company to raise their offer but be aware they can be real stubborn too and they have people on their staff whose job it is to fight.

Good luck!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 9,309
    One other suggestion I can make is to go on-line and look for cars like yours (year, trim, mileage) that are for sale - this should give you (and the insurance company) an idea of the cost to replace your car with one just like it.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Awesome! (Sarcastic) oh well, I'm suing them in any case for injuries so hopefully I'll get enough to finish off the loan and get me atleast a down payment on a better car than the pos I'm currently stuck in. 
    Thanks for your help though.