Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento

Comments

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    "So you think I am a Chevy fan? Wrong again. You made an assumption."

I know I made an assumption. Nowhere in my post said that I stated true facts. My disease sounded more like something that would belong on Harry Potter than a medical book. Besides, it was just a joke anyway.

"My last truck a Nissan 4x4, before that a Toyota 4x4. Last car was Honda Accord."

Wow, if you are looking at the Sorento, you don't need to be here. If you trade this much (Which I totally disagree with) you probably can't deal with the Kia's resale value. (Although the Sedona already is doing pretty good)

No more "attacks". I just wanted to tell you that my post was a joke. That's all.
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    I have to admit, I was kind of involved in that discussion. Please refer to postings #38, #39, #89 and especially #92. I am still working on the "promised" pictures, though.
    Edmunds-news on the "future vehicles" page is close, but not close enough. Following is a summary of the information I have up to now:
    1) The new 2005 Santa Fe will be on the Sonata-platform as before. However, as the Sonata will gain overall, think of the upcoming 2005 SF more in the Higlander/Pilot direction.
    2) The Kia Sportage replacement will be on a shortened Sorento (=truck) platform. Name of this 2004-Sportage is to change.
    3) Edmunds (as others) mistook "mule"-testings of the Elantra platform. A direction of Hyundai is a possible extended LaVita/Matrix AWD-version in the upcoming years. For 2004? I doubt it. Think of it as a Forester/Outlander/RAV4/CRV-type vehicle.

The directions seem to be pretty clear: Kia will cover the market with truck-based vehicles (shorter Sorento as Sportage-replacement & Sorento), Hyundai with an Elantra-cute ute & Santa Fe going upwards & growing. Hyundai might still offer the Terracan (truck-based) as "high end" version here. My guess would be Spring 2003 as 2004-model to bridge the gap until a "Santa Fe XL 2006" (Alabama production) might be around...
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    At the NY auto-show I asked about the Terracan and they said no plans to bring it here. Hopefully they were wrong (and they usually are). If the Terracan comes here it will likely be the replacement for my Trooper since it's boxy like the trooper, tows 5Klbs and has Hi-low range and AWD. :)

-mike
  • charlesm1950charlesm1950 Member Posts: 24
    Snappy minivan, SUV signal 'a new Kia' (USA Today)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002-08-14-kia_x.htm

Brought to you by Middle Earth, aimed squarely at the middle-market SUVs (TheCarConnection.com)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5165&sid=181&n=157

Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 EX (UK's WhatCar.com)

http://www.whatcar.com/default.asp?a=roadtest&b=single&rt=3675&admake=17&admodel=915&c=otrverdicts

I have been a bit concerned that the 3.5L engine won't have enough pull to give the Sorento lively acceleration. I'm still waiting to see 0 to 60 numbers. I was disappointed in the acceleration of the Hyundai Santa Fe. It takes over 10 seconds to get up to 60 mph.

A little back of the envelope math indicates the Sorento has about 10% more torque per pound than the Santa Fe so hopefully, the Kia will be able to get to 60 mph in about 9 seconds.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    1- Reliability? Then you should be looking at Toyota or Honda and not looking here. You just like to argue and talk. Kia is not known for reliability or finish quality. As for your Trooper heap, Isuzu is ALWAYS at the bottom of a quality rating list, near Kia. Every GM brand is much higher than either. You got to be kidding me on this one. JD Power lists this information.

The main selling point for Kia is price. I can't wait for Edmunds to post Sorento prices with options. You need to rethink this brand.
    "2) The Kia Sportage replacement will be on a shortened Sorento (=truck) platform. Name of this 2004-Sportage is to change."

Once again Carspy01, you are correct as usual.

I have also heard buzz that the new Sportage (I refuse to call it something else) will use the 2.4L (Maybe) DC, Hyundai, Kia, Mitubishi Joint-Venture Engine. It's going to have all the goodies. VVT-i for an example. With the DOHC head, I heard (Somewhere, I can't remember) I think it's horsepower will be in the 170-180 Range from a 4 Banger. Sounds sweet to me.
    Um, The trooper has been rated #2 in CR and JD Powers behind the 4-runner since '97, that's a fact Jack.

Most Troopers go well over 200K miles w/o major repairs, that's a fact too. I have nothing but respect for Toyota trucks, just way too pricey for my tastes. If I could afford a TLC I'd get one, but since I can't then the Trooper which is #2 in it's segment will have to do as far as reliability.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A little off-topic drift is normal and expected, but life and death grudge matches about Chevys, Isuzus et. al. are best left to the comparison topics.

Any new Kia owners in here that would like to jump in?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    ACHTUNG EVERYONE: Yellow Card from Steve! Next foul, and we're out! :-)
    I really think the Sorento is gonna kick some major butt in the market. I can't wait to see it in the flesh and test drive one.

-mike
    I've read reviews for years of cars. 95% of the time they are total bogus, either pumping up a crappy car due to advertising money by the company that puts out the car, or being torn down by the reviewer due to prejudice or lack of under the table payoff money. So now I just go out and check em out for myself cause at least I know what I like in em.

Anyone know when they are hitting the East Coast Show rooms?

-mike
  • mrgallupmrgallup Member Posts: 31
    Like most every Edmunds review - I found this one to be pretty fair and balanced. Additionally, it was pretty clear that they did more than a 15 minute, 3 mile test drive around the KIA lot. I do have to say that I was a little disappointed in the results of the review.

This is probably due to mostly personal reasons - I am going to buy something SUV before the end of the year - and have been considering the Jeep Liberty, Toyota RAV4 and Highlander, and the Honda CRV. Was really waiting anxiously for the Sorento - figured it would give me the room of a Highlander, the truck ride of a Liberty with the price of a CRV. While I think it delivers on that - it also seems to come with the gas mileage of an Expedition. 18 miles on the Highway for a 4WD? Yikes. Don't get me wrong - I know its a 6cyl - 4wd - heavy truck - I guess I just expected more. And we all know that mileage figure was obtained while the truck was rolling downhill with a strong tailwind, and the tranny in neutral. You and I are going to see something more like 15 mpg. ouch!

I also understand that in the scheme of things - a few miles per gallon doesn't amount to much - i.e. a couple thousand dollars in fuel costs (assuming $2/gal for $100,000 miles).

I was also a little bummed at comments like - "the leather feels stiff and cheap"

I won't know till I testdrive one - and I am still thinking this seems like a heck of a value overall - but I guess I was hoping for a little more.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh, this one. Gotcha! (Have to remember to check the main edmunds.com page more often <g>).

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    What I didn't expect was the high praise for the interior design and quality of material (they liked it so much, they repeated the paragraph!).

I'm still confused about the "segment killer" title, though.
    I have been researching SUVs under $25,000 for a couple of months and have been anxious to see a Sorento. It has been my observation that Hyundai and Kia lack engine technology. Look at the specs for any of their vehicles and compare the performance of the engines against a similar displacement engine in another manufacturer's vehicle and you'll find the horsepower, torque and gas mileage are all about 10% below the norm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very interested in the Sorento. I think it will be a great value. I'll have to see it and drive it myself before I can decide if it rates so well in other respects to have to spend $1500 more a year for gas.

I have talked to my local dealer and he assured me he would call as soon as he has a Sorento. He is expecting them in September. Unfortunately, KIA has not given them an exact date or what the mix of models will be.
  • adu1adu1 Member Posts: 47
    The USA Today article (link in message # 203) says, "Kia staffers are bristling that Hyundai is dictating a car-based platform for the next Sportage small SUV instead of Kia's tradition of a more durable truck chassis." ("Dictating" doesn't sound like Kia will have much say in the matter -- he didn't say "suggesting.") I guess no predictions regarding the Sportage replacement can be determined to be "correct" until the vehicle is in dealerships?!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Yea, they arent worth much to me. I think they are great for FINDING OUT general information on new designs, but I dont put much credo in what they have to say. Edmunds should stick to long term tests (which are pretty good, but conducted a bit strangely) and their many useful article and purchasing tools. Car and Driver serves me well, and despite its flaws, Consumer Reports provides the best reliability data that we have available. USA Today's Healy is good for an editorial type column, as well.

My point- Regardless of the overall impression left on edmund's reviewers, I think its important to use it as only one piece in the puzzle- and I think the Sorento is a promising vehicle.
    ~alpha
  • treybrad1treybrad1 Member Posts: 10
    The Hyundai base engine architecture will (this has been confirmed in the press already) be used by ALL of DCX (this includes Mercedes). Each Group will design and engineer it's own unique models from this base architechure. Everything from a 80-90hp 1.1L to a fire breathing 300hp 2.5L is possible from the base engine.
  • treybrad1treybrad1 Member Posts: 10
    http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0205/06/autos-482712.htm

SEOUL (Bloomberg) Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's largest automaker, said its new venture with DaimlerChrysler AG and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. will use an engine based on its technology and lead to royalty payments from the partners.

The automakers will each make 500,000 passenger car engines, based on Hyundai Motor's newly developed model. The 1.8 to 2.4- liter engines will be made at the automakers' own plants and be used for their own future models. The Korean automaker expects to receive royalty payments for its engine design starting in 2005.

The three automakers signed an accord yesterday to set up a venture for the design and development of four-cylinder gasoline engines. The venture, called Global Engine Alliance L.L.P., will be equally owned by the three companies. DaimlerChrysler owns 10.5 percent of Hyundai Motor and 37 percent of Mitsubishi Motors and is looking for ways to reduce costs and risks in developing cars.

"The agreement is a sign that Hyundai Motor has gained acceptance for its technology for engines used in smaller cars," said Lee Young Seog, who manages 500 billion won ($390 million) at Dongwon BNP Investment Trust Management Co. "The next step for Hyundai will be to raise its competitiveness for engines for bigger cars."

Hyundai Motor will begin using the engines for its own cars in March 2004, DaimlerChrysler will start using the engines in June 2005 and Mitsubishi Motors will begin using the engines in March 2006.

DaimlerChrysler and Hyundai Motor formed a venture last year to produce engines for commercial vehicles.

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please, let's refrain from extensive quoting of copyrighted articles! The proper way to handle copyrighted material is to cite it, summarize it and possibly include short quotations from it.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I thought the overall feel of the Edmunds review was positive. I am looking forward to seeing one in person, that's for sure.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and complimentary of the new South Korean SUV offering. I sure like it's looks and the features sound impressive. Everything's pretty upbeat with my favorite carmaker right now and the Edmunds review reflects that optimism. It's deserved optimism and Sorento, though not without flaws, should help solidlify confidence in Kia reliability and performance issues. Still lacking in the JD Power intitials and a corner that Kia needs to improve upon indeed. Gas mileage in my '01 Sportage 4x4 base model is around 25 mpg and that's with a 2.0L 130hp 4 cyl.engine. The Sportage is heavy with a trucklike frame and the need for a more powerful engine is one big knock on it coming from Sportage owners and critics alike. This is going to be a fun SUV to follow and I like it, but frankly, I like my smaller Sportage-sized mini-ute better. To hear that Hyundai is dictating to Kia that the next mini-ute MUST be car platform-based is nasty news. That is the topic I'm going to want more information on up ahead. BTW-me Sporty's at 27,350 miles and running like a top! Over and out!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• geenancegeenance Member Posts: 7
    here is a link that I came across that has some good pictures (including interior) of the Sorento (with Ontario plates..so they're here). My husband and son saw 2 Sorentos driving together when we were in the Muskoka area of Ontario a few days ago. The pictures look like they might have been taken there, so I wonder if they were being delivered to local dealers.

http://www.canadianautoreview.com/kia_sorento.htm

Our local dealer here in London Ontario told us he was expecting 2 "mid-August" for showroom and test drive, and a larger stock in early September.

#224: Thanks, Nancy, and happy Sorento-hunting up there in Canada!
    #217: Adu - I know those reports in regard to the Elantra-based replacement for the Sportage, however, I stick to my previous postings. BTW, USA Today reported years ago that Hyundai will produce Mercedes cars after DCX bought into Hyundai... Well?!?
    Various: Global Engine Alliance - in contrast to some of the rumors and previous reports, Mercedes will NOT use engines out of that joint-venture (yet???). Hyundai first, Mitsu and Chrysler division, yes. The smaller engines are to be used in the Smart-mini cars (2 doors) in Europe as well as the upcoming Smart 4-door, which is a joint venture with Mitsubishi. Decision of use in revised Mercedes A-class (Europe) is outstanding.
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    All those beautiful Sorento's in the canadian review are currently parked at the KIA head office in Mississauga, Ontario. They were given to various auto journalists so they can evaluate them, and they look like they have been tested :)
    wonder if they will sell them as demos at a discounted rate.
    So far I like these new SUV's. What shocked me though is the price tag. At $35,795 CAD, KIA is in the big leagues now. This is about $7000 more expensive than a Hyundai Santa Fe, top of the line. It is not a bargain, and it seems like the good old days of underpriced Korean cars is coming to an end.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    or is the price of the Sorento getting higher and higher. I wouldn't be surprised if dealers start charging $4K-$5K over the price. Maybe even asking up to $40K for an EX.
    Is that Canadian? I hope so, because 40 grand in the US of A will buy one heck of a nice Expedition instead! I hope the dealers don't try ADM.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    it sounds like Tarakan which means Cockroach in Russian :)
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    Kia doesn' t follow Acura's way of marketing and dealing in which they become to arrogant to negotiate with you.
  • venanzikvenanzik Member Posts: 72
    is the sunroof standard on the ex? Kia's website said it was but the picture form a few posts up states sunroof on ex-l version. guess we can wait and see.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Why are you leaving the best Small SUV off you test drive list? The Maxda Tribute/Ford Escape, #1 Small SUV according to all who have compared it, including Edmunds.
    The review here in Edmunds says a sunroof is standard equipment on an EX. I guess we'll see soon enough. I also hope the dealers don't get arrogant. When the Sedona took off I heard about people having problems with dealers. Same way with the new Sonata and Hyundai dealers. I'm sure there will be some to an extent when they first come out and are not as plentiful. I think they need to watch out, though. At 22 grand or so, they seem to be a heck of a deal. At $26,000+, an Explorer starts looking real good, IMO.
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    I have to agree with other posters concerning price. It seems to cost about the same as a Liberty. Why don't they put a larger engine in the Sportage, it seems to continue to sell well.

Don't worry about losing low priced cars. If the Koreans abandon the low end, another seller will fill it (I hear Yugo is coming back). But, I fear that they will not have the quality of KIA. I have had my Sephia (one of CR's most hated cars) for four years with no problems. Oops, better knock on wood.
  • mvaldivimvaldivi Member Posts: 24
    I've read at Detnews.com that the Sportage would be dropped off for just one or two years, so it doesn't cannibalize the Sorento sales. After that, it would come back, but over a car platform (If I'd speculate, it would be the Carens platform because it seems the best suited).
    I've read in many places that Hyundai/Kia is putting a lot of their money into R&D of bigger and luxury vehicles. They're begging DXC to give them big-car technology, but I don't think Germans are dumb.
    I don't either believe Yugo would come back (even if they want to). As far as I remember, we bombed one of their plants during the Bosnian war. And yes, I agree the small-car market will always be served by someone. There are plenty of decent carmakers out there (IE. Citroen, Peugeot, Seat or Skoda). Personally, would like to see Seat or Citroen in the US.
    "I've read at Detnews.com that the Sportage would be dropped off for just one or two years, so it doesn't cannibalize the Sorento sales"

First off, I can't believe that Truck-Tough Kia would ever leave Truck Based Trucks and SUV's. I just can't see that happening.

Second off, I can't see how Kia would think that Sportage would cannabalize Sorento sales. They are both in a different calss and price range.

Also, the Sorento is now aimed in Grand Cherokee, and Pathfinder territory.
    Nice postings, both of you, but I guess if you follow my postings, you know my opinion... there is no doubt, that H & K will move upwards just to get a little larger piece of the margin pie. Still, I'm a firm believer that a shortened Sorento-platform will be used for a Sportage replacement as I mentioned before. Right now, there's a lot of politics going on behind the H & K doors, who is getting what, etc.
    I posted somewhere a while back a link to the new Carens II and send a corresponding letter to Kia US. I think this vehicle will fit perfectly in the car based hatch category, and will complement Kia's car line here. However, Kia needs a Sportage replacement, no doubt about it.
    Hyundai on the other hand is surely surprised about the success of the Optima/Magentis under the Kia-label, as well as the Sedona and Sorento. I bet there a some H-execs, who would have rather seen the Sedona and Sorento in their line-up. That is one of the reasons why the "Elantra-based-AWD-LaVita-hatch-crossover" testings are going on, with the rumor of giving it to Kia...
    However, all in all, after H & K will leave the lower segment - and it's only a matter of when not if -, it will open the doors for others. I do not think that any of the current makes will be too successful, UNLESS they import lower priced vehicles from their transplants in Brazil, Thailand, China etc.... Yugo will come back (it's decided), and I'm sure the other European brands will re-enter via their highly important Mexican and Latin American markets. However, those are no "low-cost" players. Within the next 5 years I see additionally some of the mainland China companies exporting to the US, and the highly successful Tata-group from India.
  • parker002parker002 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for an hour and I can't find any pricing on the Sorento. Are we talking 20k to 22k or are we talking 25k to 27k for 27k i'll pick up a 2001 bmw 325i and suffer through the lack of 10 cubic feet of cargo space.
    18K-26K probably. Kia SUV's (Or any SUV for that matter) are always costlier than the brand related minivan, which I think, is ridiculous.

I know how Kia can make a real hit with the Sedona! Use the TOD system with it! That'll surely turn some heads! (Of course, this'll rely on a change from Front to Rear wheel drive)

Another exclusive: You can now order parts for your new Sorento................before you even own it! I checked that out on http://www.kiausaparts.com today. Of course, none of the dealers have them in stock..........................

The Edmunds review said the LX starts "under $20,000" and the 2WD EX starts around $22,500. The fully loaded 4WD EX with the luxury package is said to be around $27,500, I believe.
    should be announced end of next week latest.
  • traveledtraveled Member Posts: 1
    Involved in the logistics of shipping product from Asia (including Korea), I know that it takes 35~45 days to reach port at LA. Figure another couple of weeks for land transit to other regions of the country. I read an early posting that quoted a financial statement from Kia - something about better results due to shipping,,, US,,, July. If that was shipping TO (loading ships) as opposed to shipping in (driving out of dealer lots), then we shouldn't expect to see any until Sept/middle.
    As I do not dispute your experience in Asian logistics due to your job, you might want to look into other forwarders and a better & more reliable service for your products... Your given 35-45 days can only mean that somebody is not doing their job overseas as well as for clearance or pre-clearance in the States. I have shipped thousands of tons of break bulk, specialties & containers all over the world - wherever I lived & and for whom I worked. From Europe to Australia, from Asia to Europe and US, the other way around... Latin America, Africa, Near East... you get the picture. H & K in Korea have own designated ports for overseas shipments. And their own lines. And their own handlings ports near Rotterdam (Europe) and 5 in the US, not only for inspection but "port installed options". Try 21-26 days. However, most of the initial Sorentos have been in the country for weeks now, with weekly additional ones. Test drive one, buy one, have fun, and kick some butt with your transportation companies!
    Steve, buddy, I have some pictures on webaddresses of the Sorento in transit by ship. However, I can not post the links as I get a message "that I can not post words longer than 115 letters"?!?!?! The links, however, are longer!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    try http://makeashorterlink.com

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

• saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    called several Kia dealers in Dallas and I got different answers each time. The earliest date is mid september and latest mid november. How can dealers in same city have such wide range of dates? One dealer even tried to make me come in and put a $500 deposit down.

I read some messages in hyundai santa fe forum. It goes all the way back to 2000 and most people who purchased santa fe intially ended up paying MSRP or pretty close to it. There were lot of messages about how hyundai dealers were really marking up several thousand dollars above MSRP and how hyundai under estimated the demand and popularity of sante fe. I hope this will not be the case with Sorento.
    Tidester: Thanks a lot - that link is great!

Picture of the SORENTO in transit to Europe (July picture):

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G60C23BA1

Picture of the designated KIA handling port in Rotterdam, Europe (July picture):

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V32C25BA1

The European ones so far are NOT the 3.5l V6's we will get here, only Diesels and 2.4l 4-cyl., so the allocation of the US-bound Sorentos is secure. In 2003 Kia intends to sell 110,000 Sorentos in Europe and USA (split). For remaining 2002 Kia is planning on approx. 8,000 for the US, which are a 13-14 pcs. for each of the 600 dealerships. That said, saber86 and others, EXPECT dealers to get more than MSRP out of you! Which is sad, but capitalism...

As always, yours, Carspy01

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    to import Sorento's to the U.S. with the 2.4L 4 bangers. I know I'm probably in the minority with that wish but a Sorento with a 2.4L 4-cyl and manual 5-speed would be optimum for me. Actually, I'd test drive all of them because the Sorento tops out over 4,000 lbs.(ouch)and the smaller engine *might* be a liability. Like I said, it's a moot point anyway, since we're only getting the larger 6cyl's here. Thanks for your link-post on the pics of fresh Sorento's! What beauties! The port pic was a thing of beauty, too! Talk about a kid loose in a candy store concept! Onward and way upward Kia! Yahoooweeeeee!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    above MSRP for a vehicle. I actually wish we could have gotten the diesel Sorento here, but I'm sure our high sulphur content diesel fuel would not be appreciated.LOL.