Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-Type Jaguar (XKE)

2»

Comments

• rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Aren't clutches a pain to replace in an E-Type as well? Never done one, but I've been told you have to pull the engine out to get at it?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Yep, you do. It's a big job that you don't want to do every 30K miles but that's the deal if you own one.

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    What wears so quickly, the disc or the pressure plate? Would it make sense to put in a HD clutch (not a racing clutch) even if it meant more pedal pressure?
    I don't know about that. I think it wears quickly because it's not very large and the engine is pretty powerful and torquey. I suspect a HD clutch would rather ruin the car's silkiness. It would be much harder to push down on the pedal, more like a contemporary Vette or Ferrari, neither one of which is very pleasant to drive in traffic.

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    I think I'd rather exercise my left leg than my wallet :-).
    Oh, you can't outguess an E-Type. If you solve the clutch problem, something else will come up to bite you anyway. Just take a hit in the nose and see what's involved to straighten and align that huge nose cone!

Oh, the things people go through for love!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    So driving a little 5-speed Alfa Spider in traffic would make a modern Vette or Ferrari/Lamborghini look like beasts in traffic, right?
    Well, based on SIZE, yes. You don't exactly "dart" in and out of traffic in a new Vette or Lambo. For one thing, you don't have good sight lines over fenders, etc, and for another, these two cars are WIDE. But I don't think either a VEtte or Lambo would be a CHORE or anything...you just would have to be careful and not make any sudden moves with all that size, weight and power. A little Alfa has none of the above :)

I'll be more than happy to step in for anyone in need of releif!
  • wtodd2wtodd2 Posts: 3
    Had a '64 and a '67, both roadsters, both a bittersweet love affair. They were quick, good riding, great looking, good handling and great at high speed (120++). On the downside, needed lots of attention, many troubles, particularly overheating, and difficult to work on. As mentioned, changing the clutch involved removing the bonnet and standing the engine/trans assembly almost on end and removing the assembly.I'm glad to have had the opportunity to have had them. Now drive a Vette.
  • impeimpe Posts: 33
    This is a follow-on to message 19. The mechanic who replaced my clutch at approx 30K miles said that the clutch "actually had some left on it" and that the severe chatter was probably in most part due to "hot spots" on the flywheel (whatever they are!). Also, the $3K included a new exhaust system too.

I am now thinking about installing an oil filter adaptor so that I can use a spin-on filter. The standard element is a pain to replace and the gasket is so thin and narrow that I always worry that I have not gotten the gasket on perfectly and the oil is going to dump all over the garage floor.

Has anyone out there installed an adaptor that allows use of a spin-on filter?

My E-Type sits next to my 69 DeVille convertible, and it is fun to see the reactions of people who see them side by side. Although the Cadillac is very attractive and is usually looked at first, most people seem to gravitate to, and spend more time around the Jaguar.

Allen Impellitteri
2»
This discussion has been closed.