Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix vs. Mazda Protege5

191011121315»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    welllll...that, and it is a lot cheaper for car manufacturers! Personally, I hate it, but as mikus said, it is turning up everywhere now, so there aren't a whole lot of choices. I like soft touch materials inside a car.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Just purchased a new MP5. And I am perfectly fine with not being able to tow. My previous car was a 1990 Grand Marquis.

Last summer I hauled everything my girlfriend and I had stockpiled from our apartment at college to our houses. I had the front and back seat filled, the trunk loaded with light weight stuff like pillows and what not, and the midsized Uhaul on the back loaded to the top with heavy stuff like furniture, speakers, and who knows what else. I had so much stuff I felt guilty passing the weigh station!

Anyway, even though the car burned oil and wouldn't stay in overdrive, my girlfriend in her 2000 Corolla couldn't keep up with me. I was cruising at 65-70 up and down the hills on the Mass Pike. And her car was empty! Moral of the story? If you want to tow, you don't buy a commuter car, because even the oldest of full size sedans can do the job better.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... but when you're ready to give up on the ability to tow and want something that's a little (lot!) more fun to drive, and still pretty functional and roomy inside, something in flavor Protege is your best bet :)
  • iwphilliwphill Posts: 48
    Towing capacity w/Matrix is 1500 lbs, not 1000.
  • ...but nobody else seemed to mention. I drove a Vibe before I bought the P5 (which I love dearly), and the location of the gearshift was INTENSELY uncomfortable. Not only was it a very long reach, but the throw distance between gears was VERY short, so it felt like I had to fully extend my arm to reach the lever, but then barely flick my wrist to change gears. I suppose I could get used to that over time, but it was incredibly uncomfortable. I'm 5'10" and a moderate build, has anyone else noticed this?
  • stillageekstillageek Posts: 101
    I have grown accustomed to having the shifter close by. I have a Matrix XRS and feel the shifter and the throw are great. Whenever I drive my spouses 5 speed Vue I feel like I am driving an old truck. The throw is long and the shifter feels like it's out of place (even though I know every other vehicle has it there save the Matrix/Vibe and Civic Type R).
This discussion has been closed.