Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento

Comments

• carspy01carspy01 Posts: 137
    Our friends in the Netherlands:

Second picture on the right. Manual. You can enlarge it.

http://www.kia.nl/nl/index_modellen.html?cat=sorento

• site815site815 Posts: 16
    Hello. I can't speak Korean. Can you speak German?
    Thanks, site815! I knew by posting my message I will get some feedback from our Korean friends. I hope some more will reply! Are you ready for the soccer world cup? dog=il sa-ram im-ni-da! West! So, but please, guys, be diplomatic in your reply! OK, back to the Sorento... You can buy the Sorento now in Korea and you might have read my comments regarding the 7-seater configuration. What do you guys think of it? Anybody out there to give us some measurements in leg room, head and shoulder room in the 3rd row to confirm my thoughts?
  • All sorento's will come with a standard V6, the 3.5L which it comes from the Hyundai XG350/kia sedona van. 16" are supposed to be standard to set it apart from the ageing but dominat Kia sportage. The Sorento is still on body on fram and not a unibody construction chassie. The sorento has 192+ Hp and about 200+ tourqe. The sorento gets its styling Shape, size, and performance from the Mercedes-Benz ML-Series, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango (mostly the Grand Cherokee. The reson for me saying this is that parent Hyundai Corparation is desing and engineering Vehicles with Daimler-Chyrsler/Daimler-Mercedes-Benz, also Hyundai is trying to become partners as well as Build and design some of there vehicles. Also you proably can tell that if you've ever seen any of hyundai's and Kia's Korean cars in Asia/Europe which are Versions of Mercedes/Acuras. More to come when I find some more Gossip.
    First of all, we are beyond prepared for the world cup, there are all sorts of facilities for foreigners in place all over the country already. Most impressive is that there are hundreds computer terminals all around the stadiums for free internet access for everyone.

The 7 seater configuration comes with all SUVs in Korea but most people take out the third row seats. They are too small to be practical for adults. The reason for their existance is that any car or truck that is designed for 7 passengers or more gets lower tax rates. Thats why manufacturers put almost useless seats in, in order to lower taxes. Once the vehicle is sold most people take them out. I guess that some people could find them useful though... But if you need to seat more than 5 on a regular basis, a minivan will be much better. But Koreans are on a SUV craze too so ..... :)

I like the Sorento and thinking about getting one. One thing I don't understand is that it uses a truck ladder frame and it is more upscale than the Santa Fe. I think this should be more utilitarian in design.

Hyundai/Kia has overlapping products.

Hyundai Terracan(Truck)
    Kia Sorento(Truck)
    Hyundai Santa Fe(Car)
    Hyundai Galloper(Truck) - Soon to be discontinued
    Kia Sportage(Truck) - Soon to be discontinued

If Terracan is to be the Luxury Truck based Suv, Sorento should take place of Galloper as a serious off-roader, but instead it tries to mimic Terracan.

Besides the confusing product mix, I like the Sorento.

I drive a BMW 525 now. Haha german cars are definetly better... just too expensive :(
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate it - not because most of it confirms my previous postings here and in the Townhall, but because you gave some good insights for everyone! I got some heat in the past for raising some of the overlap questions. Most of it still has to be seen under the product development cycle when Hyundai and Kia were seperate. But you are right - some things seem a little weird. Thanks. A friend of mine told me the "secret" behind the 7-seater configuration a while back. It is quite similar over here with some of the 2+2 seaters and insurance premiums! :-)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,700
    Sportage is soon to be discontinued? Say it isn't so! I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 and, although I see some real good things in Sorento, I love my Sportage and would prefer the Sportage model. I don't like the fact that Kia will not offer a manual transmission in Sorento. My Sportage has a 5-speed and I prefer it for the slightly better gas mileage and IMHO better overall reliablility than automatic transmissions. When I say that I mean ALL makes and models overall. I think manual tranny's are more reliable in the Long-Haul. Love that Long Haul Warranty. I heard that Kia is tweaking the Sportage a tad for 2003 but your post above is the first that I've seen where Kia is discontinuing Sportage. No! Don't do it Kia!
    Also, maybe Kia is making the Sorento with body on frame truck-loke design like Sportage in anticipation of discontinuing Sportge. They want to offer off-road capabilities still, because they always have with the Sportage and it's(may be)going away. That's cool that there's free Internet access available to all at the World Cup stadium. Most endearing!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

site815: See, J, what you did to poor B (iluvmysephia1)? He is cying in his cereal! :-)Sorry, iluv, I could not resist, but don't worry, you will get a replacement for your Sportage. However, it might not be called Sportage...
    2003 6sp Manual Sorento
    2004 Cut-off Sorento a.k.a Sportage
    2003 Sonata Coupe with 3.0 and Sport Suspension.

All in development.
    Hi, J! Thanks a lot. I knew of the first two. That's the reason why I tried to calm iluv down, but I did not know about the Coupe. Contrary, I heard something about a Sonata Wagon for Europe...?!?
  • yeppyepp Posts: 5
    WoW. A Sonata coupe AND wagon!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Not a Sportage fan at all, but this new Sorento looks good.

Any idea of pricing?
  • dookissdookiss Posts: 3
    thanks, carspy01. german?? tall and polite in my book. i know some german guys. i am 5'10'' korean average size and i felt like middle school kid in front of them :)

anyone has interior pictures of sorento? also silver or pearl white color exterior. specially guys in korea. i really like to see some pictures from owners.

i read some articles about kia. i don't know the car well. one was positive and the other was negative. kia sedona had very good 5 star rating in crash test and had very bad result bumper test or something like that( very expensive repair cost). hope kia learn something from this.

i will be in the market again 2004. i don't buy first yr car. so i am interested in 2002 or 2003 model.
    kia sorento, mazda 6, vw passat. the list will grow. right now sorento is my favorite. if these models have no or bad navi, i will go for acura mdx. i was interested in new camry and es300, since toyota and honda has best navi. But i was very disappointed in their styling. so out of my list.

personally,i would like to spend less money as possible as i can,if the car has great navi, nice styling and interior, and somewhat solid build quility. i don't care brand or performance that much. oh, i forgot safety. it is most important.
  • bb8bb8 Posts: 60
    I have an excellent Navigation system installed in my vehicle, it is in my head! (*=*)!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dookissdookiss Posts: 3
    haha, yeah. actually, i envy guys like you who has normal sense of the direction ( is it right expression?). i have very bad sense. so i cannot find the way without navi. even my friends don't understand why i cannot find the place without map or navi. i don't understand too ^^.
    The new Matrix and Vibe have GPS navigation systems available. You should check it out.
    Take some more honey, the bee is a very good natural navigator, may be something in the honey can help you to restore your sense of direction.
    dindak: Scroll up in our discussion about pricing to the previous postings. So far (and reading some publications) I assume the range will be between 19K-24K in the US. I thought the Nav in the Matrix & Vibe is a simple DVD-system and NOT GPS... better recheck..

dookiss: Thanks a lot! My contacts to Korea were initially business, but I met a lot of wonderful people! :-) Love them all! The best links to the interiors of the Sorento can be found following posting#13 & 14. Click a little around on the "animated" site. It's worth it. Have a look at 31 as well.
    Nav system in Matrix/ Vibe is DVD based but uses GPS for location updating on the screen. It's suppose to be quite cool.
    Yepp, you're right. Got the Vibe-brochure right in front of me. DVD-based with GPS, so you'll see yourself as dots on the screen. Be careful speeding though... "Big Brother" might track you down! :-) Take care.
    OK, everybody, another great reason for the KIA SORENTO: Porsche Development Center in Weissach, Germany, was part of the development for Kia in regard to the tunig of suspension etc.
    Maybe our friends from SK can verify. Thanks.
  • yoonnyyoonny Posts: 33
    What are you doing in Korea? Have you been to any of the World Cup stadiums? I can't wait 'til the World Cup to begin. I hope Korea kicks USA's butt. I am still upset about the terrible Salt Lake City olympic games. It was exciting when I was in Korea watching the '88 olympic games.

Go Sorento! Go Korean Red Devils!
    Check out:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/index.spy?cmd=view&artid=1992

Some hints regarding trim levels and options, 3 pages plus some pics, which most of us know already.

• collins14collins14 Posts: 39
    We were looking at a Highlander but the Sorento looks pretty good. Does anyone know an approximate price on the EX (without the luxury package) and when we will see them on dealer's lots?
    I am currently a Sedona Ex owner, basically I like the Kia Sedona, I almost want to purchase the Sorento too when it is available, but the Kia's handling of it's low speed airbag deployment issue does alarm me a little bit, I didn't hear any formal confirmation that Kia is going to fix the airbag deployment problem for the current Sedona owners. I will hold off my purchasing decision may be until after the Sorento passes all the safety tests and after 2 years into the production.
  • feilofeilo Posts: 128
    Kinda quiet out there ... anyone got the latest news on when the Sorento will hit dealers in the US? Did anyone register with Kia USA for email info on the Sorento and actually get an update? If this is coming out in the Fall, shouldn't there be some marketing going on?
    Yepp, kinda quiet. However, Kia is always like that about things. My bet is that we will see the first ones end of July/begin of August already.
    Updates from KIA-US are non-existent up to this day - guess they will send'em out AFTER our first test-drives....
  • yoonnyyoonny Posts: 33
    Juhn Myung-hun, senior executive vice president and COO at South Korea's second-largest automaker, told Reuters that increased production capacity and new models will drive sales higher in the years ahead.

"We plan to begin exports of Sorento SUVs to the U.S. in July," Juhn said.

Kia had planned to export Sorentos to the United States from April, but pushed back the start date to July due to better-than-expected domestic sales of the sports-utilities, he said.
  • debpdxdebpdx Posts: 1
    Does anyone know FOR SURE the towing capacity of the 4wd Sorrento? The articles say 3500, but is that 4wd? I almost bought a Sante Fe last week because I was told BY THE DEALER that the towing cap. was 3500, but further research proved 2200 on the 4wd, 2700 on the 2wd!!!! I need to tow a small light travel trailer with something, and am thinking of waiting for the Sorrento.