Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix vs. Mazda Protege5

Comments

• shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    It took them long enough but they are finally coming out with a convertible beatle. I think they probably missed the good sales window on that one.

On topic bit.
    So do you think they would ever make a convertible Matrix? (GRIN)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    What? And make that thing look even uglier? Ummm, but since we ARE talking about Toyota here ... ;)
  • 464,000 cars recalled for faulty fuel pump...
    No admission from manufacturer until the government released their crash test results...
    Sounds like Focus all over again...
    I guess I better stick with my ugly Matrix.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,690

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

:-)

3/50 (P5) vs. 3/36 (Toyota). Unless you consider the inflated Pontiac Vibe warranty! Now that might tempt some people.

Yes, rust is higher on Toyotas, but seriously - how many new cars would rust in 5 years versus 7 or something?

Any other warranty coverage variations that I may not be aware of?

And, oh - Proteges (including the P5) rule, Matrices drool! (in keeping with the juvenile nature of the last few posts)
    I am talking about the powertrain warranty - you know, the one that replaces the expensive things that go wrong, like engines and transmissions.

5/60 on all new Toyotas, as it should be with all cars these days, IMO.
    Isn't being juvenile fun occasionally?

• I drove both the MP5 and the Matrix and much preferred the MP5. In both I tested automatics. I felt the MP5 had better pickup and handling. I was unimpressed with the Matrix and I thought it would be a better ride. I think for the money, the MP5 is a great car. I just wish I could be ABS w/ side airbags without having to get a moonroof.

Megan
    To keep costs and logistics down, most manufacturers bundle options together based on market research. Now, sometimes, this research is not really very accurate, but that's jut the way it is.

If I remember correctly, Toyota traditionally nickel-and-dimes the buyer for everything, and has some of the weirdest option groupings of all manufacturers - don't know if that's true of the Matrix, though, But I think the P5 options are still somewhat acceptable!
    On the P5 that is the one thing you have to order in a package deal. Everything else is pretty good. I know in the past I've messed around trying to get a reasonably price Toyota with SOME options that I wanted and it's not possible/economical. They make you step up to the higher trim level to get some options. (things like sunroof and ABS that kind of thing) I'm not sure about the Matrix I experienced it mostly with their pickups.
    has standard A/C and CD player, which I think is pretty good for $15K, but then of course, find me one that has no added options...it may be impossible!

OTOH, the XR (middle) trim level has standard pdl, pw, pm as well, and keyless entry as well, and at around $16.5K I think that is a pretty good deal. Most XR's however have the sport kits with rocker sill extensions, foglamps, and extended air dams front and rear. I paid $19K for mine, which had those packages plus moonroof and alarm, all of which I wanted. At that price, I still think it is a pretty good deal for what you get.

The simple fact is, Matrix is bigger inside than Pro5...which one you prefer seems to depend largely on whether you value that extra space or prefer a small sporty hatch. I test-drove both, and there is no way I would take four people from L.A. to San Francisco in the Pro5, for instance. For me, the space was a priority. Plus, I like the looks a little better, and where I live, Mazda dealer support is a joke, so I didn't want to get stuck with that.

• thelthel Posts: 767
    Seems like all the Matrices around here have the large air dams that just don't appeal to me. For some reason, the body kits on the P5 just seem to fit and be in scale giving the P5 a truly sporty yet refined look. The Matrix looks to "aftermarket" for me, kinda like the Lancer that are out now. But to each their own.
    I personally like the look of the Vibe better than the Matrix. I don't know it just seems like the designers were trying just a hair too hard to make it look "Techno". The P5 is a little more subdued but seems to flow a little better. I don't know, looks are such a subjective thing

I think the seats in the back of the P5 are plenty big. I've had large people that were surprised at how roomy it was. The headroom in a Matrix however is much better. I looked at the stats and it was about 2 inches taller. The leg room in back is about .9 inches better. That's no suprise though the car is about one inch longer. (GRIN) Of course the one measure that really matters is the hip room and it's not listed for the back seats for the P5. (Doh!)
    P5/Matrix

Front Headroom 39.3 in/40.6 in.
    Rear Headroom 37.4 in/39.8 in.
    Front Shoulder Room 53.9 in/53.2 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room 53.4 in/52.6 in.
    Front Hip Room NA/51.7 in.
    Rear Hip Room NA/47.8 in.
    Front Leg Room 42.2 in/41.8 in.
    Rear Leg Room 35.4 in/36.3 in.

**Maximum Luggage Capacity 19.8 cu.ft/21.8 cu.ft. Maximum Seating 5/5
    i just looked at the stats for the Subaru Legacy Wagon (the next car I was going to buy my wife) and Both the Matrix and the P5 beat it in rear legroom!

It only has 34.3in of legroom. Of course it also has 34cu.ft of lugage space.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mazda dealer support is a joke, so I didn't want to get stuck with that.

I agree, they are down there with Toyota.
    in a 20-mile vicinity of my house:

Toyota - 5

Mazda - 1

Went to buy oil filters at my Mazda dealership for a short time I owned an RX-7 - they did not stock them, and had to be ordered. Same for every single thing I ever needed for that car.

Took that same car there for routine service, they managed to screw up a tune-up/tire rotation.

This may just be a phenomenon related to the individual dealers in my area, but on the flip side I will say that for a short time I had a 1969 Toyota Corona I was working on, and whenever I needed parts for it, they could be special ordered in a day. And when I needed oil filters and the like, they had them!

Until Mazda puts more of a focus on the quality of their dealerships - that is sales, parts, AND service - their cars are going to have to be the most rip-snortin'est, far and away the best cars around for me to buy one.

within 20 miles of me -

Mazda 8
    Toyota 20

I don't know what the story was with your RX but here in So Calif, their parts warehouses are walking distance from each other and they both offer one day part orders.

According to surveys I've read, all the non-luxury Japanese brand dealers do a poor job of customer service; Toyota is no exception.
    It couldn't have had anything to do with the fact that you had a Rotary engine at all. (GRIN)

It's funny initially when I bought my P5 I didn't have any Mazda dealerships really close. Since then 2 have popped up within 6 miles or so. I've had good luck with service with the dealership I bought my car from but they went out of their way to sc**w you on price.

The only Toyota dealership I ever went to I vowed I would never go back. The salesman were such dorks that I gave up on them entirely. Years later I still won't go back.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    My nearest Mazda dealer is about an hour and a half away. But I have a great, local independent who does my services when I can't do them myself.

With a year and 24k miles on my P5, I haven't ned a SINGLE repair or adjustment.

{looks for some wood . . .}
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    um.... no comment...
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    hahahaha! Get your mind out of the gutter TBH! :-D
  • I like the more modern jewel tail lights of the Matrix compared to the older type of the Vibe.
  • http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/vibe/access/supercharger.jsp?source=vibema&pagename=vibeacsprv

You can now get a supercharger for the vibe and I assume toyota will be offering soon also. The low end low rpm torque will be welcome.

After finally driving a base Vibe I found I didn't like it at all. The seats are so squishy I feel like i'm going to fall off my perch every time I round a corner. I was looking at it to replace my wifes car. I own a Protege5 and we are almost ready to buy another one except for one small detail. You can't tow ANYTHING with a Protege5. At least with the Vibe/Matrix you can tow up to a 1000lbs. We don't want to tow a boat just a small utility trailer every once and a while. However my wife didn't like it and neither did I. Too bad though. It's got plenty of good features
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I don't know if I'd want to do that.
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    I don't tow anything at all so I do not pay attention much on this feature, but does someone know what prevent the P5 to tow?
    The P5 owners manual says not to tow anything, so if you do, you could have warranty problems.

Raymond (meinrad on here) has a Hidden Hitch on his P5 that he uses for a bike rack. I think he said the place that installed it said it could be used for towing, but I don't know what the limit is. Maybe he'll pop-up in here with his comments.
This discussion has been closed.