Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents

Comments

• kinleykinley Posts: 854
    and you stopped first. Being stopped in the middle of the aisle doesn't make any difference. Your engine was running, you were behind the wheel, your foot was on the brake, your hand was on the horn, but all you have to do is prove it. Now, had you been parked between cars in the proper space & the other guy backed into you, 50/50 is not fair. 50/50 is fair as you were out there also, but only stopped before he hit you. When your damage is on the middle side of the vehicle, you get more than 50/50, but when your damage is on your backside, the company figures it's a draw.
  • Couple of days ago my beautiful red 97 honda civic dx coupe (75k) was rear-ended by a SUV at a stop light. The car was towed to a local autobody shop who is telling me that the car might not be total by the insurance and it is repairable. However to me there are significant damages to the car such as the entire rear is smashed-in, the SRS light and check engine light is on. The fuel tank and the bumper reinforcement including the chassis and my exhaust is bent. The driver side quarter panel is pushed in because of the impact. Now I check the blue book value of my car which says 7,000. I don't know the cost to repair but I was wondering if this could consitutes a total wreck. Also could I compromize with the adjuster to total the car. Because I know I have a lot of headache to simple get the SRS and check engine light check out aside from the car not being and driving perfect anymore. Also I think the autobody shop is trying make me one of their customers. I told him that I don't want the car repaired. Therefore should I bring the car home so the adjust could have a look at the car at my home.

Thank you,
    Ashton
  • kbtoyskbtoys Posts: 62
    Can an insurance company raise your rates on a comperhensive claim? Also which one would raise your rates more, speeding or collision? Last how does an insurance company go by when they decide to raise your premium when you get a speeding or collision or comperhensive? Is there a formula or do they just make the figure up in there head on how much your premium is raised?
  • I saw him coming, I honked, I was stopped.

I was not 50% at fault. He admitted to his ins. co. that he backed out without looking and that he heard me honk. They still said I was 50% because there were no witnesses.

Like I said, apparently all you have to do is lie to get out of being liable for something as long as there isn't a witness.
  • cfg1cfg1 Posts: 85
    If he admitted that he backed out without looking and heard you honk, what did he lie about?
  • That's what he told his ins. co. (or so said the person I talked to over at Progressive).

He changed his story when he talked to my ins. co. (State Farm). He told them he didn't hear me honk and that he did look back before backing out and didn't see me.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    him coming back why didn't you put your car in reverse and back up? If you had time to honk you had time to move your car.
  • He came out of the spot very fast. I saw him put on his reverse lights and stopped so he could see me. He then shot out of the space backwards and hit me going about 10-15 mph - way too fast for a parking lot.

It wasn't your typical person slowly backing out of a space.
  • mateyomateyo Posts: 22
    A few months ago I walked out to a parking lot to find my car had been hit by another car. No witnesses, no note, no nothing (other than $1,300 in damage). I filed a claim with my insurance, paid the deductible, and they paid the rest. Unfortunately I didn't carry uninsured motorist coverage at the time (now I do). Will my rates go up when I renew this summer, and tarnish my record for the next 3-5 years? The insurance co. will not give me a straight answer.
  • phoenix6phoenix6 Posts: 1
    I had an accident 2 weeks ago. The man who hit me was not only a "red light runner," but was also an uninsured motorist. My car was a 2000 Suzuki Esteem GL (bought in Maryland). I am concerned that I will walk away with nothing at all. I understand my lienholder needs their $$ (they list their buyout at $9,600).

My insurance company said they will pay nothing more than face value for the vehicle. Does this mean that the insurance company will settle with the lienholder and leave me without any money to buy at least a second-hand vehicle, or will they offer me a small settlement amount for my unfortunate state?

Thanks for your help.

Just call me,

Not Wanting to Walk in 115 degree heat at 50 years old.
    your premium will not increase due to the claim, but it will go up as the market is hardening making all premiums go up. It helps to increase you deductibles at renewal time.
    When the value, thus insurance payment, is more than the payoff, the remainder goes to you. If you are upside down, you still owe the loss payee for the difference they receive from the company and the loan payoff.
  • admcadmc Posts: 1
    An insurance adjuster told my husband that we could file against the other insurance company for depreciation of my 2001 Rodeo (only 8000 miles) from my accident(I was rear-ended) due to a new law that was passed.
    However, I cannot get anyone to give me an idea of what the depreciation would be. How do I go about finding out?
    We have had it completely repaired by the dealership and they said they had no idea.
  • I'm also an insurance adjuster w/a major carrier (don't know if I should say!)in Arizona. I handle Prop Dmg and Bod Injury, but have a multi-line background w/everything from Products liab, GL, to Professional liab. I would be happy to offer my "personal" opinions on any ?'s w/the understanding that these are "OPINIONS" and do not necessarily reflect the views of this station....etc.etc.etc. You get the idea. My 'opinions' aren't always right (though they should be), because if they were I would never lose a case in Arb! PLEASE PEOPLE (esp in AZ) RAISE YOUR UNINSURED MOTORISTS LIMITS!!!
  • pamopamo Posts: 39
    My daughter was rear ended last week through no fault of hers (this is not at question). My car has an estimated $l0,800 worth of damages, including a bent frame (2001 Honda CRV). I do not want the car repaired - I feel the value of my car after this major repair is severly compromised. My agent is saying he would like to repair the car. I want it totalled, and I want full market value. What are my options?

Thanks, Pam
    a new car. Be prepared to pay some difference. The dealer makes a sale,it's body shop gets some business, the other insurance company saves on car rental expense, & you get a new ride. Were I the other adjuster, I'd offer to split the rental expense which would help to offset some difference you will pay in going from an 01 to an 02. Diminished Value enters the negotiations also with the adverse adjuster. No injuries? Good Luck.
  • pamopamo Posts: 39
    Kinley - interesting option. One dealer was trying to explain that to me - good to hear it from a second source. Will check it out.
  • metromel1metromel1 Posts: 2
    Hi. I'm 17, a guy, and I drive a 1997 Kia Sephia. I rearended my friend's car. He drives a 2002 Hyundai SantaFe. I was driving to my another friend's house and as I was driving up to park on the road that runs by his house I was slowing down and my brakes locked up. As a result I rearended my friend's SanteFe, which was parked and not moving. I tried to turn to not hit his car after the brakes locked up, but I still hit his bumper. Since his car is an SUV, its bumper is higher than mine. His car only has damage on the left side of his rear bumper. My car has a lot more damage...The right of my front bumper is damaged, I smashed my front right headlight, and the front of my right front fender is damaged. This is probably going to cost me a lot of money. I'm wondering what would be better to do. I have several witnesses that his car wasn't moving and all.
    If I claim with my insurance (Geico), I'm worried that my premiums will skyrocket. I have a decent deductable, I can't remember how much it is. If I dont claim with my insurance I'll have to pay for all the repairs out of my own pocket. His repirs wont be too bad, but I know mine will be expensive. What do you think is better to do? File with insurance or just pay out of my own pocket? Thanks.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi metromel1. Sorry to hear about your accident. If you act quickly, you should have time to get an estimate for the repairs to both of these vehicles prior to making your decision on whether to claim the accident on your insurance policy. I personally try to avoid claiming accidents on my insurance if it is at all possible. Of course, once the repair costs approach thousands of dollars, not filing a claim is not very realistic. I do live in a state with unbelievably high auto insurance costs, though. Once you have the estimates, you will be better able to make your decision.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
    your insurance premium should be higher. So as long as your premium should be higher you might as well use your policy to pay for your damage and continue to pay higher premiums for you are a higher risk driver.
  • hungrywhalehungrywhale Posts: 83
    typical insurance agent talking:

"Yes, file the claim because then we can charge you more for insurance, and I'll get bigger commissions!" That's essentially what you're saying.
  • metromel1metromel1 Posts: 2
    I live in TX, by the way. My insurance isn't too expensive compared to some states, but it is higher than my dad's I don't drive a fast car or anything, so that keeps my premiums down. I checked out two body shop places. I still need to check out some other places for their estimates. One said $800. The other said $1200. The second place was scamming me on the estimate. They want to inspect/repair the right door, mirror, hood, door molding, etc... All things that are fine and were not affected my the accident. I bought a OEM Kia right headlight off eBay for $27. Compared to the quoted price of $250 for the same exact thing. I only have to pay for installation and I'll just have to see which place charges the least. And for my friends SantaFe, he hasnt gotten back to me on it, but I'm thinking about $200, depending on where he goes.

Thanks for responding.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    This is the second discussion where you are making personal comments towardds other members that I am posting a warning. If you're not in a good mood, please do not post until you are calm enough to make constructive comments.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    Oh, I get it. In the other forum, Timmy took a shot at me, but you let it go. I shoot back and now I'm the bad guy? Whatever.

As for kinley, we all know he's an insurance salesman. The guy that started this forum asked us what the best (meaning least expensive) thing for him to do was. Most people gave good advice, then kinley rolls along and tells him that he's obviously a bad driver, so he should report it so his ins. company can up his premiums accordingly. I don't know about you, but I don't call that giving him good advice. So I call kinley on it and once again, I'm the bad guy?
    You still have no justification to make comments about other members because you do not agree with their advice. Instead of a potshot at kinley's occupation, why not politely offer an alternative, or ask why he made that recommendation. You didn't "call kinley on it" - you made an intentional dig at what YOU thought were his motives, without any constructive debate.

I didn't delete your post, hungrywhale - I warned you. There's no reason to light the matches that lead to flame wars.

kcram
    Host
    But you deleted the other one. Yet you left Timmy's "maybe you should get a puppy" post in there.

Nice double standard you've got there.
    YOu tell me what he's saying then:

"Because the accident was only your fault your insurance premium should be higher. So as long as your premium should be higher you might as well use your policy to pay for your damage and continue to pay higher premiums for you are a higher risk driver."

To me, that sounds like he's saying "It's your fault, so you SHOULD turn it in because your premiums SHOULD be higher - you're a bad driver." Doesn't sound real constructive to me. How about you?
    hungrywhale, you are putting words in others' mouths. "To me, that sounds like he's saying" still represents YOUR interpretation.

Where's YOUR advice to metromel1? What do YOU think Mel should do if you feel kinley's advice is so poor? The idea of debate is to counter with another opinion, not to criticize someone else's comments.

kcram
    Host
    I think he should get estimates on what it would cost to fix and probably pay out of pocket for it if he can afford it. I think we all know that most insurance companies will make you pay far more in the long run if you turn it in vs. not reporting it - they've got to recoup the money they gave you and still make a profit on top of it.
    The way I look at insurance is this:

I only have auto insurance for a bad wreck or if my car is stolen. Basically for the stuff I couldn't afford to pay myself.