Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents

1171172173174175177»

Comments

• rwolfe546rwolfe546 Posts: 1
    I have a 2015 wrangler unlimuted sport with all the options it is also lifted with larger tires and aftermarket bumpers with 15k miles

A lady ran a stop sign and hit me it is at the body shop now getting a estimate

So they are ordering a transmission line to get that filled and sealed then they have to take it to a bigger shop that can do body on frame and not uni body

They said the frame shifted to a diamond and is putting pressure on the passenger side of the cab so they ar3 going to take it to a frame shop to get measurements and see how  far out of whack it is. So at this point it needs the whole front clip plus a front axel and suspension and maybe a frame

What are the odds it will get fixed or totaled?

What is the cash value I could potentially get if it is totaled ?

I live in PA  

• karhill1karhill1 Posts: 131
    Regarding our current auto insurance. I have had GEICO for years. Last year the premium rose to around $2,100 for two new vehicles in the DC area. I called around and found a better policy from a good company for about $1,400. I signed up. I then called GEICO to cancel. They immediately dropped the price to $950 a year and for better coverage. I stayed with GEICO. This year the GEICO premium did not rise.

I mentioned to the agent how it amazes me companies spend so much money trying to entice folks to purchase their products while at the same time they seem to have no problem trying to gouge their existing customers. Needless to say, the agent did not say much.

I had a similar issue with COMCAST. My monthly bill rose from $225 to nearly $350. I have everything including the fastest internet. A simple call got the bill reduced to $210 with more included.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,553
    Same thing with Sirrius/XM too.

Geico could be another $50 cheaper if they'd lay off the zillions of lizard ads that inundate the airways 24/7. But they got to keep up with Flo.

@rwolfe546, my guess is that because your Jeep is just a year old, the insurance company will try to fix it. Sounds like a $10k to $15k repair bill from my couch.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,836
    edited August 4
    I've never heard of insurance rates plummeting due to a simple phone call. A previously missed 10% discount or two totaling 20% maybe, but not 100%+ in discounts. Geico should be cheap insurance, because when you make a claim, EXPECT to be dealt with cheaply. I accept that I buy cheap insurance and receive the same in return on a claim. What sucks is when you don't know you are paying for cheap insurance (sure doesn't seem like it when you are paying the bill), but then your expectations don't get met at claim time.

Comparing prices in my area for my vehicles, Geico is a cheap insurer, and you get what you pay for with them. They will not hesitate to change one tire on an AWD car where the manual says to NEVER change less than 2 tires at a time, and they won't hesitate to verbally state an unloaded car seat (no baby was in it at the time) is OK to use after an accident. Only when you ask them to simply put it in writing their policy is to not replace car seats or bases when they are unloaded in an accident, do they then fork over the $60 or so bucks for a new base. Shady.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,354
    rwolfe546 said:

I have a 2015 wrangler unlimuted sport with all the options it is also lifted with larger tires and aftermarket bumpers with 15k miles

So they are ordering a transmission line to get that filled and sealed then they have to take it to a bigger shop that can do body on frame and not uni body

They said the frame shifted to a diamond and is putting pressure on the passenger side of the cab so they ar3 going to take it to a frame shop to get measurements and see how  far out of whack it is. So at this point it needs the whole front clip plus a front axel and suspension and maybe a frame

I live in PA  

The insurance company will send an adjuster to evaluate the cost of repairs. If the repairs approach a certain percentage of "book" value, approx 60-65%, they will total the Jeep and pay you the "book" value. You have a right to contest the value they offer you--you can send in your own opinion and "comps" of other similar Jeeps for sale, or you can hire an appraiser to come up with, hopefully, a higher value. If the insurance company doesn't accept your estimate or your appraiser's estimate, then you must go into arbitration, which you pay 1/2 for, and the insurance company pays the other 1/2. Your appraiser will represent you in the arbitration, so you'll have to pay him/her in addition to what you paid for the appraisal. All in all, to fight all the way through arbitration will cost you around $750 give or take. Often the referee in the arbitration will award you a little more money, and sometimes a great deal more, depending on how good your claim is.

Don't expect the insurance company to pay you very much for the aftermarket additions. Most policies restrict the amount paid for customization.

Good luck with it!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

rwolfe546 said:

I live in PA  

The insurance company will send an adjuster to evaluate the cost of repairs. If the repairs approach a certain percentage of "book" value, approx 60-65%, they will total the Jeep and pay you the "book" value. You have a right to contest the value they offer you--you can send in your own opinion and "comps" of other similar Jeeps for sale, or you can hire an appraiser to come up with, hopefully, a higher value. If the insurance company doesn't accept your estimate or your appraiser's estimate, then you must go into arbitration, which you pay 1/2 for, and the insurance company pays the other 1/2. Your appraiser will represent you in the arbitration, so you'll have to pay him/her in addition to what you paid for the appraisal. All in all, to fight all the way through arbitration will cost you around $750 give or take. Often the referee in the arbitration will award you a little more money, and sometimes a great deal more, depending on how good your claim is.

Don't expect the insurance company to pay you very much for the aftermarket additions. Most policies restrict the amount paid for customization.

Good luck with it!
    Does arbitration supersede any claims made in court by lawsuit for the "totaling" value? Is it required by most all policies to use arbitration nation-wide, or are you speaking specifically to a certain State.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
    edited August 7
    I believe all insurance companies use an arbitration clause, but given that this is a third party claim, I'd imagine you could sue the other party's insurance company. However in most cases it would be far too expensive to do so. I would think a court of law would require arbitration, prior to a law suit but you could refuse the decision in a third party claim.

I'm not an attorney and state laws differ so be advised. I always tell people to accept any reasonably fair offer or arbitration. You'll get back sales tax and registration fees, too, over and above the settlement so that's another ten percent. It's hard to disputed 2015 values because there is so much data out there.

I believe all insurance companies use an arbitration clause, but given that this is a third party claim, I'd imagine you could sue the other party's insurance company. However in most cases it would be far too expensive to do so. I would think a court of law would require arbitration, prior to a law suit but you could refuse the decision in a third party claim.

I'm not an attorney and state laws differ so be advised. I always tell people to accept any reasonably fair offer or arbitration. You'll get back sales tax and registration fees, too, over and above the settlement so that's another ten percent. It's hard to disputed 2015 values because there is so much data out there.

I agree with accepting any reasonable settlement. Choose your battles wisely.

It is when an Insurance company throws a bogus value at something (such as $1K diminished value on a 4-month old 4K mile 55,000 dollar S4); that you should dig in your heels and go straight to court. IMO Don't waste time with arbitration or mediation; it'll only wear you down; which is what they want. They will think you are bluffing about suing them until you serve them their papers. Unfortunately small claims court is the only way to do this inexpensively, and your claim is limited to $10K in CA for Small Claims.

Be prepared; they will send a very practiced non-attorney that works directly with their legal department. They are not allowed to send a full-fledged attorney, but they have highly trained advocates working for them.

The other learning lessons from my one lifetime experiencing in Small Claims court:

1) Don't assume anything.
    2) Breaking rule 1, assume they (Insurance) will argue/protest/contest every single thing and element of your case; including previously un-argued points regarding fault.
    3) Make sure you state your demands for payment, and what those amounts are currently for the judge (basically assume they know nothing about your case and haven't read a word of your application).
    4) IF it is a case of your hired appraiser vs. the Insurance companies hired appraiser (such as in a DV claim); it might be worth it to hire 2 independent appraisers to trump the one they hired. Most likely yours will be in the same ball park while theirs is dependent on being re-hired by the insurance company for hundreds of cases. Your appraisers have no such incentive as you are likely not to have many DV claims in your lifetime.
    5) Don't withhold substantiating evidence even though it is for a lower amount than you would like (Example: I didn't point out or present an Audi Dealership's Sales Manager's letter about my DV being about $5K, I solely used the appraisers number at 8,500 or so, and I ended up only getting $3,500 in DV). If I had presented the letter maybe I'd of received $5K!.

The court awarded me court and service of papers fees on top of my awarded judgement. The judgement was less than I had hoped for, but more than I was offered by the Insurance company. If you get your fees awarded, that means you "won" your case. They did not award me appraiser fees.

With a third party claim (someone hits you and it's their fault) you have a lot of options open that you don't have if you bang up your own car.